AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 14:30   Link #4481
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
I don't want to turn this into another Destiny whining thread but Shinn is a much better and more likable character than Athrun or Lacus or Kira or Cagalli.
To each their own.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 16:37   Link #4482
Ferhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Sooo, if opinions haven't changed in the past two years FT is still a transitional novel (and I honestly hope it is), meaning chances of animation and thus incorporation into the GW canon are pretty much null.
Besides, when you have a GS movie that promises thrice as much money once animated I think it's safe to assume Sunrise will sooner push for that.
Thank you so much!

Well, let's hope then that FT is just some bad trip and he's going to do something worth a cannon afterwards
Ferhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:09   Link #4483
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferhb View Post
Thank you so much!

Well, let's hope then that FT is just some bad trip and he's going to do something worth a cannon afterwards
The thing is, if it is meant to transtion into Canon work FT will likely become canon in Flashbacks or setup material.

As it stands, the series can't really transition to something with how many things are happening and how far Mars has come as well as the amount of Children that have been had by Milliardo.

So if Gundam Wing 2.0/Sequel does ever happen they will need to complete write out FT and just move on from EW, but that interview doesn't really suggest to me that is what Sumizawa wants to have happen.
Old 2012-06-25, 17:33   Link #4484
Ferhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post

So if Gundam Wing 2.0/Sequel does ever happen they will need to complete write out FT and just move on from EW, but that interview doesn't really suggest to me that is what Sumizawa wants to have happen.
Oh, well... Sumisawa's been fired once! Maybe they'll put some sense into his head soon...
That is, if they want to do a Gundam Wing 2.0. Because it was fine the way it was. Sumisawa was the one who wanted to give continuity to something that was already finished. And brilliantly finished.

Or FT's just gonna be canceled or put to an end in an year or so and period.
Old 2012-06-25, 18:08   Link #4485
FalsePrime

Quote:
Oh, well... Sumisawa's been fired once! Maybe they'll put some sense into his head soon...
That is, if they want to do a Gundam Wing 2.0. Because it was fine the way it was. Sumisawa was the one who wanted to give continuity to something that was already finished. And brilliantly finished.

If speculation those who are speculating that the EW Master Grades we are going to see in about the next 4-5 months are indeed based on Promethus and the other Frozen Teardrop suits then I don't see the second as being likely.

Granted they might not, but if they are then Bandai obviously feels they are doing well enough. Not only that but we haven't heard any ramblings of a cancel and even if we did we would likely see AGE and all it's various spin offs canceled first and given how they seem to be willing to ride that out Frozen Teardrop is probably pretty safe.

Granted a part of me also hopes that if Wing is ever brought back into Anime form they would use something other then FT and not refrence it at all. Or if they did they do heavy rewrites and have the lead writer be someone else.

That and lets be honest. Wing fans despite loving/hating FT really shouldn't be hoping for it to be canceled. All that would do would be sending a message to both Sunrise and Bandai that Wing shouldn't be bothered with. As it stands both C.E. and A.D. are much more popular and they will likely use them over Wing for a long time and FT being a commercial failure could potentially push Wing further away.
Old 2012-06-25, 18:13   Link #4486
Aldaeus

Quote:

Or, they'll just ignore Endless Waltz or have flashbacks changing its continuity like so many other anime series that have gotten continued where they were originally closed have.
Aldaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:17   Link #4487
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:

And with almost each passing chapter, we're finding out why. I could be wrong, but I think he's got creative freedom. He'll be allowed to be continue twisting the series.

Like I've said, at least GoL has been pretty damn good.
Old 2012-06-25, 18:20   Link #4488
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

"Wu Fei was a nerd who married Chun Li." Best summary of Wu Fei's EZ ever. xD
Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
I don't want to turn this into another Destiny whining thread but Shinn is a much better and more likable character than Athrun or Lacus or Kira or Cagalli.
I'm with Prime on this one. Cagalli I wanted to slap, Lacus I wanted to strangle, Kira I just wanted to blow up and Athrun I wanted him to get his head out of his behind. As for Shinn, boy did he need a good ol' trashing... I guess you can judge by my level of aggressiveness that our opinions differ. lol

Quote:
He? No thanks. They? Be my guest.

Quote:
The thing is, if it is meant to transtion into Canon work FT will likely become canon in Flashbacks or setup material.

As it stands, the series can't really transition to something with how many things are happening and how far Mars has come as well as the amount of Children that have been had by Milliardo.

Funny that you mention that. I guess this is exactly what GoL is then, isn't it? GoL has already incorporated elements from FT and seeing how its plot is deviating from the series, it'd be unfitting to call it a retelling. Meaning FT might as well be the continuation of GoL, which oddly enough puts me at easy quite a lot.

By the way, you lost me at "the amount of children Milliardo had." What's that got to do with anything?
Just to clarify, I take "transitional work" as an experimental project to see what elements to keep and what to never mention again as long as humanity exists.
Nonetheless, even if you try to continue from where FT will end, I don't really see a prob with him having kids. He is officially dead, after all. Or weren't people aware that old fart Milliardo was Dixneuf? Huh, I guess Noin wouldn't be called a widow if they were... Or maybe she would? I'm confused. It's not like this dang novel has any reservation about incest..!

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2012-06-25 at 18:31.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:58   Link #4489
Ferhb

Quote:
That and lets be honest. Wing fans despite loving/hating FT really shouldn't be hoping for it to be canceled. All that would do would be sending a message to both Sunrise and Bandai that Wing shouldn't be bothered with. As it stands both C.E. and A.D. are much more popular and they will likely use them over Wing for a long time and FT being a commercial failure could potentially push Wing further away.
I know. I shouldn't be hoping for it to end. It's more Wing material, afterall. It's just a little bit frustrating how it turned out. Okay, I'll try to look at the bright side of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post

Like I've said, at least GoL has been pretty damn good.
Yeah, and that's the thing that bothers me most: it's the same author! How could that be?
Either Sumisawa has 2 personalities, and one's taking care of FT while the other of GoL, or he's keeping a (good) surprise for us at the end... maybe FT has a good future (again, trying to be positive)!

... or you can't mess up that much with something that you've already made and that was a big hit in the past.

Quote:

GoL's been good so far... He's responsible for Episode Zero alone, and I find that pretty good. Let's give the man some credit. Unless he's got Alzheimers... or is addicted to meth.

Quote:

Funny that you mention that. I guess this is exactly what GoL is then, isn't it? GoL has already incorporated elements from FT and seeing how its plot is deviating from the series, it'd be unfitting to call it a retelling. Meaning FT might as well be the continuation of GoL, which oddly enough puts me at easy quite a lot.
I don't know if it puts me at ease or makes me uneasy... I guess we should wait and see...
Old 2012-06-25, 21:12   Link #4490
DuoRanger
Banned

i'll take this in fact, FT its just Duo or Hilde having a Total Recall-ish dream where Hilde is dead and duo is just a random redshirt waiting to be killed alone in the next episode, while his "son" and his best friend are trying to be the next Amuro Ray and Judau Ashtar.
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:34   Link #4491
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaeus View Post
Or, they'll just ignore Endless Waltz or have flashbacks changing its continuity like so many other anime series that have gotten continued where they were originally closed have.
That would be a bad idea since EW was very popular. They wouldn't erase it from the canon, it would only upset old and new viewers.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:42   Link #4492
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Last I checked Sunrise manages to upset old and new viewers every time they release a new Gundam series regardless of whatever retcons may or may not happen. >.>
Old 2012-06-25, 23:21   Link #4493
Destined_Fate

They haven't retconned out any of the old Gundams though unless you count ZZ not happening due to the Zeta Movies.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:52   Link #4494
FalsePrime

Quote:
"Wu Fei was a nerd who married Chun Li." Best summary of Wu Fei's EZ ever. xD
Anyway.

I'm with Prime on this one. Cagalli I wanted to slap, Lacus I wanted to strangle, Kira I just wanted to blow up and Athrun I wanted him to get his head out of his behind. As for Shinn, boy did he need a good ol' trashing... I guess you can judge by my level of aggressiveness that our opinions differ. lol

By the way, you lost me at "the amount of children Milliardo had." What's that got to do with anything?
Just to clarify, I take "transitional work" as an experimental project to see what elements to keep and what to never mention again as long as humanity exists.
Nonetheless, even if you try to continue from where FT will end, I don't really see a prob with him having kids. He is officially dead, after all. Or weren't people aware that old fart Milliardo was Dixneuf? Huh, I guess Noin wouldn't be called a widow if they were... Or maybe she would? I'm confused. It's not like this dang novel has any reservation about incest..!
What I meant by Milliardo's children is that they are already so active and while being active are changing the world that is Gundam Wing. Even if the two of them were to die in FT the decisions they are making now are shapping the world and would even if not mentioned directly shape whatever story would follow FT.

To many things have changed from EW if this "Transtional" novel is actually to take us into a new Wing product. If he meant simply to put Wing back on people's radar, then maybe. Problem with that is Endless Waltz is easily much more popular then Wing so a follow up to Wing will almost assuredly follow EW. Regardless if they ever did animate Wing again it will be awkward so following FT or not doesn't really matter to much.
Old 2012-06-26, 08:24   Link #4495
Aldaeus

Quote:
What I meant by Milliardo's children is that they are already so active and while being active are changing the world that is Gundam Wing. Even if the two of them were to die in FT the decisions they are making now are shapping the world and would even if not mentioned directly shape whatever story would follow FT.

To many things have changed from EW if this "Transtional" novel is actually to take us into a new Wing product. If he meant simply to put Wing back on people's radar, then maybe. Problem with that is Endless Waltz is easily much more popular then Wing so a follow up to Wing will almost assuredly follow EW. Regardless if they ever did animate Wing again it will be awkward so following FT or not doesn't really matter to much.
Actually if they did this just to get Wing back on the radar, they did a pretty good job of it... we're actually paying attention and reading the short bits Deacon puts out... Then there's the other point that if they're doing this to continue the A.C. in general even if they call it the M.C., they've done similar things before with the many incarnations of Zeta's movies the latest being "A New Translation" which calls the entirety of ZZ into question with its ending.

If they do Glory in an OVA form they could put Endless Waltz's ending into question and open it again. Which I would be cool with because Glory is alright, and all of the suits are designed by Katoki. Added with the current animation standards set with the two recent series 00 and Age, even Unicorn seeing as its an OVA... it could be pretty badass.
Aldaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 14:32   Link #4496
Eeni

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, and that's the thing that bothers me most: it's the same author! How could that be?
Either Sumisawa has 2 personalities, and one's taking care of FT while the other of GoL, or he's keeping a (good) surprise for us at the end... maybe FT has a good future (again, trying to be positive)!

GoL's been good so far... He's responsible for Episode Zero alone, and I find that pretty good. Let's give the man some credit. Unless he's got Alzheimers... or is addicted to meth.
I think the reason that GoL has done well is because in essence it still is a retelling of an already existing story. Hunger Games was a great movie, and that's a water-downed retelling of Battle Royale.

We already know that Gundam Wing was a success. So making the manga and changing it up a bit isn't going to change it's standing. It might improve Wing's story or it might hurt it. I can't really tell at this point with GoL.

The point is, Sumizawa MUST follow Wing's main plot points when making GoL. In this sense it's like Gundam The Origin manga. It isn't the exact same telling of Gundam, but it's still a retelling of an already existing story.

Sumizawa has an absolute blank canvas to work on for FT. And he is doing whatever the hell he wants with it.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 14:56   Link #4497
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Guys, guys... it's really getting old. The Zeta Gundam movies do not replace the series AT ALL. It's an ALTERNATIVE TAKE on the series, hence "A NEW TRANSLATION". Gundam ZZ isn't going anywhere.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 15:37   Link #4498
Destined_Fate

Seems the case when you consider the games. Poor ZZ was cut out fully from SRW and doesn't look like it'll ever be returning. NT seems to be the Zeta they will be using from here on out. Sort of like how they phased out Mazinger Z and will be using Shin Mazinger Z in its place from now on which seems more powerful than the Mazinkaiser.
Old 2012-06-26, 17:06   Link #4499
gordol
Banned

the amount of stupidity in this canon discussion is huge, makes me wonder why bother with the gundam fandom
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 18:22   Link #4500
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Seems the case when you consider the games. Poor ZZ was cut out fully from SRW and doesn't look like it'll ever be returning. NT seems to be the Zeta they will be using from here on out. Sort of like how they phased out Mazinger Z and will be using Shin Mazinger Z in its place from now on which seems more powerful than the Mazinkaiser.
The director has mentioned ZZ repeatedly. Not only that, but they haven't even covered CCA in Z despite the suits being in there.

ZZ isn't going anywhere. Despite it not having the greatest reputation eve it is still very popular as is Judau. They won't ever be dropping ZZ, not only but while New Translation does mess with a few things it certainly doesn't ZZ from happening as a whole, just a few specific changes.

Also Shin Mazinger will only last for so long. Z in it's original form along side Great is far to popular to just drop. AThe combo of Z/Great/Ufo Robo will assure that they will be used again. Plus if we ever do see the rumored reboot of Gren or Shin Great then we will see the same thing with others taking a back seat for a while. This is nothing new, they are just finally getting enough mainline series shows (Gundam, Z, Macross, Getter) that they need to start replacing and letting others breath and rest for a time.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing