AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-11, 16:00   Link #181
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
I didnt like how they put japanese and english together as if all the americans knew both languages, that was a tiny bit odd. Nothing i cant look past though
I thought the Japanese characters were bilingual while the Americans spoke only English. Given the emphasis on English instruction in Japan, and the absence of Japanese classes in the US, that's almost the only plausible explanation. Also Saki was visiting the US as part of class trip, so we might expect that the she and her classmates knew enough English to rationalise an expensive overseas voyage.

The juxtaposition of the release of this show with the Korean missile launch could play either way in Japan I'd think. On the one hand, it makes the show much more pertinent than it might otherwise appear; it could also make it more scary and turn people off. (The early ratings don't support this, but it is Noitamina after all.) Missiles are not a terrorist technology; there really aren't very many countries in the world who could launch a dozen missiles into Tokyo. The DPRK doesn't have enough of them, and I can't see the Chinese or Russians doing this either. Some rogue state? One of the ex-USSR republics? But why?

I'm perfectly willing to suspend disbelief in a lot of shows, but it's harder to do that for shows in contemporary settings like this one.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-04-11 at 18:28.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 16:36   Link #182
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
As many of us probably have discovered, for every 10 frames of the opening there is one that is sufficient to make a wallpaper even out of the screencap.

Here's my current, straight out of screencap.
Agreed. If there's true HD (1080p) and creditless, I will have a very large collections of wallpapers Who ever did the story board of the opening should get a promotion.

I'm still wondering how long it took them to do the ending...
Old 2009-04-11, 16:42   Link #183
Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought the Japanese characters were bilingual while the Americans spoke only English. Given the emphasis on English instruction in Japan, and the absence of Japanese classes in the US, that's almost the only plausible explanation. Also Saki was visiting the US as part of class trip, so we might expect that the she and her classmates knew enough English to rationalise an expensive overseas voyage.
This wasnt the problem. That part seemed very realistic.

However i cant see most of the american population understanding japanese :P. Then again, that only popped up perhaps once..... and i probably blew it out of all proportion. Most of the conversation was done really well. So its not really any big deal.

Still, first episode was great :P
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 16:47   Link #184
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
This wasnt the problem. That part seemed very realistic.

However i cant see most of the american population understanding japanese :P. Then again, that only popped up perhaps once..... and i probably blew it out of all proportion. So its not really any big deal.

Still, first episode was great :P
It happened twice, I think. Most notably, when "Akira" was talking to the guy who was leaving the apartment. He asked a rather complicated question in Japanese and got a response in English (in addition to greeting the guy in Japanese). The second time is while talking to the female cop.

Honestly, I'd normally see it as a translation convention that's tolerable because the Japanese VAs are in all likelihood not very good at English. However, there's exactly one scene where Saki does speak in English, which forces me to assume that they're actually speaking in Japanese when they speak Japanese. Which means that random Americans know Japanese. Which is weird.

Yeah, it bugged me too.

Edit: But the first episode was great anyway. The first thing I did after watching it was watch it again, which I never do.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 17:44   Link #185
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The language stuff didn't bother me. They gave us real English and a line of Engrish that was comparatively well spoken. And they gave us a little mix of English and Japanese when he spoke with the other tenant, to give an impression of the language differences without interrupting the flow of communication.

In fact, although he spoke Japanese, he held up two fingers and had a questioning look on his face, so that could have been what communicated to the tenant. And maybe they tried the seiyuu with a line of English but his Engrish was so bad that they decided to go another way.

If we can accept a naked guy with a gun and cellphone, surely we can accept a little bit of illogicality in the language, especially in the good cause of the flow of the show. This is hardly a totally realistic show. But I guess we each have our limits, lol. Actually, I was more tripped up by Saki's knowing that Akira would have a room number to ask about.

As for the missiles, that is a potentially bigger illogicality, but it's early days yet. There may be other possibilities that haven't occurred to us yet.

I actually have some trouble with how nonchalant both lead characters are about their huge problems: being naked with a gun and no memories, and having to leave your luggage behind. A little bit of angst would make more sense to me. But I'll just take their nonchalance as giving savor to their personalities, for now.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 17:44   Link #186
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Honestly, I'd normally see it as a translation convention that's tolerable because the Japanese VAs are in all likelihood not very good at English. However, there's exactly one scene where Saki does speak in English, which forces me to assume that they're actually speaking in Japanese when they speak Japanese. Which means that random Americans know Japanese. Which is weird.
A lot of Americans at least know "hello" in Japanese, and there is a lot of people here that know at least one foreign language. It's not too farfetched that it could've happened this way.

The only thing that bugged me was the cab driver understanding Japanese. You know... because they can barely speak English and all. Or is that just New York cab drivers? I should research my stereotypes more...
Old 2009-04-11, 18:28   Link #187
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Holy cr*p, I didn't expected that series to be that good, I was honestly pleasantly surprised. Definitely worth to follow.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 18:43   Link #188
BlackDove
Unheard

Yeah, thought it sounded familiar.

Not used a lot in modern entertainment though. Most people think this shit comes from Spiderman.
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 19:20   Link #189
mit7059

This looks to be a very interesting show. Always up for some Honey & Clover style animation. I'll be following this one.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 19:43   Link #190
DreXav
Amused one.

An incredibly amusing show!
The only odd language inconsistency was in the corridor scene when female cop requested some nekkid action and he spoke pure japanese. But, I really, really enjoyed some true English for a change.

That, and the terrible typo in opening 01:07 "The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorEse from power"

Nonetheless, the sensation of watching first episode was similar to the one I had with FLCL xD

~D~
DreXav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 19:49   Link #191
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreXav View Post
An incredibly amusing show!
The only odd language unconsistency was in the corridor when female cop requested some nekkid action.

That, and the terrible typo in opening 01:07 "The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorEse from power"

Nonetheless, the sensation of watching first episode was similar to the one I had with FLCL xD

~D~
Whoa, didn't even see that (since they were moving, I read the words quickly and "instinctively," you know?). o_o hope it gets corrected if not during the airing, then on the DVD...
Old 2009-04-11, 20:00   Link #192
DreXav
Amused one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Whoa, didn't even see that (since they were moving, I read the words quickly and "instinctively," you know?). o_o hope it gets corrected if not during the airing, then on the DVD...
Op was made in the artistic way I so much appreciate ( and so should you! ), therefore I pay attention to details. ;]

That aside, I was abit of..erm..shocked? Openings in my sense are like business cards. First time I see a typo in an op?!

~D~
DreXav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 20:01   Link #193
Raiga
tl;dr

Well, granted, it was in English and there was a lot of text throughout the entire sequence... but yeah, kinda a disappointing mistake.
Old 2009-04-11, 20:07   Link #194
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Besides the fact that the directing was focused on his..naked self some of the times - it seems to be a good show so far. Looking forward to the next.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 21:11   Link #195
Mei

I will be following this series intently. I loved the first episode. And to be quite honest, I only just noticed the language thing when it was mentioned in this thread. It just flew past me while watching the episode. Not that I ever listen to anything real closely, just enough to understand will do
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 21:31   Link #196
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDove View Post
Yeah, thought it sounded familiar.

Not used a lot in modern entertainment though. Most people think this shit comes from Spiderman.
It goes well with the quote about abuse of greatness. Perhaps this organization puts it on everything to remind themselves not to be power hungry?
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 21:36   Link #197
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Another typo, when he's talking to Juiz on the phone, it says nobless oblige on the screen, even though it's spelled properly on the phone casing.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 21:57   Link #198
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Haven't watched the episode yet, but the opening and ending are incredible.

I don't think I've been this excited for a tv show in a long time. Leave it to Production IG...
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 22:01   Link #199
uis

Wow i really love this series...
The art really impressive and character design remind me Honey and Clover...

Overall is really good and i cant wait for second episode...

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 22:16   Link #200
Molenir

Well, so far about all this show has going for it is its unusual feel and the nice artwork. Rather unbelievable about DC, and the total and complete lack of security around the White House. Not realistic at all. Not only that but the traffic... Yeah, very much a joke. Don't care for the whole terrorist/memory wipe thing at all. Maybe its just me, but I don't find anything funny about that at all.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller