AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-21, 00:58   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well lets think of what else they had her doing. Her primary task seemed to be the early warning radar operator. She sometimes washed clothing (though that might have been a rotational duty for when they were on their own in the second season), She served refreshments during a time of stress as well as plan social activities when there was a need. She was in charge of the crew's mental health (the doctor was in charge of physical health). When they got new crew members in the third season she was tasked to make sure they fit into their new assignment and being sure everyone was prepared for their first space warp. She was in charge (department head) of all the service staff related to the crew needs (in charge of the cooking group, life support, those sorts of thing, though didn't preform those tasks herself in most cases). She was an excellent shot with a pistol though she rarely used that skill in combat as she was also the ship's nurse for most of their voyages. She usually was only needed as a nurse for surgery, or as the field medic (or if the doctor was too sauced to practise medicine...or perhaps that is not sauced enough to practise medicine). She was something of a all around knowledge person. Well educated. Not an expert in any field that I recall, but able to preform well at just about any task. She is a pilot as well (though only in the live action movie was she a combat pilot).

She's also the first of the crew recruited by the Captain that we are aware, as she beat the other main characters to the ship...somehow.

And remember nearly all these tasks are being done in a story written in the 1970s and every early 1980s, in Japan.

Just thought of something: I wonder...with the new females in the crew, and the posibility that some of the younger people have never seen this show before....if their will be shipping wars over Yuki or the other women? The traditional one is the Shima-Mori-Kodai triangle. I wonder what will happen this time around.
Old 2012-02-21, 09:00   Link #62
Skane
Anime Snark

I find it a tad amusing that people are playing the "Who Will Die?" game when, if you remember the original series, the game should be, "Who Will Live?"

Cheers.
Old 2012-02-21, 09:13   Link #63
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well lets think of what else they had her doing. Her primary task seemed to be the early warning radar operator. She sometimes washed clothing (though that might have been a rotational duty for when they were on their own in the second season), She served refreshments during a time of stress as well as plan social activities when there was a need. She was in charge of the crew's mental health (the doctor was in charge of physical health). When they got new crew members in the third season she was tasked to make sure they fit into their new assignment and being sure everyone was prepared for their first space warp. She was in charge (department head) of all the service staff related to the crew needs (in charge of the cooking group, life support, those sorts of thing, though didn't preform those tasks herself in most cases). She was an excellent shot with a pistol though she rarely used that skill in combat as she was also the ship's nurse for most of their voyages. She usually was only needed as a nurse for surgery, or as the field medic (or if the doctor was too sauced to practise medicine...or perhaps that is not sauced enough to practise medicine). She was something of a all around knowledge person. Well educated. Not an expert in any field that I recall, but able to preform well at just about any task. She is a pilot as well (though only in the live action movie was she a combat pilot).

She's also the first of the crew recruited by the Captain that we are aware, as she beat the other main characters to the ship...somehow.

And remember nearly all these tasks are being done in a story written in the 1970s and every early 1980s, in Japan.
It seems they just sorta used Yuki to do whatever they wanted her to do as long as it wasn't overtly combat related
Quote:
Just thought of something: I wonder...with the new females in the crew, and the posibility that some of the younger people have never seen this show before....if their will be shipping wars over Yuki or the other women? The traditional one is the Shima-Mori-Kodai triangle. I wonder what will happen this time around.
It should be really amusing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I find it a tad amusing that people are playing the "Who Will Die?" game when, if you remember the original series, the game should be, "Who Will Live?"

Cheers.
Oh I know THAT...but at least theoretically these other people have a CHANCE to live.

This guy? Zero chance. He'll die. He won't come out of this alive at all.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 12:53   Link #64
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seeing that they are introducing later film characters early suggests to me that at least in the back of their minds they intend to do more than the first season. And hopefully they will get enough of a positive responce from this series to warrent continuing on with the remake. At least the second season. Its plot was a lot tighter than the first seasons and had a lot of action and drama. That and I really want to see the Earth Fleet of 2201 in action. Especially Battleship Andromeda.

Though I hope that if they do get to redo those battle scenes, they at least make an effort to make them looks like ships from both sides are being effective at the same time...rather than switching which side is being effective (example: Early on the Earth fleet fires on the Cometine ships..miss...the Cometines them return fire destroying the Earth ships...while seemingly not under fire anymore. Later the Earth fleet is attacked and being destroyed without being able to return fire (they are outranged). Later still the Earth fleet fires on the Cometines and starts wiping them out without getting shot at in return.) I don't think there is any instance in the series were both sides are firing there weapons and being effective like you would normally see in a fleet action.

The visuals of the Battle of Pluto we see in the trailer gives me a slight hope that they would be able to pull off the second season's Battle at Saturn off well, cause you can see both sides in combat and being effective...well at least I hope some other Earth ships can destroy the Gamilons at shorter ranges aside from Kodai's bother's ship. Because at least we see they are still fighting, even as they get picked off by the Gamilons.

After the second season they can take things in a number of directions based on what they want to do, as the stuff after the second season is less known, and structured differently.

----------------------------------------------------
Poking around:

The kid's name is Tōru Hoshina - CV: Motoki Takagi
His boss is Shinya Itō - CV: Toshihiko Seki

I do not recall them from any earlier production.

However I finally recognize the guy just before them on the list:
Hajime Hirata - CV: Fumihide Ise
This was one of the kitchen staff in the third season. Called "Andy Hardy" in the dub. No relation to the other Hardy (fighter pilot).

There is the easy to spot Sukeharu Yabu - CV: Cho. The younger heavy set engineer. He was known as "Sparks" in the dub.

The tall engineer with the stern look is Shō Yamazaki - CV: Hiroshi Tsuchida.
He is was only known as "Chief" in the third season dub, and was introduced as the new Chief Engineer during the third film.

The long haired pilot is named Hiroki Shinohara - CV: Daisuke Hirakawa. Never see him before.
I thought his was Akira Yamamoto, but obviously Akira Yamamoto is a woman now..the short whitish haired one with a Rie Tanaka voice.

The pilot with the short hair and scar over his eye is Saburō Katō - CV: Yoshimasa Hosoya. He is well known as "Conroy" in the dub.

ANN has more characters and their voices listed, but a few I don't recognize. Others I do recognize.
And one I think I recognize, but the name is slightly different.

I think we will see both of the other old captains in this series: Ryū Hijikata - CV: Unshou Ishizuka (Captain Gideon) who we saw for sure in the trailer, and Captain Yamanami, who I think they changed his name because his original voice actor died last year. So I think Osamu Yamaminami - CV: Masashi Ebara is the new version of Keisuke Yamanami - CV: Osamu Kobayashi. I could be wrong because I've not found this character's sheet so far.

Still no listing for Dessler's voice.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-21 at 14:36. Reason: Character details and corrections
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 14:03   Link #65
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That mainly comes down to bad action series tropes where large scale combat gets simplified into simplistic curbstomps since the creators are lazy/on a low budget, and yes. It really annoys me how it's often a staple of action sequences in anime and western movies.

Also Ithekro? For the love of god. PLEASE USE PARAGRAPHS! There's no reason to have a 300 word chunk of text on an internet forum.
Old 2012-02-21, 14:17   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Working on it. Since it didn't seem like anyone had posted I just spent time looking up names and such to fill in the knowledge gaps that are bound to happen when one cannot read Japanese effectively. (Fortunately the Japanese used English for their image file names).

As someone that plays the Star Blazers table top space combat game since about 1999, this series has potential to answer some of the random mechanics questions that the original series didn't answer (particularly now that we see Earth energy weapons bouncing and then bending around Gamilon warships in the first battle). Having played as recently as last Saturday.

There are 46 days left....

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-21 at 18:02.
Old 2012-02-21, 21:29   Link #67
YF19EX

I have been thoroughly enjoying the resurgence Yamato has been having over the last 2 years or so. To me its special because it was the first anime I ever watched before (in kindergarten on Channel 36). In a way it still has not lost its touch. The trailer runs so many ques from the original yet offering a newer generation of what made it special. What I enjoy seeing is the technical details within the anime such as ships, mechanics etc. The extreme details seem to be lost in many mecha anime these days. Plus it will be nice to have a proper space opera again.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 22:11   Link #68
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Channel 36? Same here! KICU.

Did you go to school in Bay Area?
Old 2012-02-21, 22:29   Link #69
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
As someone that plays the Star Blazers table top space combat game since about 1999, this series has potential to answer some of the random mechanics questions that the original series didn't answer (particularly now that we see Earth energy weapons bouncing and then bending around Gamilon warships in the first battle). Having played as recently as last Saturday.

That Gamilon ship's having deflective screens like that IS a nice little addition. In the original series they just kinda impacted and did nothing,so it was slightly confusing. This makes the technological disparity between the Star Force and the Gamilon more obvious.

Is that game considered even remotely canonical in terms of stats or anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
I have been thoroughly enjoying the resurgence Yamato has been having over the last 2 years or so. To me its special because it was the first anime I ever watched before (in kindergarten on Channel 36). In a way it still has not lost its touch. The trailer runs so many ques from the original yet offering a newer generation of what made it special. What I enjoy seeing is the technical details within the anime such as ships, mechanics etc. The extreme details seem to be lost in many mecha anime these days. Plus it will be nice to have a proper space opera again.
Yeah. I REALLY miss those hyper technically detailed 80's and early 90's animation. I don't think mecha shows today are as interested in pursuing that kind of stuff anymore.
Old 2012-02-21, 22:53   Link #70
YF19EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Channel 36? Same here! KICU.

Did you go to school in Bay Area?
Yep! Then KBHK Channel 44 showed Robotech during my middle school days. I loved 80s and 90s mecha anime. The drawing details of those era's have not been replicated really since. Gundam Unicorn is as close at is has come in recent years. Modern mecha anime is too flat and static.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 23:30   Link #71
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So it was Channel 36. I could never remember which station it was on in the mornings around 1980 and 1981.

As for the game, as far as I know it is since the stats are suppose to be from Japanese sources like the Roman Albums. The class names may or may not be canon. But I think the Japanese are even using the Star Blazers EDF Techical Manual for some of their own information, and some of them have been using those as the class names.

Power of the weapons and stuff is of course approximated to simulate how things look in the show. For example: In their first encounter with the Comet Empire's battleships, Yamato can destroy one at long range with two turrets worth of Shock Cannon fire. This translates to 6 points of damage from each battery for 12 points of damage. A Cometine Battleship has 126 hull boxes...but 12 boxes per row, with a critical hit at the end of each row. There is a 4% chance that a ship will explode from a critical hit. Yamato hits the critical spots every time she fires in the show.

However things like the Wave Motion Gun are toned down a bit. I guess in playtesting the idea that Yamato could basically destroy the other side of the table with one shot seemed imbalanced. She can still put out a decent amount of damage with it, ranging form 34 points of damage to 70 points of damage. The later versions have spread effects to cover additional hexes and can do more damage (Andromada does between 66 and 120 points of damage and can effect three additional hexes).

The longest and still more fustrating part of the game is missile fire...something that didn't happen all that often in the original show in ship to ship engagements. Since it is: choose and fire missiles: defend against missiles, results of missile attack...it can take up to a hour to resolve all the missile fire for one turn if everyone fires missiles and decides to try to shoot them down.

Some of us have been attempting to make a quicker resolution version of the missile rules and have managed to get large missile actions down to 30 minutes, but it favors the defense as with the new system, they cannot miss completely. We take all their possible defensive fire damage and translate that to a number of dice that can at most equal that number if one rolled the maximum possible numbers on those dice. Using the least amount of dice possible as the minimum amount of damage you can put out is the number of dice used rolling all ones. (If you had a max defensive number of say 78, you would use 3 twenty sided dice, 1 twelve side die, and 1 six sided die...if you have those avalible.) Whatever number you roll is the amount of missiles knocked out. (There are small range modifiers)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-21 at 23:53.
Old 2012-02-22, 07:53   Link #72
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Yep! Then KBHK Channel 44 showed Robotech during my middle school days. I loved 80s and 90s mecha anime. The drawing details of those era's have not been replicated really since. Gundam Unicorn is as close at is has come in recent years. Modern mecha anime is too flat and static.
Even with Gundam Unicorn...I just haven't been liking it that much. All the designs seem to shiny for me. My main exposure to the Universal century Gundam series has been a bit of the original series, 08th MS team and War in a Pocket. All the other stuff has come off as to much like Super Robot stuff for my taste (like Unicorns crazy transformations), without having any of the fun/craziness of a genuine super robot show (like G-Gundam).

This is why this show has got me so interested. It's the first military/sci-fi show out in awhile that doesn't feel overly flashy like allot of recent Mech shows are, and has allot of cool highly detailed retro technical details and designs.
Old 2012-02-24, 02:23   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am way too excited about this show. It is like a piece of your childhood coming back...but also a part of my college days as I didn't start playing the game until college.

My mother had saved a bunch of my art and elementary school stuff for some reason. She found some of it while cleaning and I could recognized my extremely crude drawings of "Argo" verses the Comet Empire.

In High School I had pretty much forgotten about the series. Save in the shower once my mind started playing the theme song...and it looped because I couldn't remember how it ended. It bothered me that I had this song in my head with limited images just I could not remember what it was. Then at a Suncoast...there was the first few VHS releases of Star Blazers by Voyager Entertainment. Then I remembered it fully.

Now it will be back again...but still...I have to wait 44 more days plus however long it takes after it is released to see it.
Old 2012-02-25, 11:39   Link #74
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

ah nostalgic excitement something I am completely unfamiliar with since I grew up only somewhat familiar with the Yamato series.

Though I have to ask Ithekro. Is there any particular reason why you're so excited about THIS Yamato series in particular? Haven't there been allot of Yamato remakes/re-imaginings over the years? I'll admit, the main reason I'm interested in this one is because is has a bit of a divergent aesthetic compared to the old series while still being the same thing. (all the designs look retro and old timey...but really crisp and up to date).

Just curious.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-02-25 at 11:51.
Old 2012-02-25, 12:56   Link #75
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so is this remake, reboot or sequel

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 16:39   Link #76
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

What's the difference between a remake and a reboot

(It's NOT a sequel though)
Old 2012-02-25, 17:16   Link #77
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Remake = nearly exactly same thing but with better animation

Reboot = have same key point like theme and character but different execution

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 18:22   Link #78
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

In that case it'd probably qualify as a reboot. Considering it has new characters and the like but they seem to have the same basic outline for Season 1.
Old 2012-02-26, 01:41   Link #79
GundamFan0083

Not sure if this has been posted here yet or not, but, Starblazers.com has a two part write up about the new series.

Part 1: http://www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=647

Part 2: http://www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=665

Not sure if Voyager ENT will try to acquire the new series and dub it or not, but it would sure be nice if a professional dubbing studio did.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Bosh as Susumu Kodai, and Yuri Lowenthal as Daisuke Shima.
Kate Higgins would do Yuki Mori justice IMHO as well.
Starsha...hmmm....not sure about that one.

Dessler, would have to be smooth like Crispin Freeman or Michael Kopsa.
For Saburo Kato, gotta be Steve Blum. He's got the "jet-jockey" voice if I've ever heard one.
For Admiral Okita I'd use Michael Dobson.
Old 2012-02-26, 08:34   Link #80
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I just noticed several things looking at those links.

New bridge is FAR more compact. The guys in the front don't have to run a marathon to get to the other side of the room, and the captains decadent throne is only about a third it's original size. It seems like they're trying to be a bit more practical.

Also, it's fuzzy, but you can clearly see Akira wearing the Black Tiger squadron outfit.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato