AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-04-05, 03:20   Link #3161
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by from mail
Hi, we appreciate your feedback.

That is just a blurb that was not even translated by the translator who does the novels themselves. Please don't worry, the finished product will be just as good as the previous translations.

It's pretty typical for advertising copy to differ from the finished product.
Yeah they replied.
Old 2010-04-05, 08:41   Link #3162
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Well, that's never going to happen. If there's ever a situation that she and she alone can solve, then the future is screwed, and she'll never have existed. She can't "do things" (ie: change history) on her own. Her whole role in her past is to get the people there to do the things she needs done. I thought that was explained fairly well in Volume 7 and Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru...
Does she even fulfill her role in that sense? So far I haven't seen any indication of her steering people to her will, to ensure the future is kept intact. All I see is a girl that has absolutely no feasible powers whatsoever, observing how things go and probably can't change anything if they didn't go right (unlike Yuki). Unless, however, Mikuru (Big) and Mikuru are considered to be the same person; that explanation will increase Mikuru's role in the story and her usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Yeah they replied.
So... yeah. Let's hope they keep to their word, then.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 09:11   Link #3163
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Well, that's never going to happen. If there's ever a situation that she and she alone can solve, then the future is screwed, and she'll never have existed. She can't "do things" (ie: change history) on her own. Her whole role in her past is to get the people there to do the things she needs done. I thought that was explained fairly well in Volume 7 and Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru...
I disagree.

She can do things that history says that she does in the past, and in her "present" she can pretty much do whatever she wants.

So there are two possible oppertunities for her to do something awesome.

It's a longshot, but it ain't unlikely. Something's gotta happen that turns her into the adult we've seen.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 18:21   Link #3164
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
I disagree.

She can do things that history says that she does in the past, and in her "present" she can pretty much do whatever she wants.

So there are two possible oppertunities for her to do something awesome.

It's a longshot, but it ain't unlikely. Something's gotta happen that turns her into the adult we've seen.
Well, those, again, are never going to happen, as history isn't ever going to say that she does anything in the past (all the "predermined facts" surrounding her have been focused on Kyon and other current time residents), and we're never going to see anything that happens in her "present" ("our" future). Her evolution into Asahina(big) is going to happen because of things done to her, not by her. Again, Volume 7 makes it pretty clear. Mikuru's job is to do nothing more than "input the value" to get the right future, and every book in the series that deals with it shows that she does so by having others do things (so far only Kyon for certain, but arguably Haruhi as well). Why do you think she gets so upset when Haruhi forces her to do anything?

And "longshot" means "unlikely". You probably mean "ain't impossible", which admittedly nothing is in this series.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:06   Link #3165
s07195
However,

Any new info on the th novel?
It IS in the April issue...right?
Old 2010-04-08, 00:20   Link #3166
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
I think it's actually like the May or June issue, it just comes out some time this month. It's probably mentioned a few pages back.

EDIT: It's April 30th. And I think it's a quarterly, so it's the second quarter (Apr-Jun) issue then maybe?

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-04-08 at 00:23. Reason: added date
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 05:27   Link #3167
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Quote:
I think it's actually like the May or June issue, it just comes out some time this month. It's probably mentioned a few pages back.

EDIT: It's April 30th. And I think it's a quarterly, so it's the second quarter (Apr-Jun) issue then maybe?
The first part of the novel will be included in the June 2010 issue of "The Sneaker" which is a Kadokawa publication put out every two months on the last Friday of that month (2,4,6,8,10,12). So this month's issue is the June 2010 issue while February's was the April issue.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 11:29   Link #3168
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The first part of the novel will be included in the June 2010 issue of "The Sneaker" which is a Kadokawa publication put out every two months on the last Friday of that month (2,4,6,8,10,12). So this month's issue is the June 2010 issue while February's was the April issue.
Even though I have someone in Tokyo right now who could easily buy a copy... I still can't read Japanese

Yet I'm still asking him to help me buy the reprinted Melancholy while it lasts. Yeah. In Japanese.

But hopefully I won't have much trouble, with my Chinese version (Kadokawa Taiwan) to help. Great to be enjoying it while learning some new stuff.
Old 2010-04-10, 20:14   Link #3169
Blayne Barudorii

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
So, when the 10th book finally comes out, is there going to be any group doing a translation since baka-tsuki froze Haruhi?
I would like to know this as well.
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 22:25   Link #3170
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
I would like to know this as well.
Maybe we can all exercise patience and wait until ~2014 when an official english translation will be released (assuming Yen Press continues their avg 6 month/novel). =3
Old 2010-04-11, 02:03   Link #3171
Blayne Barudorii

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Maybe we can all exercise patience and wait until ~2014 when an official english translation will be released (assuming Yen Press continues their avg 6 month/novel). =3
Erk. Far too long, I could be dead by then! Car accident! Solar flare! Plane crash! snoob snoob! I must read it asap so I would have no regrets!
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 10:57   Link #3172
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Consider the amount of people who were willing to have their first viewing of the Disappearance movie come from a raw, flashing camrip. Do you really think it would be plausible for the people here to exercise that much patience?
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 12:16   Link #3173
kazewa

It's an old topic (referring to page 23 of this thread). But, purely got the urge to post after watching the movie (The Disappearance), goggling about th 10th vol., found this topic, red the 23rd page of this thread.

Spoiler:
kazewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 20:36   Link #3174
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Well, first, it would be really nice to quoting the post(s) you are referring too. You see, to people understand easily what you are talking about. Not to mention the nice link to said post that forum give you every time you quote someone. Also, do you you can just edit your posts without having to delete then right?

Said that, I mostly agree with you. From all I could understand of Melancholy, the '3 Years Ago' day was the day when she got see that baseball game and realized the he own insignificance. That day was the day Itsuki got his powers, Nagato's creators observed the huge creation of data and the last day Mikuru's people can travel back.

As you said, the day can not be the Tanabata. More specifically, the specific point can not be when she draw the message on school cause the Kyons and the Asahinas traveled before that. Hence, it must be the baseball day cause it is the only other important day we know. Also, Haruhi admitted she lived as a normal girl just before that, and just started acting weirdly after this episode.

In any case, considering The Day as Tanabata aways sound silly to me.not only it is probably travel to before that but even Nagato seems to be living in Earth at this time. I really doubt she had just born at that instant.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 00:09   Link #3175
ijuinkun

Given that in the flashback to the baseball game, Haruhi was shown wearing what appears to be spring wear, I would speculate that it was intended to be the spring (April-June) prior to the Tanabata where she met "John Smith". The baseball game made her realize "Hey, my life isn't fantastic enough--I want to meet and hang out with extraordinary people", which led to the creation of the various factions. However meeting John Smith and hearing that he believes in such beings made her believe "Hey, maybe I really CAN meet and hang out with such people".
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 05:07   Link #3176
kazewa

Spoiler:

Sorry, I was kinda in a rush so I didn't even remember to make the quote.
Well, the reason I deleted 2 of my 1st posts, was because I thought I posted these in the wrong intended thread. You see, I red the topic on page 23, and thought that that page (23) was the last page of the thread. So after posted it and found out that some last posts were different, I thought "Hm? I posted in the wrong thread! Gotta delete it and post it in the right thread immediately…". I did that twice before realizing that page 23 wasn't the last page

Based from my previous post above, or
Spoiler:

Oh yeah. When Haruhi's power awakened, a big time quake occurred. I'm guessing that after that time quake ended, is the furthest point that the time travelers could travel back to.

Spoiler:

Good thinking. Anyone know when usually is the very first baseball game / match of each year – in Japan - takes place? Maybe if it’s around April or later, then Haruhi watched that baseball game when she was in 7th grade, not 6th grade. If it’s earlier than April, than the two possibilites (6th or 7th grade) are still alive as possibilites.

Spoiler:

From Kyon's perspective, he first met Sasaki in 9th grade, when he graduated and entered North High, he met Haruhi. The 7th grade Haruhi he met 3 years ago, from Kyon's perspective, he met 3-years-younger-Haruhi after she met Sasaki and Haruhi from his time frame.

Spoiler:

-Based on my previous post above, if Kyon awakened Haruhi’s power when he and Mikuru went back to July 7th 3 years ago, than Kyon and Mikuru shouldn’t be able to travel to the point before they met Haruhi and the moment Kyon awakened Haruhi’s power. But they were ABLE to, which based on my thinking, made me thought it is not possible. Haruhi already had the power, at least, in the exact second Kyon and Mikuru arrived on July 7th 3 years ago.
-I'm thinking that when Kyon and Mikuru went back to meet 3-years-younger-Haruhi, that Haruhi already had the god-power. That can means, Kyon WAS NOT the one who awakened Haruhi’s power. Haruhi already had it when she met Kyon, aka 'John Smith’, for the very first time in Haruhi’s life, regardless of ‘from which time frame is that Haruhi’.
-It’s kinda hard to accept if he transferred the god-power to Sasaki when Kyon has yet to meet Haruhi, and he wasn’t even the one who awakened the god-power within 3-years-younger-Haruhi. Now, I’m thinking that the god-power, from the moment it awakened and possessed by Haruhi, always possessed by Haruhi, up to the last volume (9). So what the Sasaki crew trying to do (well, maybe excluding Sasaki) is (along the line of) stealing Haruhi’s power, for god-knows-what-reason (only if that’s right).

I have a speculation about why Kyon chosen by Haruhi…
Spoiler:

Last edited by kazewa; 2010-04-12 at 05:23.
Old 2010-04-12, 05:18   Link #3177
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

That last theory makes my head hurt.

I'm gonna stick with the romance. ._.'
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 05:33   Link #3178
kazewa

Well, I also wanted to post this speculation before, but funnily, I forget what I'm gonna post as it's weakness...
Spoiler:

Well, I hope my far-from-perfect English didn't give the reader(s) a hard time understanding my words.

Btw, I also thinking that Haruhi has romantic feeling for Kyon, since I-don't-know-when xD
Old 2010-04-12, 05:46   Link #3179
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazewa View Post
Well, I also wanted to post this speculation before, but funnily, I forget what I'm gonna post as it's weakness...
Spoiler:

Well, I hope my far-from-perfect English didn't give the reader(s) a hard time understanding my words.

Btw, I also thinking that Haruhi has romantic feeling for Kyon, since I-don't-know-when xD
Now that's just twisted enough to work. But I like to think Kyon has a little more free will than that...

BTW, guys, this is pretty much a spoiler happy thread, since all the current volumes of the novel have been out for quite some time. There's no need to use spoiler tags (unless you're posting a wall-o-text, in which case it's always courteous to use spoiler tags even if it doesn't contain any).
Old 2010-04-12, 18:55   Link #3180
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Well, the theory makes sense assuming the normal all events have a cause. Mikuru dragged Kyon back in time because she was ordered to. Another question arises, why was she ordered to return back in time? Was it because it was destined? Or was it to create a change in the order of events, as you mentioned? Let's assume it was to create a change. Then would Mikuru have existed in the first present as she does in the second present?

It's also possible that the alternate universe that Nagato created was actually the first instance of the universe that the SOS Brigade exists in. Haruhi chose Kouyouen High because it was the very best, or something like that. In some way shape or form, time travel came about. As they tested, they disturbed the flow of time and altered the events, all history, etc. in which it said the Haruhi instead attended North High to meet with Kyon (under alias of John Smith). As a result, Mikuru was dispatched to the current universe. It's an interesting theory, I just came up with it, lol....

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga