AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-05-01, 14:55   Link #1521
dfens

Starbust I use to use Ebay and always got a better deal sometimes unbelievable deals. But then a few times the figure I wanted was so popular that the price was 2-3 times or more higher. The final straw was when it took me nearly 2 years to find a complete trading card figure set. I tried a retail store that specialized in this stuff and Ebay to no avail. If only I ordered online direct from japan it would have saved me the headache.

So to fix the problem of getting it ASAP and being assured I'd get one. I now use Hobby Link Japan with no regrets.

Here is how they work. You see a figure or item and if you pre-order it you can save on average 5-10 dollars if you order within a 2-3 weeks time as soon as it's posted a early bird special.

Then usually at the earliest 1 week after it hits the shelves in japan it ships to you. They only bill you at the time the order is ready so you are not paying months in advance if you pre-order or if it's in stock they bill you when it's ready to ship. What they do is lock in the exchange rate at the time the order is ready for about 3 weeks, and within this time frame for you to pay them or they cancel your order.

After that you choose SAL which can take up to a month to arrive or EMS which for me on average 1 week or just under 2 weeks. EMS is almost twice as expensive but for me a tracking number and insurance plus the fact it's a measly few extra dollars so why not.

But you have to watch those exchange rates. One statue I have on order the dollar dropped like a brick and went from the normal 168.00 dollars to well over 200.00 plus. Luckily it's still on back order which sucks since I pre-ordered it, at least now the dollar is stronger again and the price went back down if it ships soon. This particular figure is the only one that I pre-ordered and didn't get. Turns out some where defective and that the numbers made where really small. Thank god I'm still on the waiting list and since I pre-ordered it I'm at the top so my chances are better than someone placing a order today or tomorrow.

Once time I placed a order and had to wait 3 months plus but they eventually tracked down a hard to find item and I got it no problems and this was a out of print item too.

The reason I trust HLJ and place all my orders with them is because in the past I knew people used them so they're aren't scammers who take your money and run. And the fact that I used them many times, with fast and great customer service. Items always arrived new and undamaged. They take pay pal which allows me to pay them right away and ship the next day. Plus they are based in japan and have every figure made for sale on their site.

I know of Toy's Logic they are based in california. They aren't bad but their prices are about the same if not a little higher after shipping and they usually make you wait up to 2-3 months more to get your order.

As for figures going up on price I would say that isn't entirely true. Everything is going up but also the quality of the figures and the scale have dramatically gone up. I remember a few years ago only a handful would be so good, now it seems right and left a top quality figure comes out. Not only that certain characters are getting the star treatment and have so many too choose from. As long as you control yourself you'll be fine. I can afford a ton of figures but I'm limited on space so that helps keep me in check. I only order the ones I can't live without.

Last edited by dfens; 2009-05-01 at 21:13.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 15:09   Link #1522
Starburst
Horo♥

Thanks for the posts guys. I've placed 2 pre-orders with HLJ. I have them set up to ship SAL, but perhaps I'll change to EMS, I didn't realize SAL shipped without a tracking number.

Fortunately for me I can live without any figures, and probably should, but I keep impulse buying... And with the pre-orders I'm not charged immediately so it feels like I can afford them all.

Toys Logic's shipping to Canada seems to be similar in cost as HLJ's shipping. And Toys Logic's prices tend to be slightly more from the few I've checked. So I'll likely switch over to HLJ from now on, doesn't appear I'll save any money, but items will likely arrive earlier.
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 18:13   Link #1523
alamarco
Why hello there!

I use both ToysLogic and HLJ. I usually look on ToysLogic first, since I have ordered so many figures from them and I tend to stay loyal to companies that treat me well. Most figures I have gotten from ToysLogic were cheaper than HLJ, but there were 2 which were cheaper at HLJ so I decided to choose them instead.

I ordered once from KidNemo and they seem like a decent company. My order hasn't shipped yet, but I can say customer support has been superb. I've been in constant contact with them and have no complaints.

