AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-01, 11:43   Link #821
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
I seriously doubt Kyo-Ani is going to run 24 episodes. The novels just don't have the material, without getting in to book 7 or later, and at that point, the author looks like he has no clue at all where he's going to go from here (with delays)
THE DELAYS ARE NOT BECAUSE OF WRITER'S BLOCK.

STOP PROPAGATING THAT.

Thank you.
Old 2008-04-01, 12:07   Link #822
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
THE DELAYS ARE NOT BECAUSE OF WRITER'S BLOCK.

STOP PROPAGATING THAT.

Thank you.
I think there's something to that theory though. Volume 9 had a weird format, and it ended so.... strangely. The thought has definitely crossed my mind that he would like to retcon the parallel story format.
Old 2008-04-01, 12:08   Link #823
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
so when is season 2 coming?
Be on the lookout on April 7th. There may be a surprise airing then. If not then, I'm hoping it doesn't air until the fall.
Old 2008-04-01, 12:17   Link #824
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I think there's something to that theory though. Volume 9 had a weird format, and it ended so.... strangely. The thought has definitely crossed my mind that he would like to retcon the parallel story format.
That's because Vol. 10 was scheduled to be released that June, and was in fact the second half of Vol. 9. It's already been written.

I have a theory that they were originally one book, but it was too long for the light novel format and Kadokawa had him cut it in half.

Then they delayed it. I'm not really sure why.
Old 2008-04-01, 12:17   Link #825
typhonsentra

I think if you're expecting them to just air it with no warning, you're bound to be disappointed. We'll hear about it, methinks.
Old 2008-04-01, 15:16   Link #826
Tamekichi
流離っている

Quote:
I think if you're expecting them to just air it with no warning, you're bound to be disappointed. We'll hear about it, methinks.
Me too, Haruhi is still too popular and they would want to get as many people watching as they. The spontaneous airings don't go with good business.
Old 2008-04-01, 15:21   Link #827
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Be on the lookout on April 7th. There may be a surprise airing then. If not then, I'm hoping it doesn't air until the fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamekichi View Post
Me too, Haruhi is still too popular and they would want to get as many people watching as they. The spontaneous airings don't go with good business.
No, there's no second season this spring.

We won't be seeing it until either summer or fall (hoping fall.)

In any case, it should be airing before Clannad After Story, sorry Chrissie.
Old 2008-04-01, 16:33   Link #828
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
No, there's no second season this spring.

We won't be seeing it until either summer or fall (hoping fall.)

In any case, it should be airing before Clannad After Story, sorry Chrissie.
Unless it's a complete random surprise. I find the odds of it happening to be about 5%.

And no, I really don't think it'll be airing before Clannad After Story at all, considering that Clannad is a continuous story as opposed to a collection of self contained stories. You want to keep the continuity as much as possible so as to keep momentum and interest and not suddenly leap into the middle of a story. I think that even taking a season off between Clannad and After Story is a little much.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have Haruhi in the fall so you can get your 2 seasons you wanted? Since Kyoani has never seemed to do a Summer-Fall 2 cours show, nor have they started a show in the fall and ended it at one cour. I REALLY do not see them wanting to change that.

Spring 2008- Off
Summer 2008- Clannad AS
Fall 2008- Haruhi
Spring 2008- Haruhi (Even though it's a stupid move to make, just made to appease fans)
Summer 2008- FMP (Again, to appease fans)

Though I'd hate to be Kyoani... They have 2 series that logically should be put off or done differently, but because of their fans their forced to do things differently than the way it should be done.

(By the way, the 5% is a death note reference, not a real guess. )
Old 2008-04-01, 16:59   Link #829
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Unless it's a complete random surprise. I find the odds of it happening to be about 5%.

And no, I really don't think it'll be airing before Clannad After Story at all, considering that Clannad is a continuous story as opposed to a collection of self contained stories. You want to keep the continuity as much as possible so as to keep momentum and interest and not suddenly leap into the middle of a story. I think that even taking a season off between Clannad and After Story is a little much.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have Haruhi in the fall so you can get your 2 seasons you wanted? Since Kyoani has never seemed to do a Summer-Fall 2 cours show, nor have they started a show in the fall and ended it at one cour. I REALLY do not see them wanting to change that.

Spring 2008- Off
Summer 2008- Clannad AS
Fall 2008- Haruhi
Spring 2008- Haruhi (Even though it's a stupid move to make, just made to appease fans)
Summer 2008- FMP (Again, to appease fans)

Though I'd hate to be Kyoani... They have 2 series that logically should be put off or done differently, but because of their fans their forced to do things differently than the way it should be done.

(By the way, the 5% is a death note reference, not a real guess. )
Still don't see them releasing a series they just announced before a series they announced 9 months ago.
Old 2008-04-01, 17:09   Link #830
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Still don't see them releasing a series they just announced before a series they announced 9 months ago.
I think that announcement was for crack for the Haruhi fans. Something announced just so they know it is coming, and Kyoani wasn't ignoring their rampid requests and beggings. As was the announcement in December, something just to show them that they aren't forgotten, and it is indeed coming. They have to do that, or they lose a lot of fan interest in ways of "Well, Kyoto doesn't listen to us..."

I see them finishing the story they announced before Haruhi. After Story is just a continuation, just like Air in Summer is just a continuation of Air.
Old 2008-04-01, 17:14   Link #831
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I think that announcement was for crack for the Haruhi fans. Something announced just so they know it is coming, and Kyoani wasn't ignoring their rampid requests and beggings. As was the announcement in December, something just to show them that they aren't forgotten, and it is indeed coming. They have to do that, or they lose a lot of fan interest in ways of "Well, Kyoto doesn't listen to us..."

I see them finishing the story they announced before Haruhi. After Story is just a continuation, just like Air in Summer is just a continuation of Air.
Yes, and Haruhi 2 is a continuation of Haruhi.

After Story, while not a standalone story, is a sequel. I can see them waiting another year for it, especially if they want to expand it to 24 episodes and include the minor character arcs.
Old 2008-04-01, 17:25   Link #832
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Yes, and Haruhi 2 is a continuation of Haruhi.

After Story, while not a standalone story, is a sequel. I can see them waiting another year for it, especially if they want to expand it to 24 episodes and include the minor character arcs.
I'm assuming you played through After Story. I would not call that a sequel, considering it's the same game, and it really is just a continuation of Naigsa's route. Like, take away the school life route. Can you honestly see anyone being able to understand anything going on in there? It's impossible without prior knowledge of at least Nagisa's route, and may require a few others as well.
After Story is not a sequel, it is parts two of two. It's like Higurashi Kai, or Code Geass R2, where they are the same story split in half.

Haruhi is a standalone novel. It is very easy to understand the plot in Volume 4 without reading volume 1. Most novels are like this, since they tend to have a simple explanation of the world at the very beginning. It's like the second movement of a symphony, as compared to Clannad which is changing from the allegro to the Largo in the same movement. That's why Haruhi was able to include plot elements from volume 1, 3, 5, and 6 in the first season. They are simply standalone stories with little continuity.
So, yes, Haruhi 2 is a continuation of Haruhi, but it is a pure sequel. Clannad 2 is a continuation of Clannad, and it is a part 2. Think Lord of the Rings movie compared to the Indiana Jones series.
Old 2008-04-01, 18:12   Link #833
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I'm assuming you played through After Story. I would not call that a sequel, considering it's the same game, and it really is just a continuation of Naigsa's route. Like, take away the school life route. Can you honestly see anyone being able to understand anything going on in there? It's impossible without prior knowledge of at least Nagisa's route, and may require a few others as well.
After Story is not a sequel, it is parts two of two. It's like Higurashi Kai, or Code Geass R2, where they are the same story split in half.

Haruhi is a standalone novel. It is very easy to understand the plot in Volume 4 without reading volume 1. Most novels are like this, since they tend to have a simple explanation of the world at the very beginning. It's like the second movement of a symphony, as compared to Clannad which is changing from the allegro to the Largo in the same movement. That's why Haruhi was able to include plot elements from volume 1, 3, 5, and 6 in the first season. They are simply standalone stories with little continuity.
So, yes, Haruhi 2 is a continuation of Haruhi, but it is a pure sequel. Clannad 2 is a continuation of Clannad, and it is a part 2. Think Lord of the Rings movie compared to the Indiana Jones series.
Code Geass R2 and HiguKai were both released a year after the originals, and had a following large enough to keep interest.

And while it may be easy to understand Volume 4's plot without reading Volume 1, it is much more difficult to enjoy it without an understanding of the characters.

Why are we arguing again?
Old 2008-04-01, 18:21   Link #834
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because the Genderbent thread is slow today?
Old 2008-04-01, 18:28   Link #835
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Clannad people are still feeling the high from the ending and want to continue the ride while Haruhi people are fiending. Both factions are wanting their anime to be the next one because quite honestly we're all addicts. Thus disputes occur. Picture it like people arguing about their favorite baseball team.
Old 2008-04-01, 20:38   Link #836
lastchance

1) I stand corrected.
2) I still don't see them releasing 24 episodes this season considering where the story is at currently (though 9-12 months from announcement to release does seem long?, though maybe I'm being biased, but I think it's a good guess).

Also, Clannad AS is probably going to come after Haruhi S2.

Quote:
Agree with this. Also, I can't imagine they'd be such a short turnaround time from the announcement of Clannad AS to actually animating it (in fact, there should be no chance that Clannad AS is coming out in the summer, like no chance at all). They still have to release the OVA and that's being released in effing July. (so yeah, Clannad AS coming out in summer, no chance at all, would be willing to bet large amounts of money on this)

Also, I think Haruhi would come out in the summer or the fall (small chance of winter) given Kyo-Ani's release schedule. Nigh impossible they have another project in the works before then, and are they really going to wait a damn year before doing anything else? I doubt it. Plus, thing was announced in July...

I think the following is the most likely scenario (by quite a margin):
Summer: Haruhi S2
Fall: Clannad AS

Other than that, this works, but is sig less likely IMO:
Fall/Winter: Haruhi S2 (if fall release, yeah, chance for 24 eps here)
Winter/Spring: Clannad AS

That's my best guess. I assume it's reasonable. There's no way Summer Clannad AS happens. There's no way Haruhi gets a 3rd season anytime in the next year (though yes, 24 could work, but jeez, I doubt it, considering promotion on focusing on 4th book and some knowledge of novelization).

Eh.. the more I think about it, the more they could run second book as well as fourth book, and that's a good 10+ eps right there, man, I just don't think they have enough, and from a marketing standpoint, seems easier to promote one main story.

Last edited by lastchance; 2008-04-01 at 20:50.
Old 2008-04-01, 20:39   Link #837
ijuinkun

Quote:
And while it may be easy to understand Volume 4's plot without reading Volume 1, it is much more difficult to enjoy it without an understanding of the characters.
I think that to understand the entire Kyon-goes-back-to-Tanabata section, you have to already know Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.
Old 2008-04-01, 21:39   Link #838
brocko

From a Clannad POV, it'd make much more sense to animate the After Story first so as not to disrupt the flow of the story. By shoving Haruhi 2 in between, you disjoint the Clannad story into two and risk losing fan interest at the same time. However seeing as though Clannad does have a pretty huge following and the fact that there's a timeskip between Clannad and it's After Story anyway (or so I've heard), i guess KyoAni can get away with animating Haruhi 2 in between the two Clannad seasons.

The thing here is that the thought of Haruhi being such a huge success probably never even crossed the minds of KyoAni while they were planning their production schedule imo. And as such they probably already had a whole bunch of shows lined up and ready to go for the next two or so years (Kanon > Lucky Star > Clannad > After Story), neglecting a sleeping Haruhi 2 in the process. But after realising what a huge hit Haruhi had been, they most likely managed to pull a few strings here and there, reworking their cash cow into a more favourable spot on the schedule, right smack between Clannad and it's After Story.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-04-01, 21:54   Link #839
Bionicman

In reference to the Book 2 debate, I saw another person who argued against animating it on a blog. To wit:
Quote:
A lot of people seem to be wondering about this, so here’s the deal about the second book:

In short, it sucks.

It’s not badly written, but it’s pretty long and doesn’t tell much of a story. Haruhi makes a terrible movie, loses touch with reality. Reality reshapes itself to fit Haruhi’s movie, Kyon fixes everything by making her read a disclaimer. Yeah. Basically, every funny part was in Bouken, and then some. If there was a postscript that explained Mikuru Beam/Shamisen, Bouken (6th book) would wholly replace Sighs. Already, it makes Sighs largely redundant.

It gets worse, though. After the success of Melancholy, the author wrote Sighs at the same time as the serialization that became Boredom. He set Sighs far in the future (November vs. May) but didn’t account for any kind of character development in the meantime… so there isn’t any in Boredom either, really.

Sighs really screws up the character development of the middle of the series. Not only does character development largely stagnate through the summer, but in November (movie filming) they act sort of out of character and more like their old Melancholy selves. Then immediately after (Live Alive, Day of Sagittarius) they act more like you would expect after having been together that long. It’s jarring, and another reason the second book is best forgotten.

It’s also worth noting that Boredom (the baseball story specifically) is basically a recap for those seeing the series for the first time in the serialization. Development-wise it’s kind of a step backwards from the events of Melancholy VI. It doesn’t really work in sequence.

I think the ‘character development makes more sense in broadcast order’ meme stems from this summer stagnation.
Old 2008-04-01, 22:41   Link #840
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Code Geass R2 and HiguKai were both released a year after the originals, and had a following large enough to keep interest.

I may be completely wrong, but from what I saw, Higurashi Kai seemed to have nothing like the viewers and interest it had in the first season, pretty much all the way through. In the end, there was only one group fansubbing it, and the amount of viewers had substancially decreased. Just observations on my part, since I watch Higurashi in August, so I was just looking through past archives.
Clannad's riding really high right now. Looking at it from a reward sense... The amount of Haruhiists remain the same every day. If a Haruhiist is looking forward to a S2 still, after 2 years, odds are the same people would be 3 or 4 years after. But the amount of interest in Clannad will drop the longer they stall it out. Sacrafice fans and money for a couple of fans who will be there 3 months later, or reap the rewards of what was sewn?

Quote:

A Clannadite and a Haruhiist are bound to be arguing until one of the shows finally airs. We're both obsessive over our respective shows, and want them first, to the point where it blinds both of us. We therefore enter the mindset of "This show must air first. There is no other logical choice." Because our hearts override our rationale, and our minds confuse the two.
It's the same reason why Haruhiists were arguing that Haruhi would air in the fall and Clannad in the Spring last year, while Clannadites were arguing that Clannad would air in the Fall and continue until June, or possibly September.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen