AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Episode 37 Rating
Perfect 10 208 44.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 16.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 11.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 9 1.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 39 8.30%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-28, 19:10   Link #481
BlankCanvas
Anime Noob

This last episode was pretty awesome, in my opinion. While I wouldn't give it a perfect 10/10, it was still a very good end to the show.
Spoiler:
Overall, great show, and awesome ending.

Last edited by BlankCanvas; 2010-06-28 at 19:12. Reason: Forgot to Put Spoilers
Old 2010-06-29, 02:58   Link #482
Zero12591

Lightbulb I just realized something.

I'm not sure if you guys already know this. Remember the part when Light suggests that both of the notebooks are fake? He's definitely bluffing! One of them has to be real, because, if it wasn't real, Near wouldn't have been able to see Ryuk.
Old 2010-07-04, 02:50   Link #483
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I just finished watching the anime. I'm glad I kept on watching even though I was losing interest on the show after L died.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-08-02, 16:58   Link #484
L.L.R
Apple Vendor

I was sad when it ended, especially the WAY it ended. Although I didn't support Kira, it was tragic the way Light had corrupted himself and the way his life progressed, turning him more and more into someone so corroded.
Old 2010-09-20, 15:44   Link #485
nekogirl9
Domonation

i SO did not like the ending, i did not want it to end is probably the reason why but i wish it was the other way around..

Light was my favourite.
Old 2010-09-27, 17:02   Link #486
legonut3
I BELIEVE IN HERVEY DENT!

I thought the end was good, with everyone going crazy when discovering who Kira is.
Spoiler for Kira's Death:

Do you stain you hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to the evil? - Code Geass
Old 2010-09-30, 08:40   Link #487
L_Yagami

I know that this thread was opened three years ago but I must write my thoughts down. Last year, a friend of mine lent me all his Death Note mangas. I read them and was touched by the story in a way I haven’t been by any other manga or animé. You have already discussed whether Light was right or wrong, whether his motives where noble or not, which is why I don’t want to discuss that again. I just have to say that I like the character Light Yagami who wanted to make the world a better place, no matter whether he succeeded or whether his means where evil ones.

What do I think about the different endings of the manga, the animé and the life-action film? The manga ending was unbelievably hard to accept for someone who likes Light. The fact that Ryuk actually seems to not regard Light as a friend despite their time spent together, and Light’s pain and begging were, well, I can’t say. On the one side, the ending fits the dark image the entire series has, on the other side, it destroys Light completely (which obviously was the author’s intention). The animé ending however is much better in my opinion as the whole begging part was cut, and Ryuk wasn’t shown as the merciless bastard he is in the manga. Instead, he feels sorry for Light in a certain way. In the film version, Ryuk is portrayed more like in the manga but Misa-Misa and Light’s father who hasn’t died are present which makes it easier to accept Light’s death as two people who love him are at the scenery. The fact that L was there as well, and not Near, is also a positive point I have to mention.

Why I am writing this now? Because I watched the film yesterday, and it brought back all my feelings. After reading the manga, I was depressed for one week. I have to write this down.

I also have to mention this: the hardest fact I and a lot of Death Note fans have to cope with is the absence of an afterlife. I mean, I am not talking about the real life but about a fictional universe where Shinigami, their realm and death notes exist. So it would also have been possible to say that people in this Death Note universe have souls and continue to exist after death. This would have made it much easier to accept Light’s and L’s deaths. Unfortunately, the author decided that the readers shall not have an easy time by clearly stating that there is no afterlife in the Death Note universe, meaning that Light and L simply have ceased to exist. THIS surely is the hardest fact to accept.
Old 2010-10-01, 04:11   Link #488
SakuraxHoney

I really enjoyed the ending. I kinda liked and hated Light at the same time (most of the hate was for killing L, most of the 'like' was because he was so intelligent and calm) so part of me wanted to see him be exposed but the other part wanted him to succeed. As I watched Death Note, I had a feeling Light would die, but watching the finale made me feel a bit sorry for him because all those six years of trying to achieve something had gone to waste and that he had lost touch of who he was along the way. I especially enjoyed him going totally psycho when he realised he'd lost, it was so unlike him.
Old 2010-11-18, 17:38   Link #489
CigsAreMyApples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Spoiler:
yes from the first episode we know how it's going to end...
but that's what it's all about right? the end is certain.
Old 2010-11-21, 01:27   Link #490
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate T Harlaown View Post
I just finished watching the anime. I'm glad I kept on watching even though I was losing interest on the show after L died.
Yah, I hoped in the beginning that L wouldn't die....
Old 2010-11-23, 20:17   Link #491
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Yah, I hoped in the beginning that L wouldn't die....
Truth be said, L would have made an interesting character if he dint die.. R.I.P L
Old 2010-12-25, 20:35   Link #492
xtrablu
Black Knight

While I often hate where endings go like they are foretold to be in the beginning of an anime series, I'd say Death Note is in exception. (Ok, it wasn't like Ryuk said it was gonna happen for sure in the near future, but still :P)

I found the ending fitting not because Light was "evil", but rather cus an ending where he won would feel kinda boring - because it's too typical the hero (well, arguably in this case) wins, imo.

The ending is part of what makes Death Note special - compared to other big shonen animes - in two particular ways:

1. The (anti)hero does not win
2. The ending comes fast (makes the story stay on topic and go fast - which imo is great in Death Note's case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Truth be said, L would have made an interesting character if he dint die.. R.I.P L
Seconded. I would've liked to see some more of his childhood, or what made L the one he was. Rest In Peace, sweets-loving mastermind
Old 2011-01-15, 00:05   Link #493
HelixFC3S

I have rewatched this series so many times by now, and the last episode always gets to me. It is mainly because of how sad Light's death is to me, from the part when he begins to run along the fence-side and there are brief glimpses of his past shown. That part always stuck with me from the pure fact of how successful and impressionable he was. He was truly a one-in-a-kind guy with his intelligence. He had a bright future ahead of him, and his life went to hell after finding that Death Note. When he finally passed by his younger self before having the Death Note, I thought—I don't know how to quite describe it—it was very poetic. Am I the only one that felt choked up about that scene?

Last edited by HelixFC3S; 2011-01-15 at 00:28.
Old 2011-01-15, 19:04   Link #494
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixFC3S View Post
I have rewatched this series so many times by now, and the last episode always gets to me. It is mainly because of how sad Light's death is to me, from the part when he begins to run along the fence-side and there are brief glimpses of his past shown. That part always stuck with me from the pure fact of how successful and impressionable he was. He was truly a one-in-a-kind guy with his intelligence. He had a bright future ahead of him, and his life went to hell after finding that Death Note. When he finally passed by his younger self before having the Death Note, I thought—I don't know how to quite describe it—it was very poetic. Am I the only one that felt choked up about that scene?
You were not the only one who had a few tears watching the last few scenes.
Old 2011-01-16, 02:06   Link #495
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

It's so sad... the background music still gets on me...
Although Light only said the psycho killer words after realize he failed. On the run at the sunset, you can feel which he is thinking. Since the moment he got the Death Note it possesed and ruined his life, he was a good person and only wanted to help desesperately, but the only "help" that he got was a tool to kill that converted him in an assasin. I may be the only person that thinks in that way, but I think that Light was a good person in all its means and the DN was the one that made him evil.
Old 2011-01-16, 14:15   Link #496
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
I love that ending. Even though she was introduced, she was a happy person with a sad background. I love that she actually survived. It was sad that he died, but you know, no matter how friendly he was presented to us and no matter how noble his means were, he was meant to die. Ever since he had decided to kill everyone who would oppose him, he had been doomed. I also like L. He was actually a nice person, weird, but also pretty likable. He was actually pretty funny and serious at the same time. His death came sudden. I was really surprised.

SkyFlames, the DN did not make him evil. A common proverb is that you learn about a person's true character when you give him power. Many people who are sneaks and actually submissive just act that way in order to survive as part of our society. In fact, we're all just animals, mammals. We get power and in the beginning we think that we can use it for the good, but at length that power changes us and we use it for our own means. We get corrupted by our own desires and emotions, not by the power itself.
Old 2011-01-16, 15:37   Link #497
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraFlash View Post
SkyFlames, the DN did not make him evil. A common proverb is that you learn about a person's true character when you give him power. Many people who are sneaks and actually submissive just act that way in order to survive as part of our society. In fact, we're all just animals, mammals. We get power and in the beginning we think that we can use it for the good, but at length that power changes us and we use it for our own means. We get corrupted by our own desires and emotions, not by the power itself.
If you take a look to the times when Light didn't got the Death Note and was working along with Elle, he actually acted like a good person, he didn't port a gun even when he was allowed to and started to get worry about Misa. He was a good person, which I'm saying is that Light was a young guy that didn't know anything about life even when he was so smart, there isthings that you learn for experience and not on books, if he would never have found the DN, he would had live a normal life, he would have become a good person following the steps of his father.
Anyways, it's just my opinion.
Old 2011-02-26, 10:35   Link #498
Erasus

Just finished watching this for the first time. Amazing ending to the best anime I have ever seen.
Old 2011-12-13, 16:58   Link #499
KuroAshiSanji

Sadly it won't continue, but since it ended like it did, it preserved it as it was, before it declined, as all shows do
Closed Thread