AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-05-02, 22:09   Link #21
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Why go through all the work to set-up a mystery and attempt at misunderstanding only to spoil everything in the preview for the next episode? *shakes head*

Natori-san is a mysterious person. I wonder if what we're seeing is truly him or he's just a very, very good actor? It'll be a completely surprising twist if he ends up betraying Natsume in the end....a very sad twist, though.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 22:37   Link #22
BPD Renegade

^I'm getting a bad vibe from him as well. Maybe he won't betray Natsume, but this episode raised some suspicion that he may not be as nice a guy as he portrays himself to be. It did seem suspicious that some of the frames purposely avoided showing his entire face after he walked in on the Book of Friends reveal.

As for the episode itself, it was an interesting topic. We get a lot of stories about how fleeting the bonds between the two worlds are, but in this case, we have familiars who are bound to their exorcists and are forced to watch them die all the while being unable to interact with them. At least in Taki's case last season, as well as in the other stories, the youkai/ayakashi have the ability to leave and move on or stay of their own volition.

Ep 3: Got a good, long chuckle from the last scene. Also, Natsume's always so polite towards other humans, it was nice to see him break out of that shell and show his annoyed and rude side to Shibata instead of hiding his true feelings.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-03, 01:08   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Why go through all the work to set-up a mystery and attempt at misunderstanding only to spoil everything in the preview for the next episode? *shakes head*

Natori-san is a mysterious person. I wonder if what we're seeing is truly him or he's just a very, very good actor? It'll be a completely surprising twist if he ends up betraying Natsume in the end....a very sad twist, though.
I've just given up on watching previews for shows. It rarely ever does me any good outside of frustratingly spoiling things.

It's hard to say with Natori, but I want to believe in him. The most serious aspect of this I'd like simply be Natsume deciding not to burden Natori with the specifics about the book of friends. That's just a heavy secret to keep for someone heavily involved in the exorcist world.

I could see a betrayal coming as a huge test for Natsume's character development. Someone who has tried so darn hard to expand his circle of trust as far as he has.

But at this point I'll keep the faith going. We've come this far with Natori being a good guy, I'd like it to keep going .
Old 2017-05-04, 09:38   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can't imagine Natori betraying Natsume, ever. He might have hated youkai when he first appeared, but he doesn't harbor such feelings anymore (at the very least, they're not as strong), and he isn't the power hungry type either. He obviously heard the line about the book of friends but the reason he keeps quiet is because he wants Natsume to tell him himself when he is ready, nothing more.
Old 2017-05-04, 10:12   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't see Natori betraying Natsume either. If anything is being set up here, it might be a case where Natsume feels betrayed by something Natori does and we get the "in the world of adults sometimes you have to..." routine.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 16:36   Link #26
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Spoiler for Ep5:
Old 2017-05-10, 12:00   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This turned out to be a really heartwarming story, once again. Nobody had bad intentions, yet a disaster almost happened. I wish Takuma had been allowed to see his youkai friends one last time with Taki's circle as Natsume suggested, but alas, exorcists have strict rules.

I have to admit that despite what I said last week, the end of the ep gave me bad vibes. I still think Natori only has the best of intentions in mind, but as seen in this very episode, that can still lead to horrible consequences if you don't know what you're doing. And Natori has no idea just how precious the book of friends is. I can definitely imagine him inadvertently hurting Natsume by taking it away, or worse, trying to destroy it.

You know, it's actually been a while since we last saw Natsume give a youkai his name back.
Old 2017-05-10, 12:03   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Natori is the smiling face of exorcism, but he's revealed where his loyalties ultimately lie. In that sense he's more dangerous to Natsume than Matoba.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-10, 20:23   Link #29
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Given Natsume's foreshadowing comments last episode about Natori, I wasn't surprised about the ending of ep 5. Natsume's conflict with Natori over the book of friends will probably be the ultimate event Natsume will face. Natsume has a strong stance on the side of youkai (and his youkai friends) while we clearly see that Natori sides solely with human. However, Takuma's comment how Natori has changed hints that there's hope for a peaceful resolution between Natori and Natsume. Also, this conflict may reveal the significance of Natori's youkai/lizard shadow possession - I think it will play a role in this somehow.

Another issue that keeps popping up again and again throughout the series is losing the ability to see youkai and trying to live a normal life after the fact. Natsume had a brief, temporary experience of this. I'm guessing this issue will be a deciding factor for Natsume's future association with his youkai acquaintances.

I see the resolution of the above 2 issues as possibly the definite finale to this series.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2017-05-10, 22:38   Link #30
Pen3

I don't really care if Natori and Natusme becomes enemies, but it will be sad to see Hiiragi and Natsume fight. Natsume and Hiiragi have a bond, but i i think the contract Hiiragi has with Natori is of full control.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 10:04   Link #31
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This isn't the kind of show where you'd see some kind of protracted struggle between Natori and Natsume. A two or three parter, perhaps, but that would be it.

What Natori hasn't seen, and therefore doesn't understand about Natsume is that he's developed genuine relationships with the youkai. Not a master-familiar relationship, bound by a mystical contract, but genuine friendships with emotional bonds. Nyanko-sensei is the only one of these relationships Natori knows about. He doesn't know about the Dog Circle or Misuzu (who allows Natsume to hold his name by his own free choice) or mustache-guy or any of the others.

If Natori tried to take the book away, all these youkai would try to stop him, and at that point Natori would understand that what Natsume has is special. Or at least that's how I would write it.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 17:28   Link #32
HandofFate

ep4
do japanese people really just invite strangers into their home like that?
or is it just because Natsume looked like a pitiful kid
Old 2017-05-16, 21:52   Link #33
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Nothing great happened in ep6 and yet it is such an endearing episode. I can certainly understand the sadness Natsume must feel looking forward to the time when they graduate and all his first true friends leave to live their own lives. No wonder he wishes to remain at this time forever.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2017-05-16, 22:47   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

That was a good one. It was nice in a way to get another look at basically S1 Natsume. Seeing how he got involved with Nishimura and Kitamoto and what they've been through. Kind of like the Fujiwara episode in a way. They can't see what Natsume does, but certainly those two have been through a couple odd situations.

Makes sense that Natsume doesn't look forward to graduation or anything. He's finally found peace. A family he can rely on and precious friends. These two represent normal for Natsume and are important for that reason.

Plus was nice to see what these two have going on in their lives. They aren't just Natsume's friends, but living their own lives with good and bad things happening in them.
Old 2017-05-17, 11:52   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think it was about time Nishimura and Kitamoto got their own episode. They've been there since pretty much the beginning, yet we knew next to nothing about them, least of all how they became so close to Natsume. Nice to see the class rep again too, even if it only was for a minute or so.
Old 2017-05-17, 12:46   Link #36
HandofFate

Hope Natori gets punched hard if he messes with Natsume
Old 2017-05-20, 01:35   Link #37
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 06

Another really good episode, and one focusing on characters in the franchise that have not received a lot of attention previously. It's interesting to see how both friends are pretty normal folks, but at the same time kinda perceptive about some things about Natsume himself....
Old 2017-05-23, 17:06   Link #38
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2017-05-23, 18:01   Link #39
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 07

That was another lovely episode ... and yes, bittersweet indeed. Episodes that focus a lot on Reiko are one of my favorite revisited content in this franchise. ^^
Old 2017-05-23, 23:35   Link #40
BPD Renegade

Ep 6: I was really looking forward to this episode as soon as I saw Nishimura and Kitamoto in the preview title, and it didn't disappoint. Like Touko-san, it seems like they also have inklings that there's something otherworldly about Natsume, yet they still accept him all the same. I'm glad we were able to have this episode from their perspective and see what a difference there is between the past and present. Natsume has been able to meet such wonderful people, it's understandable that at the moment, his only real desire is to maintain the status quo that he's created.

Ep 7: It was nice learning more about Reiko and her self-denial when it came to forming bonds. This might have been the first time we received mention that there's someone she's living with, and it's looking like she might have been in the same situation as Natsume, where she's being passed around. Meeting Nyanko-sensei might have been the best thing to happen to Natsume; otherwise, he might have ended up continuing to distance himself from everyone like his grandmother.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exorcist, manga to anime, supernatural, youkai