AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-07-23, 20:40   Link #61
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Sengoku really needs to be punched in the head. Where's Chi when you need her?! :P

Also being a manga reader in the anime only thread is suffering. lol
Old 2017-07-24, 17:04   Link #62
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Also being a manga reader in the anime only thread is suffering. lol
That's always the case. I'm happy that I do not follow the manga.

There is no need to worry about what was adapted or not, whether the adaptation carried over what my personal interpretation of the manga, and arguing over what the series director should have done to meet my expectations. Things that many manga followers are guilty of. Occasionally for me too but I'm not that rabid like quite a number. It's best to let the anime adaptation do its own thing and watch and measure it as is.

Plus no need to worry about the risk of mentioning spoilers for the anime-only watchers.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 08:53   Link #63
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

"Give it back! (My place right next to Shizuku!)" Kiyoharu <3 <3 <3

Seriously speaking, Kiyoharu is probably talking about his moves that Tatara 'stole' from him, but I can dream right?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 21:49   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
"Give it back! (My place right next to Shizuku!)" Kiyoharu <3 <3 <3

Seriously speaking, Kiyoharu is probably talking about his moves that Tatara 'stole' from him, but I can dream right?

Couldn't he just be asking for his competition tux back? The guy can't dance if Tatara is still wearing it.
Old 2017-07-29, 20:41   Link #65
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I really wish someone would just smack Sengoku with a chair or something. He's just a pain in the rear. Will do anything on a whim. He selfishly forces Tatara to participate when he sure as heck wasn't volunteering. Then he gets angry at him for....doing the thing he asked him to do. And then he's fine with it because Hyodo is fired up and gives his best performance. I get he's a pro in something that is all about "look at me" but man this guy is annoying.

What an event for Shizuku. This is a sport involving pairs, but no one seems to notice her being there . True Hyodo unleashed one heck of a performance, but he wasn't alone out there. But on the positive side she isn't seemingly too bothered by it . And then her partner passes out after the tango....not surprising considering he was hurt before heading out there.

While Hyodo is suspended for 6 months....that's probably not a bad thing. With his health being questionable right now he could use the time to rest and get back to 100%.
Old 2017-07-29, 23:01   Link #66
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Double-episode this week - wha?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-29, 23:01   Link #67
Cloudedmind

Sengoku was expecting Tatara to go out there, stumble around a bit and get Hyodo and Shizuku disqualified, and hopefully penalized from the rest of the event. End of story. What he wasn't expecting was for Tatara, a beginner to go out and "show Hyodo up" by stealing his moves, which then lit a fire under Hyodo's ass and got him to go out there and dance the best tango he's ever done, which possible/probably f'ed his leg up even more. Not, that I disagree with you on Sengoku needing a smacking. I said as much myself in a previous comment. xD He does tend to take things way to far. (P.S I actually like Sengoku as a character, but I'm all for him getting his much needed and deserved beatings. xD)

Now, if anyone else says anything bad about my precious teddy bear Iwakama, them gon' be fighten' words. (jk)

Anyway, my favorite character has appeared, so the next episode can't get here fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Double-episode this week - wha?
Episodes 4 and 5 came out?

Last edited by Cloudedmind; 2017-07-29 at 23:13.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 00:31   Link #68
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Loving this show, though the stylized elongated necks bug me <_< from the little bit of the manga my friend showed me, they weren't really like that.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 11:45   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I really wish someone would just smack Sengoku with a chair or something. He's just a pain in the rear. Will do anything on a whim. He selfishly forces Tatara to participate when he sure as heck wasn't volunteering. Then he gets angry at him for....doing the thing he asked him to do. And then he's fine with it because Hyodo is fired up and gives his best performance. I get he's a pro in something that is all about "look at me" but man this guy is annoying.
Yeah, Sengoku is a quite an ass. He wasn't apologetic in the least after what he did. That said, I love him, because you never know what he's going to pull.

Everything turned out for the best in the end. Hyodo rediscovered his passion for dancing thanks to Tatara and his six months suspension will give him plenty of time to heal. As for Tatara, an even stronger fire was lit in him. Shizuku did get the short end of the stick regarding the suspension though, but I guess it will give her time to train with Tatara. I was shocked Hyodo asked him to take care of her, I expected him to say the opposite actually ("stay away from my partner!" or something like that)
Old 2017-07-30, 12:47   Link #70
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, Sengoku is a quite an ass. He wasn't apologetic in the least after what he did. That said, I love him, because you never know what he's going to pull.

Everything turned out for the best in the end. Hyodo rediscovered his passion for dancing thanks to Tatara and his six months suspension will give him plenty of time to heal. As for Tatara, an even stronger fire was lit in him. Shizuku did get the short end of the stick regarding the suspension though, but I guess it will give her time to train with Tatara. I was shocked Hyodo asked him to take care of her, I expected him to say the opposite actually ("stay away from my partner!" or something like that)
He prob sprained his ACL which means 6-9 months recovery. Tatara and Sengoku did him a favor by getting him suspended, esp if he wasn't willing to take the time off to treat his knee.

http://www.dancespirit.com/understan...326034208.html

By that time, he should have plenty of people to compete against.

Last edited by orion; 2017-07-30 at 18:42.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 15:27   Link #71
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, nothing was nearly as bad as I feared. I totally expected a tragic career end.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 16:05   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

After watching episode 5, I take back what I said. If there is an ass in this show, it's Gaju. Sengoku uses questionable methods and loves trolling, but his heart is in the right place.

It only took me one episode to make me switch ships. I thought Shizuku and Hyodo went well together, but I still supported Tatara over Hyodo, but now I'm fully behind the Tatara and Mako pair. They suit each other well.
Old 2017-07-30, 16:19   Link #73
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not sure how much "in the right place" Sengoku's heart is, but yeah, Gaju's a complete asshole.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 17:39   Link #74
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They both are.
Old 2017-07-30, 18:24   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm finding it hard to see these characters as middle-school aged. They look and act much too maturely for 12-14 year olds. Tatara, Shizuku and Hyodo are all third-year middle school students so 14 or 15. I find it hard to imagine kids that age have the poise, bravado and experience to dance in the ways they are depicted.

I looked at a few of the competitions at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVg...=RDEgVgK3WOSwk

For some reason the camera never zoomed in on the competitors' faces, but from what I could tell most were a lot older than Shizuku and Hyodo.

I'm used to watching shows like Shion no Ou or Hikaru no Go where talented youngsters start professional careers at 12 or 13, but ballroom dancing feels different than board games in terms of its emotional (and athletic obviously) demands.. My daughter and her friends were pretty mature for their age at 14, but none had the poise of Shizuka. Most fourteen-year-old boys are even further behind. I find it hard to believe they could dance the tango as knowingly as a couple in their twenties or thirties.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-07-30 at 18:36.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 18:37   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, just to play Devil's advocate...

Hyodo, Shizuku and Tatara are all 9th-graders, which is most likely 15 and a 1st year high-schooler in most Western countries. Shizuku and Hyodo have been dancing as a pair since they were like, 7 years old - I think it's believable that they would be poised and composed in that environment.

As for Tatara, I wouldn't say he's poised or shows much bravado when he's dancing - quite the opposite in fact. He just happens to have good instincts for it.
Old 2017-07-30, 18:41   Link #77
orion

Quote:
Well, just to play Devil's advocate...

Hyodo, Shizuku and Tatara are all 9th-graders, which is most likely 15 and a 1st year high-schooler in most Western countries. Shizuku and Hyodo have been dancing as a pair since they were like, 7 years old - I think it's believable that they would be poised and composed in that environment.

As for Tatara, I wouldn't say he's poised or shows much bravado when he's dancing - quite the opposite in fact. He just happens to have good instincts for it.
Totally agree. Their parents have been grooming those kids for a while. Hyodo's parents even have a dance studio.
Old 2017-07-30, 18:57   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Totally agree. Their parents have been grooming those kids for a while. Hyodo's parents even have a dance studio.
I thought about that while writing my comment. I still think maturity and life experience matter along with skill and athleticism.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 19:26   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not going to make the argument that the stuff in this series is 100% believable, but in a shounen manga (especially WSJ) context, it's close enough for government work as far as I'm concerned. I could see dance "pros" like Hyodo and Shizuku being that composed under pressure.

The appeal of BeY for me is very much like Haikyuu!! - that youthful intensity and goofiness. As for realism it just has to keep it relatively restrained.
Old 2017-07-30, 22:41   Link #80
Cloudedmind

Quote:
They both are.
I'd say Sengoku's an asshole, while Gaju's a jerk, simple because he's a short sighted teenager. Not that that makes his behavior OK. ( I still adore them both.)

Tags
ballroom dancing