AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-24, 13:12   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Reideen

With 2007, being 'the year of the mecha', REIDEEN is Production I.G's entry into the foray with a 're-birth' of Tomino's classic 1975 series Yuusha Reideen.

Cast:
Masataka Azuma as Junki Saiga
Saeko Chiba as Akira Midorino
Shinichiro Miki as Taro Maedasaki
Takako Honda as Hana Hoshikawa

Staff:
Director - Mitsuru Hongo (IGPX)
Character Design - Takuya Saito (IGPX)
Mechanical Design - Atsushi Takeuchi (IGPX, Innocence), Shinji Aramaki (Fullmetal Alchemist, Appleseed)
Music - Yoshihiro Ike (Ergo Proxy, Blood the Last Vampire)

Broadcast: March 3rd 2007 on WOWOW
First Trailer: here
Official site: http://www.reideen.jp/

Blurb (from Animenfo):
Spoiler for saving space:

Thoughts based on the trailer:
The CG mecha is rather reminiscent of IGPX (understandably) but Reideen itself, funky bow intact in all it's glory, is rather impressive. I rather like the character designs too, thankfully they seem quite mature. Seems Production I.G is aiming for an older audience than IGPX too. Interesting music and the vocals in the trailer, very atmospheric. This is one of 2007's numerous mecha shows that I'm really looking forward to (along with Gurren Lagann and the VOTOMs remake) .

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-12-29 at 11:07. Reason: added air date
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 14:55   Link #2
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

I really hope they put this in the prime time slot and go whole-hog on HD/5.1 - would be awesome.
Old 2006-11-24, 15:12   Link #3
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

The trailer doesn't actually work...on a sidenote.

Thats no Reideen boy....no Reideen...
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 07:21   Link #4
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I think there's a problem with audio the 120s trailer that crashes Quicktime. However if you view it in MPC or Zoomplayer (assuming you have Quicktime Alternative installed) it works fine.

Grv, WOWOW broadcasts Chevalier in HV, so fingers crossed.
Old 2006-11-27, 22:11   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EVvpXHhkU

The trailer in YouTube.

The use of CG even in the characters looked somewhat convoluted... They're probably going to go for fluctuation between cell-animation and CG for certain situations like character and eye close-ups. The feel of the whole trailer, music, atmosphere and what-not seems to be going for the whole hybrid-mystical mecha ala Rahxephon and Eva closer than the original blue-and-red bird's original... The gold CG REIDEEN looks sleek...but I'm not sure I like it, considering how far off it is with the original Yuusha Reideen, only the bow withstanding.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 01:28   Link #6
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Wow.......I'm getting some Rahxephon vibes from this series.....probably because the original was Rahxephon's main inspiration.

Anyway, I thought the original Reideen was a little cheesy, but this new one just looks really awesome.
Darkman.exe213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 10:58   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Some news - according to the website Reideen will officially start on March 3rd 2007 but the first ep will be previewed a month earlier on February 4th 2007 on WOWOW and hopefully in drool inducing HV.
Old 2006-12-30, 05:25   Link #8
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Some news - according to the website Reideen will officially start on March 3rd 2007 but the first ep will be previewed a month earlier on February 4th 2007 on WOWOW and hopefully in drool inducing HV.
I hate it when the first episode of an interesting serie gets aired so early, because if it happens to be extremely good it makes me wait and crave for the following episodes even more.

Honestly said, I generally do not like CG mecha in anime shows (with very few exceptions), but I have faith in Production I.G and in the team that is going to work on this. The trailer looked nice enough to make me really interested in this and yes, as you guys said it does resemble Rahxephon (which was inspiried from the original Raideen itself ).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 17:30   Link #9
BluWacky
尻の竜

You know, I've always wondered what that stopwatch shot at the start of the RahXephon OP was for. Now I know!

I'm tentatively looking forward to this one; unlike Giant Robo, this looks like a pretty interesting remake. Hopefully IG will put a bit of money into it.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 21:09   Link #10
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This reminds me of Ghost in the Shell ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 00:48   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Rahxephon is essentially Raideen, with the Mu empire story, the way its piloted right down to the attacks it uses.

-Raideen was built by the Mu empire similiar to how Rahxephon was built by the Mu.
-Raideen sucks the pilot inside of it much like how Rahxephon does.
-Raideen uses a bow and arrow attack called the God Gorgon and Rahxephon uses a similar attack.
-Raideen has an attack called God Voice which is its most deadly attack and so does Rahxephon.
-One episode of Rahxephon even mimics how Akira calls for Reideen to come to him.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 01:20   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Production I. G. is pretty good with their productions, so I'm expecting something delicious from them.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 13:54   Link #13
BluWacky
尻の竜

Looks like WOWOW's doing their usual preview broadcast thing for Reideen's first episode; 4th February is the date, so that's just under three weeks away.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 15:13   Link #14
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Yep, I'm really looking forward to the preview. But like Shinndou said it'll probably be incredibly awesome and then it'll be total agony waiting for a month until ep 2. Still I'll definately catch the raw of the preview...
Old 2007-01-15, 19:01   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oooh im getting slight Demonbane vibes from this trailer and it looks pretty much *roar* ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 08:58   Link #16
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

The first episode of Reideen is now online, for FREE. Click the red arrow at the bottom of the page, no registration required but you do need Windows Media Player for the DRM.

I'm downloading it atm, I'll post some thoughts/screenshots in a while...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-30 at 09:13.
Old 2007-01-30, 09:29   Link #17
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Once it's downloaded, please do mention of WMP 11 is needed. If not, then I can do so as well...because my PC/laptop hates WMP 11 with a passion.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 09:43   Link #18
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I have WMP 10 and it works okay for me.

Here's the direct link to the stream (83mb). If you want to save it to your hard drive, you'll need a download manager (like Flashget), that can handle mms:// streams.

EDIT: Well this is a promising start. Reideen looks great and the production values are very high...

Spoiler for Ep 1 thoughts and screenshots...:

Remember that this preview of ep 1 also airs on WOWOW on Sunday (hopefully in HD). It should afford a closer look at the pretty animation and CG.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-30 at 12:24.
Old 2007-01-30, 12:57   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Shin-Getter should be releasing part of the original Raideen soon.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 13:00   Link #20
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I'll have to wait till Sunday then, becayse my dorm's firewall blocks any video files/stream on my browser and I can't really the first episode online. :[
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote