AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-07-15, 01:01   Link #1
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Triple J's Hottest 100 of All Time results

Quick runover for the non-Aussies who aren't familiar with this poll - Every year, semi-alternate radio station Triple J runs a poll called the Hottest 100. It usually takes an annual format but occasionally they do an 'of All Time' one. It is officially the most voted for music poll in the world since its creation in the late 1980s.

I'd been hoping they'd do an 'of All Time' one since the one they did in 1998. Because that was a good list. However, I think this one may be better.

100. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
99. Wolf Like Me - TV On The Radio
98. Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
97. Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
96. Daft Punk - One More Time
95. Stevie Wonder - Superstition
94. Modest Mouse - Float On
93. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
92. Bon Iver - Skinny Love
91. AC/DC - Back In Black
90. Kings of Leon - Sex On Fire
89. Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade
88. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
87. Coldplay - Yellow
86. The Beatles - Come Together
85. The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You
84. Bob Marley & The Wailers - No Woman No Cry
83. Placebo - Every You, Every Me
82. System Of A Down - Chop Suey
81. Pulp - Common People
80. The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
79. David Bowie - Life on Mars
78. Smashing Pumpkins - Today
77. Gotye - Heart's A Mess
76. The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
75. Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
74. Nirvana - Lithium
73. The Clash - London Calling
72. The Shins - New Slang
71. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
70. The Prodigy - Breathe
69. Jeff Buckley - Grace
68. Blink 182 - Dammit
67. Ben Folds Five - Brick
66. Elton John - Tiny Dancer
65. Underworld - Born Slippy
64. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
63. AC/DC - Thunderstruck
62. Nine Inch Nails - Closer
61. Blur - Song 2
60. Johnny Cash - Hurt
59. Augie March - One Crowded Hour
58. Daft Punk - Around The World
57. Tool - Forty Six & 2
56. Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should Have Come Over
55. Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
54. The Cure - Close To Me
53. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
52. You Am I - Berlin Chair
51. Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
50. Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over
49. Guns 'N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
48. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
47. John Butler Trio - Betterman
46. Faith No More - Epic
45. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
44. The Beatles - Hey Jude
43. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
42. Bloc Party - Banquet
41. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
40. Nirvana - Come As You Are
39. Pearl Jam - Better Man
38. The Killers - Mr Brightside
37. Tool - Stinkfist
36. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
35. Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
34. The Living End - Prisoner Of Society
33. Silverchair - Tomorrow
32. New Order - Blue Monday
31. Metallica - Enter Sandman
30. Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
29. Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
28. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
27. Powderfinger - My Happiness
26. Michael Jackson - Thriller
25. Pearl Jam - Alive
24. The Beatles - A Day in the Life
23. Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me
22. Massive Attack - Teardrop
21. Powderfinger - These Days
20. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
19. Metallica - One
18. Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
17. Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section
16. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
15. Radiohead - Karma Police
14. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
13. Radiohead - Creep
12. Oasis - Wonderwall
11. John Lennon - Imagine
10. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
7. Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
6. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
5. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
4. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
3. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
2. Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name
1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

You may have a few quibbles with it, I guess I have a few. But damn, that is a bloody good list. Stoked to see Radiohead's value has increased over time and the The Verve got in as high as #14. Lot more Aussie representation this time too. I guess #1 was obvious, but it's still as worthy as ever.
Old 2009-07-15, 10:15   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm just thrilled to see some Jeff Buckley on the list. One of the best lyricist and voices of all time in my opinion. Overall a very good list, although if I ever made a list such as this I'd include stuff like Coutning Crows (my favorite Band), Steve Miller Band, Devin Townsend, The Streets, Alexisonfire, and Keller Williams.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 04:03   Link #3
Randominus

Wow, Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' got #1? Didn't expect that xD
Randominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 17:08   Link #4
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randominus View Post
Wow, Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' got #1? Didn't expect that xD
It's outraging because IMO Nirvana has way better songs than "Smells like teen spirit" like "Blew" or Come as you are"
Old 2009-07-16, 17:37   Link #5
User91411
Disabled By Request

Awesome to see Joy Division get as far as #4, Daft Punk on the list, and Radiohead with high positions too.

Last edited by User91411; 2014-03-19 at 05:15.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 18:04   Link #6
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I semi-followed this as the list was coming out, tuning into the radio in the hours they were releasing it when I got the opportunity. As a massive Radiohead fan, I was getting a little worried when they got to about 30 and still hadn't played any Radiohead songs, but I still made the call to my skeptical friend that there'd be a slew of Radiohead songs in the top 30. Fortunately I was right. I thought "Paranoid Android" might go at #2, but #5 is still pretty good.

I called "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for #1. IIRC, it got #1 in the countdown ten years ago, and I don't think there's been quite an iconic alternative song since.

There's been a bit of controversy about the list in the Australian media because there are no female artists on it. There's a couple of female guest vocalists, I think, but none of the bands have "permanent" female members, and there are no female solo artists, like Bjork, who was seen as a possibility.

@Bolton: Prince isn't really popular among Triple J's demographic. In fact, there were some who were a little surprised of Michael Jackson's prominence on the list, suggesting that the fact that the voting coincided with his death helped his performance on the list. Although "Thriller" and "Billy Jean" probably do deserve to be there, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 18:46   Link #7
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
Awesome to see Joy Division get as far as #4, Daft Punk on the list, and Radiohead with high positions too. The list is pretty mixed to me though. While many songs on here are made by great artists (The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Oasis, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder etc.), here are some of my gripes with the list (all personal opinion).

Where is Prince? The man was one of the great 80's pop icons, and inspired many of your favorite artists today with his innovative style of pop, rock and R&B. How the fuck did shit like Blink-182, Coldplay, Green Day, Kings of Leon and System Of A Down even get positions in an 'all-time' list is beyond me. Not to mention, massively overrated bands like Nirvana, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin and Queen (Queen is the best out of the bands I've just said, but their best songs are so overrated to me). And why did the awful song known as Smells Like Teen Spirit made by the shitty 'right place right time' band known as Nirvana get #1? And I have to mention that more deserving songs reached low positions.

That's my gripes with the list. Quite a lot if I do say myself.

(BTW, I'm not getting at any fans of those bands, I just don't like the bands lol. And if someone made a worst bands/artist topic, I'd just go off, lulz)
How exactly are Queen and Zeppelin overated,i'd like to know,i'm not ragingly mad but confused,I do agree on some of your points though how crappy bands like blink 182 or green day are getting on these kind of list.I also how "smells like teen spirit" made no.1 there so many better songs out there
Old 2009-07-16, 20:12   Link #8
User91411
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I semi-followed this as the list was coming out, tuning into the radio in the hours they were releasing it when I got the opportunity. As a massive Radiohead fan, I was getting a little worried when they got to about 30 and still hadn't played any Radiohead songs, but I still made the call to my skeptical friend that there'd be a slew of Radiohead songs in the top 30. Fortunately I was right. I thought "Paranoid Android" might go at #2, but #5 is still pretty good.

I called "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for #1. IIRC, it got #1 in the countdown ten years ago, and I don't think there's been quite an iconic alternative song since.

There's been a bit of controversy about the list in the Australian media because there are no female artists on it. There's a couple of female guest vocalists, I think, but none of the bands have "permanent" female members, and there are no female solo artists, like Bjork, who was seen as a possibility.

@Bolton: Prince isn't really popular among Triple J's demographic. In fact, there were some who were a little surprised of Michael Jackson's prominence on the list, suggesting that the fact that the voting coincided with his death helped his performance on the list. Although "Thriller" and "Billy Jean" probably do deserve to be there, IMO.
Since you're a Radiohead fan as well, you're automatically great.

But yeah, I do believe the reason Jacko's stuff got as high as it did was because he died. The man is a fantastic musician, but Triple J is more rock/punk/alternative then pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu
How exactly are Queen and Zeppelin overated,i'd like to know,i'm not ragingly mad but confused,I do agree on some of your points though how crappy bands like blink 182 or green day are getting on these kind of list.I also how "smells like teen spirit" made no.1 there so many better songs out there
Led Zeppelin annoy me with how annoying some of their tracks (Stairway To Heaven etc.) are praised so much, when to me it's boring and pretentious. Queen have some good tracks, but it's the critically acclaimed stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody (I'd put it in the Worst Songs Ever bar the guitar solo) that gets me. I respect fans, but just don't like the bands. I would never attack anyone for liking something I don't like.

Last edited by User91411; 2014-03-19 at 05:17.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote