AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 11
10: Amazing... 6 14.63%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 3 7.32%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 7 17.07%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 24.39%
6 out of 10: Average... 7 17.07%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 2.44%
4 out of 10: Poor... 3 7.32%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 2 4.88%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-18, 08:42   Link #41
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That's exactly what I was saying too... So why are we debating this again?
i dunno, for some reason your drawing parallels with UC(Gundams?)?

or maybe we're both being a bit hardheaded since we've had that discussion before

Quote:
Yup. Its like Zakus continuing to use the cheap machine guns even after Gelgoogs were introduced with beam rifles. There's a limitation somewhere that isn't described. And poor writing or not, they will probably recon in an explanation somewhere down the line.
i'd use the Hi-Zack as a example instead, since the unit is capable of using a Beam rifle, but for some reason is seen using a 120mm rifle instead, it doesnt add up, as i said it's most likely just bad storytelling on the writers part.

Or who knows, the AGE system might've been working nonstop with the 2nd gen Genoace(Adele?) and it's going to be shown towards the end of the first generation, but even that would be shitty writing in my eyes since we've had plenty of windows for the Genoace to get a rifle and suddenly be useful

Or even better, something i'm sure ive mentioned before

For the plot!

The Genoace getting a useful rifle would kill the " cool " factor of the AGE-1 and it would sell less kits
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 08:47   Link #42
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
i dunno, for some reason your drawing paralells with UC?
Just saying that the boosted jumps are really small compared to those in UC, where the Gundam was able to jump way up high in the sky, like a few hundred meters, before falling back down. We really don't see that at all here.

Quote:
i'd use the Hi-Zack as a example instead, since the unit is capable of using a Beam rifle, but for some reason is seen using a 120mm rifle instead, it doesnt add up, as i said it's most likely just bad storytelling on the writers part.

Or who knows, the AGE system might've been working nonstop with the 2nd gen Genoace(Adele?) and it's going to be shown towards the end of the first generation, but even that would be shitty writing in my eyes since we've had plenty of windows for the Genoace to get a rifle and suddenly be useful
Yeah, usually bad writing gets addressed one way or other, since Gundam fans are nitpicky with technical details like that. So they'll probably come up with something.

Would have definitely helped the story had they chose to give the grunt suits better weapons though, since it would make their battle against the UE ship/fortress more believable. No idea why they didn't go with that.
Old 2011-12-18, 08:52   Link #43
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Would have definitely helped the story had they chose to give the grunt suits better weapons though, since it would make their battle against the UE ship/fortress more believable. No idea why they didn't go with that.
Agreed. Read somewhere on this forum once that kids weren't responding well to AGE because, unlike other recent Gundam series like SEED and 00, there's only one Gundam. With multiple Gundams, kids can choose which is their favourite and root for it, so to speak. Maybe if the Genoaces were given better weapons we could have 3 'main pilots' - Flit, Woolf, and Largan.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 09:06   Link #44
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Just saying that the boosted jumps are really small compared to those in UC, where the Gundam was able to jump way up high in the sky, like a few hundred meters, before falling back down. We really don't see that at all here.

Yeah, usually bad writing gets addressed one way or other, since Gundam fans are nitpicky with technical details like that. So they'll probably come up with something.

Oh yeah, well this show has been pretty mediocre if not below that sofar, in terms of Mecha-related things.

Yeah i don't understand it either, i mean, it's like they are shooting themselfs in the foot by only having Flit and Woolf, not to mention the UE are pretty uninteresting with their constant hand-cannon spamming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
Agreed. Read somewhere on this forum once that kids weren't responding well to AGE because, unlike other recent Gundam series like SEED and 00, there's only one Gundam. With multiple Gundams, kids can choose which is their favourite and root for it, so to speak. Maybe if the Genoaces were given better weapons we could have 3 'main pilots' - Flit, Woolf, and Largan.
Or if Largan and his Genoace was given the Titus parts.

If i recall some Hobby owner asked if a kid buying the HG Titus kit liked AGE, he said yes but he said he liked Unicorn more because the designs are cooler.

no shit kids think Unicorn is cooler where the suits are actually dishing it out against eachother, instead of standing still and .. well, shooting with their hand cannons.

Edit:

Seen the fansubbed version now. this episode is dumb, they are going to assault the UE stronghold with .. mobile suits, and have a " bare minimum amount of mobile suits guarding the fleet " ? Woolf, Largan and Flit are going to defend the Diva from the UE's mobile suits, Sounds like a plan, right?

it would, if the other Mobile suits could do any kind of damage to the UE at all. " We can't do it without Grodek". he is one man, they already had the plan laid out and all their allies, thats just stupid execution by the writer Again.

Not to mention the big federation FLEET heading towards them to arrest the Diva/Grodek?/Diva's crew when they couldnt spare anything in previous episodes or didnt care? What the hell is going on in this show? " the federation is corrupt " no, this is bullshit.

Giving the episode 1/10, shit doesnt add up in this show anymore.

Last edited by Znozzy; 2011-12-18 at 10:39.
Old 2011-12-18, 10:49   Link #45
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Sorry Emily, you lost against Yurin
Old 2011-12-18, 10:51   Link #46
ion475
にこにこにー

As I promised, I'll give this a 10 just b/c of Yamada Yurin. And the fact that Emily barely appear to bleed my ears helps as well.

Okay, outside of Yurin, the episode is very average. Grodek's arrest = no suspense at all (At least wait until next episode for Flit to save the day, not throwing some 3 minutes "battle" scene in which the Genoace, as usual, getting trashed), while, seriously, with Grodek not on the ship, and they didn't just shoot everyone and take Diva over? (I mean, the ship along with everyone onboard is basically defenseless, to the point that they don't even have to try. Wait, who knows, maybe Emily will get onto AGE-1 and start owning everybody...). As far as battle plan, we'll see the spanking new cannon doing something next episode, then goes nowhere against UE. On the other hand, what's with those freaking adults listening to some Chuu-Ni 14 years old kid all the time?

With my last note, I wonder how long Yurin will last. She has death flags written all over her...("Will meet again when the war is over" + Being a Gundam pilot GF = she'll not survived...)
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 11:39   Link #47
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

^^^

Unless Adams has been in regular communications with the Federation, I doubt the Federation would know how many people are actually onboard, or what their disposition is. Sending commandos into such an unknown situation is unwise. If I were in charge of apprehending a mutineer, I would choose to do so in a quiet and low profile method.

The flaw with the particular plan in the episode was not apprehending everyone but only Grodek. Why give them any chance to radio the Diva for help?
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:22   Link #48
Dr. Casey

Great episode, definitely my favorite so far; we do need episodes that focus on things besides robots fighting in space every once in a while. It feels like the first generation is starting to wind down, with this being the calm before the final battle storm. I kind of hope that after this battle's over, Flit comes back to Minsry, dates Yurin and eventually makes babies with her (I like Emily just fine, but I think she's pretty well friend zoned), and that the second generation starts with the new main character living on Minsry. Minsry's easily my favorite locale in the series so far, very pretty and I like the concept of a peaceful, neutral territory. Would be nice for Minsry to appear a few more times rather than just being a one-shot location, and I really like the idea of Flit, Yurin, and their kid living in such a lovely place for at least a good 20 years or so (The second generation kid is 17 whenever he's introduced according to the official website, so even if Yurin gets knocked up the same day Flit comes back from battle, that's pretty close to 18 years there until the next part of the series begins).
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:52   Link #49
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
it doesnt add up, as i said it's most likely just bad storytelling on the writers part.

Or even better, something i'm sure ive mentioned before

For the plot!

The Genoace getting a useful rifle would kill the " cool " factor of the AGE-1 and it would sell less kits
Well since they can readjust the AGE system to reconfigure a battleship based on existing data then surely it should be as simple as reconfiguring it to help reconfigure a Genoace.

For that matter Largan's Genoace was upgraded with heavier armour which allowed it to last longer against the brute UE.

And what the heck is up with the EFF captain? How many chocolate bars does that guy have or does it simply regenerate after he takes a bite?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:52   Link #50
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Writing errors really stick out like a sore thumb. Unless Madorna's been tailing the Diva for the last two weeks, he can't just appear out of nowhere if the transit from Fardain to Minsry takes two weeks.
I feel that this one can be easily written off. By the end of episode 10, the Diva hadn't left for Minisry yet. It's possible that before they did, Emily suggested Madorna tag along. If not, then he could of came with them while they were in transit. It's not too hard to believe, it is Gundam after all. He could of just used a shuittle to catch up with them. Either one of those is good with me.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:54   Link #51
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked how Emily called in Madorna for help, though how did he get there so fast? Too bad for her when she was helping out Flit was too busy having fun with Yurin behind her back. She definitely picked up on the ribbon he had.
Old 2011-12-18, 16:34   Link #52
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
[cut] Looks like everybody's having a pretty good discussion right now and just shooting the shit and giving their thoughts, but sadly it will all be over soon enough. Such is life......

Anyway good to see Yurin back in the show. I feel that with her return the main plot will probably be kicking into a higher gear all the way to the end of Flit's saga. Now all that remains to be seen is if she gets Lalah'ed like everyone is expecting. Also since this forum is all about the variety when it comes to the poll I'm just going to pick a random number from 1 to 10 and just vote that as my score. Feel like I might as well join in the chaos this week and go with the flow since I'm honestly too sick to argue the usual bullshit anyway.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-12-18 at 18:54. Reason: please do not taunt other members.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 17:57   Link #53
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

I just want to know what's making Yurin cower in fear from the episode preview. Is it because her adoptive father revealed to them what he think will really go down at Ambat?

Also, the speculation that Decil could be her long-lost brother should be more than enough to keep people guessing about Yurin's ultimate fate. Setting off a century-old family feud, with an unleashed Decil attacking at every turn in Asem's arc hellbent on revenge could be interesting to watch.
Old 2011-12-18, 18:21   Link #54
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Hm, Minsry looks like a colony dominated by forests and bodies of water rather than cities. I'm think the term "Old Earth" could be akin to when Earth wasn't over developed with cities and man made structures. That's my guess anyway.

Post episode viewing edit: Ok, now I'm positive the term "Old Earth" means the way Earth was before the major human developments and cities. I'm willing to bet Earth in AGE has more cities and manmade structures than green forests and such. However Earth in the intro looks the same as always. This episode was overall pretty good, Flit and Yurin's reunion was cute. I do see the lazy writing in this ep though, mainly the whole two weeks thing. If they were at this colony for two weeks, why didn't Emily an Dique go and meet Flit on the inside? They were so busy with helping Madorna and Vargas that they couldn't take an hour or two to just go and have fun with Flit? That ain't too believeable to me, but it's no deal breaker.

Overall, a 6/10. It sets the stage for end game mission, and the interaction with Flit and Yurin is especially nice. but the managing of the two week montage was a bit lack luster. At least it got Flut and Yurin to be closer, which is what I wanted. So it's a double edged sword for me.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2011-12-18 at 18:56.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 19:30   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm just the guy who knows almost squat about Gundam, but can it really be possible that Flit ends up with Emily? Yurin has it over Emily is such spectacular fashion, in every way - she's prettier, more interesting, mysterious, demure, affectionate... I admit Emily has the thankless "wife" role to play, but boy...

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-12-18 at 23:09.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 20:00   Link #56
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Depends on who you talk to. For longtime Gundam fans (particularly those who follow the Universal Century universe), they see female love interests who start out as childhood friends as friend-zoned from the get go. Enchanting, mysterious female love interests, who are melodramatically attached to the main protagonists often perish in tragic ways.

While Gundam AGE is outside of the Universal Century (UC) universe, so far, it's paid homage or made references to numerous things found in the original UC series. We don't know for sure how it might end, but those who've seen enough Gundam might have a few hypotheses already for the end of January, when Flit's arc ends.
Old 2011-12-18, 20:06   Link #57
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Depends on who you talk to. For longtime Gundam fans (particularly those who follow the Universal Century universe), they see female love interests who start out as childhood friends as friend-zoned from the get go. Enchanting, mysterious female love interests, who are melodramatically attached to the main protagonists often perish in tragic ways.

While Gundam AGE is outside of the Universal Century (UC) universe, so far, it's paid homage or made references to numerous things found in the original UC series. We don't know for sure how it might end, but those who've seen enough Gundam might have a few hypotheses already for the end of January, when Flit's arc ends.
Well, quick connection with female = dead female, to put it short.

Or if they happen to pilot a Giant Mobile armor that goes on a rampage.

Or if they get " Newtype flashes "

Stellar, Four, Rosamia, The original Lalah, Quess(lol),Loni, Flay, list goes on

If they are introduced after episode 1 and don't know the main character from earlier, odds are they are going to die, hell, even if they know the MC from earlier and one of the above happens they are going to die.

Every female cyber/Newtype dies in Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well since they can readjust the AGE system to reconfigure a battleship based on existing data then surely it should be as simple as reconfiguring it to help reconfigure a Genoace.

For that matter Largan's Genoace was upgraded with heavier armour which allowed it to last longer against the brute UE.

And what the heck is up with the EFF captain? How many chocolate bars does that guy have or does it simply regenerate after he takes a bite?
He has one. Its a Nanoselfreplicatingchocolatebar. hail several years of space colonization!

and i belive i've ranted enough about the Age builder being underused, just read one of my previous posts why i think its dumb it havnt been used for the Genoaces
Old 2011-12-18, 20:33   Link #58
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
and i belive i've ranted enough about the Age builder being underused, just read one of my previous posts why i think its dumb it havnt been used for the Genoaces
Oh boy, here we go. First people complain about how they don't want to see the AGE Builder being used to solve every problem, and now someone is complaining it's not being used enough?
Old 2011-12-18, 20:35   Link #59
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

^^^

It can't be helped. :P
Old 2011-12-18, 20:49   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Oh boy, here we go. First people complain about how they don't want to see the AGE Builder being used to solve every problem, and now someone is complaining it's not being used enough?
Gotta complain about something, this is a Gundam show after all.

Personally I've always found it highly amusing when the fandom contradicts itself like this though. The rush to find faults is so overwhelming with some that this actually happens quite often where you get what amounts to two way bitching. For example I remember when 00 Second Season (the worst show ever made while it was airing apparently) was airing there was this one blogger I used to argue with a lot called Crusader and during the beginning of the season he insisted that the show wouldn't be so apparently terrible if they'd just show why exactly the A-LAWS should be considered a threat and why Celestial Being should be portrayed as having the high ground. Then when they were revealed to be the AU's version of the Titans he immediately switched gears and insisted that the show was apparently terrible because the villains were "cartoon evil" and thus too much of a foil for Celestial Being. I called him out on this and he really didn't seem to have an answer other than to put words in my mouth and well...the rest is history, but the point is that it's not like contradicting oneself is going to stand in the way of people finding something to take umbrage with about whatever Gundam work is airing.

Also I count that the AGE system has been used 4 times by now, which seems like a pretty reasonable balance to me, but of course you know that if it were to have been used every episode or something it would result in a shitstorm as well. Just another example of damned if you do damned if you don't when it comes to Gundam. Also if it were used to give all the Genoaces weapons that could defeat the UE you can be damn sure you'd have dozens of angry fanboys screaming "HAX!" all over the internet. As Realist Classic says, really can't be helped with this fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy
Every female cyber/Newtype dies in Gundam.
Errr...Louise Halevy was kind of the Cyber/Newtype of 00 and she didn't die even though she was marked for death pretty close to the final arc. Also there was Soma Peries who got to do what most female newtype pilots on the opposing side can only dream and switch sides to be with her beau. Not calling this a trendsetter, but it's a definite counterexample.

Also there's Sayla, Berah Ronah, Shakti Kareen and Tiffa Adill who all can be described as female newtypes of their series and none of them died, so it's probably more like a 50/50 thing. It's kind of like the female equivalent of a sempai character, you kind of expect them to die, but sometimes they don't.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion