AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 12:52   Link #21
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I guess it bothers people to see dust flying about :P. My room is always dark so I don't really care.. And anyway, if you clean it INSIDE the computer, the dust is gonna be inside the case, not in your room, and you can just clean it then.
Old 2012-02-07, 12:07   Link #22
Kitame

i use the air compressor used to inflate basketballs on this task, works like a charm~ though people tend to warn me about static build-up though i doubt it because my area is moist like hell(a glass of cold water would produce those water droplets and manage to fill a spoon in just a couple of mins).
Kitame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 05:48   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I heard cans of compressed air work quite well for cleaning the innards of PCs such as the fan blades and all those little sensitive surfaces, without needing to deconstruct the PC. Just open it up, puff all the dust in one direction, then vacuum up the mess.

It's what I did with my laptop, since I can't actually take it apart without voiding the warranty.
Old 2012-02-14, 15:48   Link #24
Kitame

i clean my pc via toothbrush/paintbrush and compressed air. the brush is used for dirt not being blown away by the compressed air.

or i drop the PC into the pool since its dirty and all and buy my self a new one =D. to note, i only do this when the PC is more than 10years old or is totally dead, or both, yea i'm talking about my pentium4.
Old 2012-02-14, 16:50   Link #25
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I used a makeup brush set (you read it right) - hardly used canned air anymore since the condensed water vapour is a bitch to clean. And the different size brushes can reach into even the insides of the heat sink and ventilation mesh, as well as sweep up the dust from inside your CPU.

And they are easy to wash too - facial wash and warm water, sweep across a towel; viola! The dust doesn't cling onto the brush much - maybe that is how the makeup brushes are made to be to avoid the powder from clinging onto it.

If the brushes get torn up, simply ask your female friends if they had an extra set they want to discard (girls are interesting - usually the brushes are still in good condition yet they want to dump them). If not, a $10 set of 16-20 brushes can last for around 5 years.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 06:34   Link #26
Dist

What condensed water vapour? The only time there will come liquid out of canned air is when you don't hold the can straight. And even IF somehow you end up spilling that liquid inside your computer .. so what? Wait few minutes and it disappears on it's own and you're good to go. It's not water so it's not harmful.

IMO .. It's much easier to use canned air .. Hold the fan of the CPU or GPU cooler and spray .. Fluff.. the dust is gone. Now just grab it with something from the bottom of the case and you're done.
Old 2012-02-15, 07:12   Link #27
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What condensed water vapour? The only time there will come liquid out of canned air is when you don't hold the can straight. And even IF somehow you end up spilling that liquid inside your computer .. so what? Wait few minutes and it disappears on it's own and you're good to go. It's not water so it's not harmful.

IMO .. It's much easier to use canned air .. Hold the fan of the CPU or GPU cooler and spray .. Fluff.. the dust is gone. Now just grab it with something from the bottom of the case and you're done.
I used it to blow dust out from inside the heat sink once and had liquid dripping out of it. Ran a microfibre cloth through it - didn't really dare to use canned air again.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 08:25   Link #28
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Yes, canned air becomes really cold when decompressing. That can cause water to condense on the nozzle and on all parts you cool down with it. Maybe not such a good idea then.

I only clean coolers and heatsinks on my devices from time to time. I use a vacuum cleaner. Just make sure you put a finger on the ventilator you're cleaning, so it does not spin up.
Apart from that, a bit of dust is not really a problem for electronics. You can clean it off if you feel like it, but there is no reason for it. Most likely you will do more harm trying to wipe off every bit of dust than the stuff could ever cause.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 09:02   Link #29
Kitame

^ once i filled a plastic cup with dust from a single PC, yes its the pentium4 that i drowned. i guess you'd still call that "ignorable"? XD

i wonder how fluffy would a pillow stuffed with dust be...
Old 2012-02-15, 18:32   Link #30
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Weird. I never had a problem with moisture when I used compressed air. All I got was... well, air.

But vacuums work well, too. My mom has a Dyson and I borrowed it once. I used the attachment, stuck it up against the fanblade and it worked pretty well. I think. It's hard to tell with laptops sometimes.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:15   Link #31
Dist

Eh there's no moisture with compressed air. Like I explained before, and like it says on the can, you must hold the can straight. If you do not, then some liquid may spill. But I'm pretty sure that liquid isn't normal water because it'll disappear on it's own even if you just leave it there. Which you should, since it says on the can too to leave the computer for few minutes before turning it again after using compressed air.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:28   Link #32
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It does not contain air either (unless you use something like this).
There is no moisture in the can, but there is moisture in the air in your room.
And the "air" that comes out of the can is extremely cold, due to decompression. You can freeze water with it. Thus it cools down whatever you spray with it.
A cool surface in a moisture, warmer environment will cause condensation of water from the normal air.
For that reason it is better to wait a short time, until you switch power back on.

You can also spray out the still liquified gas, but that should cook away very quickly, once outside.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2012-02-15 at 19:41.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 17:26   Link #33
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
/sigh that never happens. The only thing that does happen is that when you hold the can sideways or upside down you spray out moisture because you didn't follow instructions.
It isn't just air that is inside the can it is freon, it evaporates you don't make fog or liquid in a warm environment with cold freon gas.

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2012-02-16 at 17:42.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote