AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2007-02-01, 21:40   Link #241
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
Well, that is impossible
She only know who he was.
Spoiler:

edit: also... is there anyone here speaks japanese or have friends who are/speak Japanese who can, uhm, translate the visual fan book...? @_@ some of the info are realllllllllllly helpful... T_T now i'm looking at the thing and guessing its meaning from the few kanji that i know, <_>
kgptzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 13:01   Link #242
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Im sure all of you know this already, but...

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1037.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1038.html

KID is back . Purchased by "Ciberfront", thats it.

*quickly escapes off the spoilery tread *
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 14:29   Link #243
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
I didn't know that! Great news, I really want to see how someone will manage a game about calculus.
Supergrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 15:08   Link #244
G005

Quote:
KID is back . Purchased by "Ciberfront", thats it.
Just to clarify, the company KID remains very dead (this means that the legal entity will be dissolved, and that the management staff will probably not be retained). However, the brand name and intellectual properties have been purchased by Cyberfront. You can compare this to how UbiSoft purchased the Might & Magic IP, or how Eidos purchased Thief when the respective studios went bankrupt.

What this means is that KID's franchises will remain alive, although under the direction of another publisher/studio. Nonetheless, KID relied on a lot of external contractors (they had few employees left by the time of bankruptcy. Much of 12Riven was being developed on a subcontract basis), so some of the original project staff may be available for future work.
G005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 19:21   Link #245
kgptzac

indeed, cyberfront (not ciberfront...>.>) now has the rights of all previous KID titles as well as the ways for distributing them. Rumor says cyberfront is rich and I hope more of the KID's good stuff come out to be translated for those that don't speak japanese (+1 for non ero!)

regarding to 12riven, i think it says in the news that it will be out in 2007. The plot introduction for 12r is awesome, but I dunno if this time there will be an infinity loop... but I think it may become a better success than Remember 11 and get to be sold on PC ^^
Old 2007-02-03, 20:06   Link #246
G005

Quote:
Rumor says cyberfront is rich
That would be helpful. I don't know how big the company is, but they're definitely a key publisher/distributor of Western PC games in Japan. They also publish plenty of software for Gainax.
Old 2007-02-03, 23:01   Link #247
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by G005 View Post
That would be helpful. I don't know how big the company is, but they're definitely a key publisher/distributor of Western PC games in Japan. They also publish plenty of software for Gainax.
Gainax. GRRRRR. Anyways, this is good news, and luckily we will have more KID for the time being.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 00:33   Link #248
kgptzac

Sources say that SDR Project is likely to finish up the left-over titles such as Memories Off 5 Encore and 12Riven, yay. I think most people just want closure of some sort. I guess for us it's really the best deal so far.
Old 2007-02-04, 03:37   Link #249
rhyein

Just finished this game, and I must say it was great. However, there are a few questions that are left in my mind.

Spoiler for Questions:
rhyein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 02:08   Link #250
kgptzac

hehe, most of those questions i think are already answered either here... or you probably can help yourself on my study page: http://www.kgptzac.info/ever17.html I'll discuss those stuff if needed
Old 2007-02-07, 08:28   Link #251
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Just so you guys don't think you're the only ones with Ever17 avatars and sigs
Old 2007-02-08, 13:14   Link #252
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCJLbC0ASk
Anyone have a source for a high quality version of this?
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 20:13   Link #253
luckyovermind
hungry~

I think kgptzac's website has that

http://www.kgptzac.info/ever17.html

Ever 17 MAD - "Strangeness" by Operation Legend
Old 2007-02-09, 08:27   Link #254
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
I think kgptzac's website has that

http://www.kgptzac.info/ever17.html

Ever 17 MAD - "Strangeness" by Operation Legend
But it is still streaming :S
However I found a ddl link at
http://community.hirameki-int.com/mo...&sty=1&num=l50
There is some other interesting stuff here as well.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 09:33   Link #255
randomshinichi

If I hadn't played E17 before I wouldn't have even bothered, but now:
RPGFan and Visual-Novels.net report that KID is back up, thanks to Cyberfront! Personally, I wouldn't buy a bankrupt company, but there goes my lack of business acumen...
randomshinichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 12:56   Link #256
kgptzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
But it is still streaming :S
However I found a ddl link at
http://community.hirameki-int.com/mo...&sty=1&num=l50
There is some other interesting stuff here as well.
the divX site does provide a download function, though, where you can download it, and play with CCCP (no i don't think you have to install the divx player for offline purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomshinichi View Post
If I hadn't played E17 before I wouldn't have even bothered, but now:
RPGFan and Visual-Novels.net report that KID is back up, thanks to Cyberfront! Personally, I wouldn't buy a bankrupt company, but there goes my lack of business acumen...
sadistically said, KID went down is precisely because of the common trend of people demand of galgames with a lot of ecchi in them, which is kinda pathetic IMO. KID was famous of making non 18+ adv games, MO series and Infinity series are the milestones and are at the peak of the industry. E17 and Infinity is not about ecchi, obviously. It was a tragedy people could not accept a game like Remember 11... maybe not in the ero infested Japan... i guess if it's translated into english (and actually a good translation...), plus a different market strategy aiming not at those who looks for anime-style women with big boobs and horny CG's, but at those who enjoy detective/mystery/adventure novels and films etc, will it succeed? i entirely wish so.
Old 2007-02-09, 13:37   Link #257
G005

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't buy a bankrupt company, but there goes my lack of business acumen...
They didn't. Cyberfront only bought KID's brand name and intellectual properties (as part of KID's liquidation process), so it isn't like they're absorbing the latter's liabilities. KID is dead, while another company has picked up what they once owned.

There may still be some market value in the Memories Off and Infinity franchises, provided that Cyberfront treats them with care.

Quote:
sadistically said, KID went down is precisely because of the common trend of people demand of galgames with a lot of ecchi in them, which is kinda pathetic IMO. KID was famous of making non 18+ adv games, MO series and Infinity series are the milestones and are at the peak of the industry.
The console galge market is somewhat distinct from the PC eroge industry Also, there're new publishers coming in all the time (and consider Cyberfront's quick move to acquire KID's IP), so profitability can't be that bad. Last year alone, Prototype (ex-Interchannel), ARIA (August), and Sweets (Broccoli + Circus) were established, so investors are hardly fleeing the market.

From what's being said, KID went bankrupt through their own fault. Instead of concentrating on a few high quality games, they flooded the market with poorly received products (about one release per month) that consistently lost money. This bet-hedging strategy only intensified when they shifted publishing to the PS2 (i.e. with such a large PS2 userbase, they churned out even more product in the hopes that they might just stumble upon the hit), leading up to their bankruptcy.

Memories Off was run to the ground. The first two games were very popular, but as the series continued, both critical opinion and sales plummeted. That's a deathblow when

a) your overhead is high relative to other galge publishers/developers
b) your success was mainly built on one major IP (Memories Off)

Over time, KID lost the core staff on both the MO and Infinity series, so I wouldn't be surprised if some developers got cold feet with regard to corporate strategy/ideals.

Quote:
E17 and Infinity is not about ecchi, obviously. It was a tragedy people could not accept a game like Remember 11... maybe not in the ero infested Japan... i guess if it's translated into english (and actually a good translation...), plus a different market strategy aiming not at those who looks for anime-style women with big boobs and horny CG's, but at those who enjoy detective/mystery/adventure novels and films etc, will it succeed? i entirely wish so.
In the console ADV/VN market, I don't think oversexualization is a requirement for success. However, it's true that romance and cute characters (it's the moé) are important. After all, the consumer demand is primarily for galge and not other types of stories (although there've been exceptions like Kamaitachi no Yoru and Snatcher).

Mainstream and hardcore gamers don't want such non-interactive experiences. However, hope may potentially lie in the new casual game market that's springing up (mostly DS-playing fans of Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc. I think Phoenix Wright may be a start).
Old 2007-02-09, 17:05   Link #258
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
In the console ADV/VN market, I don't think oversexualization is a requirement for success. However, it's true that romance and cute characters (it's the moé) are important.
I do find that a bit sad in itself, though. If moé elements were less important, we'd get more stories like Ever17. A nice balance of the two types of story, character focus (moé appeal) on one side and plot focus on the other, would be nice for the visual novel world. Alas, things aren't always the way one wants them to be...
Old 2007-02-09, 19:24   Link #259
luckyovermind
hungry~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post
sadistically said, KID went down is precisely because of the common trend of people demand of galgames with a lot of ecchi in them, which is kinda pathetic IMO.
Remember that many people are fans, but few are industry experts. So you gotta be careful about comments posted on the internet. Look for those who can put together a decent argument, like G005 did
Old 2007-02-12, 01:23   Link #260
Enerccio
VN maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Enerccio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyein View Post
Just finished this game, and I must say it was great. However, there are a few questions that are left in my mind.

Spoiler for Questions:
Spoiler for Answers:
Enerccio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visual novel