AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-08-16, 06:19   Link #2201
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
and so the premiership officially begins again for another year ><;;;;

Lots of London town matches today, i'm with these guys (arsenal) and wish them well for the new season to come ^^

Arsenal vs West Brom

Barclays Premier League
16th Aug 2008 KO 12:45
Ground: Emirates Stadium

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 07:31   Link #2202
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

First Arsenal Goal, First EPL2008/09 Goal ..

Good job Samir ^^v
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 11:48   Link #2203
alamarco
Why hello there!

Aw man, I slept in today and missed the game. I guess it's a good thing since Arsenal won. Nobody would want to see Arsenal win .
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 12:56   Link #2204
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Yup .. and best of all, Spuds lost.. haha 2-1 lost to middlebrough, even their only goal was an own goal

So much for their preseason bragging

Hull also won their first ever match in EPL.

I'm too sleepy to watch Pool's match =/
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-17, 03:49   Link #2205
alamarco
Why hello there!

I was disappointed with Spurs losing their first match. I want to see them do well, but I think the big transfer of Berbatrov to Man Utd. is causing some unrest. He played, but it has to be affecting the team knowing that it's almost certain he's gone.

I remember reading a report earlier that Spurs were going to bid for Villa, Silva and someone else. If they sell Berbatrov getting Villa would be a pretty good replacement. Hell Silva would be dynamite in the midfield, but replacing Berbatrov would be the better option.

Any predictions on the league finishing?

I predict:
- Man Utd.
- Liverpool
- Chelsea
- Tottenham

Might be a little biased with my hate towards Arsenal and Chelsea, but I definitely think Liverpool will have a good year. Signing Keane was a brilliant move as they now have a one-two punch instead of useless *couch* (aka Crouch).
Old 2008-08-17, 05:48   Link #2206
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Arsenal 1st. I dont really care about other, especially the other 3 and of course Spuds, make that especially Spuds

Oh, and Portmouth in Euro again next year
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-17, 14:40   Link #2207
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Arsenal 1st. I dont really care about other, especially the other 3 and of course Spuds, make that especially Spuds

Oh, and Portmouth in Euro again next year
Arsenal are too young and inexeperienced too win it. Too many youngsters. I don't think they'll win it. They will eventually.....because they have far too many talented players not too win.

Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Tottenham

Are the top 5 in my opinion.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 22:50   Link #2208
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Yes.

Please.

Underestimated us again.. like last year! Good to reduce pressures on our youngsters!

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-17, 23:02   Link #2209
alamarco
Why hello there!

Arsenal has a lot of young players, but I don't think they can keep them all. Hleb and Flaminy have already left. Fabragas (spelling) seems to have intentions of going back to Barca. Adebayor shown he isn't really loyal to Arsenal.

Shame it's the norm now a days. Players seem to be less and less loyal to clubs. C. Ronaldo was basically trying to worm his way to Madrid the whole summer.
Old 2008-08-18, 04:39   Link #2210
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Yes.

Please.

Underestimated us again.. like last year! Good to reduce pressures on our youngsters!

I'm not underestimating them. But it is a fact. They need a couple of experienced players.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 04:55   Link #2211
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

So just out of curiousity:

I'm just wondering where and how everyone watches these matches. I just recently got a subscription to FSC (Fox Soccer Channel), thinking it would be the best place to catch football matches, but everything they show seems to have taken place anywhere from three months to one year ago. Also, they don't tend to show any matches that don't involve ManU or Arsenal. I try to watch on FSN (Fox Sports Network) whenever there's a match on, but it's much the same; it's either ManU or Arsenal, no other teams are represented.

I was wondering how people on these forums watch these matches? Are there other television channels that I can subscribe to in order to catch matches involving different teams? Are most of the regular posters here from Europe?

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2008-08-18, 05:08   Link #2212
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I watched them on online stream
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-18, 10:07   Link #2213
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

*Random Rant*

Meh, I like Liverpool but I got issues with Benitez (I don't dislike him that nuch though...I hate Arragones more than any coach in the world right now )...they needed a new playmaker..Gerrard alone isn't enough anymore...If Torres had more service he'd have scored even more...and last season look at how many goals Torres scored and they still barely got 4th. If Benitez wasn't so spanish-player oriented I think he would've been in a better position. Luis Garcia played well for like a season 1/2, and then down the drain.I only hope Robbie Keane fills the void.

I think they should get in the habit or trying to lure dissatisfied players from Chelsea...so many great players not getting a run.

@ Quzor: I use TvuPlayer
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 11:22   Link #2214
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Yup.. warm Pool's bench after done warming Chelsea's bench
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-18, 11:54   Link #2215
alamarco
Why hello there!

Setanta Sports has most of EPL games playing. I think they show the most for Canadian/American carriers. It's $14.99 a month, but if you love soccer it's worth it.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:22   Link #2216
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Setanta Sports has most of EPL games playing. I think they show the most for Canadian/American carriers. It's $14.99 a month, but if you love soccer it's worth it.
bahaha! I watch it free online! But I guess paying means HD quality...hmmm

Quote:
Yup.. warm Pool's bench after done warming Chelsea's bench
Not necessarily. Some of Chelsea's players that smack the pine would get start/regular play for Pool. E.g Pizarro, who's back on loan to Werder Bremen. The irony, he just came from Germany and they still have strikers to spare. Only because of injuries are they kinda in a tough spot. The only team with more world-class strikers than Chelsea is Inter Milan. Torres needs a partner.

On another note, I hope the Premier League is going to be challenging aside from exciting....recently it's been the Man U and Chelsea show, featuring others. The league is still breathtaking, but I want to see the big dogs under serious pressure.
Old 2008-08-19, 00:30   Link #2217
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Shame it's the norm now a days. Players seem to be less and less loyal to clubs. C. Ronaldo was basically trying to worm his way to Madrid the whole summer.
That's how football is nowadays. I, as Juve supporter, am proud of the veterans (Del Piero, Nedved, Trezeguet, Buffon, Camoranesi, etc) we have who decided to stick with the team even when we faced penalitazion/relegation to Serie B. They could have easily left the team like others did, but they decided to stay, because they're attached to the black and white shirt, and they're attached to us fans (and that's why we love them and respect them). I also recognize though that Juve's case is almost an exception these days, as you pointed out most of the players feel like mercenaries, they consider clubs like clothes they can change or trash aside when they grow bored of, which is not exactly an honourable thing, in my opinion. I think this is one of the side effects of having so many foreigners mixed together, which causes a lot of teams to lack a true identity/core.

@Quzor
I watch them on my TV, since we have Sky (both at parents' home and at my university dorm), which broadcasts all the games from Serie A, and the most important games from the other leagues, EPL included.

On some unrelated bad news, Chiellini got injuried Sunday night in the friendly match versus Milan. Man this crap is happening every year, everytime they face us for this friendly game they keep injurying some of our key players without much regret. Last years they managed to injury Buffon, now it's Chiellini's turn. Blah. I wonder why certain teams need to play dirty even when it's a freaking friendly match. Anyway, Chiellini's going to be absent for atleast a month, our defence is not going to look that good since Legrottaglie and Mellberg haven't still played a lot together and they don't exactly give me that much confidence. Our management should try signing one more good central defender.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 00:37   Link #2218
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I really wished there are more Totti like player around.. Didnt he accept wage reduction just so he can stay and play in Roma?

I forgot the name the one guy, also an Italian player. Really respected those type. loyal to their clubs.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-08-19, 00:51   Link #2219
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

A wage reduction? You're talking about a Roma player? I only recall Totti but that's it. As for the Juve veterans, their salaries got reduced or got "freezed" during these two years since the club had to recover from the financial blow it received after Calciopoli. An other player I respect, despite being an Inter Milan player, is Javier Zanetti. He's probably the only one in that club who really is attached to the shirt, he's been with them for like ten years? He's been there almost as long as Del Piero sticked with us at Juve, you could say that he's like Inter's banner just like Del Piero is to us, or like Giggs is to Man U, Maldini to Milan, Raul to Real Madrid, etc.

As a neutral fan watching EPL, I think that Arsenal, Pool, Chelsea and other EPL teams could potentially build a core of "loyal" players. I don't know if it's about money, but people like Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard and so on should stick around with their clubs for most of their career, to try achieving something with their respective teams and also help them build a true identity as well. When there's a core of loyal players in a team it's also easy for newcomers to integrate well and feel more like a "family" rather than a bunch of mercs.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 06:38   Link #2220
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
As a neutral fan watching EPL, I think that Arsenal, Pool, Chelsea and other EPL teams could potentially build a core of "loyal" players. I don't know if it's about money, but people like Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard and so on should stick around with their clubs for most of their career, to try achieving something with their respective teams and also help them build a true identity as well. When there's a core of loyal players in a team it's also easy for newcomers to integrate well and feel more like a "family" rather than a bunch of mercs.
Potentially is a very operative word. Chelsea will have the hardest time since they just bought everyone good at the time in sight. They loaned out Pizarro. Bought him year before, give him a little play and then loan him? They are not that different from REal (omg i feel dirty typing the name) in that respect in terms of undervaluing their players. I acknowledge he needs play to stay in form so that's why you loaned him, but wih all these injuries why did you do it in the 1st place? *end rant*

Tags
football, soccer