AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-23, 13:52   Link #241
Lycestra
feed me weird things
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Ashura in Tsubasa Chronicle didn't have a gender, it was never stated. Most people say it was male because he is male in RG Veda.
Last I heard, Ashura was genderless in RG Veda. child of complex circumstances from what I recall. The Japanese anime never mentioned either, while the US release of the anime identified Ashura as female. I kinda gather the US company never read the manga tho.
Lycestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 14:08   Link #242
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Anything else?

I am continually impressed by the originality of xxxHolic. Is there really anything else like it out there? It doesn't focus on the 'high school life' genre (thank God) and while it does deal with the ever popular spirits/supernatural theme, it does so in a unique way. The only thing close that I could think of is maybe Rental Magica...but even that is incomparable on many levels.

Ironically enough, the episode after I comment about getting no development for Himawari, we get some. Looks like we might get more in episode 4 as well. Looking forward to it.

And now for the ambiguous fashion rating!

Episode 2:
8/10 - Yuko changed outfits 3 times this episode. Extra points for showing a little more skin than usual in her evening dress(?).

Episode 3: 6/10 - Not much going on here, but the Jorougumo had an 'interesting' outfit, so that helps the rating slightly. Yuko's blue kimono wasn't bad either.
mikesince83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 14:10   Link #243
Dove

A blog I read didn't like episode 3 as much either.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 14:16   Link #244
Godly_senselessness

XXXholic

Finally,holic returns.I am a huge holic fan and have been waiting for this series to return.The characters are so endearing.Its going to be a great season.
Godly_senselessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 14:28   Link #245
Sorceresspol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
From what is shown so far, WatanukiXDoumeki can't even be called 'one-sided', much less reciprocated. That is, can we even say that Wantanuki-->Doumeki OR Doumeki--->Watanuki even exists romantically right now? They are as subtext as Watanuki's romantic relationship with Yuuko, or even loli-chan IIRC.
Right now, hints but no proof. It's hard to get a solid reading on them because they're not honest with each other. If they were nice to each other for more than a couple of minutes after something bad happens, it would be easier to tell if it was just friendship or something more.

Quote:
At the very least, Z-W-->Watanuki and Watanuki-->Himawari are stated explicitly in the story, and as such has much firmer foundations than other ships in canon since they have half of the equation present already.
Those feelings have been expressed by Watanuki and Z-w, and still no sign of either relationship progressing any further.

Quote:
So as far as I'm concerned, no other pairing with Watanuki is viable in canon until he falls out of love from Himawari. Watanuki, after all, is the protagonist of the story, and as such it's his feelings that counts for the purpose of predicting the final couple. And so far, all signs show that his feelings is bound to Himawari. Until the day that stops, all other ships are just wishful thinking that lies in the realm of fanon.
Agreed, I don't think anything is going to happen until Watanuki's feelings for Himawari change.
Sorceresspol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 16:11   Link #246
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Ashura in Tsubasa Chronicle didn't have a gender, it was never stated. Most people say it was male because he is male in RG Veda.
Not to further the OTness but doesnt Fai refer to Ashura as male?? Unless we're talking about the other Ashura in that one land they visited or maybe I didnt go back far enough in this thread But I thought Fai had referred to Ashura as "him" before.

Ok back on-topic! Yuuko!! Part of me would love for CLAMP to actually explain what she is but then part of me doesnt, her whole aura of mystery and being able to really do whatever she wants (I mean in Lady in the Park isnt she off somewhere creating a god or something??) the lady has power!! So Im torn, I love her ambigious nature but I also hate loose ends
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 16:16   Link #247
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycestra View Post
Last I heard, Ashura was genderless in RG Veda. child of complex circumstances from what I recall. The Japanese anime never mentioned either, while the US release of the anime identified Ashura as female. I kinda gather the US company never read the manga tho.
In the manga, it's said that he is male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Not to further the OTness but doesnt Fai refer to Ashura as male?? Unless we're talking about the other Ashura in that one land they visited or maybe I didnt go back far enough in this thread But I thought Fai had referred to Ashura as "him" before.
Nope, Ashura's gender is never spoke about in Tsubasa Chronicle. It's a little confusing because Ashura looks more female then RG Veda, though then again it's just something that's never talked about, so i'm not all that sure.

Maybe CLAMP will meniton something about it in the second Tsubasa guide book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Yuuko!! Part of me would love for CLAMP to actually explain what she is but then part of me doesnt, her whole aura of mystery and being able to really do whatever she wants (I mean in Lady in the Park isnt she off somewhere creating a god or something??) the lady has power!! So Im torn, I love her ambigious nature but I also hate loose ends
I'm with you there. A part of me would love to find out the secrets of Yuuko, though if we did find out, then it wouldn't be the same old Yuuko we love anymore.
Old 2008-04-23, 20:48   Link #248
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Damn Shiroth you watch all the shows I watch...Well maybe visa versa ...

xxxholic kei is just kinda hypnotising...It has some antics that would bore me in other shows, but because of the weirdness and eccentric nature of the animation and the world itself, I just can't look away...It's just like part 1 in almost every way to me...I feel like it never went off ya know (Feels like I just put my slippers back on)...

I wish they did this show in HD because it would be cool to see Yuuko's outfits in high resolution^^ (If not the entire series)...Still think Hiwatari is the "baddie" of this show, so can't wait to see that revealed (hopefully)...So far so good though from a show that I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoy watching it so much...You just kinda sit there mesmerized by all the oddity that's taking place...I mean calligraphy chomping book-snakes, catgirls who eat floating goldfish, little people on surfboards that can fly AND insult your a$$?? I mean what's in the creator's mind?? It's a trip...
Old 2008-04-24, 13:48   Link #249
SinsI

Do the other stations (not TBS) air this in wide screen? It was so for season 1.

Last edited by SinsI; 2008-04-24 at 14:09.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 16:14   Link #250
dxgarten

Episode 4 screenshots and summary

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 16:50   Link #251
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 05 preview:
Old 2008-04-24, 18:54   Link #252
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 21:38   Link #253
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

BS-i broadcasted xxxHOLiC Kei episode 1 in 720p!

Just like clannad I'll be following widescreen releases, I'm sure I'm not alone

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 23:45   Link #254
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucigaromeo View Post
BS-i broadcasted xxxHOLiC Kei episode 1 in 720p!

Just like clannad I'll be following widescreen releases, I'm sure I'm not alone
Oh hell yes. <3 I can forgive Production I.G now, since it seems it was produced in 16:9, but TBS is broadcasting it in 4:3 for some reason. I think I'll grab the raw and see just how different they are.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 23:50   Link #255
ryotaro1004

hiya... i'm subbing the original .avi files with soft subs... ^^

i love soft subs better since i can turn it on and off... so it won't disturb the picture! ><

i've fallen in love with this anime since the 1st season!

it was sad when it was finished... but now they are releasing new episodes... yay! ^^
ryotaro1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 00:40   Link #256
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I won't bother reposting images here, but I did a screencap comparison over at MAL <link removed>

The TBS version is definitely cropped to 4:3, the BS-i version has extra imagery, just as happened with Clannad. Disappointing on TBS' part.

Last edited by Ichihara Asako; 2008-04-27 at 23:28. Reason: Removed link. Images gone.
Old 2008-04-25, 08:35   Link #257
Lycestra
feed me weird things
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
The TBS version is definitely cropped to 4:3, the BS-i version has extra imagery, just as happened with Clannad. Disappointing on TBS' part.
Uh... hasn't this been the case with all recent anime? And tv shows in the US for that matter? xxxHOLiC season 1 had the same deal. Pretty obvious in cases where it pans to one side quickly (episode "Unfair", when Yuuko is pouting in the background), or even back and forth. Imagine episode 3, in the scene where they have Yuuko on the right side of the screen, and pan over to Doumeki just standing there.

Welcome to this century. Widescreen vs Fullscreen. Fullscreen is the budget broadcast version with no power windows or air conditioning.
Old 2008-04-25, 08:47   Link #258
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycestra View Post
Welcome to this century. Widescreen vs Fullscreen. Fullscreen is the budget broadcast version with no power windows or air conditioning.
Right. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Most shows are broadcast in 16:9 off the bat. There are very few things in 4:3 anymore. Clannad and this are the only examples I know of in recent history.

Also, I've never seen a 16:9 version of the first season, so I've no idea what you're talking about.

What other shows air in 4:3 while having 16:9 source? Kenichi is the last show I recall in 4:3, other than long running stuff like Naruto and Bleach -- and even they seem to have made the transition to 16:9 finally.
Old 2008-04-25, 09:37   Link #259
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I havent watched 4 yet but....
Spoiler for epi 4:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:33   Link #260
Lycestra
feed me weird things
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Right. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Most shows are broadcast in 16:9 off the bat. There are very few things in 4:3 anymore. Clannad and this are the only examples I know of in recent history.

Also, I've never seen a 16:9 version of the first season, so I've no idea what you're talking about.

What other shows air in 4:3 while having 16:9 source? Kenichi is the last show I recall in 4:3, other than long running stuff like Naruto and Bleach -- and even they seem to have made the transition to 16:9 finally.
Sorry, i wrote that after waking up... very antagonistic. Sorry about that.

Check torrent sites with raws, and you'll see various resolutions, some even marked with FS or WS as well. I kinda gathered this was the norm, and has been for a while.

evidence with xxxHOLiC season 1, even without finding old raws: the US DVD release is widescreen, while all the fansubs you'll find were fullscreen. Demonstrates that Production I.G did make it in widescreen. doesn't answer the question of whether the widescreen was ever broadcast on BSi or not. I did see a few raws out there way back then that were, but you'd have to take my word on that. But in general, if it says BSi, its probably a better source than a non-BSi (save raw provider reencode issues)

American TV has been the same way, although recently, letterboxed broadcasts have become more common. Altho they don't wait 3 weeks to show the widescreen like Japan does. But really the only way to tell is to have both analog TV or a 4:3 digital broadcast, and a widescreen broadcast version at your disposal.

Tags
seinen, supernatural