I always pre-order because if you don't, you'll have a hard time locating the figure. Yes they will pop up on eBay, but who's a reputable seller? How do you know you aren't getting a knock off? I ordered one figure off of eBay because I absolutely had to have it. Right now I have two figures on pre-order in Moka and ToraDora set, both due in August.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 18:34   Link #1524
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Figure prices are really climbing lol, I'm going to be skipping lots of figures and concentrating on Figmas and Nendoroids if the prices continue climbing. But again, Figmas and Nendoroids are making a killing by numbers.
yes.. I live in Canada, I remember used to pay 60-80 for a regular size PVC. First version of Clare from Claymore, and 100 for Kureha from Shinning Tear by Max Factory(big box). Now average regular size PVC are range from 85-100 and larger box ones are usually 120+. thats a 20-40% increase. blame world economy and Yen price.

HLJ is the best imo. Sometimes they have some nice early bird and sale. I only used toyslogic once, they are not bad neither.

when comes to shipping with HLJ i always use SAL, EMS is very expensive, sometimes it cost 50% what figure worth. SAL is pretty reliable, I had several purchase with HLJ and SAL never failed me. usually takes 2-3 weeks to arrive to Canada. but some times they get here in 8 days, which often suprises me.

I have a pretty good anime store in my city, owner is very friendly, I usually pre-order figure with him. and he would hold something for me for 1 month or even more. right now i got Chouno Armored Ver., Saber Lily, Haruhi Extravaganza, Yoko hunter ver. on pre-order with the guy. He will let me know in advance if he is ordering certain figure with his supplier or not. I prefer buy figure in person than online, I can see the product and then decide, because sometimes released picture or prototype picture is different than finished goods.
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 19:04   Link #1525
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
mmm...this is hard to put into words that wont hurt anyone, but i'll try. i respect hobbies, whatever they may be and i dont dislike the figurines collecting thing. its just that i dont understand it. the thing that interested me, is it really ok with you guys to spend 100$ on a small model that imho doesnt look much like the character from your favorite anime? i mean its small and just stands there...i think something like wallpapers does it better, imho.
i repeat, i'm not trying to flame or upset people here. i'm just hoping for an understanding reply, thats all...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 19:22   Link #1526
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
mmm...this is hard to put into words that wont hurt anyone, but i'll try. i respect hobbies, whatever they may be and i dont dislike the figurines collecting thing. its just that i dont understand it. the thing that interested me, is it really ok with you guys to spend 100$ on a small model that imho doesnt look much like the character from your favorite anime? i mean its small and just stands there...i think something like wallpapers does it better, imho.
i repeat, i'm not trying to flame or upset people here. i'm just hoping for an understanding reply, thats all...
it's a personal preference thing, collecting figures is just like any collection. people collect coins, stamps, cars, mugs....to me a stamp is just something u put on an envelope and send it out.. but to some people they are treasures. Same with collecting figures or any toys... collectors like to collect them because no other reason but liking it...
Old 2009-05-02, 19:40   Link #1527
idiffer

well, thanks for the reply. really.
so, generally...if you have 3 figurines then at some point you start to want more? or are there people who buy one and stop?
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2009-05-02, 20:53   Link #1528
dfens

It varies from figure to figure. Some look better than others or this company is known to put out a better looking product. I have about 15 or so figures and most I payed way under retail. The last 3 I bought I pre-ordered, payed retail, and good thing I did they are hard to find now and worth a good penny.

I tend to stay away from the cheaper ones like the gashapons or the trading figures unless it's a series I really love and the price isn't bad.

If you look some figures are just amazing, most look just like the proto-type/ promotional one. Their is some sites I use to make sure if the production one is as good before I buy to make sure I'm getting my monies worth. As I said it all comes down to it's appeal if it's a character I love I'll just get it and if I don't want it down the line I can always resale it.

To me it's fun to display and own a figure of my favorite character especially if the pose and detail is really good. One statue I passed on was pretty good but just didn't do it for me and it costed about 130 dollars. Their is another character from the same series and one of my favorite series and if they make it from the resin kit to a statue like the one before I'd buy it in a second no matter the price.

I'm at a point in my life I make good money and I save most of it so it gives me a lot of disposable income. Now it's better than my other hobby collecting and shooting guns now that really costs money.
Old 2009-05-02, 21:58   Link #1529
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
I have a pretty good anime store in my city, owner is very friendly, I usually pre-order figure with him. and he would hold something for me for 1 month or even more. right now i got Chouno Armored Ver., Saber Lily, Haruhi Extravaganza, Yoko hunter ver. on pre-order with the guy. He will let me know in advance if he is ordering certain figure with his supplier or not. I prefer buy figure in person than online, I can see the product and then decide, because sometimes released picture or prototype picture is different than finished goods.
I rely on some Japanese websites to get good pictures that aren't prototype pictures. Such as AkibaHobby.

idiffer, the reason I started collecting was because my hobbies changed. I used to collect computers and run various Distributed Computing applications. This was a wasteful hobby, where I purchased overpowered computers I didn't need to waste power 24/7/365. I moved from that hobby to collecting figures. At least they gain in value, though I suppose not for me because I took them out of the box.

Additionally it gives me something QUIET to decorate my room with, unlike computers and their whirring fans constantly annoying me.
Old 2009-05-03, 01:07   Link #1530
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
well, thanks for the reply. really.
so, generally...if you have 3 figurines then at some point you start to want more? or are there people who buy one and stop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens View Post
It varies from figure to figure. Some look better than others or this company is known to put out a better looking product. I have about 15 or so figures and most I payed way under retail. The last 3 I bought I pre-ordered, payed retail, and good thing I did they are hard to find now and worth a good penny.

I tend to stay away from the cheaper ones like the gashapons or the trading figures unless it's a series I really love and the price isn't bad.

I'm at a point in my life I make good money and I save most of it so it gives me a lot of disposable income. Now it's better than my other hobby collecting and shooting guns now that really costs money.
I started with Shunya's Mirei San. I wasn't into collecting figures until I started to visit Danny Choo's blog. I saw this figure and really liked it, so I started to collect them. It was slow at the beginning due to financial reasons. My second figure was Kureha from shinning tear, well, guess who to blame... Danny Choo lol... third one was Clare from claymore, because I loved the show and the character. After that things start to escalate. Even thou I am in school right now, I still have 2 jobs to pay all the bills and gave me enough disposable income.

There are different collector too. One that focuses on the show they like (Haruhi is the most clear example), some likes small trading figures, playable ones like Revoltech, Figma, Nendroid... and others like me and Mr. dfens... collect very very detailed figures...here is the picture of part of my collection..
Spoiler for collection:
Old 2009-05-03, 03:47   Link #1531
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
I moved from that hobby to collecting figures. At least they gain in value, though I suppose not for me because I took them out of the box.
Unless you only have high $$$ limited run figures, I would not think of them as an investment

.....even MiSB
Old 2009-05-03, 03:54   Link #1532
idiffer

^^i've gotta admit, it does look pretty cool when the're all together like that. and they even make things like Dark Saber...(i think its her)
Quote:
idiffer, the reason I started collecting was because my hobbies changed. I used to collect computers and run various Distributed Computing applications. This was a wasteful hobby, where I purchased overpowered computers I didn't need to waste power 24/7/365. I moved from that hobby to collecting figures.
yeah, i can imagine that...))
Old 2009-05-03, 16:05   Link #1533
dfens

For me it really started with my first purchase over 4 years ago I was and still am a big fan of Noir. Yamato had these 2 1/5 scale statues for 150 each. I didn't care I had to have them. But I waited too long and missed my chance. Then my a some miracle some guy on Ebay had a ton of them for sale and one of his auctions was a buy it now for 130 shipped for both. Turns out this was the second run intended for the US market from the US division of yamato. I bought it right on the spot. I'll never sale them.

One guy offered me 700 dollars for both double the orginal japanese price even though I didn't tell him how much I paid. Told him unless he offered me so much I can't refuse sorry not for sale.

Then over the years I pick up 1 or 2 50-70 dollar figures now I have about 15 or so probably more if you count the cheaper ones trading card ones.

All in all if I sold my entire collection for retail which I paid maybe about half that, I could get over 1500 dollars. Not bad but I'm not hard up for money.

