AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 5 15.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 18.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 21.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 3.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 3.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-27, 00:39   Link #41
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
Reading through some of the threads, it seems like a lot of people are disappointed with how things are going with the show.

I honestly have no idea why -- I'm really liking it a lot. Maybe it's cause I didn't know anything about the game or the show prior and hence did not have any expectations.

The show is light, fun, and though devoid of any real substance, it's a pleasure to view, colorful and pleasant to the eyes, with a great cast and an involving if choppy plot line.

I really enjoyed ep. 12, perfect execution, I thought. I felt bad for Faldio because it seems like Alicia only believes in Welkin, and "Welkin this" and "Welkin that" is starting to get under his skin. I'm interested to see how the emotionally clueless Welkin deals with his feelings for Alicia with Faldio pressing him against the corner like that.

And whoa, that preview shows a possible rape scene that had me going WTH @__@
I don't feel sorry for Faldio. He's an adult, and he should get the hint when a girl has her eyes on someone else, that maybe he'd be better using his time chasing another girl. It appears he's willing to throw his friendship with Welkin away to chase after a girl that doesn't show any romantic interest in him. He'll get what he deserves. Outside of Hentai, they always do.
Old 2009-06-27, 02:10   Link #42
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In the end, all I can say is that the anime has not only been enjoyable for me, but also made me all the more interested in playing the game. I had tried the demo, but the gameplay just isn't really my favourite kind of game. Now having seen the anime, I'm willing to put up with the gameplay in order to watch the story. So if you're measuring the show's success by its ability to attract a new audience who haven't experienced the game before, or wouldn't have otherwise given it a real chance, then maybe they're doing okay? If the game gives me a different yet still enjoyable experience, then I've got something to look forward to.
Do not forget a reverse effect too - some poeple can be so disgusted with the anime that instead of encouraging to try original it is discouraging them. The best example is ZnT novels in this case - anime is such a crap that a lot of people are discouraged to even give novels a shot, and only when there are people who read them and are able to convince them that novels have little to do with how bad anime is they give a shot, yet it's not always the case, at least from my personal experience (surprisingly enough ZnT anime sale rates are high enough, though in novel market terms ZnT novels surpasses the anime in popularity).

Only in rare cases anime surpasses original (Kannagi, Hatsukoi Limited), usually it is other way round. It is always a problem to animate original, but it is not true that all animations require changes or else 'it won't be interesting to watch the same thing over and over again', as such animes like Haruhi are pretty clearly denying such groundless claims as Haruhi follows novels line-by-line and is still incredibly popular. The key is a good quality of work while animating it. Novel writers are usually on completely different talent scale compared to anime script writers, so it is very rare for anime script-writers to make the script better.

Even more problems rise when you animate the game (best example would be Kimikiss, on how extremely popular game in Japan, turned into very unpopular anime).

Thats the problem with VC too. Studio does not have enough financial resources to be a real adaptation of VC game - if it would a real VC animation then we would be seeing a hell lot more battle scenes, and those cost more money as require more animation frames. So they do what they can with their limited resources. It's not a super-duper hit Evangelion with GAINAX at the wheel so they can spend huge amounts of money on Rebuild after all.

It still doesn't make VC excusable for some stuff they do though. I mean come on inviting a pig and an almost completely unimportant tsundere brat or Isara (knowing her background) into what is supposed to be a high-class ball is too much. Even Welkin and Faldio should not be such big-shots as well since looking logically they did not win all that many battles. What they are doing here is just silly and not even in a funny sense.

And justinstrife, I am with you on that one. With such 'friends' like Faldio, who need enemies? He doesn't even seem to know Welkin all that well (based on his recent conversation).
Old 2009-06-27, 02:48   Link #43
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And justinstrife, I am with you on that one. With such 'friends' like Faldio, who need enemies? He doesn't even seem to know Welkin all that well (based on his recent conversation).
Wait, I'm not so sure about this. Reaffirming your suspicions that your friend may be dense and not thinking of Alicia as a girl and love interest instead of as a teammate for accomplishing missions doesn't mean he's too dense to understand it. I think Faldio might even play the good friend in the anime and in a sense spur Welkin to understand his own feelings because of his incapability of understanding them himself.

That being said, I haven't played the game.
Old 2009-06-27, 03:52   Link #44
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
Wait, I'm not so sure about this. Reaffirming your suspicions that your friend may be dense and not thinking of Alicia as a girl and love interest instead of as a teammate for accomplishing missions doesn't mean he's too dense to understand it. I think Faldio might even play the good friend in the anime and in a sense spur Welkin to understand his own feelings because of his incapability of understanding them himself.

That being said, I haven't played the game.
I agree with this. Welkin has a close relationship with Alicia, but doesn't think of her in a romantic sense, at least not like Faldio (and obviously hasn't really considered the implications of his close relationship with her). While some people take Faldio's declaration as hostile, I do not. It's simply both an honest question and a declaration of intent. I don't think it's really all that threatening, despite the ominous music that played during that scene.
Old 2009-06-27, 04:30   Link #45
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I agree with this. Welkin has a close relationship with Alicia, but doesn't think of her in a romantic sense, at least not like Faldio (and obviously hasn't really considered the implications of his close relationship with her). While some people take Faldio's declaration as hostile, I do not. It's simply both an honest question and a declaration of intent. I don't think it's really all that threatening, despite the ominous music that played during that scene.
Agreed. If anything, Faldio is likely just throwing that line out there to get Welkin to think about Alicia for once.

I found that preview with Zaka and Rosie a bit scary. Is that a bit of skirt-lifting I see there?!
Old 2009-06-27, 05:19   Link #46
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Maybe, but my hatred for anime Faldio is just too big to think of him as anything in the positive light. Just like that tsundere brat of his. They both are getting on my nerves way too much.
Old 2009-06-27, 11:13   Link #47
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
It's not necessarily "supposed" to be anything, though, even though I can see why you had certain expectations as a game player. If people enjoy it in their own way, there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps the objective of the anime writers was to make an anime that a totally different group of fans would enjoy, rather than making an "anime of the game". Even though you're disappointed, there's nothing wrong with taking an alternate approach either. Maybe it's just not for you.
I think when I see that an anime is set in war time it's only reasonable to have a certain expectation of what we'll see.

I agree that the anime shouldn't be made solely for the game community and should try to get a new audience, but it shouldn't be done at the expense of making the game players think, "What the hell is this crap?"

As I've said several times I had hoped they'd expand upon certain things we didn't see in the game. Like episode 9 with Selvaria chasing after Max, I felt, was exactly for what I had hoped; an expansion upon a relationship and part of the story of which we don't see a ton. It gives some more meaning to later portions of the story from the game now having seen that episode and their relationship.

Quote:
It sounds like the game would have been hard to live up to for you even in the best of circumstances...

In the end, all I can say is that the anime has not only been enjoyable for me, but also made me all the more interested in playing the game. I had tried the demo, but the gameplay just isn't really my favourite kind of game. Now having seen the anime, I'm willing to put up with the gameplay in order to watch the story. So if you're measuring the show's success by its ability to attract a new audience who haven't experienced the game before, or wouldn't have otherwise given it a real chance, then maybe they're doing okay? If the game gives me a different yet still enjoyable experience, then I've got something to look forward to.
The anime was already in a hole, yes, given how I feel about the game. That said I think I set my expectations reasonably and they have not been met.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-06-27, 11:28   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
It still doesn't make VC excusable for some stuff they do though. I mean come on inviting a pig and an almost completely unimportant tsundere brat or Isara (knowing her background) into what is supposed to be a high-class ball is too much. Even Welkin and Faldio should not be such big-shots as well since looking logically they did not win all that many battles. What they are doing here is just silly and not even in a funny sense.
Well, I thought it was fine... I would rather have the characters there than have them excluded from the episode, since they're integral parts of the cast IMO (yes, including the mascot). Just because it's "zOMG unrealistic and illogical"... it wouldn't be the first time in anime. It's perfectly "excusable" to me; I guess maybe I just don't care about that sort of thing.

I wasn't talking about deviating from the source material as some sort of broad concept, I was talking about my own personal experiences with this show. I never said that "all animations require changes" to be unique and interesting; I simply said that whatever they did change here seems to be working for me (and, apparently, some others who've never played the game). The "novel writers are usually on completely different talent scale compared to anime script writers" comment is pretty specious as well, since many of the writers are in fact writers in other media, and many of the changes people deplore so much were made in collaboration with the original writers and editorial staff (sometimes at their request!). I can't help but feel like these are mostly stereotypes to support your "the original is almost always better" argument, which is more personal preference than anything else. If you look at sales, the jury is still out; shows have sold extremely well either way. It depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That said I think I set my expectations reasonably and they have not been met.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. But now that you understand the sort of adaptation this is, are you really going to keep holding it against the show at every single turn? There's nothing wrong with being disappointed, but it's going to be a bit "broken record" if you keep with the same complaint all the way 'till the end. I'd like to also think that I set my expectations reasonably given what I knew of the show's premise, and I've been pleasantly surprised. So I, for one, don't think the show is doing something so "wrong", even if it apparently is different. *shrug*
Old 2009-06-27, 13:29   Link #49
JagdPanther

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. But now that you understand the sort of adaptation this is, are you really going to keep holding it against the show at every single turn? There's nothing wrong with being disappointed, but it's going to be a bit "broken record" if you keep with the same complaint all the way 'till the end. I'd like to also think that I set my expectations reasonably given what I knew of the show's premise, and I've been pleasantly surprised. So I, for one, don't think the show is doing something so "wrong", even if it apparently is different. *shrug*
It's not really the same complaint if it keeps getting worse.

Old 2009-06-27, 14:57   Link #50
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
Maybe, but my hatred for anime Faldio is just too big to think of him as anything in the positive light. Just like that tsundere brat of his. They both are getting on my nerves way too much.
Thank god, I thought I was the only one who hated anime Faldio with a passion. Not to mention Ramal, why did they have to make a love interest for Isara? >_>

It's a shame that they decided to put love drama in the anime, something that doesnt happen in the game luckily. Ah well, I suppose it's to compensate for the lack of action we've been getting so far.
Old 2009-06-27, 15:10   Link #51
justavisitor

I also don't like that Faldio in episode 12...

And this episode to me kind of makes a turn around of this series, before the series was at or above average, but this episode makes me feel a lot more interested in this series once again

I also admit that I come to only watch the main heroine ...the staff draws her quite well
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-06-27, 17:50   Link #52
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
Thank god, I thought I was the only one who hated anime Faldio with a passion. Not to mention Ramal, why did they have to make a love interest for Isara? >_>

It's a shame that they decided to put love drama in the anime, something that doesnt happen in the game luckily. Ah well, I suppose it's to compensate for the lack of action we've been getting so far.
When they announced before the series began airing that they'd focus on the love relationship and try and get a love triangle going with Faldio-Alicia-Welkin my first thought basically was, "Oh crap."

Old 2009-06-27, 20:33   Link #53
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Whoa, there's not a lot of love for Faldio, is there.

I don't see how he's a bad friend for openly communicating with Faldio his thoughts and feelings. If anything, that makes a GOOD friend. Faldio likes Alicia. He wonders if Welkin likes Alicia, and so he asks. Less chance of misunderstandings this way.

I think that just straightly watching the anime without prior biases based on the game or other sources will enhance the viewing pleasure for people, and honestly, just off the anime, Faldio comes across as a straight shooter if a bit of a flirt.

All the hate flying his way makes me think you guys know something I don't (e.g. Faldio ends up betraying Welkin).
Old 2009-06-28, 03:21   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I don't dislike Faldio in this, though i can easily understand why most of you do. He just doesn't push the wrong buttons for me, and instead i like where they're going with him in the story. My prediction seems to be all the more true as each episode passes by.
Old 2009-06-28, 10:14   Link #55
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That's the problem, though. This is supposed to be a war story with strong focus on human interrelationships. It shouldn't be "devoid and any real substance."
Well, even if you expected it to be about war, the OP and the ED should have already stymied your expectations, LOL. I mean, they were baking and drawing and reading in the OP and then they were chibis in the ED -- WAR? I think not, haha.

But yeah, it appears that a lot of people expected what you expected -- I mean, there's a Weapons and Technology thread in here (probably more to do with the game), and I've hardly seen any of that in the show besides Isara working on the tanks.

Quote:
It can have light moments and fun moments. The game had a lot of those. But it was still had a serious plot with several emotional scenes.

As I play through the game a second time I think I'm coming to realize how close to perfect the game was in so many senses, including storyline. I think that definitely adds to the disappointment I feel with the anime because I know it would be so hard for the anime to come even close to the game in terms of quality.
Damn it, I think you just sold the game to me. Now I have to go buy it. But it might ruin the show for me . . . Ugh, life is so full of hard decisions.
Old 2009-06-28, 16:16   Link #56
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
Well, even if you expected it to be about war, the OP and the ED should have already stymied your expectations, LOL. I mean, they were baking and drawing and reading in the OP and then they were chibis in the ED -- WAR? I think not, haha.

But yeah, it appears that a lot of people expected what you expected -- I mean, there's a Weapons and Technology thread in here (probably more to do with the game), and I've hardly seen any of that in the show besides Isara working on the tanks.
I think many animes will have OPs and EDs that don't entirely gel with the series as a whole, but as for the content of those, I didn't mind them when the series began and I still don't. They do reveal things about the characters. Like the chibis in the ending are all doing something that they really enjoy. Specific things haven't been revealed in the series (and I doubt they will; small-change stuff, really) but for game players it's really funny. Like Largo, Jann, Selvaria, Alicia, Captain Varrot, etc. are all dead-on accurate based on their in-game profiles and actions. Each is doing exactly what is considered their favorite pastime.

So those things I don't mind at all, really.
Quote:
Damn it, I think you just sold the game to me. Now I have to go buy it. But it might ruin the show for me . . . Ugh, life is so full of hard decisions.
I'd take the risk. VC really was by far the best game I played in 2008. Possibly the best game of the past several years for me.

Old 2009-06-29, 04:56   Link #57
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

As I mentioned over at the Game Discussion thread, I wonder how VC X World In Conflict would look like.
Old 2009-06-29, 16:01   Link #58
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol Faldio is jealous and "I like Alicia" bam a shock in Welkin's head . At least , it can move forward his relations with Alicia .
Lol it seems that there'll be a *rape* with Rosie .
Old 2009-07-02, 16:44   Link #59
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

honesty goes a long way
Old 2009-07-04, 06:00   Link #60
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
If I'm deciding to shoot at someone, it will be to kill. There won't be wounding. Unless you can give me a situation where I want to save their lives...
Sorry to grab this part but. Are you talking now from a civilian perspective or from someone who has military experience?

If your answer is civilian, I may understand your point.

If you are someone who served in the army or in other executive force by your state, then the answer is incorrect.

As as soldier - what Welkin is - you are obliged to save casualties to a point where you are forced to kill. Welkin could have made a lethal shot. From the size difference between the guy and Alicia he could have made an easy headshot. But his decision just to wound him was in acceptance of Alicia. Therefore a nice teamwork and a wise decision. And in addition they enough evidence that the Alliance won' t start a second kidnapping.

Nonetheless my opinion to episode 12:
Very good realization of "The foe of my foe is my friend".