AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-01, 18:25   Link #981
Marina2

Let's see,...

Yuuki's match in the manga is 3 ch. long and that is 1 ep. in anime version.
Mako 3 ch.
Hisa 5 ch.
Nodoka 9 ch.
Saki 17 ch. and still continue.

(Counting from the start of each person's match to the end of their match, including non-mahjong event)

I can see now how they will make this 24 ep. (There are also a special ch. that Gonzo may turn it to 1 ep. long like ep.5

P.S. This isn't too spoiler right? warn me if it is.

Last edited by Marina2; 2009-06-01 at 22:47.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 19:10   Link #982
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for eps 9, addendum:

sadly, most execution of ideas in this anime is pathetic, really.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 21:20   Link #983
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for eps 9, addendum:
I don't know should I tell you about that or not, because it will spoil most of the fun. Her name is Momoko, though.
Old 2009-06-01, 22:21   Link #984
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
hah im watching this anime. And i dont even know how to play mahjong

i guess i should go learn how to play now.
You definitely don't need to understand anything about Mahjong to enjoy this anime. In fact, as with most "sports-style" anime, it's probably better for us who don't know anything about Mahjong, since we can't realize just how crazy/silly/unrealistic it is (although I can certainly guess). This anime can be taken as a sort of comfort food because it plays all the clichés so blatantly, but that's also its charm. It doesn't take itself too overly seriously, even in its "serious moments". I would say that it's a fanservice anime that uses Mahjong as its motif, and I don't mean that at all in a derogative way even though I could see how some might see it that way.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 22:27   Link #985
FateAnomaly

I wish there is a saki game where the you can use the respective characters special powers.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 22:31   Link #986
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I wish there is a saki game where the you can use the respective characters special powers.
I would be totally surprised if they don't make a TV game out of this. It just seems like, if anything, this is one case where it almost makes itself, and given that almost every other anime gets a tie-in game these days, I'd say the odds are extremely good.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 22:44   Link #987
Marina2

If you want a mahjong game that character can use special power , I recomment..

"Touhou Unreal Mahjong" (anyone here play it?)

Saki game will be interesting as well, but I hope A.I. won't too evil - -''
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 23:02   Link #988
FateAnomaly

Its not just the power but i like most of the Saki characters. It will be fun to use their signature move complete with special effects (lol) like Saki's Rinchan Kaihou and Yuuki's Chii Toitsu (powered by Tacos).

I think the core of their power will probably be tile manipulation ability and tile seeing ability. e.g. if Saki is in a position to get a Rinchan Kaihou she can change the replacement tile to the tile she want if the tile in still somewhere on the wall.
Old 2009-06-02, 01:45   Link #989
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

This episode was great. The pacing and emotional mix was pretty much spot on. Really liked seeing Mihoko's eyes in action - although, again, would have loved to hear what Fujita-pro thought of her play in that round - and the auras were hilarious from the Taco Evil Aura to the Flow Aura but special mention to the lovey-dovey blue aura against Jun and her reaction to it!

Poor Tsuruga girl. Did she only win one hand?

As for Kazekoshi, I'm not quite sure why Mihoko felt that she had to face off against Jun. Granted, Jun is pretty strong as evidenced by her 2nd round performance and her style is unique so conventional players might not work against her... I wonder if this means that the strength on Ryuumonbuchi actually goes Koromo to Jun to the others. Just seems odd.
Old 2009-06-02, 02:14   Link #990
FateAnomaly

If Mihoko did not play that round, it is possible that Jun could have single handedly won the match again. Jun could just keep feeding on Yuuki. So it is actually fortunate that she played that round. Not many people can counter Jun, most of them don't even know the rationale of her play.
Old 2009-06-02, 02:27   Link #991
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
If Mihoko did not play that round, it is possible that Jun could have single handedly won the match again. Jun could just keep feeding on Yuuki. So it is actually fortunate that she played that round. Not many people can counter Jun, most of them don't even know the rationale of her play.
Yeah, that's true. I suppose Mihoko calced it that the chances of winning were higher if she handled Jun and Kana Koromo as opposed to the other way around. If the game ended in the first round, then Mihoko wouldn't even get the chance to play.
Old 2009-06-02, 02:58   Link #992
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I swear to god I thought Inoue Jun was a guy when skimming the raw manga chapters. Guess not though. Weird, it's usually the guy that looks every bit like a woman ala Bridget, not the other way around. Either way the way she kept calling Pungs, Chow's and Ron's had me exclaiming "would you knock that off already". That's how the players must be thinking. Such a pain in the ass to be building a good hand and then have somebody blow it on you like that, but I guess that's the point since it throws you off your game and makes you make even more mistakes.

As for the episode, this show is making me want tacos like K-On has me going for the tea, and the strange thing is that I don't even really like Tex-mex. I swear to god that dog must have been a reference to the Taco Bell Chihuahua though. Oh and of course Kyoutaro proves once again just how he's the bitch in the Mahjong club. Guy has clearly been relegated to cheerleader/fetch-quester.

Hmmm....what else...oh right, all of those parts in Yuuki's quotes later on when she's losing remind me of interviews with hockey players. "Yeah you know there is no impossible, you just gotta come out and play 110% win or lose, and that's the spirit of the game. You know I think I just gotta take it one step at a time, watch the tiles, get into it and have a good time. That's what the games all about. Just gonna come out and play my best next round and hopefully make some good Mahjong". *Spin Chair around many times and cue Megaman X music*

Oh sports interview cliches, do you ever run out of uses. Anyway it looks like my worry about Koromo has come partially true and that they've kind of blanded her appearance up with the anime's art style which just isn't as good as the manga's, but she does kind of have the super robot pilot voice going on just a bit. Now if only Touka would stop with that hideous inhalation and ear-splitting voice crack whenever she get's unnerved we'd be golden.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 03:11   Link #993
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Koromos character seems to be VERY different from what I expected O_O Thought of a little shy girl who is blushing and hiding behind Touka ... guess not.

For the match my prediction is:
Tsuruga: Wont be doing much for the first three players (though the blonde one has sparked my interest) but striking back with the vice-captain and specially with the captain
Ryuumonbuchi: Tomoki and Hajime look like pretty good players, they will rather win hands than loose. Then epic Touka vs Nodoka and of course Koromo.
Kazekoshi: Player 2-4 look like cannon fodder ... But kitty girl is burning for revenge and will be up for a fight vs Koromo. Expecting a fierce battle.
Kiyosumi: Mako and pres are probably on par with Ryuumonbuchi. Nodoka vs Touka vs Tsuruga will be intense. Final round with the two monsters Saki and Koromo (though Saki seems to be intimidated by Koromo...), along with Momoko (dark aura = o-o) and kitty girl will result in a fierce battle.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 03:26   Link #994
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
The last battle: Saki VS Koromo VS Momoko VS Kana should be awesome.

This is the perfect use for the "What Do You Mean, It's Not Awesome? " trope.

I can't believe I'm getting excited...over a MAHJONG MATCH!!
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 03:48   Link #995
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I can't believe I'm getting excited...over a MAHJONG MATCH!!
You mustn't have watched Akagi then.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:05   Link #996
DmonHiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You mustn't have watched Akagi then.
I think Akagi is actually the exact opposite of Saki, in terms of Mahjong. While they both show people paying mahjong that is.....let's say improbable, they differ in how they execute the over-the-topness. Akai is more cool, and intimidating, while Saki is loud and passionate.

It's like super mecha (Saki) VS realistic mecha (Akagi). Both are awesome, but in their own style.

Saki: cute + hot + loud
Akagi: rough + cool + silent

So, I prefer Saki better then Akagi, because of the "What do you mean it's not awesome?" moments. Also...loli-yuri...
Old 2009-06-02, 04:14   Link #997
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm not saying they're the same (who would?). I was replying to your "can't believe i'm getting excited" when it should happen when watching Akagi.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:29   Link #998
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I havent seen Akagi, so Im getting all hyped up over Saki
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 04:30   Link #999
DmonHiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm not saying they're the same (who would?). I was replying to your "can't believe i'm getting excited" when it should happen when watching Akagi.
I never got excited from Akagi, I got pulled in. I believe there's a difference. But we digress, this is the Saki thread. The one thing both mahjong representations have in common is that it's almost impossible to the THAT MANY super-special wins in one match.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:47   Link #1000
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I never got excited from Akagi, I got pulled in. I believe there's a difference. But we digress, this is the Saki thread. The one thing both mahjong representations have in common is that it's almost impossible to the THAT MANY super-special wins in one match.
Alright, someone's being dead serious. I was obviously joking around. Sorry i ever said anything.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen