AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 16 15.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 14.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 25.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 5.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.81%
4 out of 10 : Poor 8 7.62%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.95%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.95%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-10, 10:46   Link #81
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
To put it into perspective, I dislike the manga chapter this episode is based on more than I do this episode. At least in this episode we learn something about the characters, the manga chapter does not have this saving grace.
Well just to point out to people here, half of this episode is entirely anime-original material, so I don't know if you could say there was a chapter it was based on.

As for the second half, it is chapter 17 of the manga, but I honestly don't see how it was bad; as I said, it was a cooldown from the first arc, and I thought it accomplished that really well. It especially worked because we hadn't had much of the looney Mikoto and Kuroko interaction that is a part of this series and these characters due to characters having been busy with more serious matters at the peak of the preceding first arc, naturally. (just to cover my bases, this shouldn't count as a spoiler ; I'm not giving away details, and it only goes to reason that the comedy moments would take a backseat when the plot gets serious)

The reason it didn't work here with episode 2 is because the entire episode was made on the looney Mikoto-Kuroko interaction and not for the purpose of a cooldown, with nothing significant to balance it out, as well as there not having been a lack of it due to plot coverage. As opposed to chapter 17's cooldown.

EDIT: And oh yes, I've been forgetting to watch it but I just did see the ED for myself.....and yes, it's not quite so good. For one thing it feels too.....shoujou to me. And needless to say, this isn't a shoujou series.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-10-10 at 11:11.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 12:56   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Now that's not fair to say. A lot of us here have read the manga, so we do know what Railgun is about. And this wasn't it. This episode's fanservice and Kuroko-mania were pretty exagerrated over what the manga gives us, nor does the manga have such random stuff as the first half of this episode. (at least the pool cleaning scene was accurate though) It's not like the anime is intended to give us something totally different from the manga, anyway.
The thing is, we don't know what the anime is intending to give us yet. People just assume that, because they've read the source material, they understand the type of show that's going to be produced. But if this show is in fact going to be two cours in length, they're going to have to make some adjustments to the story and introduce some original material. The director did also make the comment earlier about the story centering on the friendship of the girls, which certainly seems reflected in things like the ED. So it may very well be that the overall emphasis and balance of the story may shift -- we don't know that yet. But we're only two episodes in, and people are already slaughtering it on the altar of unmet expectations. If this is going to be another series that results in a Holy War about how faithfulness to the original is more important than the show's ability to find an identity of its own, then suffice it to say we're going to be in for a painful ride.

My main point is, people who know the manga need to ease up a bit on telling us all what sort of show this is going to be, especially in these episode threads. Before the show even started I created a spoiler & speculation thread for people, and if we need an anime/manga comparison thread, I can create one too. But this thread is for discussing what the anime gives us, not for convincing people about what the anime is maybe/probably going to give us later. Even though you think you know it all, the producers could still go in a different direction. People need to stop jumping to conclusions and just stay tuned.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:02   Link #83
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Meh, if this series gets tedious. At least we have another biribiri to turn to this season.
Judging by how great the first episode was, I'm gonna go ahead and say the Darker than Black 2 is going to be awesome.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:11   Link #84
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
With Tatsuyuki Nagai directing (Honey Clover ep.12/Honey Clover II/Toradora!), I really hope the rest will turn out great.
In contrast with you I found that fact disturbing....
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:16   Link #85
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
In contrast with you I found that fact disturbing....
Honey and Clover was great. And what he did with Toradora's tiny budget... I really think it out shined Index (the suspected budget hog).
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:18   Link #86
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Honey and Clover was great. And what he did with Toradora's tiny budget... I really think it out shined Index (the suspected budget hog).
H&C was great(in that time) I can't deny it... but other show.... meh
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:23   Link #87
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
The ED song is pretty good.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:30   Link #88
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Kuroko is one scary girl. To think that Mikoto had to put up with her everyday . But it looks like the shock treatment was what Kuroko wants too .
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:35   Link #89
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
People need to stop jumping to conclusions and just stay tuned.
It's incredible how the people are doing that, you know? Like the comments, "Is this how it is going to be?" like one episode is going to decide the direction of the entire series.
In the first place, this was just a spin-off manga on Mikoto, probably because of her popularity. Which means this whole series is fanservice, so the complaints about fanservice... And the complaints about why this anime isn't like the Index anime...
The whole point of the manga is to watch Mikoto's interactions with people, which is what this episode did, so I'm satisfied.

*goes off to watch the episode a 2nd time*
Bwahaha, can't believe it isn't deleted. Stupid NicoDouga moderators or whatever-tors.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:36   Link #90
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm not really sure why people are calling this episode fanservice anyway. For the most part the shots were fairly innocent, and most overt sexual things were only implied or only referred to in a comic way. *It* was a comic relief episode. And what's wrong with that! I read the manga too, and I approve of it! The To Aru series as a whole lacks a lot of characterization. And now we get people crucifying the anime producers when they attempt to do some.
Thats the problem - they should be a relief. Such episodes like this should come between bigger story arcs (like in manga), rather than coming one of each other and giving the story no direction whatsoever.

So far I have to say that it looks like atrocious story planing even if it really is a two cours.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:48   Link #91
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
The thing is, we don't know what the anime is intending to give us yet. People just assume that, because they've read the source material, they understand the type of show that's going to be produced. But if this show is in fact going to be two cours in length, they're going to have to make some adjustments to the story and introduce some original material. The director did also make the comment earlier about the story centering on the friendship of the girls, which certainly seems reflected in things like the ED. So it may very well be that the overall emphasis and balance of the story may shift -- we don't know that yet. But we're only two episodes in, and people are already slaughtering it on the altar of unmet expectations. If this is going to be another series that results in a Holy War about how faithfulness to the original is more important than the show's ability to find an identity of its own, then suffice it to say we're going to be in for a painful ride.

My main point is, people who know the manga need to ease up a bit on telling us all what sort of show this is going to be, especially in these episode threads. Before the show even started I created a spoiler & speculation thread for people, and if we need an anime/manga comparison thread, I can create one too. But this thread is for discussing what the anime gives us, not for convincing people about what the anime is maybe/probably going to give us later. Even though you think you know it all, the producers could still go in a different direction. People need to stop jumping to conclusions and just stay tuned.
Well, I do agree here. When the anime find an identity of its own -which is inescapable due to the source material, or lack thereof- I won't be complaining that "They Changed It Now It Sucks" as the trope goes. I often encourage change, but I like it to be done good. That the changes add something to the series. Which is my major complaint about this episode, it adds very little. Too little, in my opinion. This is far from saying that this episode sucked (which it didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did) but they could have had a little more added to it. Since it's a slice of life episode, obviously there'd be no plot development, but a tad more character development than the little crumbs this episode gave would have been more than welcome.

Of course, the fact that I already know more about the characters because I followed Index and the Railgun manga may make my views on this a bit blurry.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:53   Link #92
Xacual

I'm kind of betting on the series being one cour therefor they want to end at the first big arc. Once they really get into that arc, they won't have time to do these fun filler episodes.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:37   Link #93
BlueDo

Well... the episode was kinda plotless

I was kinda excited when Touma appeared.
I really want to see how people who haven't watched Railgun will react to their fighing scenes.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:57   Link #94
sayde

This episode's opening scene got me all excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
7/10 just because Touma made an appearance.
I'm inclined to agree. But I guess I can give this episode an extra point for bringing about a few laughs.

8/10
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 17:15   Link #95
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

if touma makes an appearance, i wonder if we will see index
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 17:43   Link #96
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Well since this series is Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, I'm pretty sure we're expecting them to give us Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. The first episode did; episode 2 didn't. So I think people are well-founded in any misgivings they have at the moment. I most certainly agree that we need to stay focused on the fact that we're only two episodes in, but as for this episode itself, it did betray what Toaru Kagaku no Railgun is (you don't see a show like Bleach totally leaving the action behind; even the Kanonji filler episodes had action), so on that part alone people are founded in their disappointment.

As for needing to put in original material to fill in two cours, I don't think it's as necessary as you think. There are currently about 25 chapters out of Railgun, and with the exception of 17, many of them could fill an entire epiosde each, and that's not counting two certain special chapters not included in the chapter number that would certainly be worth animating. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them putting in anime-original material, as long as it's good. And the first half of this wasn't. As Keroko stated, if they had actually developed a bit on how Mikoto and Kuroko first met (I actually would have loved to see that), than this would have been a great episode. However, they utterly failed in making the "first anniversary" any sort of significant event; it didn't even seem like the staff cared enough about it to even think it could have made good anime original material.

Quote:
Well as I said, people came here expecting Railgun to give us Railgun. If they don't give us Railgun when they say they'll give us Railgun....well people can't help but be disappointed. And the fact that people who haven't read the manga are also disappointed is pretty indicative that it's not manga-following that's the problem. But again as I have said many times, I'm not condemning this series. While I do condemn this episode for its failures (whether or not it kept to the manga, it was still a completely pointless episode which they could have made significant with some Mikoto/Kuroko backstory but didn't), I still encourage people to continue with the series as I'm sure they'll get their footing back one way or another, whether it be by following the manga or through anime-original material. But I think that we can agree that eventually they'll get to animating what made the manga popular. (and no serenade, not just biri-biri screentime lol) Otherwise, why animate a manga you aren't going to follow? Make a new series, and then you won't have to worry about those people who do condemn a series for not following its manga, like they have for years and years.

And just to be sure you guys remember, I did give the episode a 7/10 ; it wasn't perfect for sure, but also far from bad. I still laughed a lot this episode, so at least they're doing the humor right, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
if touma makes an appearance, i wonder if we will see index
Mmm, my initial impression on that would be no, unless miraculously we end up as far as the Sherry arc from Index. When I saw that Railgun scan of both Mikoto and Index my brain started super-spinning theories about that, but I don't think so. Just a feeling, no real base for it.
Old 2009-10-10, 17:49   Link #97
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

At least if the show is going to digress from the main plot and go into character development, they could at least put some effort into it.

This episode simply made Kuroko's character seem really annoying and whiny. There was nothing redeeming about it in the very end. The best part of the episode was the Touma scene in the beginning. The rest of it was pointless. I didn't learn anything new about the characters.

OMG, MISAKI is pretty normal even though she is a level 5 esper! Wait didn't we learn that last episode?

Oh, we played out the gag of Kuroko's infatuation last episode, lets play it out all over again for the whole episode!!!!!!

Seriously?

Besides the fact that the plot itself was bad for this episode, the repetition of it would kill it anyways.

Sigh. So it was repetitive, not very funny, devoid of any further character development that wasn't already given, did not even get the overall plot rolling along (Lets face it, this is not a slice of anime about espers... Don't even try to argue otherwise), and was an episode worthy of a poor fanfiction.

I give it a 4/10. This episode was poor. End of story.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 18:09   Link #98
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

It took a great amount of effort to not give this episode a 10 just for the loli-Misaka photo album.

But aside from that... I can't say that I was too fond of this episode. On side side, I don't see why J.C. Staff thought it was a good idea to place an episode like this right after an introduction episode, especially since the manga readers are saying this happened during a much later chapter and after a major arc. It could be considered characterization, but honestly I think it would do more harm than good, because two episodes straight of this style would give a lot of anime-only viewers the wrong impression, and would inevitably turn some people off from the show. Most people who haven't read the manga are picking this up because of it's relation to Index, so naturally they're going to expect an anime that branches off from the magical Index and focuses more of the science side of things. Lumping all the "pointless" and comedic episodes together... especially in the beginning, doesn't seem like a very good way to get people interested in your show. It was still enjoyable in a way though, and I'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but I can already see from the reviews in this topic that many people aren't going to give the show the benefit of the doubt because of the pacing decision.

The only reason I would find myself dropping this show anytime soon would be because of Kuroko. I'm glad she didn't have that much of a presence in Index, because near the point where I can barely stand her annoying personality. I know it's supposed to be amusing and whatnot, but when Kuroko's clingy and jealous nature really makes me miss Touma's preachy self... then I know they're overblowing it by a lot. They're trying to play it off by making me feel bad of Kuroko and have me believe that there is a special relationship between her and Misaka, but they're just not doing a good job with it, and even the "serious" moments regarding the two felt so one-sided and fake that I couldn't help but laugh. I feel so bad for Misaka... having to deal with someone like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
As for needing to put in original material to fill in two cours, I don't think it's as necessary as you think. There are currently about 25 chapters out of Railgun, and with the exception of 17, many of them could fill an entire epiosde each, and that's not counting two certain special chapters not included in the chapter number that would certainly be worth animating. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them putting in anime-original material, as long as it's good. And the first half of this wasn't. As Keroko stated, if they had actually developed a bit on how Mikoto and Kuroko first met (I actually would have loved to see that), than this would have been a great episode. However, they utterly failed in making the "first anniversary" any sort of significant event; it didn't even seem like the staff cared enough about it to even think it could have made good anime original material.
Gonna have to agree with you two there... even a tiny bit more focus on their actual relationship and backstory and a little less on Kuroko trying to get into Misaka's shorts would have made this episode a lot easier to swallow, and thus it wouldn't be getting the harsh criticism it is getting now. The whole anniversary that was supposed to mean something felt tacked on at the end, and I think Misaka knew it too, and put it best when she found the anniversary of a week of friendship with Uiharu and Saten a lot more significant than the month long annoyance anniversary with Kuroko.
Old 2009-10-10, 18:58   Link #99
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo + the people who share his POV
Thats the problem - they should be a relief. Such episodes like this should come between bigger story arcs (like in manga), rather than coming one of each other and giving the story no direction whatsoever.

So far I have to say that it looks like atrocious story planing even if it really is a two cours.
Well, given that this episode was not even supposed to count towards plot development, but character interaction development (note the difference with character interaction) I wouldn't see why it counts towards a plot progression mark.

Or maybe it's just me that wuuldn't mind if this show took a more Someday Dreamers like approach, even if I know that we will soon reach the PLOT that everyone seems to love so much these days.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 19:08   Link #100
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol Shirai's panties and Misaka's panties .

Wonder why Misaka was chasing Touma (don't remember)

Next episode : Seems that a little boy will disturb them .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote