AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-15, 15:41   Link #1
PILMAN

Gun Owners?

Anyone here own firearms? I own a H&K USP .45 handgun and a Israeli made Galil in .223

Probably get a Mossberg 590 shotgun and a Yugoslavian SKS next.

And heres the Galil

Old 2007-04-15, 16:41   Link #2
Red Herring
SPARTANS

I want an AK-47. Not for home defense or anything but I worship that rifle.

Man I haven't been out shooting for a while. I used to out to the desert to pop some caps but you cant now the five oh will bust your ass. I dont like shooting ranges. One of these mornings I'll have to go out at like 4am way out in the boonies and let off some rounds.
Old 2007-04-15, 19:50   Link #3
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Those look very nice!

Honestly, I'm not enthused with HKs. I'll admit that I've never shot one, but holding one I just can't imagine that it shoots nice enough to make up for being so awkward and so EXPENSIVE.

Right now, although I use any of my father's guns whenever the mood strikes me, I only have one gun to my name. The finest piece of aluminum and steel that 1950s Communist Hungary had to offer: The PA-63. It was based on the Walter PP, which is the slightly-bigger brother of the PPK that became famous as the "Bond pistol".

Stock, this is one of sorriest pistols on the planet, with a trigger pull of EIGHTEEN POUNDS and a horrible recoil from the blowback action letting the slide slam into the frame upon firing. A quick spring replacement fixed those right up, and now it's an incredibly sweet shooter, especially considering how cheap it can be had. You'll find no better value! Until you start shooting, that is, because the 9x18mm Makarov ammunition is hard to come by these days. A few places still make it, but whether practice or use ammunition, I have to special-order it, which costs a fair penny.

I've been told, though, that *gasp* guns kill people, so to make sure mine doesn't run off and do any killing when I'm not around, I carry it with me.

Actually, I received the pistol on "permanent loan" from my father when I started on the process of receiving my concealed carry permit. For that purpose I put on some slim-line grips that also happen to have a great texture that's easy to hold on to wet or dry. You'll also note the grip tape on the front strap (sadly, it wouldn't stay on the back strap).

Eventually, I'll instead carry a nice 1911 rig, which is easier to find ammunition for and more to my taste. To those I'll add an AR-15, a M1, an AK-47, an SKS, and some form of Remington 870 to round out my collection.

One at a time, though!
Old 2007-04-15, 19:59   Link #4
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Man I haven't been out shooting for a while. I used to out to the desert to pop some caps but you cant now the five oh will bust your ass. I dont like shooting ranges. One of these mornings I'll have to go out at like 4am way out in the boonies and let off some rounds.
I'll agree with you on the shooting range bit. At the moment that's all I have as an option.

I miss being at home on my own land where I could shoot when and where I pleased! Even better, being in the country, the neighbors (far away as they are, thank God) are all shooters, too, so I know I won't have a hoplophobe cause problems because they're more scared of my gun than they are their far more dangerous kitchen knives and garden tools.
Old 2007-04-15, 20:05   Link #5
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Those look very nice!
I've been told, though, that *gasp* guns kill people, so to make sure mine doesn't run off and do any killing when I'm not around, I carry it with me.
guns dont kill ppl, people kill people
Old 2007-04-15, 21:07   Link #6
nooc

...and guns are what makes it possible. Any excuses are just stupid, PERIOD.
Old 2007-04-15, 21:19   Link #7
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooc View Post
...and guns are what makes it possible. Any excuses are just stupid, PERIOD.
Give me a break. Any peice of crap laying around is a potential weapon to kill with...people thinks guns are exceptional but really they arent.
Old 2007-04-15, 21:23   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Give me a break. Any peice of crap laying around is a potential weapon to kill with...people thinks guns are exceptional but really they arent.
The main difference is that guns are actually made to kill, while the other pieces of crap lying around aren't.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-15, 21:57   Link #9
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The main difference is that guns are actually made to kill, while the other pieces of crap lying around aren't.
This is true, but (and I don't ask to be confrontational) what practical difference does that make?

There are people on this planet who intend to do harm to others, and will do so no matter what implement they can or cannot use, and the innocent have only the choices of arming themselves or potentially being victims.

A gun is really not a more gruesome weapon than any other piece of crap lying around--in many cases, less so. The difference this: With any other weapon, any one who is larger and more aggressive (as any one who illegitimately wishes to harm or oppress another tends to be) has a severe advantage, and in encounters with more than two people, the larger group can more easily overwhelm the smaller. With a gun, though, the small and weak can fight on the same level as the large and the strong, and a small group can more easily and safely fend off a larger group.

Firearms are simply the most effective way of preventing those who are stronger as well as evil and/or deranged from ruling over or otherwise taking advantage of the weak. Finland and Switzerland are good examples, where there is virtually no worry of military action in the country and the murder rate is very, very low... and the household firearm ownership rate is near 100%.
Old 2007-04-15, 22:52   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Someone I knew this thread would get hijacked when the OP was just asking if there were any gun owners and what kind they had.....

I own several firearms (as does most of my family and friends). My favorite is my Glock 21 (.45), my wife uses a Glock 19 (9mm). We have a Mossberg customized shotgun for home defense. A few others are about but those are our most favored.

In my jurisdiction, we've long had concealed carry for law-abiding citizens (with some training)... personally, I'd like to see them increase the training requirements though.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:08   Link #11
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Yeah, I'd like to see the gun ownership debate nonsense on the downlow. That isn't what the thread is for and it is futile anyway. I cant post pics because I lack a digicam, but I'm the owner of a Heckler & Koch USP Compact a Colt 1911. I also have two Arisaka 99 rifles(Japanese WW2) one with fixed bayonet. Sometimes I scare people by saying they are haunted. I'm looking for a Karabiner 98k for my collection.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:09   Link #12
shiro83

I don't own a gun but during my military days, I used a M-16:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

It is rather lightweight.
Old 2007-04-16, 12:07   Link #13
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I will never have a real gun at home. It's scary and when someone gets into my home to steal, rape of whatever, that person is probably more determined to kill me than I'd kill him... And if I've gun, I could end up dead immediately.

Also, in my country the victims of violent robbery etc get more into trouble at court when shooting a thief out of self-defense than the thief shooting you to kill you.

I've a Tokyo Marui Glock 19
The worst thing that can happen with it is a bruise when shooting at someone from close range. As for the rest, I keep the guns I like in my PC games.

On the other hand I'd like to have a real Katana
They are really magnificent pieces of art, although very lethal as well, which makes my above speech sound hypocrite >_<
Old 2007-04-16, 12:18   Link #14
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
On the other hand I'd like to have a real Katana
They are really magnificent pieces of art, although very lethal as well, which makes my above speech sound hypocrite >_<
I don't know what it's like where you're from, but most swords that they sell do not have sharp edges. While there is a point to owning a working firearm, I can't see any reason why someone would need an actual working sword.

My wife and I were around guns all the time growing up (my father is a policeman and makes his own bullets, as well as being ex-military and her father is a game warden as well as ex-military). I owned guns (that were kept at my father's house) and so did she. Weirdly though, we've never actually owned any since we've moved in together (a decade ago now) - I guess we've just never really thought about it one way or the other? Neither of us is particularly fond of hunting (outside does not go well in Texas in the summer, and even in the spring and fall most years), maybe that's why.
Old 2007-04-16, 13:09   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yes.. in Texas the best time to play golf is in December (or hunt, mow the yard, stand outside, etc)

Being a long time re-enactment (SCA, Renfaire, sword choreography for plays) nerd, there are locations that will sell battle-capable swords -- but they do not arrive sharpened (though they're quite nasty enough to cleave things simply with enough velocity).

As far as japanese or asian swords.... 90% of anything you look at is crap (display only). A modern 'capable' katana or dashi will run $500-$2000 and higher if you want decorative froufrou. If you are lucky enough to have an antique - you're immediately running into the $10000-ashighasyoucanstand range.

Frankly, a sword is a good deal more difficult to wield in close quarters (try swinging one in a hallway or entry), which is why shortswords and bowie knives are more suitable for home self defense.

As Syaoran properly notes, check the rules in your jurisdiction VERY carefully before acquiring or owning any designated weapon (hell, New York is trying to ban baseball bats... d'oh). If you don't like the rules, you can try to change them if your jurisdiction is amenable to a political process.
Outside of that... ... that would be a very different forum discussion

For self-defense, use what you're most comfortable with... if guns scare you and you can't get over that, then by all means don't own one.
Old 2007-04-16, 13:24   Link #16
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Kind of a bad time to have a gun thread on the day of the worst school shooting in US history.
Old 2007-04-16, 13:43   Link #17
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I just saw it a moment ago when checking the 7PM news on the net O.o
Do they already know if it was a student or random insane person?

Now, that's also a reason why I'm not to keen on people owning guns. It's something that only law enforcement and army should have.

As for the katana. I've probably won't be able to use one either. I wouldn't even be able to knock someone out during an ordinary street fight. I'm always afraid I might hit harder than intended.
I've only fought once when I was still in high school and it ended with me having two broken fingers and the other kid having a broken nose. I've never fought again since.

It's not unrealistic that a perfectly sane person who's very friendly and peaceful might one day go on a rampage killing his/her family or random people in the street when owning a gun, even if it's only for self defense and locked in a safe, because of stress, depression, sadness or another reason.
Old 2007-04-16, 13:54   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Some of the things in America are really beyond belief... and the consequences really speak for themselvs. Kind of makes you wonder if total freedom is really what's good for the world.

I hate guns.
I say the people that own them 'for self defence' are sikos, either totaly insecure or power-addicts.
Why do you people need guns for anyway??...
Old 2007-04-16, 13:54   Link #19
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikko_s View Post
Kind of a bad time to have a gun thread on the day of the worst school shooting in US history.
This thread started before the shootings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
I just saw it a moment ago when checking the 7PM news on the net O.o
Do they already know if it was a student or random insane person?

Now, that's also a reason why I'm not to keen on people owning guns. It's something that only law enforcement and army should have.

As for the katana. I've probably won't be able to use one either. I wouldn't even be able to knock someone out during an ordinary street fight. I'm always afraid I might hit harder than intended.
I've only fought once when I was still in high school and it ended with me having two broken fingers and the other kid having a broken nose. I've never fought again since.

It's not unrealistic that a perfectly sane person who's very friendly and peaceful might one day go on a rampage killing his/her family or random people in the street when owning a gun, even if it's only for self defense and locked in a safe, because of stress, depression, sadness or another reason.
I have to disagree with the idea that only law enforcement and military should have weapons. An oridinary citizen with a weapon could have STOPPED the aggressor.

It's true that even the least expected people can suddenly prove to be unstable and develop violent tendencies. The only reason more people don't, however, is fear of the consequences. When such a person KNOWS that their victims will not, or cannot, fight back, then they feel free to perpetrate their crimes. The victims can only pray that law enforcement will come to save them.

Sadly, many people died today because of the simple facts that law enforcement cannot be omnipresent and they were denied the tools to defend themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Some of the things in America are really beyond belief... and the consequences really speak for themselvs. Kind of makes you wonder if total freedom is really what's good for the world.

I hate guns.
I say the people that own them 'for self defence' are sikos, either totaly insecure or power-addicts.
Why do you people need guns for anyway??...
We need them to defend ourselves and prevent tragedies like these. How does self-defence make a person a "sicko", insecure, or a power-addict?
Old 2007-04-16, 13:56   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Syaoran -- the problem is, the *wrong* people will *always* have guns. The police and the army will *rarely* be in the right place and the right time. This incident might have been much smaller if one person had had the ability to shoot back.

This guy was basically a slow-motion suicide bomber ... the question is who was around him while he built up to this and what is it going to take for people to become more forceful about pre-empting these guys before they get to that point? If not a gun.. then a bomb (easily made), a car (driven through a market), people are remarkably creative when it comes to mayhem.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "yeah, he talked about killing people for weeks and showed me all his weapons, bombs, garden tools .... I thought he was just blowing smoke." after similar events.