AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-15, 14:36   Link #281
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
I disagree about the piano being some genetic thing. I see it as more the significant visual used for Soul influencing insanity; it's something personal to him that he can have control over. And he has control/identity issues all over the place if his hallucinations/flashbacks in the Baba Yaga arc are anything to go by.

Which I liked, because it didn't come down to some dire revelation or secret; he just...didn't know what to do with himself, and is still not sure of his own ability. Nothing extraordinary at all in that for a teenage character (or any character, for that matter), and I thought it a nice touch. Who needs a dark and troubled past when simply being human is enough to get you into all sorts of crazy danger?
Thanks for sharing that about the piano that makes a lot more sense than the piano being somthing in his blood... I do need to point out that the piano was never used to influence insanity. Iirc it was only used to preform duel resonance in the magnetic field created by BREW and to transfer Maka's anti-demon wavelegth to everyone connected to Arachne's network in Baba Yaga's Castle.

About Soul. You should remember that Atsushi (like most mangaka) is a little different form the rest of us. He bases his characters on a aspect of himself or so he said during a interview in France. Soul is cynical and appears to have some sort of inferiority complex (or he really isn't as good at playing the piano as people say him to be). I did realy like the scene but that conflict has yet to be resolved. Yeah, it's still a Shounen manga...
Old 2009-12-15, 18:25   Link #282
lmd_84

Oh, I don't know about Okubo being different, or at least not from any number of authors. There's nothing at all unusual in basing a character of aspects of yourself.

Not at all sure about your claim about the piano. For a start, the piano first turns up when the 'demon' invites Soul to play it for the power it would give him. The times when he does so include those when he turns insanity to his and Maka's advantage; the fight with Crona, the Clown chapters, and against Arachne. I think there's a clear connection there between the piano and Soul's insanity. And unless I'm missing something, I think the link is that using the one allows him to control the other.
Old 2009-12-16, 17:05   Link #283
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

^ Read the final volume of B.Ichi, this is the man who made Stein! Just looking at his characters tells you his somewhat crazy. This has a good infulence on Soul Eater though.

The whole thing with the demons intentions are a little strange. Bones portrayed him as wanting to take over or even destroy Soul. But I doubt this is were Atsushi is going with him in the manga. So far all I can tell is that he doesn't want to see Soul die, and that he is not a part of Soul himself (as he does not have access to all of Soul's memories).

Did Soul use the piano against the clown????

The use of the piano has always been to convey his and or Maka's wavelength to others. At least I can't remember them using it for anything else...
Old 2009-12-17, 14:41   Link #284
lmd_84

Ah, so you meant the man's personality. I thought you meant it was odd that one author used aspects of himself in a character. Which struck me as unusual because, well, it isn't uncommon.

The piano definitely turns up in the Clown chapters. Maka presses one note on the keyboard and it's enough to allow them to work out Demon Hunter. See this page and what Soul says about insanity being the source of courage. I think that because he gets that theory (which the scanlation has him admit is a bit 'convenient') it allows him to use the black blood/insanity as opposed to becoming overwhelmed by it.

Soul does indeed use the piano to transmit Maka's soul wavelength to others, but it does not look to me that that is the only thing he uses it for.
Old 2009-12-17, 15:37   Link #285
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

"Maka presses one note" Just reading this made me remember... I can't belive I forgot that.
Baka Bones it's all your fault! The chapter pretty much solidifies your point imo.

However this does support the fact that all of the times Soul & Maka made use of Madness a lage insanity wavelength was present. First there was Asura then there was The Clown and after that came Arachne...
Old 2010-12-11, 10:08   Link #286
Marik Swift
The wondering soul

Soul and Maka would make a awesome couple but something that would get in the way of their team work it's better if they just stay good partners(friends).
Old 2011-02-20, 19:00   Link #287
iloveryoma

yes! i like the idea of Maka+Soul they're partnership is great and their friendship i do wish there was a slight scene with them together but Maka does show that she gets jealous when Blair is all over Soul
Old 2011-02-21, 17:55   Link #288
Rag

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveryoma View Post
yes! i like the idea of Maka+Soul they're partnership is great and their friendship i do wish there was a slight scene with them together but Maka does show that she gets jealous when Blair is all over Soul
There was a similar scene in the manga. Book of ebon, chapter lust, or was it fear or jealously? Dammit, cant remember.

(btw, I'm a fan of soulxmaka too)
Closed Thread