今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I will laugh if Benten is really Benzaiten
Old 2013-07-14, 11:22   Link #62
EroKing

;___________________;
Old 2013-07-14, 12:11   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Did Benten kill and eat their father? That's messed up.
Old 2013-07-14, 12:16   Link #64
LKK

Does the human populace at large know about the existence of tanuki, etc.? I can't decide.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 12:57   Link #65
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

This is a nice surprise for this anime season, with its understated humor. I get all sorts of similar vibes to Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita.

I'm curious if Tengu being eaten in a hotpot has some larger cultural importance or is this a premise unique to this anime? :/ If not, I wonder what the perceived gain is in eating the Tengu. Presumably it's not quite on the same level as eating tiger balls stewed in soup.

I like the Benten really being the goddess Benzaiten theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Does the human populace at large know about the existence of tanuki, etc.? I can't decide.
Also, the human populace at large does not know about Tengu, or our protagonist wouldn't hide his transformations.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 13:15   Link #66
sikvod00

When that scumbag tanuki turned into a lion and kept the three stooges bowl hair I nearly flipped my shit.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 17:16   Link #67
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
This is a nice surprise for this anime season, with its understated humor. I get all sorts of similar vibes to Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita.

I'm curious if Tengu being eaten in a hotpot has some larger cultural importance or is this a premise unique to this anime? :/ If not, I wonder what the perceived gain is in eating the Tengu. Presumably it's not quite on the same level as eating tiger balls stewed in soup.

I like the Benten really being the goddess Benzaiten theory.

Also, the human populace at large does not know about Tengu, or our protagonist wouldn't hide his transformations.
Tengu and Tanuki are different things. Tengu are flying gods/ascetics often associated with crows and long noses (also wind). Tanuki are 'racoon-dogs' known for their transformations and trickery (also huge testicles).

Anyway, ep. 2 was fucking hilarious. Can't believe the father got eaten in a hotpot (and yes, Benten is/was clearly behind it). Good shit.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 18:07   Link #68
bastek66

ಠ_ಠ

http://pinktentacle.com/2009/06/all-...-by-kuniyoshi/
Old 2013-07-14, 19:47   Link #69
cyth
Banned

Episode 02 saved the show for me. It's also interesting thinking about tengu. In kanji it means heavenly dog, and tanuki are racoon dogs. So what sort of dog is a human?

The show reminds me of Kyousogiga with its supernatural experimentation, but now that others have mentioned it, it does have Jintai vibes as well.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 20:35   Link #70
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

LOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE This show. This episode has sealed it for me that it's a must see all the way.

So one brother is a frog?

I like Mama Tanuki. She's hilarious

Big Bro changing into Tiger was awesome....

I'm definitely intrigued by whatever Benten's and Yasuburo's backstory is now...
Old 2013-07-15, 00:28   Link #71
molitar

Ok this show is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww..... He is supposed to be living and interesting life????? I about fell asleep through this one I don't remember watching anything as boring as this one in a long time. I was really hoping for more with tanuki, tengu, and humans living in the same world but this was just boring.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 00:37   Link #72
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The background art is fantastic. Exciting and atmospheric.

The humour doesn't reach me at all. And the story is slow, but I have hope. There are enough potentially interesting characters and situations that something may eventually happen.

However, I was thinking I was bored as I watched ep2, but discovered the show was ending long before I expected it to. So perhaps there is more here than I realize.

And I could listen to Sakurai Takahiro all day.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 04:28   Link #73
nil
nothing yet..

I wonder if you know tanukis are said to metamorphose. This is common knowledge in Japan. Unless you know it, you may feel this show somewhat nonsense.
nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 04:29   Link #74
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
However, I was thinking I was bored as I watched ep2, but discovered the show was ending long before I expected it to. So perhaps there is more here than I realize.
This is confusing. What happened? Did a tanuki transform into boredom to trick you?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 06:04   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

A dysfunctional family consisting of a strict but panicky eldest son, an apparently guilt ridden 2nd son living down a well, a fast living carefree 3rd son who crossdresses and a manual laboring 4th son working under their family's hated rivals. All of them being raised to live up to a famous father who died being eaten in a hotpot party.

A recipe for gold. I am however curious that, assuming she had a part in it, he doesn't seem to harbor any ill feelings towards Benten.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 07:18   Link #76
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
A recipe for gold. I am however curious that, assuming she had a part in it, he doesn't seem to harbor any ill feelings towards Benten.
He may not know that Benten (seems to have) had a part in his father's death. He may not know exactly who was present at the dinner. Or -- and I consider this equally likely -- he may know about the event than we're able to deduce from that quick flashback. I expect to learn more about what happened as the show goes on.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:15   Link #77
cyth
Banned

What makes the show intriguing so far, to me, is that I can't really pin the blame on Benten for the tanuki family's tragedy. It's like, there's got to me more to this than just simply pointing fingers at the tengu.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:52   Link #78
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I'm thrilled to find out the second episode is just as good as the first episode. Takahiro Sakurai is perfect as Yasuburo with delivering the right amount of nostalgia and sadness to his character.

Family dynamic is pretty sweet too! I love the 2nd son.

Can't wait for more Benten!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 09:17   Link #79
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
What makes the show intriguing so far, to me, is that I can't really pin the blame on Benten for the tanuki family's tragedy. It's like, there's got to me more to this than just simply pointing fingers at the tengu.
She's not a tengu, she's a human (who learned to fly somehow...).

Hmm... maybe I'm just a sucker for youkai stuff, but I love this series so far. Don't have much to say other than that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 11:28   Link #80
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post

;___________________;
As amazingly ridiculous as it is, I could feel my eyes watering at that moment. ;_;
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works