AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-11-28, 23:38   Link #2761
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I think we're misunderstanding something here- I think they meant that it's an original in the sense that it's not an adaptation of an existing story.
I actually did get that and was making more of a joke. But while I'm not looking for Spirited Away originality with this anime, it reminds me of so many other anime and movies (mostly the ones I don't like) that if I didn't know it was anime-original and just watched the show, I wouldn't be able to tell.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 23:41   Link #2762
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Check out this interview with the producers ANN conducted. It's rather amusing!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...n-guilty-crown
Quote:
There is, of course, a very big risk to doing a two-season show, and to doing something original.
Quote:
We're stressing action and plot: a cutting-edge TV show.
*LAUGHS HYSTERICALLY*

Am I reading this right? They actually thought they are making something original?! And cutting-edge plot? Really? Pretending that this show has any sophistication, right now after all the current episodes basically pegged Guilty Crown as a campy, fanservice-laden "shut-your-brains-before-watching" popcorn show with "seen-it-before" plots and gimmicks in the veins of Michael Bay?

Man, that's a good laugh

---

But seriously, they need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that they're making a masterpiece - this show is already overhyped as it is. Guilty Crown is a guilty pleasure with nice visuals and enjoyable soundtrack, best watched while not expecting anything intelligent, and any attempt to claim otherwise would only piss-off viewers drawn by (fake) promises of originality or sophistry
Old 2011-11-28, 23:57   Link #2763
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Finally listened to the full version of Euterpe.

The song is hauntingly beautiful.
My favorite track of that single is the mix version of Departures. +7 minutes long and the ominous feel make it superior to the original (which was already pretty good).
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:23   Link #2764
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
...I can understand aiming for a younger audience and such, but in all honesty, I think aiming for a younger audience is harder than aiming for an older one. It places all kinds of restrictions on you, and if you're not careful, the product could end up talking down to its audience and insulting its intelligence. Why people ever use the excuse "It's for kids, so it's okay" is beyond me, especially since a lot of the greatest stories in the world are written for a young audience.

Edit: And seriously, an original premise? Anime for a new generation? Are you telling me that this is an anime that thinks it's being original, but it's not? Come on!
Lol. That interview undermines part of my own interpretation, since I think the plot is fairly flimsy and enjoy the show for other reasons. Whereas they said they were "stressing action and plot".

However, from what they said, they thought that the "new generation" has shallow friendships, and they portray Shu that way. That's part of why it's "for a new generation." We first saw Shu alone with his phone/pad watching Inori. I think they are seeing him as having his life in cyberspace instead of the physical world.

You're right about writing for kids being at least as hard as writing for adults. But I don't see the show talking down to anybody. They compared it to GiTS only to say it wasn't like it. GiTS is what some people here were hoping for, but that's not what they were trying to do.

I must say, however, these producers sound like my image of a traditional Hollywood producer, with not very exact conceptions of what they're doing, just slogans. That they hired the writers of Code Geass and were surprised to hear that anyone saw any similarity, despite the great similarities in the whole situation, makes me think they're pretty blind. But to me, this show has strong plot similarities to CG, but doesn't feel like it all.

I think director Araki, designer redjuice, and the music are all excellent. And so is the acting. But I'm not so positive about the writing.

From my point of view, Noitamina continues to produce good shows, but has very little notion of how to make a show that's popular. It is interesting to hear the producers talk about doing Shiki, another show which was not very successful, but which I liked, and which in fact was fairly original among anime.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 01:11   Link #2765
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
That they hired the writers of Code Geass and were surprised to hear that anyone saw any similarity, despite the great similarities in the whole situation, makes me think they're pretty blind. But to me, this show has strong plot similarities to CG, but doesn't feel like it all.
Well, that line of questioning (very direct in this case. The interviewer almost implied that they're copying Code Geass and requested an explanation on how they're differentiating Guilty Crown from the former) is often offensive to the Japanese. More often than not, it'll be met with denial, if not outright indignation.

I'm not surprised that the three got a bit defensive.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 01:47   Link #2766
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

However, from what they said, they thought that the "new generation" has shallow friendships, and they portray Shu that way. That's part of why it's "for a new generation." We first saw Shu alone with his phone/pad watching Inori. I think they are seeing him as having his life in cyberspace instead of the physical world.

You're right about writing for kids being at least as hard as writing for adults. But I don't see the show talking down to anybody. They compared it to GiTS only to say it wasn't like it. GiTS is what some people here were hoping for, but that's not what they were trying to do.
I actually like the idea of a new generation having shallow friends. However, Shu is too boring a character for the idea to work (apologies to the people who like him), and it doesn't help that Future Diary and Boku Wa Tomodachi are also tackling the idea as well; and I personally think they're doing a better job of it. Or at least doing it more entertainingly.

Also, I never compared the show to GITS. I just thought that the writing might have been better if they tried to market the show towards a more adult audience. Right now, the show seems to be pandering in the same way Fractale did, use a bunch of cool scenes from other anime while forgetting to put in the build up or substance that made those scenes cool in the first place (only more entertainingly).

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:39   Link #2767
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
We first saw Shu alone with his phone/pad watching Inori. I think they are seeing him as having his life in cyberspace instead of the physical world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I actually like the idea of a new generation having shallow friends. However, Shu is too boring a character for the idea to work (apologies to the people who like him), and it doesn't help that Future Diary and Boku Wa Tomodachi are also tackling the idea as well; and I personally think they're doing a better job of it. Or at least doing it more entertainingly.
I think being boring works well with him "having his life in cyberspace instead of the physical world."

Now all I have to think about is why it's so familiar...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:04   Link #2768
Brimstone
Banned

Ehh? Shu has a life in cyberspace ? Since when?

Surfing youtube doesn't count as 'a life'.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:19   Link #2769
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Ehh? Shu has a life in cyberspace ? Since when?

Surfing youtube doesn't count as 'a life'.
He is a fan and it wasn't stated he just surfs the net to watch Inori's videos all day long: He might be posting on blogs and forums too.

Now I really know it feels so familiar... surfing the net, posting at forums and blogs... being a fan.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 03:35   Link #2770
Brimstone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
He is a fan and it wasn't stated he just surfs the net to watch Inori's videos all day long: He might be posting on blogs and forums too.

Now I really know it feels so familiar... surfing the net, posting at forums and blogs... being a fan.
It's not impossible, but I don't think it's meant to be anything prominent since we never got any real 'proof' after seven episodes.

Heck, not even a small monologue.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 04:15   Link #2771
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Well, that line of questioning (very direct in this case. The interviewer almost implied that they're copying Code Geass and requested an explanation on how they're differentiating Guilty Crown from the former) is often offensive to the Japanese. More often than not, it'll be met with denial, if not outright indignation.

I'm not surprised that the three got a bit defensive.
For these reasons, that was not the smartest note to end the interview on. When it comes down to it, both the interviewer and the interviewed come off amateurish here
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 05:30   Link #2772
neshru

So, what was the author thinking when he designed the pink haired girl's outfit? Why would she wear something that makes it perfectly easy to spot you up to 1km distance (and nevermind the fact that it looks completely ridiculous and out of place)?
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 05:39   Link #2773
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
So, what was the author thinking when he designed the pink haired girl's outfit? Why would she wear something that makes it perfectly easy to spot you up to 1km distance (and nevermind the fact that it looks completely ridiculous and out of place)?
You're questioning the costumes of anime characters?
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 05:47   Link #2774
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You're questioning the costumes of anime characters?
I don't know what anime do you watch, but not every anime character wears or has to wear a ridiculous looking outfit (or ridiculously out of place, more to the point).
Ridiculous outfits are perfectly fine in the right context, but when it comes to a series that takes itself seriously like this one, they just make it look like a big joke.

Last edited by neshru; 2011-11-29 at 06:03.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 06:29   Link #2775
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I don't know what anime do you watch, but not every anime character wears or has to wear a ridiculous looking outfit (or ridiculously out of place, more to the point).
Ridiculous outfits are perfectly fine in the right context, but when it comes to a series that takes itself seriously like this one, they just make it look like a big joke.
in GITS SAC or TTGL the context was right?
i think there are more important problems in this series than this
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 06:52   Link #2776
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

TBH, advertistically (is that even a word??) this anime is doing it's job. This show is just ripping your brains apart you can't help but watch it and complain how stupid this show is in here.

As a casual viewer, this has got to be the best of the moment for me. Not fate, not gundam nor kodomo. But this. And I think the producers are doing a great job of catering casual viewers to be honest.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 06:53   Link #2777
Kunagisa

Don't have a bigger one, Ravenblitz probably will come around with something if he has a bigger version.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 07:25   Link #2778
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
TBH, advertistically (is that even a word??)
It's not. What did you have in mind? "as advertisement"?
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 07:39   Link #2779
EroKing

Couple of freebies.

Old 2011-11-29, 08:59   Link #2780
Iron21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Couple of freebies.

I'll take this one.

thanks.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote