AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-05, 02:34   Link #1
domino
デレデレ

Gintama

Gintama discussion thread. :P Shonen Jump's next big anime is coming in April! I am in love with the manga, so I'm so happy to see that it's being animated soon. It is an action/comedy series about samurai that parodies everything from sci fi to shinsengumi to Densha Otoko. ^_^

Based on the bestselling manga by Hideaki Sorachi (currently 11+ volumes)

Anyway, so far we know the voice cast:

Tomokazu Sugita (Hideki in Chobits, Mayama in Honey & Clover) as Sakata Gintoki

Daisuke Sakaguchi (Shounen Bat in Paranoia Agent) as Shimura Shinpachi

Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) as Kagura

Akira Ishida (Gaara in Naruto, Hakkai in Saiyuki) as Katsura

Kazuya Nakai (Zoro in One Piece) as Hijikata

Kenichi Suzumura (Zack in FF7, Kamui in X) as Okita

Kujira (Orochimaru in Naruto) as Otose

Mikako Takahashi (Sakuno in Prince of Tennis, Hyatt in Excel Saga) as Otsuu

Satsuki Yukino (Chidori in Fullmetal Panic) as Otae

Susumu Chiba (Sai in Hikaru no Go) as Kondo

------------------------------------------------------------

Opening song artist: TommyHeavenly6 (aka TommyFebruary6), who did the Paradise Kiss theme song

Ending song artist: Captain Stridum, who did the song "Mountain a Go Go Two" for Naruto

Official website is here.

Before the TV series, an OVA was released at last winter's Jump Festa. The story in the OVA is about the manga chapter where the characters go to view the spring flowers. There's also a bonus story based on the side gag story where all of the characters are randomly made into a "high school setting" story. There were pictures of it in the US version of Shonen Jump....

Anyway, I can't wait to see this series subbed!! If anyone has more info, please share... ^_^

Last edited by domino; 2008-03-13 at 08:29.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 20:11   Link #2
Tsukishirou

Yay! Gintama, I hope it doesnīt form a clan like Narutards and whatever itīs called for Bleach... or at least that it doesnīt form too quickly
Tsukishirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:20   Link #3
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm looking forward to this one, too. Gintama's a fun manga
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 12:44   Link #4
Dural
Me > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukishirou
Yay! Gintama, I hope it doesn´t form a clan like Narutards and whatever it´s called for Bleach... or at least that it doesn´t form too quickly

lol, you know it will, so you will be able to hate on it when more than 100 people know about it.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 15:43   Link #5
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukishirou
Yay! Gintama, I hope it doesnīt form a clan like Narutards and whatever itīs called for Bleach... or at least that it doesnīt form too quickly
I'm smelling a Shonen Jump cycle. First it was Naruto that gathered a billion fans, then got licensed and sank into filler episodes. Then Bleach took its place, but is now licensed, and I hear it's getting to filler time too... does this mean Gintama is next to enter the cycle?

Anyway, the official site was updated with character profiles for the main characters Gintoki, Shinpachi, and Kagura. Looks like it starts April 4th, with a 1 hour special right up against Bleach. ^_^ Maybe it really is set up to take Bleach's place...
Old 2006-03-28, 16:05   Link #6
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

KINTAMA!

thats not a good thing
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 17:34   Link #7
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai
KINTAMA!

thats not a good thing
lol.. the author meant to do that. XD He says he gets a kick out of hearing schoolgirls say the name of his manga in bookstores...

the person who wrote this series is very funny/insane...

Ok, for those who don't get the pun... the series name is "Gintama", written with the kanji "Silver" (gin) and "Soul" (tama)

But if you say "Kintama", it's written "Gold" (kin) and "Ball" (tama)... Japanese word for testicles ~_~

So the name of the series is a pun on that word... which says a lot about how insane this series is...
Old 2006-03-31, 17:15   Link #8
domino
デレデレ

Someone uploaded a trailer commercial for Gintama. It looks good. ^_^ But I really don't like Gintoki's voice... too deep and not lazy/stupid enough. ~_~ But I guess I'll have to get used to it...
Old 2006-04-01, 05:45   Link #9
Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
Someone uploaded a trailer commercial for Gintama. It looks good. ^_^ But I really don't like Gintoki's voice... too deep and not lazy/stupid enough. ~_~ But I guess I'll have to get used to it...
It was a bad choice for the director to make Gintoki sound older and he looks younger than he sounds.
Cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 07:25   Link #10
Ramen89

Quote:
Wow I've never seen that before thanks
I cant wait for it, it looks pretty good, good to see it looks like a proper adaptation aswell (I was slightly worried after what happened to Black Cat), but yeah I think Gintoki sounds way too old, but that aside it should be pretty good!
Ramen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 18:25   Link #11
Soulfang
Inactive Member

I found it hilarious that Saiyaman called it "Kintama" instead...
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 21:28   Link #12
hi no ken Jebus

Pretty good first impressions. I never read the manga so it's all new to me. Things are never serious I almost fell out of my chair when they did the ashita no joe parody. The cast is very likeable especially Shinpachi and Kagura. Definitely hope this goes well.

Last edited by hi no ken Jebus; 2006-04-06 at 10:42.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 03:47   Link #13
animedow

Send a message via ICQ to animedow Send a message via MSN to animedow
I really loved the manga, too bad they stopped scanlating it... (I know it's licensed but if I could find a translator.... :P)

Anyways, here is to hoping it'll be a great new series! It's going to be wacky fun either way
animedow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 22:50   Link #14
AnimEcoli

i wonder if anyone is going to sub this series
AnimEcoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 06:08   Link #15
miaka

First episode is a double episode. Its very funny. It gives me an impression that the author focus more on comedy rather than serious plot.

I've seen its jump festa 2005, the highschool setting Domino refering is the scene they imitated Kinpachi sensei ( Gintoki as sensei). They even make some Bleach pose. I screen cap it and its inside the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

Last edited by miaka; 2006-04-07 at 13:20.
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 07:04   Link #16
Ramen89

Ha, that Bleach parody is hilarious! I wish someone would sub it :'(
Ramen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 10:30   Link #17
Rinslet
Freelancer

That´s the jump festa about? xD great, i love those Ginpachi omakes (now novels)

Even if the 1º episode was a little boring, i´m quite sure it´ll be a great adaptation (i was also worried before Black Cat -.-U) Gin-chan sounds old and not lazy enough, but the rest of the voices are ok to me, and just loved the opening
Rinslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 11:10   Link #18
hooliganj
Team Player

The first ep seemed like it might have been meant as another OVA before they decided to go ahead with a TV series. They make a point of using as many characters as possible, even if they have little to no reason for being there, and the preview for ep 2 showed the story from the first issue of the manga, meaning that may as well be the real premiere.

Also, they don't really get into detail in the manga, but logically Gintaki and Katsura both had to be at least in their tweens when the aliens took over, which would put them in their late 20s or early 30s when the story takes place, possibly older. I never expected them to sound young.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 07:16   Link #19
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

>.< I love this manga!! I red the 20's first chapters and I saw the first anim episode. I loved it!!

I hope that there will be fansubs soon!!
a-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 10:59   Link #20
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, shounen