AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2007-08-09, 10:44   Link #1341
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Booklet translations

魔導師ランク試験 - Mage Rank Examination

As the judicial administrator in the inter-dimensional world, the Time Space Adminstration Bureau established the "Mage Rank Examinations" as a form of qualifications assessment for mages. Depending on the direction of magical training, the examination is classified into healing, development, scholarship, and other fields of study; the mage ranking for battle-related magic is split depending on the area where it is to be used, namely Ground or Air battle. These mage ranks do not simply measure magic power or the strength of combat abilities. Instead, they are proof of "the ability to accomplish the prescribed actions in a course of study."
Also, on average Armed Forces member are usually ranked D~C, while B rank is known to many Air/Ground mages to be an unpassable wall at first.

シューティングアーツ - Shooting Arts
Melee combat techniques focused on using magic-powered rollers. Used by Subaru.
The main feature of Shooting Arts is that the user can maintain their balance freely while on rollers, by controlling the advance, acceleration, and braking of the rollers. Therefore, this allows the entire body's force to be used in assaulting or offensive maneuvers.
The basics of Shooting Arts includes a combination with the Belka magic style, a style used by front-liners interested in weapons, body-enhancement, and direct combat.
TL note: So why the heck is it called Shooting Arts? Beats me. Sounds like it's mainly used to control the rollers and let them smash those knuckles into people. Hard.

Ground Battlefield Simulator and
Mana Conversion Type to come in a few days.
Old 2007-08-09, 10:52   Link #1342
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
TL note: So why the heck is it called Shooting Arts? Beats me. Sounds like it's mainly used to control the rollers and let them smash those knuckles into people. Hard.
Well that explains why it was Ginga that taught Subaru shooting arts.
Old 2007-08-09, 10:53   Link #1343
Liingo
Love Hina?

Thanks Alot Selkirk, cookies for all your work

Also, on average Armed Forces member are usually ranked D~C, while B rank is known to many Air/Ground mages to be an unpassable wall at first.

Well at least we know now why the generic troops always get their butts kicked..... Only D-C on average....

That's really weird... that has nothing to do with shooting...
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 10:56   Link #1344
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Thanks.

And Shooting Arts is... well, I'd expected something like that. So, it's mainly the art of roller mobility. *jots down stuff*

And B-rank being an unpassable wall for many Air mages? I can understand Ground, but aren't Air dudes supposed to be way more elite? Or are they referring to the Ground Forces's Air Armed Forces?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 06:36   Link #1345
Bloodseeker

You know what I just realized? I couldn't care less about any of this season's loli characters, sans Vita. (whom I'm liking a lot more this time around) Caro's the only member of the forwards that I don't really care about (her only interesting quality is that badass dragon that she summoned at the end of episode 17), Lutecia's pretty boring, and while Vivio looks adorable, she doesn't really act it.

I suppose that some people consider Agito (awesome) and Rein (likable) lolis, but they look more like flat-chested teenagers than pre-pubescent girls to me. (kinda like Flonne and Etna from Disgaea)
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 08:29   Link #1346
Strike-Freedom

i just realized that ep 16 and 17 were just uploaded so i know what ill watch in bout 10 mins ^^
Strike-Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 12:11   Link #1347
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

More DVD #1 booklet translations

陸戦空間シミュレータ - Ground Battlefield Simulator

Designed by Shario, and under the full supervision of Nanoha, a Simulator which generates pseudo-terrain for training Ground Battle Mages. Can be configured to a variety of settings, from urban areas to forests, complete with buildings, obstacles and other terrain conditions, thus drastically reducing the time spent in relocation during training. For Nanoha and the Forwards, the majority of their time at Riot 6 is spent in this area.

魔力変換資質「電気」 - Mana Conversion Affinity [Electricity]
Among mages, there are rare cases where individuals possess an innate ability, called a [Mana Conversion Affinity], which allows them to naturally convert Mana directly into a physical energy. What normally requires regulation via Magic, these abilities allow conversion to occur spontaneously. It becomes simple to convert one's own Mana into energy, and when Mana is converted intentionally, this can even occur at high efficiency. An individual can only have one type of affinity. Among Riot 6 members, Fate and Erio have an [electricity]-type affinity, while Signum has a [flame]-type affinity.

Meh. Overall, these two weren't too interesting I suppose. Nothing you couldn't really tell just from the name .
Spoiler for suggestions for next thing to translate?:
Also, FYI, I'll probably start to update the status of AS-Nano projects in my sig. お楽しみに!
Old 2007-08-15, 15:15   Link #1348
lightl

@ selkirk
ディバインバスター・エクステンション - Divine Buster ・ Extension
鋼の軛 - Steel Yoke
lightl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 17:27   Link #1349
An Hero in Disguise
Human

I'd like to see Reconnaissance Magic and AMF articles translated.
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 02:19   Link #1350
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Kinda busy, so I haven't been translating much recently. Anyway, here are the rest of the booklet title translations, including A's and the new StS DVD.
Any help to translate this mountain of info would be appreciated . Since otherwise, none of this will ever be seen in English in all probability.
Spoiler for long:

Non-spell items have been highlighted, since usually those are most interesting (at least to me). So yeah, it'll take a while before I get the motivation to tl most of the spells (and repeats).

Last edited by selkirk; 2007-08-25 at 02:32.
selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 02:31   Link #1351
Liingo
Love Hina?

Thanks for the translations Selkirk.

While I'd love to help, I don't know enough Japanese to do much...(Only started this year.)
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 03:39   Link #1352
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Kinda busy, so I haven't been translating much recently. Anyway, here are the rest of the booklet title translations, including A's and the new StS DVD.
Any help to translate this mountain of info would be appreciated . Since otherwise, none of this will ever be seen in English in all probability.
Spoiler for long:

Non-spell items have been highlighted, since usually those are most interesting (at least to me). So yeah, it'll take a while before I get the motivation to tl most of the spells (and repeats).
You have to be kidding, indeed... I knew these 3 episodes would be some of the juiciest since terms and names were thrown about without much substance behind their revelation, (( the next parts being the prophecy/3 Admirals/history lessons ))... but seriously, some of those things there made me lol because it felt worth knowing and yet... not. Do we need to know stuff like high altitude recovery, the Mid-childan way or their motor mobiles?

Worst of all, I can't find the little details with decent substance like this in the Nanoha-wiki bar magic descriptions and such... unless I missed out somewhere.

聖王教会 - Saint Church
レリック - Relic < - Meh, I doubt there's anything of substance inside the booklet.
出力リミッター/能力限定 - Output Limiter / Ability restriction

AMF濃度 - AMF Concentration
竜魂召喚 - Dragon Soul Summon

魔導師の食事 - A mage's diet
レリックウェポン - Relic Weapon

I think what I would like translated is quite obvious...however meaningless it is...

Take your sweet time. No one's on urge... Speaking of which, do you have the raw text of these descriptions, or do you type out the raw Japanese + the translation when you complete one?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 05:01   Link #1353
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Worst of all, I can't find the little details with decent substance like this in the Nanoha-wiki bar magic descriptions and such... unless I missed out somewhere.
Which is why I think it's worth putting the effort into translating these . I'm also working on something which may be of interest to OC'ers, but I'll need to translate quite a lot of the technical information... kinda makes me wish there were an English NanohaWiki though. *hint hint* to anyone with webspace. Not that we have enough info for that yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Take your sweet time. No one's on urge... Speaking of which, do you have the raw text of these descriptions, or do you type out the raw Japanese + the translation when you complete one?
#2. Normally it doesn't take too long to type out the raw script... usually the thing that takes the longest is trying to phrase the insane run-on sentences in English . But if there's anyone that can type Japanese/chinese, and could help type out raw scripts, that'd be a great help too.

Last edited by selkirk; 2007-08-25 at 05:18.
Old 2007-08-25, 13:40   Link #1354
Mirificus

From the image thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Actually, it says even less than that. It is in their qualifications section, not as a previous post.
I guess I wasn't taking that section literally.

Quote:
Further, IIRC, as of age 15, Nanoha is still a 2nd Class Aviation Lieutenant. That's not high enough for a company command, usually.
Right, that rank would be appropriate for a platoon-sized unit. A company would typically be commanded by a captain.

Quote:
Nanoha simply burrowed into a specialty, and since Fate's on ship as an Executive Officer, she'd have de facto experience as a company commander (IIRC, a ship like Asura carries more than one platoon of busoukyoukuin).
Well, the less command experience they have, the easier it would be to pull strings to get them in the unit. Now they're in command of fireteam-sized units.

Quote:
My read of it is that it is a rank in their "Sailing Force" (I've decided to close my eyes and pretend I'm reading Midchildran, not English) rank system, as well as a post requiring a special qualification. Ranks that sound like posts are hardly unknown on Earth - such as "Squadron Leader", "Wing Commander" and "Group Captain", all courtesy of the RAF. In the 30s, the Soviets had an entire series of positional ranks before they decided to go back to more conventional officer ranks in mid-WWII, and the positional ranks apparently remained in unofficial favor for some time.
That makes sense. I'm aware of the RAF ranks and ranks like Brigadier but I haven't seen XO treated like that before. Normally, you would have to be the XO of something.

Quote:
Me too. Then we'd see whether RF6 is her first crack at command or not.
I'm kind of getting the feeling that Hayate never had any command opportunities as a company-grade officer since she's spent so much of her career in the inspectorate division. A lieutenant colonel would normally warrant a battalion or squadron-sized unit. RF6 probably has a greater combat strength than an equivalently-sized TSAB combat unit but just how much greater is unknown. RF6 is still small even if it is a special forces unit. By comparison, SEAL teams, under a navy commander (O-5), have over 100 operators.

Quote:
To be fair, at least they did refrain from firing the really heavy guns when we know the limiters were on, so maybe it is just them knowing how to live with their limitations. But you are right that they should have gotten into more trouble with those limiters.
While this doesn't justify the lazy writing, if the Aces haven't done any substantial training with their limiters off, then they'll be lacking in current and relevant experience when they actually do have them off. As grossly inept as it is, one would hope that the TSAB wouldn't overlook something like that.

On the other hand, at the end of A's Hayate immediately knew how to use the Book of Darkness appropriately and effectively without having had any prior experience which brings which brings us right back to lazy writing.

Last edited by Mirificus; 2008-06-26 at 21:42.
Mirificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 19:59   Link #1355
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirificus View Post
I'm kind of getting the feeling that Hayate never had any command opportunities as a company-grade officer since she's spent so much of her career in the inspectorate division.
Similar feelings here.

Quote:
A lieutenant colonel would normally warrant a battalion or squadron-sized unit. RF6 probably has a greater combat strength than an equivalently-sized TSAB combat unit but just how much greater is unknown.
I suspect that due to the ranking system, it has roughly the same overall combat coefficients (in the opinion of the personnel officer formalizing the allocation) as a battalion-level unit.

Which kind of makes one shudder. If the combat coefficient of a TSAB battalion (hundreds of effectives) is only 5 AAs (or thereabouts) and 4 Bs, what kind of officers make up an ordinary battalion with the allocation split among hundreds of men?

Quote:
While this doesn't justify the lazy writing, if the Aces haven't done any substantial training with their limiters off, then they'll be lacking in current and relevant experience when they actually do have them off. As grossly inept as it is, one would hope that the TSAB wouldn't overlook something like that.
I would suspect that's one of the reasons why Nanoha practices with her boys. It is not only her boys that are getting the experience. Nanoha is also working out things like how much she can expect her bullets to slow and all that.

Quote:
On the other hand, at the end of A's Hayate immediately knew how to use the Book of Darkness appropriately and effectively without having had any prior experience which brings which brings us right back to lazy writing.
I personally marked that up to Reinforce helping her out.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 20:59   Link #1356
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

I should probably mention that Fate's "Executive Officer" should be her rank/post as 執務官 (shitsumukan), or as commonly known in the fansubs, Enforcer.
Still, I'm interested to know if anyone can puzzle out what the heck Caro's Spot training is . And with things like "employment beast" for 使い魔 (tsukaima)... I think we're all better off ignoring the cards for any in-depth discussion using real-world English equivalents.
Old 2007-08-25, 21:09   Link #1357
arkhangelsk

Quote:
I should probably mention that Fate's "Executive Officer" should be her rank/post as 執務官 (shitsumukan), or as commonly known in the fansubs, Enforcer.
Still, I'm interested to know if anyone can puzzle out what the heck Caro's Spot training is . And with things like "employment beast" for 使い魔 (tsukaima)... I think we're all better off ignoring the cards for any in-depth discussion using real-world English equivalents.
Actually, "Employment Beast" is a great idea (accidentally or on purpose, and since I bet Seven Arcs saw Triad fansubs, they must know the correct English term is familiar). It is a synthetic construct that is not culturally specific, and thus is somewhat more believable as Midchildran than familiar.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 00:03   Link #1358
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I suspect that due to the ranking system, it has roughly the same overall combat coefficients (in the opinion of the personnel officer formalizing the allocation) as a battalion-level unit.
The structure of the unit makes it difficult to hold a credible reserve since it doesn't have a third unit equivalent to Stars/Lightning nor an equivalent to a heavy weapons company. There isn't enough transport to support a third ground maneuver element anyways. As it stands, there's no organic transport to move Stars and Lighting separately by air so even those can't really be treated as independent maneuver elements. Using the Aces separately from the forwards makes for unbalanced combat groups which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it makes RF6 more unwieldy when its commander is already found wanting.

It would be more difficult to use a true triangular unit so inappropriately as has been demonstrated in the show. It kind of makes you wonder what kind of base TOE RF6 is using or if it is using any at all.

Quote:
Which kind of makes one shudder. If the combat coefficient of a TSAB battalion (hundreds of effectives) is only 5 AAs (or thereabouts) and 4 Bs, what kind of officers make up an ordinary battalion with the allocation split among hundreds of men?
This is where the limited mage ranks per unit make things very ugly.

Normally a company CO only represents a small fraction of the units combat strength since they're still really one rifleman out a couple hundred. A battalion CO might have a rifle but the rifle is really only for personal defense as they can do far more through commanding their unit than acting as a rifleman. The CO of a combat unit in the TSAB really needs to be an experienced mage and ideally one that can fly so that they have the mobility to go anywhere the unit needs to go as the situation demands. If they aren't a mage or can't fly, then they really need an adjutant with equivalent powers. If you have neither, then you're left with a CO that can't make any personal observations of the frontline, no one act as a liaison with other units that are deployed in the air and perform similar functions.

Any mage power you allocate to the CO and adjutant, leaves the unit with less combat strength to distribute to its component units and you really need to make at least three companies worth and each of those companies will need a company commander capable of commanding from the frontline. Battalion executive officers also play an important role but by then how many mage ranks do you have left to use? I can kind of picture TSAB battalions consisting almost entirely of service and support. If you run out of mage ranks, since you can't use conventional weapons, their really isn't anything else to fill out the balance of the unit.

Even with perfect communication, a TSAB CO can't be expected to fight well and command several companies at the same time. If they take the time to fight, then they can't focus on commanding and lose combat power indirectly. If they take time to command, then they're losing combat power directly. In RF6's case, the CO's nominal combat strength is greater than any of its component units leaving the CO with a nasty dilemma.

Quote:
I would suspect that's one of the reasons why Nanoha practices with her boys. It is not only her boys that are getting the experience. Nanoha is also working out things like how much she can expect her bullets to slow and all that.
They really should be training the way they intend to fight. Training to fight in two different ways greatly increases the amount of training needed.

Quote:
I personally marked that up to Reinforce helping her out.
Reinforce could probably have helped her directly once they were unisoned. Everything else would have had to happen telepathically. Losing the original Reinforce hurt in more ways than one.

Last edited by Mirificus; 2007-08-27 at 21:49.
Mirificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 01:47   Link #1359
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Booklet translations

ディバインバスター・エクステンション - Divine Buster ・ Extension

A 「Bombardment spell」 fired and effected from Mana.
Mana concentrated to high density allows the target to be hit directly at long range, with no decrease in power over distance.
The first offensive spell that Nanoha memorized, after 10 years it has remained one of her favorites, and has also become one of her specialty spells.

探査魔法 - Reconnaissance Magic
Probes the target object using magic.
While Hayate's abilities are focused on 「Offensive support」, since Shamal specializes in 「Defensive support」 abilities, she is proficient in backup abilities including communications, reconnaissance, and healing.
After conducting reconnaissance on the Gadget Drones, Shamal used the information to direct Vita and the others.

鋼の軛 - Steel Yoke

A spell which uses restricting bands generated from Mana to stop the target's movements.
Originally a spell used to restrict, capture or impede a target, however, it is also possible to use it offensively by directly stabbing a target.

AMF
An abbreviation for Anti Magilink-Field.
An advanced Field-type magic defense which nullifies and prevents any magical effects or Mana linking within range.

As AMF concentration increases, the time before linked Mana is unbound becomes shorter. A Type I drone's expansion field has a concentration of 60-80%, while a Type III drone's generator field has a concentration of over 100% (120~200%); therefore, the area of effect is also configured to be wider.

魔導師の食事 - A mage's diet

For mages, Mana in the atmosphere is linked together in an organ, the "Linker core", and stored within their body. For quick replenishment, a balanced diet consisting of sugars, carbohydrates and proteins is essential, as are a variety of vitamins and minerals to maintain a healthy body. Therefore out of necessity, mages undergoing hard training during their early growth period eat a much larger diet compared to an ordinary person. Furthermore, pasta and other noodle-type foods are easily digested, so these types of food, known as 「Loading Foods」, are loved by many mages, since they allow for quick energy and Mana replenishment.

Last edited by selkirk; 2007-08-26 at 02:25. Reason: different choice of words
Old 2007-08-26, 02:01   Link #1360
Aaron008R

Thanks for the translations, selkirk!

Quote:
探査魔法 - Reconnaissance Magic
Probes the target object using magic.
While Hayate's abilities are focused on 「Offensive support」, since Shamal specializes in 「Defensive support」 abilities, she is proficient in backup abilities including communications, reconnaissance, and healing.
After conducting reconnaissance on the Gadget Drones, Shamal used the information to direct Vita and the others.
So those are her specializations...

Quote:

鋼の軛 - Steel Yoke

A spell which uses restricting bands generated from Mana to stop the target's movements.
Originally a spell used to restrict, capture or impede a target, however, it is also possible to use it offensively by directly stabbing a target.
So he was using Steel Yoke all these times?
It doesn't help that he yells "TEEEOOOAAAHHHH!!" instead of "Steel Yoke!" during his attacks.

Quote:
AMF
An abbreviation for Anti Magilink-Field.
An advanced Field-type magic defense which nullifies and prevents any magical effects or Mana fusion within range.

As AMF concentration increases, the time before fused Mana is unbound becomes shorter. A Type I drone's expansion field has a concentration of 60-80%, while a Type III drone's generator field has a concentration of over 100% (120~200%); therefore, the area of effect is also configured to be wider.
They sure put a lot of detailing here, only to have it relatively ignored during most of the series. Well, at least it showed it's worth during the GC attack.

Quote:

魔導師の食事 - A mage's diet

For mages, Mana in the atmosphere is fused together in an organ, the "Linker core", and stored within their body. For quick replenishment, a balanced diet consisting of sugars, carbohydrates and proteins is essential, as are a variety of vitamins and minerals to maintain a healthy body. Therefore out of necessity, mages undergoing hard training during their early growth period eat a much larger diet compared to an ordinary person. Furthermore, pasta and other noodle-type foods are easily digested, so these types of food, known as 「Loading Foods」, are loved by many mages, since they allow for quick energy and Mana replenishment.
So that explains the ginormous mounds of spaghetti that the forwards seem to consume all the time.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote