AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-31, 19:16   Link #221
GoTz
Deleted

good luck buddy

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 20:29   Link #222
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I applied for the University of Michigan and the Lyman Briggs school of science (part of Michigan State). I hope I get in!
Yeah, I applied to Michigan, but I what I'm more worried about is my application to the University of Pennsylvania, which I submitted literally 2 minutes ago, I'm applying to a special program at Penn thats really selective (only 55 people a year) so I'm a little stressed right now. But good luck to everyone on their apps, I'll be really glad when I'm actually into some places and can slack off a little in school.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 21:19   Link #223
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I'm at Lehigh University and sometimes I wish to hit a start button and pause time. If the exams don't do you in, the homework most certainly WILL.
Old 2006-10-31, 21:35   Link #224
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well, as much as I enjoyed school with my friends, I hate the education systems in Singapore.

I won't go into why the education systems are bad, but I seriously look toward to a future where data is fed directly into brains.

I can agree with the dissatisfaction about Singapore's education system...

But somehow I think that quite a number of Singaporeans want that sort of thing. Even a fair number of the so-called 'leaders of tomorrow' (which are in the school I go to)... They're just happy and feel safer if there's something they can mug for rather than a real challenge that calls for something other than pure resilience. Of course it's not like I'm in a position to say I'm better than them or anthing, but sometimes I really can't help it when I just feel disgusted by their attitudes.
I'll have to accept it though, because there are a lot of people like that and that's the way the world is...

Frankly speaking, I thought the through train system would have at least changed some things by allowing for more time to do interesting things in lieu of mugging for the O levels, but it went largely unappreciated - to the point where some were hating it.

Currently though at this stage we're back to the traditional count-everything-on-one exam format which everyone is fitting back into quite snugly. Well, I guess the A-levels are like that... screw up that one paper and it's tough luck for you kid.

Oh well... and then there's this can of worms called Project Work which has brought out the worst of the diehard muggers. Refuse to work with others, and absolutely fail at oral presentation. Way to go... It's amusing to note that students from so-called "lesser" JCs actually do a lot better at this subject than the so-called brainier and brighter students.

OK, that's enough cynicism and useless complaining from me, I'll go hide in another thread now :P (And I'll be damned if C.A. was actually unhappy with the whole through-train/PW/'creative thinking' stance the Big Guys are trying to take now)
Old 2006-10-31, 21:50   Link #225
ImClueless
Rawr

I met a Singaporean exchange student at my uni last year here in Canada ( I think he said he was attending SNU). Anyway he said that the university experience was pretty much the same. Maybe a bit more relaxed in Canada, but pretty similar. We were in an tough upper level class too (Developmental Biology) so its not like the class is full of stoned hippies (like some of the elective conservation classes are). I have my share of gripes about the education I have almost completed, but what exactly is the widespread discontent within Singapore's education system about?
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 05:11   Link #226
slayer
essense

Send a message via MSN to slayer
you guys shouldn't really worry too much on the omfg am i gonna get accepted thing.. as long as you don't screw your highschool grades you're almost for sure you're going to get accepted. well from the experience of Canadian uni..
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 17:40   Link #227
mit7059

AWSOME!! I think I'm happier than I've ever been. I just got accepted to UPenn's Engineering school. Yay for me.

Old 2006-12-14, 17:50   Link #228
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
AWSOME!! I think I'm happier than I've ever been. I just got accepted to UPenn's Engineering school. Yay for me.
want a cookie with that? ^_^ congratz dude

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 20:39   Link #229
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
how many off you think school is ok or crap they make you do lesons you dont like and some you like prsonaly ifucking hate school
I hated highschool . . . I was the outcast . . .not becasue I wanted to be but there was no room for an Anime/Digital Program person like myself . . . all the schools I have been to were sports and nothing else really . . . I was left out . .

College ROCKS . . .I am getting my Bachelor's Degree in Media arts and Animation . .I LOVE IT

Even though school taught me things . . .socially and emotionally I tore me to peicies . . . I still have a bitter attitude towards my highschool days.
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 12:46   Link #230
Ending

I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news are that I'm finally about to graduate. Just three or four courses left and then you can call me "Master", industrial economist, IT engineer, and proceed to worship me in the nearest altar.

The bad news are that you still have several years to go before reaching my kind of immortality. Wait... That's good news too!
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 07:58   Link #231
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
I'm in my first year at UWO (Western Ontario) and gotta say that exams have been going bad. I'm the type of guy that basically got through HS doing very little work and basically winging/holding off everything till the last possible moment. This obviously doesn't work in Uni and I'm getting killed because I cant motivate myself to do work. I've got a Math exam today at 2pm and I've been up all night doing NOTHING. The plan was to study all night + all morning (after continually failing to force myself to study earlier this week) and I ended up staying up all night watching TV and screwing around on the Internet. Now I've got a few hours to try and review a shitload of Calculus which prob. wsont go over too well. I'm planning on chilling throughout the break and then doing a complete 180 once school starts again in January - I'm going to need to buckle down and finish the year strong or else. Problem is that I've been telling myself that I'm going to start "trying" for like the past 3 years of HS and it hasn't worked - although this time I dont see it as much of a choice.
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 10:20   Link #232
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
(I think he said he was attending SNU). I have my share of gripes about the education I have almost completed, but what exactly is the widespread discontent within Singapore's education system about?
That's SMU. Singapore Management University. /edit Unless you meant NUS.

With regard to Singapore’s education the main complaint of many was creative-thinking skills not being an integral, or even present, part of the curriculum. True, much improvement has been made (with, yes, Project Work, Practicals, and some unique Geog teachers etc.) since then, but still, today, one notices that the traditional exam format still makes up the majority of the final marks (Traditional system = taking in data and then throwing it back up, barely changed, onto the paper). I found this to be true even in Polytechnic; which according to everyone was supposed to be different – more application-based hmph! Well, I guess I shouldn't be one to gripe because mugging and throwing up is what I do best.

Simple example. I heard from physics233 that in the Philippines you have to learn, understand, the principles behind Calculus. Not so in Singapore. Here, you’re given a formula, shown how to apply it, and wa-la~! With more practice in application, you're ready for the test! Very little focus is given on the principles behind it in class, even if they are included in the textbook.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 10:21   Link #233
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Exams will start on January 15.
Everything went fine until 3 weeks ago. A sad event made had me to go home for a week and the next 2 weeks I easily lost my my concentration and I got very easily distracted. Although it's understandable since what happened, it really frustrates me... trying to catch up, staying up late at night trying to, but in vain or with little improvement. Being to tired next day to go on. Grrrr... really annoying

This weekend and next week will be used to try catching up with everything.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 11:57   Link #234
Ending

If you can't do it today, you can't do it tomorrow, so why postpone it or do it at all?

Meaning: you lazy bums should read/do one chapter today, second tomorrow, third after that, and so on. Although, I have to say, I managed to get through most it without reading too much. A few glances at the key-spots and some thinking seems to be enough. Math is a real motivation-killer, though.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 12:43   Link #235
mit7059

I do as little homework as is humanly possible, somehow I made it through AP US last year without doing any of the reading - go figure. But I'm seriously afraid of how my lack of work ethic is going to play in college.

Old 2006-12-16, 13:37   Link #236
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Major in business or political science. That's what all the slackers do ;O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 23:36   Link #237
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Ugh. My run of finals starts tomorrow, and I've barely studied. Amusingly, it's been a ritual of mine to come out of hibernation and post here every exam season ^^.

Good luck to everyone else going thru these ;d
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 00:34   Link #238
Knightmare213

I'm a full-time student at University of Toronto of St. George Campus (one of three campuses), and I'm an English major and soon-to-be minoring in Italian Studies and Drama.

The reason why I'm planning for two additional minors is because I'm chasing an Honours' Degree, a specific degree I need to enroll in the Teachers' College.

Yes, I want to be an English/Drama teacher, and to be fluent in Italian since half of my mother's side speaks Italian and are actual Italians.

I'm on a month-long break after finishing two of my mid-term exams and after writing four 1,500-word essays consecutively, week after week.

With no schools on Tuesdays and only one-hour lecture on Wednesdays, I can spread my time out for work really well with some playing time. You won't be seeing me on World of Warcraft. Not only because I don't have a copy of my own nor an account, but I don't take risks with additive games for me to ruin my final phase of my academic career.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 04:38   Link #239
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Schools over! (meaning im out of school)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 06:58   Link #240
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
I do as little homework as is humanly possible, somehow I made it through AP US last year without doing any of the reading - go figure. But I'm seriously afraid of how my lack of work ethic is going to play in college.
Let's just say that you'll look back on high school as a very VERY easy time. You better learn to study on your own, because the few exams during the semester+final count for most of your grade! And on TOP of that, you still have moderate to difficult homeworks due once to several times a week to keep you busy. Multiply that across four to six classes, and the fact that you're shelling out some MAJOR cash each year for college, and that with this education you're going to have to go out in the world and become a working adult (or continue with master's/Ph. D) and you've got the idea.

Let's just say that as fun as getting good grades is here at Lehigh, IT'S HARD

And yeah, business or poli sci majors=no thx. I stayed away from business because it didn't get enough math.