AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-05, 03:18   Link #201
Hamu

Erin is definitely starting to see the consequences of her actions.
I wonder how Erin being able to control just one beast-lord will affect the coming war.
will others try to imitate her and tame the beast-lord, like they do the toudas, or will Erin somehow be able to use Lilan to control other beast-lord?
although, I doubt that Erin would intentionally enter the war or hurt the beast-lords.

and is Erin ever going to encounter the Toudas again? I had a feeling that she and Rururu (the baby touda she was looking after) were going to bond... but who knows..
I have so many questions!! hopefully, the anime will be able to answer all of them.. and not leave us with any plotholes.

off topic.. I'm so glad that this forum is finally getting busy.. it seemed pretty dead at the beginning.
Hamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 11:03   Link #202
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
26 was pretty interesting with Erin getting hit by the results of her actions. The impressive discovery of Lilan understanding her words hits against the reality of Lilian reaching a strange middle ground between the wild beast lords and the captive ones. Lilan may have trouble interacting with anyone besides Erin really. It's not like Lilan is listening to anyone besides Erin.

Almost thought Lilan was going to take off a little or something at the end of the episode. Erin may try to help her gain that ability so Lilan will have the ability to just take off and return to the wild. Ironic that such a thing would make the seriousness of Erin's situation politically even more so since a flying beat lord that listens to a human would really shake things up. Not to mention Erin can't really pull away form Lilan now that she is so attached. It would be like losing a parent all over again for Lilan.

Anyways just curious about when this whole keeping things a secret will end up blowing up in the school's face.
Old 2009-08-05, 12:50   Link #203
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I wonder what Erin is doing now when she is 18 years old.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 19:41   Link #204
TCman

Episode 31 of Kemono no Souja Erin is just beautiful:

Spoiler for Episode 31:

Last edited by TCman; 2009-08-09 at 03:53. Reason: updating spoiler episode 31
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:22   Link #205
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
I wonder what Erin is doing now when she is 18 years old.
Spoiler for episode 30+:
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 11:25   Link #206
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

They've really made the 18-year-old Erin look a lot like her mother.

So...

Spoiler for Episode 31:
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 04:30   Link #207
Saleh
Inactive

Spoiler for A Question and Speculation (ep 24):
Old 2009-08-10, 07:10   Link #208
Isohunter

Damn, I'm stuck at episode 26 till SS move their asses and release the rest. Yes, I know I know I'm getting this for free so I should be grateful, but what I'm worried about is this show getting licensed before it ends, when that happens SS will definitely drop it and then no body would be subbing it at all.

I wish I knew Japanese.
Old 2009-08-10, 07:30   Link #209
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I see the chances of this show being licensed as close to zero. It's too "childish" to market to the R1 anime audience. Most of us who've seen Dennou Coil think it's one of the better anime in the past couple of years, but I don't see any licensors rushing to pick. Erin is, I believe, being shown in the same time slot as Coil, one oriented to family viewing. Even being produced by I.G isn't a lock these days. Having Shirow as the creative force behind Real Drive hasn't gotten it licensed, and his other recent show, Ghost Hound, is being released in R1 with subtitles-only, a guarantee that it will have a small audience.

Oh and, in general, bad-mouthing fansubbers is usually considered bad form here.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 08:39   Link #210
karumofin

it is a kids show, so it can always get licensed as kids show
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 11:33   Link #211
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I doubt it. It doesn't have obvious collectibles or other features that sell shows aimed at children. I suppose you might be able to sell a few stuffed Lilan dolls, but the prospects seem limited. Moreover how would it be promoted? It certainly wouldn't be seen by television advertisers as an appropriate vehicle for selling sugared cereal and toys. Suppose you were General Mills and had purchased advertising time in Erin. Would you want your advertisement for Cheerios to appear in the break after Soyon was executed?

That pretty much means selling DVDs. It's proving progressively more difficult to sell anime on DVDs to the prime 18-30 target market. I don't think I'd want to invest in a show aimed at kids that would require parents to spend some $250 across twelve or more DVDs. Would you?

Often when I read discussions of licensing here and elsewhere, many commentators seem to think that what drives licensing decisions is primarily the content of the show itself. While I'm sure content does matter, it's not the only factor influencing the licensing decision. When it comes to shows for kids, I'd wager the quality of the content is one of the least-important factors. In the kids market, having a show that's cheap to produce and offers the prospect of essentially limitless episodes are significant. Do you think Pokemon would have succeeded so well if there were no cards and toys, and the show was scheduled to end after a "mere" fifty episodes?

How well do you suppose Tweeny Witches is selling?
Old 2009-08-10, 13:57   Link #212
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

You would have to pitch this show to the same crowd that likes Juuni Kokki, and throw translations of the novels into the mix. I'm not sure it could work in the current economic climate, and even if it could, it would probably take a long time to come together.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:40   Link #213
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I've been going back and rewatching the early episodes with the Static Subs translation, and I feel like there's a lot in them that's still hanging out there to be paid off. Like, for example... just about everything that happens in the village of Ake.

Will we ever find out how and why the Touda were killed? Will that pompous weasel of a Touda-vet Wadan get what's coming to him? Will we ever see that soldier, Tairan, who brought his Touda to the village for Soyon to cure? Inquiring minds want to know!

Then again, Michiko to Hatchin never went back and showed us what happened to Hatchin's foster family, and that show did okay. So maybe Ake is just a distant memory now. It has been eight years, after all.
Old 2009-08-13, 06:20   Link #214
Saleh
Inactive

I am dying to know the mysterious relation between mist people and the founder of empire rather than those. The founder could have been from mist tribe since it was hinted that it isn't rare for mist people to be able to control both the mythical creatures.

@ SeijiSensei :- Did Emma, Shoukoujo Sara, Heidi, Mirai shônen Konan generate profit? While Kemono no Souja Erin has less chance of getting licenced by anime industries that rely on sales of merchandise, broadcasting industry will eventually be eying it. It will fetch a reasonable rating and profits from ads and it can be broadcasted for multiple age groups even if its intended targets are under 14, though broadcasting license generally doesn't equate to merchandising license. I believe that Tweeny Witches was a profitable enterprise for broadcasting companies. They only had to find a age groups and countries that would find it immensely captivating.

Quote:
Suppose you were General Mills and had purchased advertising time in Erin. Would you want your advertisement for Cheerios to appear in the break after Soyon was executed?
Won't you like to advertise your product on a show with 8%+ rating if the broadcasting company is willing to do it at a reasonable price? Doesn't it gets a bit pricey if you are too specific about when and during which show your product airs?

Last edited by Saleh; 2009-08-13 at 07:03.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 07:50   Link #215
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm puzzled. Isohunter's question concerned the possibility that Erin would be licensed and drop off the torrents. Since we usually mean "licensed" here at AS to mean "licensed in R1," I was commenting on the possibility of it showing up here.

I don't doubt there might be some broadcasting agencies in some countries that might show Erin; I just don't think the US is going to be one of them. I don't recall any of the shows you listed appearing on an American broadcast channel. I also doubt that R1 licensors like ADV or Funi are going to be all that interested, either. The anime market here has changed a lot since 2005 when RightStuf/Nozomi licensed Emma. Their newest offerings look more like Maria-sama than Erin.

As for ratings, Erin garners some three percent of the audience in Japan. Not too shabby, but a far cry from eight. I don't believe it has any advertising in Japan since it's carried on NHK's educational channel. At one time the NHK had some collaborative relationships with America's PBS, but they don't seem to extend to childrens' shows. PBS is much too committed to programs like Sesame Street which focus on educating disadvantaged pre-schoolers.

I, too, think Erin is quite a fine show, one my daughter and I watch routinely when new episodes appear. I just don't see it appearing alongside Sponge Bob any time soon.
Old 2009-08-14, 14:19   Link #216
silverwolf0

Spoiler for Ep 27 and 28 rant, because I like to rant.:
silverwolf0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 00:29   Link #217
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ Hmm, that's a surprising view. My reaction is completely opposite to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
Spoiler for Episode 28:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
Spoiler for episode 27:
My thoughts:
Spoiler for Episdes 27 and 28:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 02:14   Link #218
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Well I didint really enjoy episode 27-28 it was just mopping and whining etc etc about the past and current issues. But judging by the preview for episode 29 looks like something big is going too happen.

Spoiler:
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 02:30   Link #219
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Well I didint really enjoy episode 27-28 it was just mopping and whining etc etc about the past and current issues. But judging by the preview for episode 29 looks like something big is going too happen.

Spoiler:
It's just a flesh wound

I really shouldn't have rewatched Monty Python And The Holy Grail

Last edited by Miles Teg; 2009-08-15 at 03:34. Reason: Link to the video from the official Monty Python channel
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 03:40   Link #220
Hamu

while episodes 27 was definitely different from all the previous ones, I have to agree with TinyRedLeaf that it was good in its own way

Spoiler for Episodes 27-28:

off topic, I'd pay good money for a Lilan plushie.. maybe a human sized one too!! As odd looking as it would be (or more so, as awkward as it would be to explain to others what it is) it would make a great sleep companion lol
Hamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.