Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-02, 19:22   Link #24921
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not fond of naming the ships after human beings. I wish they'd go back to the sailing ship era names - Intrepid, Enterprise, Constitution, etc.
I second that decision, especially for all the political debate about naming.
Old 2012-12-02, 20:18   Link #24922
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Paris activist to test taboos with gay-friendly mosque
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AS0WT20121129
Old 2012-12-02, 20:19   Link #24923
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Naming can be confusing. I like the numbering scheme that is used for our submarines. Its so easy to remember the names:

U-1 to U-12 (Type 205)
U-13 to U-30 (Type 206)
U-31 to U-36 (Type 212)

Its so simple that even I can memorize it.
Old 2012-12-02, 20:26   Link #24924
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have never been happy that we named an aircraft carrier after the ardent segregationist John Stennis. The Navy loved him because, as Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, he was happy to give the military everything they asked for.

On a related note, I watched Rachel Maddow interview ABC's White House Correspondent Jake Tapper the other night about his new book documenting the history of an American outpost in Afghanistan (starts around 6:00 into the clip). The Army has taken to naming outposts there after well-known soldiers like Pat Tillman. Tapper argues plausibly that naming outposts like this invests them with more significance than they deserve and makes it harder to give them up even if the military circumstances would so dictate.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-12-02 at 20:40.
Old 2012-12-02, 20:51   Link #24925
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Major ship naming tends to be political to get funding. Especially from states that don't have Naval stations or industry that support the construction of such vessels (being it the hulls or the electronics).

In old times it was state names that got the committee names for expensive battleships. Usually states that did not have naval connections, or the second ship would have a landlocked state name to get approval.

State names are now on Ballistic Missile Submarines for the most part.

Carriers are really expensive. The last Carrier not named after a person was the USS America (CV-66). The first Supercarrier was to be named USS United States (CV-58) to get it approved. It was cancelled to make a strategic bomber fleet, but followed soon after by USS Forrestal (CV-59). The carriers since have been a mix of people and historical ship names that were nat reused in the previous Essex-class carriers during the war (named after ships that survived the war, or other famous ships).

The mix was odd at times.
Forrestal
Saratoga
Ranger
Independance
Kitty Hawk
Constellation
Enterprise
America
John F. Kennedy
Old 2012-12-02, 21:04   Link #24926
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Forrestal was a famous, though controversial, Secretary of the Navy during the last years of World War II and became the first Secretary of Defense in 1947. Naming a ship after him makes a lot more sense to me than naming one after Stennis no matter how lavishly the latter spent our tax dollars on the military.
Old 2012-12-02, 21:32   Link #24927
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugia498 View Post
úp ph? nè .................................................. .......................................
Speak English.
Old 2012-12-02, 21:54   Link #24928
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Forrestal is odd and controversal.

Ranger, Saratoga, and Independence are names of carriers that survived the war but has since been decommissioned. (Independence having been the name of the class ship for the United States main Light Carrier class, while Ranger and Saratoga were two of the three pre-war surviving carrier. The third being Enterprise, which was still on the Navy List at that time.)

Kitty Hawk of course was the sight of the first flight of the Wright Brothers in 1903. Had the US carrier naming policy been maintained from 1920, the early carriers would have been named after famous aviation pioneers and places involved with aviation at the start of the century. USS Langley (CV-1) is an example of the original naming system.

Constellation was a famous warship from the war of 1812, and had been one of the names intended for the class of battlecruisers that were cancelled in 1922 but two converted to the first large fleet carrier in the US Navy (Lexington and Saratoga). This was also were the naming practise changed to famous battles or ships in US history (since we didn't plan on making any battlecruisers anymore and never even completed one. The Alaska-class Large Cruisers were named after US Territories instead).

Enterprise was of course the third and most famous of the pre-World War II built surviving carriers.

America is reasonable as a name. Fits with the cancelled USS United States.

The JFK was named right after the assassination of the President...I imagine it was politically plus emotionally motivated. All carriers after that have been named after people until the just suggested CVN-80 USS Enterprise, which by this point in history is probably the most famous ship name on the planet that isn't involved in a disaster.
Old 2012-12-02, 22:45   Link #24929
PzIVf3

Clinton Reveals China to Territorial Rights in China

On November 29, it was revealed that US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stated in a question and answer session at a speech she gave in Washington, that when the US had consulted with China about the past problems of territoriality in the South China Sea, the Chinese side had said that they could also ‘insist on (territorial rights to) Hawai’i’. To which Clinton replied, ‘Well, you’re welcome to try. Territorial rights will be settled through arbitration institutions. That is precisely the action that we want you to take’.

She did not mention the time of the consultation or the specific details, but it is possible that it was an exchange that happened around the time of the East Asian Summit on November 20.

http://www.japancrush.com/2012/stori...in-hawaii.html

There outta of their minds. I think there are aliens in disguise taking over our planet.
Old 2012-12-02, 23:23   Link #24930
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
There outta of their minds. I think there are aliens in disguise taking over our planet.
Either they are really out of their minds as you said, or they are trying to force the USA to inplicate themself more into this dispute, which is aso crazy.
Old 2012-12-03, 00:14   Link #24931
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Either they are really out of their minds as you said, or they are trying to force the USA to inplicate themself more into this dispute, which is aso crazy.
I'm more concerned recently having noticed who they appointed to the standing committee of the politburo. Only time will tell though..

Reply hazy, ask again later
Old 2012-12-03, 00:18   Link #24932
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Clinton Reveals China to Territorial Rights in China
Are there any other sources for this ridiculous story other than a site whose journalistic credentials are, shall we say, less than persuasive?
Old 2012-12-03, 01:20   Link #24933
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are there any other sources for this ridiculous story other than a site whose journalistic credentials are, shall we say, less than persuasive?
You're being kind ... I think World Weekly News has more credibility substance than this site after browsing it. o.O
Old 2012-12-03, 09:18   Link #24934
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Can you imagine being stuck in a 125-mile-long traffic jam?
Old 2012-12-03, 09:31   Link #24935
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
A traffic jam is a trap, it is either you get trapped by one, or you become one of the cars that trap someone else.

Therefore in Russia, you trap a traffic jam!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-03, 09:44   Link #24936
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No. 没有。None exist. 不存在。

The closest I could find was a mention in August that a Chinese patrol vessel was sailing to Hawaii for joint exercises with the United States Coast Guard.
Old 2012-12-03, 12:59   Link #24937
Tom Bombadil

Well, this is interesting.

Indian navy prepared to deploy to South China Sea
Old 2012-12-03, 13:10   Link #24938
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
The Indian navy do have operational carriers ,right ?
Old 2012-12-03, 13:22   Link #24939
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The Indian navy do have operational carriers ,right ?
Yes they do, a relic from way back with a few harriers. They have one in construction and one ordered from Russia. The one from Russia is similar to the Chinese one. Unfortunately, theirs had a huge trouble in sea trial and the delivery time is postponed for at least one year, if not more. I don't expect their own one can be in service any time soon either.

----------------------------------

Grrr, hot linking image failed again. Too much a bother to download it then upload it to anther place.
Old 2012-12-03, 17:16   Link #24940
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A interesting reading: As Companies Seek Tax Deals, Governments Pay High Price
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us...ions.html?_r=0

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international