Old 2011-12-29, 00:48   Link #41
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Kira from Death Note
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 13:46   Link #42
Kallen4life

1) - Palpatine all the way
- Ledger's Joker and The Killing Joke's Joker .. probably DCAU & AA/Arkham City too
- Blackbeard aka Marshall D. Teach from One Piece .. also Akainu (Sakazuki) .. and Crocodile
- my personal favorite is Wrath from FMA manga/2-nd anime
- Hazama Terumi from BlazBlue Continuum Shift
- Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, Norman Osborn - sometimes
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 15:59   Link #43
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Maybe I'm just a new generation, or I don't appreciate true evil, but Palpatine never strikes me as in any way interesting.

He's like, boring, even after the prequel "Palpatine = evil politician" insert (it's a Bush-era thing). Vader is infinitely more iconic and more important to the franchise's legacy by far.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 16:20   Link #44
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nixon, actually. (recall that he was Lucas' inspiration for Palpatine...and that The Phanton Menace came out in 1999, and that Attack of the Clones was filmed mostly in 2000. Both before Bush became President.)
Old 2012-01-02, 17:08   Link #45
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Nixon, actually. (recall that he was Lucas' inspiration for Palpatine...and that The Phanton Menace came out in 1999, and that Attack of the Clones was filmed mostly in 2000. Both before Bush became President.)
It's true. Palpatine was even mentioned in the first few paragraphs of the ANH book, which was released in 1976. Palpatine has been created and fleshed out a bit long before the Bush/Cheney era.

Endless "Imperator" Soul
Old 2012-01-02, 17:53   Link #46
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Well, there's just another evidence I'm really never going to get Palpatine then.

But seriously he's just a caricature of the villain politician, just with Sith-dark cloak, frog-like wrinkles (evil is ugly, sigh), and lighting force-thing. I'd argue that a far more disturbing "villainous" politician figure in literature would be someone like that Huey Long expy from All the King's Men, men who are too close to our own greed and ambition for comfort.

On the other hand, a far more charismatic (and funnier) "is he a villain or is he not?" politician figure would be Discworld's glorious Patrician, Vetinari.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 17:59   Link #47
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Palpatine is a villian, that uses the systems own instruments against it, to gain power.
Unlike Vader, who uses black magic of some sort.
So while one may be more intimidating with his magics, mask and evil breathing, the other is more scary as a concept, because he represents an actual threat you face in real life.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 20:57   Link #48
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
So while one may be more intimidating with his magics, mask and evil breathing, the other is more scary as a concept, because he represents an actual threat you face in real life.
One that is very hard to detect, or pick out of a crowd as well.
Old 2012-01-02, 22:21   Link #49
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
One that is very hard to detect, or pick out of a crowd as well.
What? Of course you couldn't pick out Vader in a crowd. That guy's so discreet!

Randy "I'm copying Endless Soul!" Syler
Old 2012-01-02, 22:21   Link #50
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... I might as well mention Pegasus from the Original Yu-Gi-Oh series... actually, Marik as a villain was quite good, but he more classifies under the "could've been great" category

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 22:23   Link #51
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
... I might as well mention Pegasus from the Original Yu-Gi-Oh series... actually, Marik as a villain was quite good, but he more classifies under the "could've been great" category
I like the Abridged Series versions of both much better...
Old 2012-01-02, 22:34   Link #52
Puddingman

Sandra from Legend of Mana anybody?

Kind of a typical motivation, but cool cause it was just a different perspective, not necessarily a "bad" perspective. Has a cool disguise, and a nice re-occurance rate to be considered legendary.
Old 2012-01-02, 22:36   Link #53
Amorok
Ghostbuster

Quote:
HAH. I'm SO glad you brought him up, because I've always found Pegasus to be a very intriguing character, despite his inherent ridiculousness. The best villains are the ones that have FUN doing what they do, after all xD
Old 2012-01-02, 23:35   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Actually, I found Pegasus severely lacking. Still, to be honest, most of Yu-Gi-Oh! enemies aren’t that much memorable compared to other iconic and great villains out there (and this comes from longtime Yu-Gi-Oh! manga fan). Yup, most of them are in the categories of ‘could’ve been great’. Still, there’s is one enemy that pretty much reached ‘great’ level. It’s Malik Ishtar. He’s cool and both of his personalities are totally kick-ass. Malik Ishtar himself is smart and devious. He has strong and reasonable motivation. He felt depressed and enraged since he’s been locked in a dark dungeon since his birth and expected to stay like that till the end of his life. He’s also forced to endure some great pains just to protect a 10 millenium-old tomb. As a youngster, who wouldn’t be pissed? Thus, his split personality (Yami Malik) is pretty much a given even without the power of Millenium Rod. This Yami Malik is really a good villainous character. His sadists and sado/masochist nature definitely pose a real threat in Yu-Gi-Oh! as his action is pretty much unpredictable. Not to mention that he’s capable of murdering people with his bare hands, not just through some ‘game of darkness penalty’. The only gripe I have for him is that he pretty much beg for Malik Ishtar’s mercy in the end to save his own ass (turns out he’s a little coward too). Oh, and his clothes too. I mean, a black shirt and a cape? Really? So he actually changes clothes whenever he became Yami Malik? At leat Yugi’s school-uniform cape is practical, since all he has to do is take his uniform off a little. It’s just a pet-peeve of mine .

Pegasus is good but his goal is quite ridiculous. Resurrecting his dead lover through advanced hologram device? Gimme a break, no matter how good the hologram is, it’s only an image, it won’t return her soul even with the help of millenium items.

As for Yami Bakura, he’s cool but his motivation is pretty lacking. He’s just a greedy tomb-raider who want to be the king and avenge the young pharaoh who sealed him, and that’s it. It’s his methods of revenge that keep me interested in him.

As for Kaiba, he’s a good character but he’s more of a rival figure, not exactly a villain.

Don’t even mention the traitorous priest and Zork in the ancient-Egypt arc. They’re as cliche’d as they can be.
Old 2012-01-02, 23:44   Link #55
kakakka

Kaiba was quite a villain before the mind break.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 23:46   Link #56
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Sorry guys, but I really can't take your posts seriously. All I get is the little kuriboh voices of the characters you're talking about in my head.
Old 2012-01-03, 00:00   Link #57
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't that make the Penguin of 4kids the most evil to you then?
Old 2012-01-03, 00:09   Link #58
Amorok
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Pegasus is good but his goal is quite ridiculous. Resurrecting his dead lover through advanced hologram device? Gimme a break, no matter how good the hologram is, it’s only an image, it won’t return her soul even with the help of millenium items.
He's thoroughly insane, don't get me wrong. But he's insane in a way that's less NYAAHAHA-let's-destroy-the-world-for-no-reason and more NYAAHAHA-I'm-slightly-redeemable-huh!
Old 2012-01-03, 02:50   Link #59
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The thing about Pegasus is that he was a(n) (over)confident bastard, who just sat back and let his plans work, putting in enough temptation to pull you in, and then due to his damnable Toon World, could kick your ass. Basically, he was calm, collected, and would fuck you over.

as for Marik, I classify him as "could've" precisely because his Yami side turned into a little bitch at the end, losing to the Ishtar side (yeah, I know it's a shounen series and therefore the 'good' side had to win, but still...). As for any other villains in that series... well, as much as I enjoyed the Orichalcos arc at the time, I understand it was pure filler, and no one else really stood out besides Pegasus and Marik

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 10:10   Link #60
kakakka

Adding to the Yugioh..

Yami Marik has early signs of being desperate bitch before the ending.

Spoiler for ygo:
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote