AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-04-13, 12:06   Link #421
Gundamx

Mech from under swimming pool?
Mazin Go... never mind wrong anime..
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:14   Link #422
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
Valvrave I-IV and Arus' Fighters:
Valve 2 is missing. Argento Soma much?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:27   Link #423
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I don't think there was any reaching by the translators in this case.

The Japanese term for the Third Reich is 第三帝国. The term used in Valvrave is 第三銀河帝国. It's an obvious modification of the term to insert "Galactic" into it. The intent is extremely clear. To anyone familiar with history at all, there is no coincidence.
Except for all we know the show is just being pretentious and they're not actually Space Nazis. (They could be Space Prussians or whatever.) "Third Reich" has pretty strong connotations and it's not necessarily a good idea use it in a story whose world we barely know anything about. It's not a huge issue, the German is all over the place anyway, I just think it's a bit too much.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 14:01   Link #424
hai_san

Crazy season... 2 months ago there was hardly any anime serie worth watching only 2-3 for me. In the last 1-2 Weeks there started tons of series...

Interestingly this serie in comparison with Gargantia i've watch, the other serie startet with a galactic war then got "downgraded" to stranded back to earth with action, slice of life. Valvrare started "low" with shonen high school life (love drama?) then will be expanded to probably intergalactic war between superpowers...

ps: way to start a serie with the girl the MC likes dying!
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 14:21   Link #425
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Except for all we know the show is just being pretentious and they're not actually Space Nazis.
I wouldn't call it "being pretentious" since the show is rather silly and all over the place. Using German terms doesn't really change that either way.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:00   Link #426
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I wouldn't call it "being pretentious" since the show is rather silly and all over the place. Using German terms doesn't really change that either way.
I meant the show being pretentious about its setting... Maybe "pretentious" is not the best word but anyway, what I was getting at is that at this point we barely know anything about the Dorssians and it's too early to make assumptions.

But as I said earlier, I don't think it's a particularly big deal.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:04   Link #427
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

feels like Code Geass all over again
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:14   Link #428
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Meh

I was pretty enthralled by Code Geass whereas this was the definition of meh. Pretty sad that the best mecha show of the season is probably the show which isn't really a mecha title.

I hope this and MJP (haven't seen the second episode) step their shit up, they just feel off at the moment. I'll honestly take Date A Live over both of them at the moment and fark me sideways and call me sally, I never thought I would say that before this season started.

Music was very underwhelming and disappointing as well.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:15   Link #429
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Glad to hear this is split cour. I was really worried about this being one cour, given what happened with Sacred Seven, but since this is two cour I'll give it a try without any reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Crazy season... 2 months ago there was hardly any anime serie worth watching only 2-3 for me. In the last 1-2 Weeks there started tons of series...
I'm inclined to say the same, but I've been fooled before. I've had seasons, particularly in the Spring and Fall, where it feels like I start watching 10 shows that all have potential then as it goes on that dwindles down to 3-5 at best. I'm expecting the same to happen this season.
Old 2013-04-13, 15:16   Link #430
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...So... Is that good or bad ?
Depends. Are you okay with being preached? Because that's what they are doing. "Here is your fan service, cool fight scenes and drama. Are you happy now? Isn't that why you are here?" In a "Gladiators" movie style of confrontation.

Normally all three things are spaced out, sometimes given their own episodes. VVV is deliberately putting them together, so you don't know if you are suppose to be turned on, excited, or sad.
Old 2013-04-13, 16:05   Link #431
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Splicer Z looks like the child of X-wing and Tie Interceptor.

Me thinks it's all nanomachines (vampire, transforming mech?). Valvrave is the smaller Devil Gundam, a walking disease.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 16:50   Link #432
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Except for all we know the show is just being pretentious and they're not actually Space Nazis. (They could be Space Prussians or whatever.) "Third Reich" has pretty strong connotations and it's not necessarily a good idea use it in a story whose world we barely know anything about. It's not a huge issue, the German is all over the place anyway, I just think it's a bit too much.
Well, with the sheer pleasure and joy the little boy had at realizing there was a surviving scientist, then gleefully finishing him off (seriously, why all these boobie animated gifs, and none of that particularly gleeful moment ), presumably there isn't going to be much moral gray area on who's the bad guys here.

German terms for the baddies is a time honored tradition in anime, as well as over analyzing light-hearted anime that isn't trying to make any serious social/artistic statements.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 17:18   Link #433
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Images
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Fujoshi strong

Images
Leia Rolando?
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 17:27   Link #434
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 18:18   Link #435
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

wtf was that ending??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Meh

I was pretty enthralled by Code Geass whereas this was the definition of meh. Pretty sad that the best mecha show of the season is probably the show which isn't really a mecha title.

I hope this and MJP (haven't seen the second episode) step their shit up, they just feel off at the moment. I'll honestly take Date A Live over both of them at the moment and fark me sideways and call me sally, I never thought I would say that before this season started.

Music was very underwhelming and disappointing as well.
Well, this is more Gundam-esque than Code Geass imo. I'd consider this slightly above average, my only real complaint being that the transition between Shouko "dying" and Haruto entering the mech felt awkward, like there was a bit cut out of the ep. This could have been a lot worse, and they managed to make it interesting.
Old 2013-04-13, 18:37   Link #436
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Well, this is more Gundam-esque than Code Geass imo.
Mainly the part with an immortal that can quickly revive from a fatal gunshot, and the whole school setting.

Code Geass was also kind of Gundam-esque - a masked former price seeking revenge, but that prototype white mecha keep standing in his way.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 18:43   Link #437
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
Valvrave OS-tan:
Her bra, panties and chocker also conveniently forms the 3 Vs.

When Haruto revived, his face was covered with criss-crossing Vs.
Old 2013-04-13, 18:47   Link #438
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Well, after a long winter we're finally getting perhaps the first buds of a Mecha spring. By my count we have 3 mecha shows this season, which hasn't happened in a few years (I think 2009, maybe even 08). Hopefully at least one of these shows will turn out well. I have high hopes for Valvrave and Gargantia. First episode of Valvrave was a bit formula, but I was quite entertained, so if they manage to keep things going, I'll be satisfied.

What I find most promising about this recent batch of mecha shows is that they seem to be eschewing the recent trend for "superhero mecha anime", where the show pretty much follows the superhero or Shonen formula, and not mecha. They're mecha in appearance, but not in their soul.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 19:24   Link #439
cyoti

So instead we've Twilight meets Mecha. I can't believe I'm typing this.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 19:53   Link #440
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
So instead we've Twilight meets Mecha. I can't believe I'm typing this.
What's this about Twilight representing vampires?

No, I don't get it. You are seriously calling Twilight a representative franchise for vampirisim. And you are not the only one. A novel about a horny girl deciding which boy she wants to sleep with is now what vampires are about?

Tags
action, body swapping, fukujun, love polygon, mecha, sci-fi, space, space idol, vampire