Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
All I read in this topic is "STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE"
Old 2015-06-15, 22:37   Link #42
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I agree. FFIX is actually my favorite game and I've always felt it was under-appreciated. It would love it if it got another chance to shine.
I loved FFIX and I honestly wouldn't mind a remake of it either.
Old 2015-06-15, 22:38   Link #43
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
All I read in this topic is "STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE"
If that's all you got out of my posts then I'm sorry. I just want people to not hype themselves up so much over this when there's very little detail about what we're actually going to end up with. SE themselves have stated that if they ever remade FF7 it meant they were scraping the bottom of the barrel so I feel I have plenty of reason to be suspicious of this turn of events.

If it turns out they actually do remake it well without pointlessly changing things that don't need to be changed, then sure I'll probably pick it up too.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 22:38   Link #44
cyberdemon

I'm enjoying the reaction videos people are putting up. It reminds me of the ones for KH3 2 years ago lol
Old 2015-06-15, 22:43   Link #45
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
If that's all you got out of my posts then I'm sorry. I just want people to not hype themselves up so much over this when there's very little detail about what we're actually going to end up with. SE themselves have stated that if they ever remade FF7 it meant they were scraping the bottom of the barrel so I feel I have plenty of reason to be suspicious of this turn of events.

If it turns out they actually do remake it well without pointlessly changing things that don't need to be changed, then sure I'll probably pick it up too.
Well, you make some really good points. Yea, it could go wrong with today's Square and yes it might be a huge dissapointment. Square just can't afford to screw this up!

But it's still something rather than nothing, and people have been waiting for this since the PS2 era. The hype is inevitable!
Old 2015-06-15, 22:54   Link #46
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Just because it's in the "best possible hands" doesn't really mean anything. SE is nothing like the company it was 17 years ago when they made FF7.

I just think people shouldn't hype themselves up until we actually get more details. It's just a recipe for disappointment when it turns out the remake won't be anything like the original if it happens.
What does SE as a company have to do with anything? Last I checked they aren't a hivemind and consists of individuals with varying levels of talent. Furthermore whom is more suited do this other than the original director, scenario writer, character designer as well one of key concept creators? Save for missing Sakaguchi who was the original producer (and who had the least influence) these guys are the heart of the original game. Sure it's there is still a chance it could turn out bad, but given conditions and who behind there more reason for optimism than pessimism in this case. The company consist of people other than Motomu Toriyama here.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 23:21   Link #47
xatom12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmX...F58E9DED646654 the song used on FF7 remake trailer
Old 2015-06-15, 23:24   Link #48
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I could cry in joy but I wanted a FFXII remake just a bit more ;_;
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 23:32   Link #49
Random14

Yeah, was watching the livestream, they mentioned Square-Enix and then we got... some odd cutesy Final Fantasy game. Then they led into something bigger, with much better CG and wow. With the narration, I wasn't sure if it was a remake or sequel at first, but then turns out to be a remake.

And not just a stupid port of the PC/Steam version either!

It will be a long way off (how many other big games is Nomura working on already?), and they're going to have to basically start from scratch (I wonder if the dub voice actors from the Compilation are still available, though Japanese voices would be nice too), and there's a line between remake and port and redoing things, but still, very very excited. Just hope its actually on PS4 and doesn't take so long it ends up on PS5 or something like that.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 23:34   Link #50
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Welp i did not think SE would do it O_O
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 23:42   Link #51
cyberdemon

what I like about the trailer is the narration. On one hand it is talking about in game events, on the other hand it is like SE is talking to the fans as well. lol
Old 2015-06-15, 23:50   Link #52
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

David Lodge (who voiced FFXIV's Louisoix) certainly sounded like a better fit in this trailer than he ever did in Final Fantasy XIV (at least, that was the case for me; most of the English voice-acting in FFXIV has been underwhelming to me).

As for looming clash between traditionalists and progressives, I'm afraid it's perennial and inevitable. I'm on the side of the progressives: There's no point in bringing something back if you're not going to add a new spin to it.

And as for those who ask why FFVII and not any other Final Fantasy, what can I say other than suck it up? I have my own favourites in the series, and they're not necessarily the same as those of other fans. One doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth, or it'll bite you for being ungrateful.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 23:59   Link #53
Shadow5YA

I'm more concerned about the development process before I worry about whether the final product is good or not.

With Nomura in charge, this sounds oddly reminiscent of what happened with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV/Versus XIII, where Nomura was officially in charge of two games at the same time. KH3 was barely even worked on because Nomura was too busy with FFXV and just announced ahead of schedule just for the hype.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 00:14   Link #54
SvenCalBayan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
Welp i did not think SE would do it O_O
Me too. Never imagined they would do it, especially after they announced that PC port from 1997 to the PS4.

But now, wow... still can't believe it.

Besides graphics, which I believe will be stunning, considering what I've seen with FFXV, I wonder what kind of gameplay they will go for.

I like the combat of FFXV and even Type-0 HD. It's real-time action based combat with all that it entails... sure, because of that, it's only natural to control one character instead of an entire party. But still, at some point, like in Type-0 HD, you could switch characters. Considering FFVII's cast, let's say you need close combat for a while, go with Cloud or Tifa, then, when you need long range, choose Barret or Vincent.

I hope Square-Enix stays with real-time action combat... they're going the right way with this. Type-0 HD needed improvement, but for what it's worth, it was fun to play. FFXV's demo is an improvement over Type-0's combat. But I still think there's room for more.

Since they're doing an FFVII remake... I hope one day they will consider an FFVIII remake. FFVIII is my favorite FF, despite it's lame gameplay and so-so junction system... the world, the setting and the characters (except Rinoa) makes it one of the best FF title for me.
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 00:25   Link #55
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenCalBayan View Post
I like the combat of FFXV and even Type-0 HD. It's real-time action based combat with all that it entails... sure, because of that, it's only natural to control one character instead of an entire party. But still, at some point, like in Type-0 HD, you could switch characters. Considering FFVII's cast, let's say you need close combat for a while, go with Cloud or Tifa, then, when you need long range, choose Barret or Vincent.
I like the combat style of Star Ocean 4. You play as 1 character though you can switch between all the characters on the field at will. Otherwise they act on AI and how you set up their fighting style. wouldn't mind a Kingdom Hearts style fighting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenCalBayan View Post
Since they're doing an FFVII remake... I hope one day they will consider an FFVIII remake. FFVIII is my favorite FF, despite it's lame gameplay and so-so junction system... the world, the setting and the characters (except Rinoa) makes it one of the best FF title for me.
I loved ff8. The story was great but the junctioning aspect was too tedious and time consuming.
Old 2015-06-16, 00:36   Link #56
Frontier

Wow...saying that a full-on FFVII remake from SE finally getting an official announcement was the last thing I was expecting out of this year's E3 would be pretty redundant at this point, it still bares saying .

And that trailer was pretty awesome, and definitely has me hyped to see more from it in the future. Considering what they're remaking, SE has their work cut out for them and a lot of hopes to please, but getting back the biggest contributors to the original is a good start. If that trailer is any indication, even without gameplay, it looks like we're set for something really great .

It'll be interesting to see how they go about remaking it in terms of the story and gameplay. I imagine that they'll be adding and updating the story with all the prequels, side-stories, and further entries in the FFVII canon into account. Considering all the innovations to the combat system Final Fantasy has gone through, I do have to wonder how they'll handle it in the remake..looking forward to finding that out .

Though with their remaking FFVII now, it does open the door for other FF remakes in the future. FFVI and FFIX getting remakes would be awesome, and I also certainly wouldn't mind an FFVIII remake .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
It will be a long way off (how many other big games is Nomura working on already?), and they're going to have to basically start from scratch (I wonder if the dub voice actors from the Compilation are still available, though Japanese voices would be nice too), and there's a line between remake and port and redoing things, but still, very very excited. Just hope its actually on PS4 and doesn't take so long it ends up on PS5 or something like that.
Do you mean the English dub VA's? I think that, for the most part, the Advent Children cast have reprised their roles in anything with their characters released post-AC. Be neat to have the VA's for main party finally getting more to do with their characters now compared to Advent Children and Steven Burton voicing Cloud with his "original" personality. Looking forward to more George Newbern Sephiroth .
Old 2015-06-16, 00:37   Link #57
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So Final Fantasy VII remake... I'm in the group that says "really couldn't care". Not my favorite of the series (that belongs to VIII, though if I keep going through IX it may become a close second), and I'm content with the plotline. Yes, the graphics are beautiful, but let's not forget what happened with XIII, i.e. beautiful graphics, shit plot (and gameplay, from what I've heard. No, I have not played XIII). So, unless they somehow improve the plot... well, I'll buy it eventually.

And as for why FFVII, remember, everyone is wearing the nostalgia glasses of "it's the game that revolutionized gaming/rpgs/whatever it revolutionized at the time"

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 01:05   Link #58
Jaden

My inner cynic says "Oh, the name Final Fantasy isn't enough to make people care anymore, so they have to use seven"

The real problem, I suppose, is that while this is what the majority of people wanted, nobody is sure how exactly it is supposed to be done.
Old 2015-06-16, 01:07   Link #59
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I just want to see if they can do crossdressing justice... XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
inb4 all dem Aeris fans.

Tifa Lockhart is the best girl.

I'll get to set the Cloti ship sailing again, yay!
Funny you say this, as I played FF7 before my osananajimi shipping kicked into full gear. So I'm really more of an Aeris fan than a Tifa fan, especially since I abused the heck out of her first limit break as I was a total noob then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey Pyro View Post
I could cry in joy but I wanted a FFXII remake just a bit more ;_;
I want a Director's Cut, where it's the game as originally imagined by Matsuno. As much as I love Vaan and Penelo, maybe even take them out and instead focus the story with Ashe and Balthier. Or something like that.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 01:10   Link #60
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
There's no point in bringing something back if you're not going to add a new spin to it.
I do wonder how they'll handle party movement, whether it will be just Cloud walking through the world map and riding a chocobo or whether they will show the full party.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg