AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-02, 17:47   Link #901
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Well I liked Rahxephon the Movie more than the series.
Saikano was a bit drawn out.
Lain was too creepy for me.

Elfen lied was a good balance of Horror / Harem / Comedy / Drama.

That's why it's good.

BTW By the End of Evangelion I wanted to STRANGLE Shiki. He was just such a wuss.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 01:41   Link #902
USCPharmacist

NO NO NO!
SHIKI is the pimp that scored with the ultimate Shinso, immortal "nun", his thiefling sister, and the sex healer maids. Not to mention Satsuki the "Drying" apostle, and Sion the "hat"

Shiki is THE PIMP!!!!!! HE CAN ERASE YOUR EXISTENT WITH HIS FINGER!!!

Shinji on the other hand, only scored with his left hand!!!
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 02:13   Link #903
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
NO NO NO!
SHIKI is the pimp that scored with the ultimate Shinso, immortal "nun", his thiefling sister, and the sex healer maids. Not to mention Satsuki the "Drying" apostle, and Sion the "hat"

LOL so true so true. Shiki is on my top "to hate" list, Shinji is far behind

the anime Kouta is chasing right behind (and may have surpassed) Shinji now... the manga Kouta so far still unclear, but he may be on my "to like" list...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 02:14   Link #904
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Alternate universe Shinji was cool as shit.
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 03:15   Link #905
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
NO NO NO!

What had you been smoking, buddy. And why aren't you sharing then

I finally have time to finish the last two eps., and I must say I am happy for the ending (even though from a literary PoV this kind of ending is the worst kind...) .

Anyhow when I watched the series I remembered a few references I read long time ago

1. The last line of the op "Oh Lily of Purity". Lily is a "semi-fictional" person. She appeared in the bible once. For more information goes to this link

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mlilith.html

However if you are too lazy to read the whole thing, I can summerize the report for you.

Basiclly Lily (or Lilith), according to a (actually three) legend, is the first woman ever existed. She was created using the same material as Adams (you do know who he is, right?) and act as a companion to Adams. However, as she is created from the same material (dust) as Adams, she refuses to be lower class to Adams and becomes rebelious towards him. She left the garden with God's angels in pursuit. She then swore to never never to fall in love with a man. She turns into a demon, and starts to appear in man's dream to cause wet dream (and collect the seman as they are supposingly symbolize life " seman = white = life while blood = red = death"). God then creates another woman for the fussy Adams. However, God used one of Adams' rib bone to create Eve, so that she can't claim she is Adams' equal. :|

As Lily, being the first woman, yet never been touched by man before. She is supposingly the only "pure woman".

2. As for the name, like someone had said, it was a metaphor to a old German folk song.

Also here is my highly speculative hypothesis.

The vectors comes from the "smaller brain". Yet they need the horns to function. Thats why when the horn was broken the first time, Nyuu becomes unconscious. It would also explains why later when she was surrounded by SATs, she only used two vectors. She lost the other two when one of her horn broke.
Also the horn may behaves as some sort of fail-safe device. Nyuu should had died from Mariko's attack. But one of her horn broke off when she was almost dead. The first horn gave her back her life. The same thing happened when she was surronded by SAT. Her second horn broke, and she gets her last freebie.
Old 2004-11-03, 12:41   Link #906
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Doh I mean Shinji.

I was watching Tsukihime while typing this, and replace Shinji with Shiki. I liked Shiki in Tsukihime....damn.

And yeah Shinji couldn't score even if Asuka got naked and said 'Take me now!' Hehe.

That's what makes Elfen Lied so good. Good Script, VA,s and of course Hot Naked Psychic Girls.
Old 2004-11-03, 15:38   Link #907
TerryMathews

Just finished watching the anime - here's my thoughts on the ending...

Spoiler:
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 22:22   Link #908
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Regarding all issues discussed and criticized on Elfen Lied, three days ago I sought the opinion of experienced anime gurus. During my search, the name John Oppliger came to my mind.

He's the only anime guru that I'm awared and known of and in charge of the "Ask John Archives" section for Animenation.

The following is an objective evaluation regarding the contents of the show.

This was the question who he replied me back:
What are Johns' thoughts about Elfen Lied, and if it was a good bet for ADV to license this title?

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 15:35   Link #909
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Sounds like John read the Manga and was disappointed that the Anime didn't follow it exactly.
Old 2004-11-04, 19:07   Link #910
Thelastguardian

However he is pretty much right on the money. EL is very good for every department except character sketch.

Instead of understanding and comparing the characters' internal reaction when encounter an obstacle, we see how the characters react physically to a situation.

Yes this is inevitable when you only have 13 eps, but still; for a highly polish story, you just can't mess up like that. EL doesn't gives the viewer a sense of realisticity.
We can't compare our reaction to EL's characters' reaction. If we can't do that, there is no way we would believe the story is real (as real as it could allow).

Shame. The story has potential.
Old 2004-11-04, 21:04   Link #911
AnimeFangirl

John's article would have been plausible if only he'd taken out the "Fushigi Yuugi" bit. Character development in FY? What planet is he living on? Result: credibility of article shot to pieces. In fact, Saikano doesn't have that much character development either. I do have to give a tip of the hat to Berserk though (the manga anyway) for an excellent job on Guts and Griffith.

EDIT: No, Mr. Neutral-Rep-dude, it doesn't have much character development, except a little in the last episode. The only character I could really feel for was Mayu, and even that on a rather distant level. Even in those few cases where you would call it development, it was strange, bizarre and made no sense at all. E.g. ep 13
Spoiler:
Stuff like that dragged Elfen Lied down. Character development? PAH!
Old 2004-11-06, 16:28   Link #912
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
Kouta is no where near that forgiving in the manga... He possesses a glare of death of his own
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 19:10   Link #913
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Sounds like John read the Manga and was disappointed that the Anime didn't follow it exactly.
nah, I'm not John. I'm the who one has read the manga and is hugely disappointed that the Anime didn't follow it exactly I'd say this John person doesn't sound like he has read the manga, else he should be disappointed with the plot development instead of just the character development. This John sounds too positive in his thoughts about the anime, even in the character development part, to have read the manga
Old 2004-11-07, 02:08   Link #914
philupthetank86

Send a message via AIM to philupthetank86 Send a message via MSN to philupthetank86 Send a message via Yahoo to philupthetank86
ok,

after reading in this topic for a while. i've found out that the hard core fans of this series state that they enjoyed the manga better.

so im downloading the manga right now, the japanese version.

and i shall translate it as my little project.

if i ever see it at a convention i shall buy it.
philupthetank86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 13:22   Link #915
100demons
F-Bomb

You people have worked me into a frenzy. i have to see this now.
100demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 13:44   Link #916
AnimeFangirl

Ummm... the thought is appreciated, but it's already being scanslated by two different groups. Maybe you could do something else by the same author? I tried to get into the manga right after finishing the anime, but the spark just wasn't there. I'll just let a little time pass, let a few more volumes come out and then maybe it will be fresh again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philupthetank86
ok,

after reading in this topic for a while. i've found out that the hard core fans of this series state that they enjoyed the manga better.

so im downloading the manga right now, the japanese version.

and i shall translate it as my little project.

if i ever see it at a convention i shall buy it.
Old 2004-11-07, 14:57   Link #917
MiT

Can anyone tell me where to get the translated manga scans? I managed to get Vol 1 to 7 off Anime.fin, but was wondering if anyone got further.
MiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 16:22   Link #918
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

In response to MiT, just click on the following link below:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=24
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 23:43   Link #919
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
nah, I'm not John. I'm the who one has read the manga and is hugely disappointed that the Anime didn't follow it exactly I'd say this John person doesn't sound like he has read the manga, else he should be disappointed with the plot development instead of just the character development. This John sounds too positive in his thoughts about the anime, even in the character development part, to have read the manga
Didn't you read the manga after you watched the anime?

Anyways, I didn't find the ending all that unusual. I mean, I'd like to think I could forgive someone I loved of anything. It was touching. Don't think about it too much.
IntrepidAKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 00:07   Link #920
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Didn't you read the manga after you watched the anime?

Anyways, I didn't find the ending all that unusual. I mean, I'd like to think I could forgive someone I loved of anything. It was touching. Don't think about it too much.
I started to read the manga after watching the first couple episodes of the anime.

I actually kinda agree with that John guy, but the problem here is that it seems I actually think of the manga the same way as he think of the anime I think the manga is quite great, however I find it's still a bit lacking in that it's hard to really relate or feel for any of the characters, just as what that John guy thinks about the anime.

For the anime, well, IMO it doesn't fix anything in the manga, but breaks some more. Still not a bad anime I'd say, but I'd just love it a lot more if it can follow the manga plot development

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen