AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-10-01, 11:36   Link #1
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Major female character who feels invisible

Something I just suddenly wanted to see, are there any good series with a major female character who feels invisible, insignificant or otherwise unnoticeable? Not a story about a girl who's trying to become famous and struggling to achieve it (like an idol or something), but one where a girl is struggling with the feelings and the matter of finding her worth. Best two examples I can think of both come from KamiNomi: Chihiro and Kanon. Kanon demonstrates pretty well the separation from the search for fame: she's super-famous, one of the biggest idols out there, and she still often feels like no one can even see her. She's absolutely desperate to stand out and be noticed and nothing she does helps her feel the least bit special or noticed. Chihiro on the other hand just feels dull and average. Her friends seem to simply sparkle, with some manner of greatness in them in terms of grades, personality, big dreams or great success, while not only does she not have anything great about her she's not even insignificant enough to make anything big of that. She responds by trying to fall in love with a guy who's really awesome and really "shines" in hopes that being his girlfriend will give her a certain brilliance as well. And it takes some work for her to realize how shallow and empty feelings are when they're based on something as weak as a desire to be cool by association.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-01, 15:29   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In your bloodstream
Age: 68
Kana-chan in Chihayafuru maybe?

Tsukimi in Kuragehime
SeijiSensei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-01, 22:46   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 39
First example I can think of is Madoka from Madoka Magica.

I guess Usagi from Sailor Moon fits as well - at least for the first season.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 13:04   Link #4
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Ghost Hunt - I would say there are two arcs where two different female characters go out o their way to be noticed and not be an empty space. One of them makes appearance in 1st arc.

Hansaku Iroha I think. Nako is very quiet and shy and believes to be completely useless in comparison to others. Eventually she starts to become a pretty prominent character in the series.

I think Iori from Kokoro Connect might work. Her whole arc is mostly explored in 4 OVAs but the idea is that Iori had a harsh, complicated family thing and in order to please people, adapted several different personas. As a result she struggles to understand which of this personalities is really her and if Iori even exists as a separate being. Personally my fave arc of the series.

Rin from Love Live! School Idol Project. Yes, it's an idol show but one of the girls', Rin, believes that she is extremely plain and unattractive in comparison to her fellow idols and has dilemma about it in season 2.

What about a guy? Cause Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo is all about an average guy who shares a dorm with extremely talented people and spends whole series trying to be more than no one in comparison to them. To achieve something and have a purpose.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-04, 15:28   Link #5
AnimeFangirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The dog gossips too much.
Nana: The main character feels like a nobody because all her new city friends are rock stars and she's just a ordinary girl. A desire to be part of their world is part of what motivates her to hook up with jerk rocker Takumi. She gets her wish, but she also gets more than she bargained for...

Warning: the author dropped the series due to ill-health. We may never know what happened to either Nana in the end.
__________________
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-05, 16:54   Link #6
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Ghost Hunt - I would say there are two arcs where two different female characters go out o their way to be noticed and not be an empty space. One of them makes appearance in 1st arc.
I'd prefer characters who are more permanent and major; not necessarily primary heroines but not single-arc subjects like the ones I remember in that series.

Quote:
Hansaku Iroha I think. Nako is very quiet and shy and believes to be completely useless in comparison to others. Eventually she starts to become a pretty prominent character in the series.
I'll have to watch that again. I don't recall her really having concern over her personal image of mediocrity, at least nothing particularly big like Chihiro's constant search for a way to "shine". That said, she does seem somewhat fair in her longing for excitement (again if I remember the story correctly).

Quote:
I think Iori from Kokoro Connect might work. Her whole arc is mostly explored in 4 OVAs but the idea is that Iori had a harsh, complicated family thing and in order to please people, adapted several different personas. As a result she struggles to understand which of this personalities is really her and if Iori even exists as a separate being. Personally my fave arc of the series.
I love Iori, but I'm not entirely sure she fits. She's desperate to be able to find and know herself, not to get people to notice her. Or more specifically, she seems mainly desperate for people to notice her because she's found herself unable to see her own face clearly. And later once repeated trauma stripped her bare mentally and she has to face dark parts of her being, she becomes desperate for people to accept her; in fact, she's kind of an inversion because instead of wanting to shine and be popular and all that jazz, she wants those she cares about to stop expecting more light than she really has inside of her, to get them to stop expecting a shining sun when she's really just a pretty moon.

Quote:
Rin from Love Live! School Idol Project. Yes, it's an idol show but one of the girls', Rin, believes that she is extremely plain and unattractive in comparison to her fellow idols and has dilemma about it in season 2.
Don't think I've watched season 2. I'll have to give it a shot.

Quote:
What about a guy? Cause Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo is all about an average guy who shares a dorm with extremely talented people and spends whole series trying to be more than no one in comparison to them. To achieve something and have a purpose.
I'll take a look. Never really got far in that series.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.