AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-18, 18:13   Link #13441
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Etzali asked him to protect her, not her world, so that part must have been in Touma's phrasing.

Unless the original Japanese text of Etzali's petition implies that too... does it?
Is there a really big difference ? To protect Misaka means to protect her world as well.

And if you think about it, this still doesn't reflect what he said exactly. Which was just one sentence, and whatever it was left a smirk on his face and Eztali declaring it as the worst possible answer with a smile.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:16   Link #13442
Sumeragi
Banned

Without going into a long post, I think what Etzali said and Mikoto thought should give us a clue just to how short and simple Touma's reply was.

Quote:
Etzali: "That’s the worst possible answer."

Mikoto: I… I can’t misunderstand! I must be getting the wrong idea! His words definitely don’t have those meanings to it! He’s that kind of person; it’s not like he’s treating me as someone special! …I know I’m misunderstanding, but the way you said it is too easy for it to be mistaken otherwise, you big idiot!
If Touma had gone on about protecting Mikoto's world and all that, it's likely at lease Mikoto wouldn't be all panicking or blushing. No matter how you look at it, protecting a person's world just doesn't have the same "romantic" feelings as just saying he'll take responsibility for her. Also, that very expression, "I'll take responsibility for (someone)" has such a broad meaning when leaving out of context that it's certain that Mikoto, who undoubtedly has feelings for Touma, could perfectly be all hot and embarrassed at the fact Touma used that particular expression.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:27   Link #13443
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Is there a really big difference ? To protect Misaka means to protect her world as well.

And if you think about it, this still doesn't reflect what he said exactly. Which was just one sentence, and whatever it was left a smirk on his face and Eztali declaring it as the worst possible answer with a smile.
I think it is different, or there would be no need to explicitly saying "the world around her" ...

Etzali also says this on SS, remember? “Well, that boy was carrying out his ‘promise’ to protect the world around someone I have feelings for, so I thought I should help out some myself. It seems I overworked my shoulder a bit.”

Also, I never said the exact wording can be deduced, I'm talking about the content of the phrase... If he had just said "I'll take responsibility for her" then the meaning I'm talking about would have been lost.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
(now considering Sumeragi's last post... loading 100%)

I cannot think of an alternative phrase that sounds easy to misunderstand... but the "world around her" still bothers me...
Old 2011-08-18, 18:33   Link #13444
Sumeragi
Banned

It could be that Touma said "I'll take responsibility for her and her world" and Mikoto missed part of it, but I'm not getting how Mikoto would have missed the words that come in the middle of the sentence.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:37   Link #13445
leukrota

^ Well, that still is a single sentence...

I'd buy that one.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:44   Link #13446
Sumeragi
Banned

Except that we still have the problem with the sentence structure. In Japanese the word order would be similar to "I her and her world will take responsibility." Can't see how Mikoto would miss out "her world" when it's in the middle of the sentence.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:46   Link #13447
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

I told you guys Kamachi was setting up a massive trolling.
Old 2011-08-18, 18:50   Link #13448
leukrota

Maybe "I'll never let her world come to harm" ... that could still sound compromising enough... I think...

@Kuroi Hadou - ...well, I do feel trolled.

EDIT: Subject dropped? ... well, it wasn't going anywhere anyway I guess, sorry for being so stubborn, can't help it sometimes.

Last edited by leukrota; 2011-08-18 at 20:02. Reason: skipped word...
Old 2011-08-18, 19:54   Link #13449
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Touma said, "I'll make her feel good"
Old 2011-08-18, 19:56   Link #13450
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
That works too

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-08-18, 19:59   Link #13451
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
It's simple really- No matter what he said, it'll never be impactful enough. Therefore by not telling us what he said Kamachi lets us fill in the blanks ourselves with the 'best-thing-imaginable' according to our individual preference.
Old 2011-08-18, 20:05   Link #13452
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
That works too
LOL
Quote:
It's simple really- No matter what he said, it'll never be impactful enough. Therefore by not telling us what he said Kamachi lets us fill in the blanks ourselves with the 'best-thing-imaginable' according to our individual preference.
Literally with the "that's the worst possible answer"
Old 2011-08-18, 20:09   Link #13453
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Birdway : as expected, you're the last one leaving
Touma : this is my room you know.

Nice tsukkomi Touma lol. I laughed quite a bit reading that part.
Old 2011-08-18, 20:11   Link #13454
leukrota

Oh, BTW Chaos, I considered what you said the other time about the phrase
“Ohh, Kamijou Touma. It’s Kamijou Touma. I don’t really care about you, but make kitty purr!”

on NT2, and I think you're right, that probably was Maika (and maybe she was talking about the catgirl)

EDIT: OH, I got a new crack theory, maybe that catgirl is another GREMLIN magician who modified her body for catgirl characteristics, and maybe even for cat transformation... so she would have been making a visual confirmation of Touma's return....
Old 2011-08-18, 20:21   Link #13455
Miraluka
Banned

Birdway just trolled almost everyone in this volume.

EDIT:
Just as Kami said, Chapter 1 Part 8 updated.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2011-08-18 at 21:30.
Old 2011-08-18, 22:31   Link #13456
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Js06 is such a great person.

Also, seems like Ms. Tour Guide is channeling Saten there.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-08-19, 01:04   Link #13457
Flere821
Lurker

On the subject of what Touma could have possibly said to Etzali back in Vol5, what Etzali said was: "No matter where, no matter when, no matter who your opponent is, no matter how many times, as long as something like this happens, you’ll have to be a hero and go to her side to protect her. Can you promise me this?"

Personally I think Touma responded "Alright; I will protect her and everything in her world, unitl death do us part."

'Worst possible answer' criteria met by Touma all but saying he's taking the girl Etzali loves for himself, and 'misunderstand' criteria met by him just meaning he wants to protect Mikoto but she thinks it's a confession of sorts.
Old 2011-08-19, 05:22   Link #13458
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Well I'm not surprised one bit, since Kamachi-sensei is friends with Ryohgo Narita the author Durarara!!. That light novel is rich in massive trollings.
Old 2011-08-19, 06:06   Link #13459
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Since we're on the topic of trolling- specifically Misaka trolling...

Obviously illustrations gets posted faster than translations, I thought it would be awesome if one of the colourless illustrations for New Testament 3 has Mikoto with these jet black twisters of iron sand streaming out behind her, but because it looks exactly like Accelerator's Awaken wings, people from both camps would immediately start freaking out big time

Old 2011-08-19, 08:05   Link #13460
tsunade666

Quote:
Since we're on the topic of trolling- specifically Misaka trolling...

Obviously illustrations gets posted faster than translations, I thought it would be awesome if one of the colourless illustrations for New Testament 3 has Mikoto with these jet black twisters of iron sand streaming out behind her, but because it looks exactly like Accelerator's Awaken wings, people from both camps would immediately start freaking out big time

that would lead to a WWIII in the net.

Misaka awakens

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen