AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-06, 09:28   Link #61
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
The area in the second pic looks like it's in left side of town, seems a little dingy. I guess any town will have slums and lower income areas. I agree it's very well-drawn, it looks like parts of Taiwan I've been to.
I do hate how the slums are always rainy in anime.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 09:38   Link #62
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

This is the title from the April wave that has me the most exicted by far. Gonzo have not failed previously when creating something involving the epic talent of Range Murata. Please, please be made of win!

Have to say one of those females looks almsot the same as Lavie from Last Exile, who I utterly loved. Is this intentional, because in most of his works, there's always a girl/woman that looks virtually the same as Lavie. Not that I'm complaining though. That cover of ROBOT issue 1 is just pure divinity.
Old 2009-03-06, 09:49   Link #63
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
Not sure. My first guess is watchtowers. I'd have to say that my favorite is the pic in the second link. I love rainy days in both art and reality.
Strangely, the heavy fortifications and the layout of the town always reminds me of protected cities like Konoha and Tokyo-3.

As for the towers, given that this is far off into the middle of this century, they could also serve as communication towers, passive sensor arrays, force shield emitters, ventilation shafts, or laser cannon turrets.
Old 2009-03-06, 14:48   Link #64
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Perhaps they're trash/compost silos, since there's forest all around?
Give back to the Earth, or she will take it from you!
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 04:40   Link #65
Same_Shark

Quote:
^ Perhaps they're trash/compost silos, since there's forest all around?
Give back to the Earth, or she will take it from you!
Never thought of that one. Interesting. What made you think of that?
Old 2009-03-07, 13:46   Link #66
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Well, considering the city is surrounded by a forest of massive proportions, ostensibly due to global warming, I think it's safe to say that the biosphere is growing in a more or less hostile manner if they had to build that wall to protect themselves.
Old 2009-03-07, 14:29   Link #67
Same_Shark

Quote:
^ Well, considering the city is surrounded by a forest of massive proportions, ostensibly due to global warming, I think it's safe to say that the biosphere is growing in a more or less hostile manner if they had to build that wall to protect themselves.
I see your point. I hope that isn't the Tokyo that the story refers to. If it is, it's not as awe-inspiring as I thought it'd be.
Old 2009-03-08, 16:16   Link #68
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
I believe it's not just a wall, but that the entire city is raised above a massive rainforest canopy against a constantly sinking foundation (the latter part I saw mentioned in the website). It'd explain the Tower of Babel reference on the novel cover.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 08:46   Link #69
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I believe it's not just a wall, but that the entire city is raised above a massive rainforest canopy against a constantly sinking foundation (the latter part I saw mentioned in the website). It'd explain the Tower of Babel reference on the novel cover.

That massive wall could also be a flood barrier for when the water level rises. It's more sloped on the lake side than the forest side. That city could be smack in the middle of a flood plain. Saw those type of barriers on the East Coast near the Susquehana River.

Also, other hostile humans could attribute to having a huge barrier. But I think that it is a flood barrier.

I don't think those colored towers are watch towers. They're in the wrong location (clustered in the middle of the city instead of on the wall). Also, there is a lack of towers at the distal end of the city. Maybe storage units for grain, fresh water, communications equipment or some other expensive substance since it looks to be in the middle of expensive areas of the city (less congested from the aerial view) and the towers are decorated.

Last edited by orion; 2009-03-09 at 09:05.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 13:54   Link #70
kyouray
2D > 3D

New illustration from Murata on the blog (thanks to AnimeWatcher for the link).
The show'll have an online preview for 500 guests on March 10.
Old 2009-03-09, 14:38   Link #71
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
New illustration from Murata on the blog (thanks to AnimeWatcher for the link).
Darn. I want to see that, but I can't read Japanese. Nice pic though. The last Murata anime I saw was in Last Exile.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 15:05   Link #72
SneakerPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Let's hope that one of them knows how to use YouTube.
SneakerPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 17:29   Link #73
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp View Post
or Veoh...

I wish I could be there.
Old 2009-03-09, 18:27   Link #74
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp View Post
I give it half a day until it appears on Youtube.
Old 2009-03-10, 20:48   Link #75
E_I
Yuri fan

Well. did anyone see the preview. March 10th is almost over (here on the East Coast anyway).
Old 2009-03-11, 03:13   Link #76
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
This is the title from the April wave that has me the most exicted by far. Gonzo have not failed previously when creating something involving the epic talent of Range Murata. Please, please be made of win!

Have to say one of those females looks almsot the same as Lavie from Last Exile, who I utterly loved. Is this intentional, because in most of his works, there's always a girl/woman that looks virtually the same as Lavie. Not that I'm complaining though. That cover of ROBOT issue 1 is just pure divinity.
Agreed with everything you said! April can't get here soon enough. I'm begging for this to rock.

Yeah, it's probably intentional he seems to like that female look with the short hair, I've seen it in a number of his stand alone illustrations as well, and Lavie was indeed awesome. The other two designs that makes me think back to my fond memories of Last Exile and likely styles that Murata likes to draw since I've seen variations on them, are the one who looks somewhat like Alvis, but older, the girl with the stuffed animal, Karin. And Kunihiko, who I hope somehow is as likeable as Mullin was since he's got a headstart looking somewhat like him.

Mikuni's look in the outline sketch kind of reminds me of the little sister from Samurai 7 who was hilarious bossing around Kikuchiyo heh.

I'm very curious how the "captainy" guy is going to look colored since I don't know much about the story and who he is going to be.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 06:24   Link #77
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

Can't wait as well... as mucha s I love Murata I am a tad afraid his style would be a bit too bright and shiny for Shangri-La (which seems to be a quite darker deal in general) but just seeing something new from him after his disappointing latest doujinshi is welcome. If only April'd come faster...
HammerOrNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 07:50   Link #78
Westlo
Lets be reality

May'n best known for being the singing voice to Macross Frontier's Sheryl Nome will be singing the OP for this called "Kimi Shinitamou Koto Nakare".

http://bonkurasu.animeblogger.net/20...me-shangri-la/
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 12:24   Link #79
Oberon

GONZO motto of the week: It ain't broken, so lets fix it

I did a bit of looking around and it just recently clicked with me that Kenichi Yoshida had design artworks for Shangri-La up for ages on his website:

http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha01_04.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha05_06.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha07_08.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha09_end.html

Does anyone know the reason why GONZO decided to scrap all that and go with Murata? I like Murata, but IMO there was nothing wrong with Yoshida's designs to begin with and he obviously already put some work into it. Seems like a bit of an idiot move on GONZO's part from my POV, as Yoshida's a pretty established and recognized designer as well. If that's how Gonzo manages their finances as well, I'm not surprised why they're in monetary troubles.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 13:18   Link #80
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Woah, that stuff's pretty awesome, though the boomerangs are a little funky. Judging from his repertoire, Yoshida would have been a better choice. However, Murata did the concept design for Solty Rei and mecha design for Second Renaissance (part of the Animatrix) which would also fit the bill.

My opinion is only based on the scarce information that's been released so far. We'll see whether GONZO made the right choice.

Tags
gonzo, science fiction