I'll try to get some pics soon. Astrana I have the same case got tired of dusting so much. Except my Noir ones are in a seperate case since they weigh a ton being 1/5 scale polystone and the fact they are over 14 inches plus tall.

Sucks for me the 3 figures I have on order right now if they all ship at the same time which should be around July, is going to cost me over 400 dollars with shipping included.

http://hlj.com/product/NLI30015
http://hlj.com/product/NLI30013
http://hlj.com/product/SYU08094

As you can see I love figures that are packing heat or have some sort of sword/weapon.

For now I'm not interested in anymore figures which helps the wallet but if they make this one into a statue like they did before with another character same company and one of my all time favorites I'll buy it on the spot.

http://hlj.com/product/AMGGSF-003

I really need to open my Motoko Kusanagi but I'm affraid to take her out of the box, but I want to pose her so badly. http://hlj.com/product/MEDRAH-379
Old 2009-05-03, 19:31   Link #1534
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
Unless you only have high $$$ limited run figures, I would not think of them as an investment

.....even MiSB
I don't, it was just a comparison between computer hardware and anime figures. Computer hardware loses so much value so rapidly, where as most of the figures I've purchased tend to go for considerably more than I paid when sold on eBay.

One example, Good Smile Company's Tohsaka Rin and Berserker from February 2005 is no longer produced. I believe it went for ¥5800 brand new, which works out to approx $58 USD. The cheapest I could find this figure 4 years later was I think $90 USD, at 55% growth over 4 years that's a far better investment than my current mutual funds are. And remember, that was the cheapest I could find, it was a damaged box as well, mildly. The rest I found that claimed perfect condition were $165 USD or more. Making it a 185% increase, I would love to have investments that produced like that.

Regardless, I don't see them as an investment, just was making a comparison.
Old 2009-05-03, 21:24   Link #1535
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Regardless, I don't see them as an investment, just was making a comparison.
hehe I agree. Many figures are discountinued... Donne Anonime from Katsurik no Jango was about 80 CND, now the cheapest on ebay is 160. Same goes with many PVCs... too bad i take all mine out lol
Old 2009-05-03, 22:45   Link #1536
dfens

All my figures I carefully removed them from the boxes and stored them so I could re-box them and you wouldn't know it was opened. Besides most people desperate enough to buy them for more than retail are going to re-display it anyway. I don't know of many collectors that don't open them to look at them in person.
Old 2009-05-04, 04:44   Link #1537
Revan21

Quote:
I don't think someone would stop just like that, even if you actually got bored of watching anime.
For me it was nothing but Final Fantasy when I started my collection, the PlayArts action figures were not that expensive and despite the joints they still looked really great. Then after a while I moved on and started to spend more on more detailed figures from other series too.

It's certainly is a better invesment than to upgrade your computer every few months and play with the latest (and crappiest) video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens View Post
All my figures I carefully removed them from the boxes and stored them so I could re-box them and you wouldn't know it was opened. Besides most people desperate enough to buy them for more than retail are going to re-display it anyway. I don't know of many collectors that don't open them to look at them in person.
Same here (although I would never sell them), and the back of the boxes also make great decoration for the higher parts of my room
Old 2009-05-04, 14:43   Link #1538
idiffer

hehe, i just remembered...when i was little i adored beast wars transformer toys))) had tons of them, even one that a parents friend brought over from japan. i'd say they make good competition for anime figurines)
damn, all this talk is starting to make me want to buy a figurine...not good...
Old 2009-05-04, 16:24   Link #1539
Revan21

Quote:
hehe, i just remembered...when i was little i adored beast wars transformer toys))) had tons of them, even one that a parents friend brought over from japan. i'd say they make good competition for anime figurines)
I had G.I.Joe-figures, at least 60 of them and a dozen vehicles

Man...come to think of it, I was always collecting something
Old 2009-05-04, 18:00   Link #1540
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

If there is one set of anime figures I wish wasn't so...EXPENSIVE and elusive. It's the Max Factory Guyver figures.

First and only in existence, and they're practically out of reach to everyone.

Unless you're a millionaire.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote