5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-05-31, 04:31   Link #61
Thess

We don't know if that's a vajra or just a random space bug.

Anyway, I think Windermerians might be immune because they have fold receptors (their runes)?

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 04:42   Link #62
charles883

Well Frejya song show there affect on Bogue. Most likely use rune to mind control them
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 04:44   Link #63
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
hah, the beach sign in the episode said Ranka Beach
Old 2016-05-31, 04:48   Link #64
magnuskn

Alright, then. I'll back off the Windermerans on that account. Fair's fair, after all.
Old 2016-05-31, 06:08   Link #65
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

My God. I did NOT expect to watch this episode and come out shipping Messer/Kaname.

Bogue also has such a fascination with blood lol.
Old 2016-05-31, 06:54   Link #66
deadite

Var Syndrome is an existing pbenomenon that Windermere just recently learned to use. The first time they utalized it was Al Shahal where thr Knights were sent to gather data. Var has been happening all throughout the galaxt prior to Windermere learning to direct it.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 09:00   Link #67
ReddyRedWolf

Frak just to show how serious Var is it wiped out an entire colony on Alfheim. This was two years ago and Messer was there.

As stated in the 2nd Forbes interview of Shoji Kawamori Fold Bacteria has spread after the Vajra left. How this happened isn't explained in the anime but the prequel manga may have answers. At least it isn't killing its hosts like Ranshe and Sheryl was. The Vajra may have done something so won't kill humans and related races. Perhaps it is meant to facilitate communication once the Sub-Protoculture races leave the Milky Way and meet the Vajra again. Unfortunately it has been taken advantaged of by Windermere to facilitate terrorist acts.
We probably have to take account Galactic Whales a fold capable species have bacteria on them. A vaccine was developed to allow off worlders to live on Zola. Otherwise it is pretty deadly unless treated early with disinfectant or you take a bath at the Whale graveyard hotspring at Catsnake forest.

Protoculture ruins typically has energy shafts reaching to the planet's core. This in line with Macross 7 where in Rax the Protoculture ruins raised itself from deep underground from a volcanic island.

For Walkure it is a hit and miss activating them. Depending on circumstances. If Basara was there he can probably activate them himself with his status as Anima Spiritia.

Mirage is concerned being Var'ed as she doesn't have Fold Receptors. Uh Mirage you have family that have Fold Receptors. Your grandparents , Max and Milia, and aunt Mylene didn't manifest them at first but after continuous exposure to Basara singing they eventually had it as well. Your aunt Emilia? Also a powerful Fold Receptor that don't need tech and is more in line with a the legend of a Wind Singer.
The common denominator is that they learn to sing themselves instead of just listening to Basara.

And this is where Roid is mistaken in saying the ruins being just rocks without Wind Singers? Humans has Wind Singers it is just they don't call them that. Among the Mayans they are known as Shrine Maidens. Among modern Humans they are legendary Songstresses mostly, Basara a legendary Rock Star called by the Protodevlin and Protoculture as Anima Spiritia. Though I suppose Roid already knows that and lied to Keith so that he wont do anything rash. Rocks floating responding to Sara's song in Macross Zero.

On the triangle front Freyja became jealous due to a rumor by bridge bunnies and when it was cleared up was relieved. This lead her to meeting Messer at the beach. This'll be an odd friendship I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Var Syndrome is an existing pbenomenon that Windermere just recently learned to use. The first time they utalized it was Al Shahal where thr Knights were sent to gather data. Var has been happening all throughout the galaxt prior to Windermere learning to direct it.
Al Shahal was the first case of using biological foldwaves to cause Var attacks. Prior cases was because of their apples and ruin waters which encouraged fold bacteria growth.

How Fold Bacteria spread will probably explained in Macross Extra manga.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 10:11   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Once again I am loss on Kanames lack of popularity. She is sexy, nice person, intelligent and her voice is at least equal to Mikumo. Her only problems are lack of confidence and rest of galaxy having poor taste. As far as I am concerned among Valkures she is number one and I am sure Messer would agree with me.
This was definitely a great episode for Kaname. Prior to this episode, she needed more consistent focus to fully bring out her character strengths. Thankfully, this episode provided her with that consistent focus. Hopefully her popularity will bump up some with this episode, as it certainly deserves to.

Your compliments of her are deserved. I have two additions to make to them. Firstly, her call to Messer was wonderfully voice-acted. Her fondness for Messer, and her sincere concern for him, came through beautifully. There was also just the right amount of breathlessness to her call to him, showing some nice romantic tension. Secondly, Kaname comes off as very mature and responsible. As a guy over a decade into my adult years, that's something I can definitely appreciate.

On the romance side, Messer/Kaname is now deeply compelling. It all works, and it all works so very naturally and smoothly. Their reasons for liking/loving each other come through very well, with minimal dialogue. In fact, the succinct and short dialogue adds to the charm, as it makes this romance feel more believable and intense given the circumstances surrounding it. It came dangerously close to completely overshadowing the likely start of romance competition between Freyja and Mirage over Hayate (Freyja was clearly disturbed at the idea of Hayate and Mirage being lovers).

All of the above being said, this entire protagonist cast is excellent. One of the most likeable and compelling protagonist casts I've ever seen in anime. They're all such good, reliable people while also not seeming overly cynical or jaded. Messer and Mikumo add just the right amount of edge to this group, but even they seem like they have strong sympathetic stories to tell behind the tall and mysterious exteriors. Well, in Messer's case, we now know that he has such a story to tell.

The tall, dark, and handsome soldier feeling indebted to the sweet soulful songstress that saved his life, and hence constantly repaying her as much as he can, earning her love and affection. He's also a very silent and serious type of guy, so it's a real question if she'll be able to bring him out of his shell. It's a great story! Makes for a very strong subplot for this show.

As for the main plot? Episode 9 also did that pretty well.
Old 2016-05-31, 11:39   Link #69
charles883

I think Messer try to avoid Kaname from her advancement despite he (I think) in love with her is to spared her from sadness and despair as he still has Vars and knew one day he most likely die either from his enemies or his allies when he went full Vars and Delta have to kill him
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 11:44   Link #70
Darthtabby

We've got an awful lot of spoilers for the Delta manga and Frontier in this thread...

Is the translation about that one planet being "wiped out" by the VAR accurate, or is GG taking liberties? Because AFAIK this is the first time we've ever heard about VAR syndrome causing devastation on that large a scale.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 12:18   Link #71
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post
I think Messer try to avoid Kaname from her advancement despite he (I think) in love with her is to spared her from sadness and despair as he still has Vars and knew one day he most likely die either from his enemies or his allies when he went full Vars and Delta have to kill him
I think it's not n the way far simpler than that. Messer owe Kaname huge dept and that's why he rejects her kindness, because he would end owe her even more. I guess it's akin to "Lady and Knight" situation, where "knight" (Messer) is too loyal and honorable to have any "inpure" feelings toward his mistress.
Old 2016-05-31, 13:26   Link #72
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
We don't know if that's a vajra or just a random space bug.
Spoiler:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 13:53   Link #73
Boukenxha

Funny how this works, because last week I said the series felt like it was lacking something and this week the episode seems out to prove me wrong lol. The focus on Messer was well done as I was able to feel for his background story, his struggle with himself and the apparent curtailing of his feelings for Kaname. During the battle, it displayed a new urgency that something was seriously on the line. Walkure's song felt more powerful than before, though it helped that Bokura no Senjou was already my favorite. I was glad Kaname held her own there, singing about miracles as she reached for Messer to pull him back was cliche, but it was great. I happen to think the Messer and Freyja short dialogue at the end has a meaningful message towards encouraging Messer to grab the present and stop worrying about his past/future. C'mon, the lady invites you the next time, don't reject her again.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 14:20   Link #74
Kazu-kun

This is interesting. The first time they sang to these ruins, they didn't activate. But when they sang during combat, the ruins activated. I wonder if Kaname's feelings did the trick.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-05-31, 15:31   Link #75
magnuskn

True, this episode made me feel much better about the show overall.
Old 2016-05-31, 15:36   Link #76
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
We've got an awful lot of spoilers for the Delta manga and Frontier in this thread...

Is the translation about that one planet being "wiped out" by the VAR accurate, or is GG taking liberties? Because AFAIK this is the first time we've ever heard about VAR syndrome causing devastation on that large a scale.
Senmetsu pretty much means annihilate or genocide.

Interesting theory cropped up by an anon. The reason why the hole at Scarfell is acting the way it is and the reason for the barrier around Windermere is that the MDE messed up the Protoculture ruin energy shaft leading to the planet's core. This is why Keith keeps saying they do not have time.

This is the reason Roid is adamant in securing the Protoculture ruins. He wants to save the planet than Keith's defeatist we cannot save the planet we must take other worlds for our people.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 15:37   Link #77
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Al Shahal was the first case of using biological foldwaves to cause Var attacks. Prior cases was because of their apples and ruin waters which encouraged fold bacteria growth.

How Fold Bacteria spread will probably explained in Macross Extra manga.
Eh, not really. Those bugs infected we saw in the Macross Extra manga aren't because of apples and ruins water. Someone else is experimenting with it. It's canonically a galaxy wide phenomenon.

Think about any weapon. Windermere just got their hands on it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Mirage is concerned being Var'ed as she doesn't have Fold Receptors. Uh Mirage you have family that have Fold Receptors. Your grandparents , Max and Milia, and aunt Mylene didn't manifest them at first but after continuous exposure to Basara singing they eventually had it as well. Your aunt Emilia? Also a powerful Fold Receptor that don't need tech and is more in line with a the legend of a Wind Singer.
Well, she's a disappointment for the family name. Maybe she didn't inherit any and takes after her father. If she or Chuck had receptors, Arad would have said so, but he shook his head and Mikumo reassured them her song would protect them. It's not like she needed to "manifest them". They can detect them now: you have them or you don't have them. They knew Hayate had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This is interesting. The first time they sang to these ruins, they didn't activate. But when they sang during combat, the ruins activated. I wonder if Kaname's feelings did the trick.
Kaname's feelings (and Messer's?). Just like the ruins awoke when Freyja and Hayate were in sync, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Spoiler:
Ah yes. Thanks. I hope we see Char cameo in Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
I happen to think the Messer and Freyja short dialogue at the end has a meaningful message towards encouraging Messer to grab the present and stop worrying about his past/future. C'mon, the lady invites you the next time, don't reject her again.
Absolutely. Probably one of my favorite scenes in the episode, but I hope it won't be a death flag.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-05-31, 15:46   Link #78
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Spoiler:
I have a sudden urge to see the Vajra execute exterminatus on Wind...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 15:49   Link #79
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I have a sudden urge to see the Vajra execute exterminatus on Wind...

- Tak
So you're saying they should exterminate human species because humans experiment on them (those are humans)? Windermere get their var from ruins water and apples.

Old 2016-05-31, 15:49   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It's not like she needed to "manifest them". They can detect them now: you have them or you don't have them.
Actually, I think they need to be active to be detected.

It's sort of like the ruins. They're just a bunch of rocks when not active.