AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 21 20.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 39.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.95%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-07, 09:33   Link #21
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
All i can gather from this ep is:
Spoiler for ep 5 speculation:
Old 2006-05-07, 10:34   Link #22
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Spoiler:

I have no theories, no expectations; I'm just tagging along for the ride. And thoroughly enjoying myself at the same time. Weird as it all may be.....
Old 2006-05-07, 10:37   Link #23
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

awesome episode that left me wanting more but it also confused me alot

Is this another story completely that just uses the same characters? or did it just go back in time and is telling another story that co exists with the first story? or is it something completely different lol
Old 2006-05-07, 11:05   Link #24
Boukenxha

Spoiler for ep 5:

Can anyone clarify for me the relationship between Hinamizawa, Okinomiya, and Shishibone City? Doesn't seem important really, but I thought it might help me understand the area of influence the Sonozaki family have. Thanks.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-07 at 11:57.
Old 2006-05-07, 11:31   Link #25
Vicke

Spoiler for ep5:
Old 2006-05-07, 12:05   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu
Can anyone clarify for me the relationship between Hinamizawa, Okinomiya, and Shishibone City? Doesn't seem important really, but I thought it might help me understand the area of influence the Sonozaki family have. Thanks.
Althought it is called Shishibone City, this "city" is more like a "county." I'm not a geographer so I don't know the exact reasoning behind this, but some rural areas tend to combine several surrounding villages and towns into one "city."

So within Shishibone City, you have two sub-divisions:
Okinomiya - a town
Hinamizawa - a village
Old 2006-05-07, 12:55   Link #27
Macnown

mm one question,
how come oishi didn't tell keichi that Mion had a twin sister? aswel as a brother
don't tell me the brother turned in to a girl??? mazaka
Old 2006-05-07, 12:56   Link #28
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu
Just like the "Intimidation" TIP suggested, the Sonozaki family is an incredibly influential force in the local government, all the way up to the prefectural level. The reason will be revealed in this chapter, Watanagashi-hen.

As for the whole Shion/Mion relationship thing, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. One thing's for certain, Meakashi (Watanagashi's "answer" chapter) will definitely bring a lot of surprises for most people.

Also, some people above were asking why certain events that happened in this episode (Watanagashi-hen) didn't happen in Onikakushi-hen (for example, why wasn't Shion introduced in Onikakushi-hen?). I can only give out one hint: When you replay a stage in, say, a shooting game, you never get exactly the same developments or results every time, right? This is the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
So within Shishibone City, you have two sub-divisions:
Okinomiya - a town
Hinamizawa - a village
I believe since Hinamizawa is too small to have its own local government (besides a village council), most of Hinamizawa's municipal functions (such as police) are covered by the nearest town, Okinomiya. Same for all the other villages listed in that dam resistence declaration TIP. Overall though, both Hinamizawa and Okinomiya counts as a municipality of Shishibone.
Old 2006-05-07, 13:03   Link #29
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnown
mm one question,
how come oishi didn't tell keichi that Mion had a twin sister? aswel as a brother
don't tell me the brother turned in to a girl??? mazaka
Why would Oishi need to tell that Mion had a twin sister if it's not related to the investigation, moreso if it doesn't add anything positive? And I don't know where you got the idea of a brother...
Old 2006-05-07, 13:24   Link #30
Mr. Guy

Is it just me or...
Spoiler for Episode 5 + stuff from 4(theory):

Suddenly becoming a big fan of Shion with a growing like of Mion. She may not have quite the psycho charm of Rena, but something must be loose in the head if she can laugh during that opening scene...
Old 2006-05-07, 14:41   Link #31
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, I didn't have to reacquaint myself with my meal! (I watched this episode on an empty stomach. )

Spoiler:

Also...

Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2006-05-07 at 14:57.
Old 2006-05-07, 18:03   Link #32
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guy
Is it just me or...(speculation)
The fact that Mion has a gun in previous episode supports what you're saying, I guess!

EDIT:

So let me get this straight: Kei and gang going to the shop to play cards in episode 5 happened because a different route was taken in the story? Or could this have occured in Onikakushi-hen, but we didn't see it?
Old 2006-05-07, 18:37   Link #33
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

I watched it in the morning instead of 11pm, since I didn’t want to be awake at night thinking about the show->I like my sleep. Even the first scene with Rika was not as disturbing as I thought it would be.

I gave episode five a 9, I would have given a 10 if they gave me more Shion and Mion screen time. I enjoy how the dynamics are playing out between the sisters and Keiichi. I feel joy for him (i.e. “Lucky dude, you got cute girls who like you.”) and anguish (i.e. “Bummer dude, you got girls with skeletons is their closets”) at the same time.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the mostly light-hearted slice-of-life break from what went on in ep.3-4.

Spoiler for US Presisdent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler:

Ok, my episode 5 comments with highlights. Only read if you have already seen episode 5, or don't mind being spoiled:
Spoiler for episode 5:
Spoiler for What Rika did:

Spoiler for screenshot of gags, and a sad Mion.:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for A tongue-in-cheek, question based on the above spoiler tab:

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-07 at 22:50.
Old 2006-05-07, 20:31   Link #34
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
Spoiler for A tongue-in-cheek, question based on the above spoiler tab:
You have no idea. Keiichi's not only the "Magician of Words", his alternate identity, K, raises his moe knowledge skills to a godly level, allowing the use of his KOOL marble reality: bombarding his opponent with speeches about the Art of Moe at machine-gun speed until the said opponent breaks down into a sobbing mess from K's MANLINESS. K's not alone in his endeavors either, his "soul brothers", Cloud, Iri, and Tommy are all true MEN constantly striving for their ideals in the world of moe! (Who are they? Just like how "K" came from Keiichi, you should realize who these men are if you looked in Higurashi's character list).

No, I'm not making this up. Here's an example of Keiichi's reality marble:
Spoiler:

If you're lucky, you'll get your first glimpse of "K" in Tatarigoroshi. ^^;

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-07 at 20:41.
Old 2006-05-07, 20:58   Link #35
Lemonhead
Artificial Flavors

Spoiler for opening scene:

-edit sorry didn't think it was spolierish, fixed now.

Last edited by Lemonhead; 2006-05-07 at 23:07.
Old 2006-05-07, 22:44   Link #36
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Yes....

Putting Lemonheads' thoughts in a spoiler in case none of you saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead
Spoiler:

I also had that thought and it's certainly possible but I also had a thought:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-07, 23:15   Link #37
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
You have no idea. Keiichi's not only the "Magician of Words", his alternate identity, K, raises his moe knowledge skills to a godly level, allowing the use of his KOOL marble reality: bombarding his opponent with speeches about the Art of Moe at machine-gun speed until the said opponent breaks down into a sobbing mess from K's MANLINESS. K's not alone in his endeavors either, his "soul brothers", Cloud, Iri, and Tommy are all true MEN constantly striving for their ideals in the world of moe! (Who are they? Just like how "K" came from Keiichi, you should realize who these men are if you looked in Higurashi's character list).

No, I'm not making this up. Here's an example of Keiichi's reality marble:
Spoiler:

If you're lucky, you'll get your first glimpse of "K" in Tatarigoroshi. ^^;
So K:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-07, 23:34   Link #38
choia

Question: is there any significance to the gun Mion carries? Will this arc explain the gun?
Old 2006-05-08, 00:20   Link #39
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choia
Question: is there any significance to the gun Mion carries? Will this arc explain the gun?
Just to end this speculation - no. There is no significance to the gun. Besides, I never even thought about it in the first place. Since guns are illegal in Japan, I just assumed it was a water pistol or something. Besides, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Mion suddenly squirting the club members in their faces in their club activities.
Old 2006-05-08, 00:25   Link #40
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Spoiler:
I can't answer to everything in there, but at least I can tell you what will be explained eventually:
1. Mion's shocked reactions whenever she sees Shion
2. Shion's reason for not living together with Mion
3. Shion's familiar attitude towards Keiichi right from the beginning
4. Shion's attitude/personality in general
5. The reason why nobody has ever head of Shion before
6. The reason for that sorrowful look Shion had on her face just before the break in this episode
7. The reason for Mion's depression

Actually, you know what? I'm sure all the questions raised in this thread will be explained eventually + answers to things you probably never even thought about. Watanagashi-hen is very rich in contents (much more so than Onikakushi), and the mystery will only get deeper and deeper. It's probably one of the most involved chapters in the game (much more than it appears to be). Your best bet is to focus on the Sonozaki twins, and gather as much as you can about their personalities and their circumstances (as much as you can tell) from within this chapter.

Hopefully the anime doesn't cut out TOO much from the game, or else things might start getting... hard to figure out.

Remember those general tips:
1. Don't believe everything you see, and
2. What you have learned about a character's personality applies across ALL chapters (hint: this works both ways, something you know from a previous chapter may help you determine something in this chapter. Similarly, something you newly learned in this chapter may help you determine something from a past chapter as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
So K:
Spoiler:
No, K tends to only get knocked out if he tries it on girls, especially Rena. Rena can easily drop him (or anyone else, for that matter, even Iri in "Maid in Heaven" mode) like a brick.

Spoiler for off topic about Rena's fighting skill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by choia
No, I don't think there's any meaning to the gun at all.

As far as I know, it's a model gun, not real. That and models guns are one of Mion's hobbies (and no, I don't think that has any significance either).

Edit: ah kj beat me to it.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-08 at 00:35.
Closed Thread