AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 17:44   Link #21
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

My dream job was to be an art designer for games, but I got sidetracked at university. I was sidetracked because I was constantly surfing during my free time with my buddies who weren't at university.

This set me back and I didn't finish university, yes money wasted. But I don't regret it at all, I now teach people how to surf each day and I travel countries with my wife and friends for tournaments. Either judging or competing, may not sound like much, but its what I love and I meet some pretty amazing people.
Old 2012-04-22, 19:14   Link #22
Alchemist007
*Author

A happy life is preferable to money, tbh.
I figure at least for now I can muster through and get some experience/money.
But my dream would actually be to become a competent (and successful) writer.
Old 2012-04-22, 21:51   Link #23
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Out of work at the moment

Dream work doing anything that do with drawing at home away from people
Old 2012-04-22, 23:52   Link #24
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Currently a senior in high school.

I've probably sent in about thirty different applications to retail/minimum wage job openings, both online and in person, and not a single business returned a call for an interview. I'm assuming it's in consequence of my age and lack of work experience, but how is one exposed to get a job if one has no experience to begin with?! I mean most of my friends are already employed or had a job last summer at some theme park, yet none of them really work at a location where they could get their friends in. Oh well, hopefully being an eighteen-year-old will increase my chances for next year... or will it?

For career aspirations, I'm going to major in political science and hopefully make my way into law. It's been my dream to become an attorney for some time now, though I certainly have my competitive work cut out for me...
Old 2012-04-23, 00:40   Link #25
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

College student. Got my first co-op or internship (whatever you want to call it) at an engineering company beginning this year.

This is my first job, but yeah, working 9-5 everyday sucks. I'm pretty glad I'm going back to school. lol.
Old 2012-04-23, 01:14   Link #26
iceyfw

currently working as a level 1 financial accountant in a health department. it's the lowest level but the work office environment is peaceful except running around to get information on why a certain ledger is all messed up in the database.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 01:47   Link #27
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'm a student, major is Chinese, minors are German and economics. Currently taking three Chinese courses, an econ course, and writing (cuz I have to). In theory I should like what I'm doing but it's hard to find motivation since I'm too lazy to turn stuff in on time.

I hope to be a translator since they can pretty much determine how much money they make based on how many jobs they're willing to do.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 02:48   Link #28
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Awesome thread, everyone has interesting jobs

I am currently a student studying Chemical Engineering. After my study I will be working at chemical plants or work on a Research & Development department for a company, who knows

as a side job (which is currently just a hobby) I would love to make some money with photoshop, making posters or retouching photos.

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:05   Link #29
Sumeragi
Banned

Head of sales and a director on the board at a small company.

Do I like it? It pays well. That's all I will say.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:17   Link #30
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Currently giving private english lessons to whoever is willing to spare a copper coin or two. Still counting the months till I get my EE degree...although honestly I like teaching more, it's much easier to do and I pick my own clients.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 05:18   Link #31
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Head of sales and a director on the board at a small company.

If you will excuse me, I'll just go to the corner and.......cry.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 07:55   Link #32
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
I've probably sent in about thirty different applications to retail/minimum wage job openings, both online and in person, and not a single business returned a call for an interview.
That's because the unemployment rate in California is terribly high. I once went job hunting there and only got a single interview. Walk-in interviews are almost unheard of. Sorry that you have to live there.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 08:13   Link #33
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Just got back home after spending a total of three hours on the commute. After four years of not having to deal with rush-hour traffic, getting to and fro my new office today was every bit the soul-sapping experience I expected it to be.

And, as expected, the slouches in the IT department had taken their own sweet time getting my new terminal ready, despite me having informed every relevant personnel of my arrival some two weeks ahead of time. It took an entire morning for them just to retrieve and transfer my Lotus Notes ID from my previous office to the Apple Mac on my table. By the end of the day, they still haven't enabled my Internet connection.

Oh, did I mention how much I hate Mac desktops? No offence to Apple — I love its sense of style and have come to rely heavily on the iPad. But as a workstation, the Mac is just f*cking retarded, no thanks to its oh-look-I'm-so-beautifully-unique one-button mouse. (WTF, no scroll button!)

*Deep breath*

But I asked for this.

My new colleagues are friendly enough but, of course, everyone was busy getting on with their hectic schedule, so I was pretty much left to my own devices. The atmosphere was cosy and decidedly professional; I felt at home right away. The get-to-know-you chats with my new bosses helped to lay out the goals and directions, further convincing me that I am in the right place at the right time.

What do I do? I'm a journalist, but now work as an editor in custom publishing, a subset of content marketing. It's similar in many ways to one of my previous jobs as a magazine editor, but with a larger scope and a far greater emphasis on client-relationship management. It's great to be in a "front office" role again, after many fruitful years of learning the operational aspects of newspaper journalism. I'm looking forward to what lies ahead.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 08:43   Link #34
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I currently work as a bike mechanic and I very much enjoy it at the moment.

However I have a few dream jobs such as a concept artist, voice actor (this one I'm actually making some reasonable progress on), or film editor.

I'm currently pursuing a visual/audio communications degree.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 09:06   Link #35
Solafighter
Hige

Airliner pilot.

Do I Like it? F*** yeah.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:32   Link #36
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
I'm a technology consultant. I like it so far..

As for my dream job, maybe a writer/scriptwriter of anything? Lol. Or perhaps a musician/songwriter. :P
Old 2012-04-23, 10:13   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I start my not-yet-licensed post graduate medical internship next week, after graduating and getting my official title as Doctor of Medicine yesterday.

And I still don't get fucking paid to do 36 hours shifts. Blargh.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 11:12   Link #38
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Structural and Civil Engineer (Unlicensed, in university until my Masters and then get my PEO license (ontario eng. license))

So I don't have my personal $tamp yet ;__; (spelled with a dollar sign because the stamp is where all the dollars come from)

Office work:
- Deriving structural detail from Architectural dwgs
- CAD: produce dwgs for each floor, elevation and sections for concrete, block, steel and rebar
- Physics: Design connections and structures so they can support all the stresses and momental forces.

What I actually do:
- Copy and paste architectural DWGs, delete fancy shit, change the colors of lines and hatches.
- CAD: Copy and paste my previous 'standard/typical drawings' and change the name of the project at the bottom.
- Physics: Put in overkill designs that can survive a meteor because the budget is ridiculously high. No need for math.

Site work:
- Answer the questions from whoever in charge of construction because they are never literate of structural drawings even though it's their job :/

What I actually do:
- I don't go on site, I'm a newborn .

I love my work. The only time I use the internet is at work (except video games). When I'm off work, my time is spent on other stuff.

The only bad side of my work is getting in disputes with architects. But that is nothing compared to jobs like TECH SUPPORT. (I have so many friends who do that and man they are losing their life span).

30~38 hours a week.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 11:17   Link #39
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Spoiler for Tidiness:
What CAD version do you use? Although I've messed around with much later stuff, my office uses the old dinosaur, AutoCAD 2006.

Endless "Playing with dinosaurs" Soul
Old 2012-04-23, 11:32   Link #40
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

- Physics: Put in overkill designs that can survive a meteor because the budget is ridiculously high. No need for math.

Site work:
- Answer the questions from whoever in charge of construction because they are never literate of structural drawings even though it's their job :/
ROFLMAO this should be in "A Laugh A Day".