AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 98 56.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 26.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-07, 12:17   Link #221
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Hmmmm... the scenes you cite don't necessarily seem all that clear to me--certainly not as clear as the moment when Ranka realized how she could sympathize with Mao. I still think there's some ambiguity on Sheryl's side, and although I think she does understand in many ways where Alto is coming from, she seems too relentless with her teasing to fully get Alto's difficulties. IIRC, in the school episode, she was using the whole "Princess" thing to her advantage, and if there's any sore spot directly related to the past with Alto, it's that. Indeed, in this ep, there is the jibe about cross-dressing thrown in by her also. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything malicious about this, but I think you're overstating the degree to which Sheryl understands Alto's family difficulties. After all, his reactions to Michel show that all the teasing DOES NOT help him; Alto could use some tough love, but of the sort Ozma gave him. Michel's just being a bit of a pompous jerk IMO when he teases Alto, while Sheryl is sometimes just a bit too playful for both his and her own good.
Ranka's empathy with Mao demonstrates her inner conflict with Sheryl, based on the fact that on one hand Sheryl is someone whom Ranka really admires, and who is clearly looking out for Ranka, but at the same time represents the distance that exists between herself and Alto. Likewise, Ranka's reaction to not knowing about Alto's past in this episode, or her shock when questioning Alto about his time at the Zentradi mall, again tie back into that distance that she feels with him. Everytime she learns about one of Alto's secrets, it feels as if she never knew him at all.

While Ranka's resolve to play Mao expresses much about Ranka's feelings for Sheryl, it reveals much less about her feelings for Alto, at least from a direct standpoint. While the jealousy implies that Ranka is afraid of losing Alto, it also doesn't reveal why she wants to "keep" him in the first place (although you could probably make some decent guesses about where her fear of loss originates from). That's why I suggested that the love triangle need not be so much about the girls' interest in Alto as it is about exploring the resulting strain on their relationship with each other. I think the allusion to Mao, if anything, reinforces that. So I suspect that one of the primary conflicts that Ranka faces as a character will revolve around how she resolves and sublimates this feeling.

Even though Sheryl enjoys teasing Alto, there is definitely a serious element at work; the two have had some very serious conversations in the past. Even in this episode, you can see that between bursts of teasing, she does watch him quite closely, and her words to him at the beach hut get right to the heart of his dilemma. Even her awareness that Alto isn't ready to share his past with her demonstrates an acute understanding of Alto's circumstances.

The school episode demonstrates this as well. Alto would have never have accepted forgiveness from Sheryl had she simply handed it out to her; in episode three, he revealed to her that he hates taking concessions from anyone. But at the same time, he did have some guilt over the incident, based on his reaction to Sheryl. If you look closely behind all the banter, Sheryl gives Alto a very simple task to allow him to atone: to share his greatest passion with her.

Alto definitely needs a fair bit of teasing to come out of his shell. He tends to be rather serious and introverted, otherwise. Even during the date, Alto was initially resistant, but when he actually got into it, he started taking Sheryl around on his own accord. So that push really is important for him.

Sheryl's greatest difficulties come in dealing with her own tumult of feelings, which tend to drag her into all sorts of problems. But overall, she has a lot in common with Alto both in approach to her career and her mentality, which is why she usually has a good grasp of what he needs.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:11   Link #222
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy View Post
Don't know if someone mentioned this before but the OP lyrics just crack me up. Especially after this episode. A peek into future relationship complications, perhaps? Then from who's point of view is it singing from...
I don't think it's a "peek in the future" song anymore. I mean, it WAS in episode 1, but since they're going to be changing the OP theme really soon, I believe everyone knows which girl this song was pertaining to. And yes, I did hear that this song was labeled from SDF Macross love triangle--Misa perspective--but really, an SDF Macross song in a whole new different Macross story? Why do that when a lot of people have been complaining about how Triangler doesn't fit the OP theme? Just the fact that the producers chose this song tells us a lot. That's the best logic I can come up with if I look at how things played out in the story.

Besides, just look at the words:

"It hurts. You say you're my friends, but you don't love me" ---Can they be more obvious? Please, the OP song points to Ranka. Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy
To tell the truth, I was quite put off by the preview episode of Macross F. I just absolutely LOATH damsel-in-distress crap. The scene with Ranka just sitting there being vulnerable to attack just made me want to punch her into normal survival instincts. Good thing that I reconsidered and decided to watch the series three-days ago and realized her inability to react properly to danger had to do with a past trauma.
I hate damsels-in-distress too, and clingy fanservice-y girls with tiny voices who keep calling oniichan--I'm talking about girls from Gift, Da Capo, Canvas. I just want to roll my eyes everytime, but surprisingly, Ranka doesn't do that to me. It's probably because unlike those annoying harem girls, Ranka here actually has more depth, potential, a great VA, and plus, the storywriters gave her a 'down-to-earth' feeling. All of those factors make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
We have no idea of the extent of Macross Galaxy's technology, that voice is clearly not that persons voice, it's a females and yes her VA can do that voice in addition to her stock voice which she uses for Grace. Grace could be talking through him or even controlling him and Inoue Kikuko was credited with a role in this episode and yet Grace didn't appear.... The part before the intro in episode 7 about cybernetics and implants is not a red herring. Also why would Grace go to meet Leon as Grace? She's well known as Sheryl Nome's manager, it would be stupid of her to blow her cover in that manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisidor

Grace is reminding me more and more of Motoko Kusanagi, starting with wireless comm, uber hacking skillz and now she seems to be able to use a matrix-like agent proxy body to exchange info with Leon. Why this conclusion? If you watch carefully while Leon was talking to his subordinate and watching the VF-27 video, he receives a Confidential Message from "G" right before the scene ends. Also Inoue Kikuko, Grace O'Connor's seiyuu is credited in this episode despite the character not appearing at all. Finally we could also conclude the voice commanding Brera is her too, since Brera has a cyborg body and might come from Galaxy and infiltrated Frontier at the same time Sheryl and her arrived. As for their agenda, we'll have to wait till they reveal more.
Grace can very well be someone like Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell? If you put it that way, then I guess it's possible. The body and the voice clearly didn't match, so I guess that leaves a room for a doubt. It makes more sense actually, but I still need to watch more episodes to confirm. Also, when Leon asked her/he about a compensation, he/she showed him a crystal similar to Sheryl's earrings. Leon acted like he "gets" he/she's talking about, so it seems like Leon has access to crystals of those kinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Either way Grace will not be managing Sheryl Nome at the end of this series, I'm sure of this and it will be one of the following 3 causes. a) She's in charge of Brera, b) she gets killed after snooping around to much, c) Sheryl retires so she can finally live like a normal girl with you know who...
As for Sheryl retiring to settle down with Alto, that's only if Alto feels the same way by the end of the series. Ranka still has to pull out her trump card and it seems like her underlying problems aren't going to be solved by the first half of the series. Honestly, if you say that Ranka's going to dominate the episodes till episode 17-18 leaving like 7-8 episodes for a Sheryl finish, then that would be like Kawamori shooting the foundations of his story to a heap. It would not make sense to forsake Ranka at that point for the sake of his true "favored" heroine. If there's any forsaking here that's going to be consistent with the story, that will be Ranka's death. And frankly, I'm not even worried about that after I saw how Alto cared for her in this episode. He won't let her die. I have faith in hime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina
All that being said, I also don't think Sheryl should at all be classified as a tsundere. Tsunderes need to be genuinely angry at times, and Sheryl doesn't fit that really.
Alto cracked Sheryl too easily. ^_^

*edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Likewise, Ranka's reaction to not knowing about Alto's past in this episode, or her shock when questioning Alto about his time at the Zentradi mall, again tie back into that distance that she feels with him. Everytime she learns about one of Alto's secrets, it feels as if she never knew him at all.
Notice how the story focused on this fact rather than Sheryl's own perspective of Alto's past. You bring good analysis of Sheryl's actions, but the meat of the problem is shown from Ranka's point of view--just like how we audience are curious about Alto's, Ranka is shown to feel the same way.

Quote:
While Ranka's resolve to play Mao expresses much about Ranka's feelings for Sheryl, it reveals much less about her feelings for Alto, at least from a direct standpoint. While the jealousy implies that Ranka is afraid of losing Alto, it also doesn't reveal why she wants to "keep" him in the first place
I believe Ranka had a clearer grip of her feelings right after she witnessed their kiss. It didn't reveal less of her feelings, it's clearly the opposite. As for why, it's all over the previous episodes and the scenes preceeding the kiss.

Quote:
Sheryl's greatest difficulties come in dealing with her own tumult of feelings, which tend to drag her into all sorts of problems. But overall, she has a lot in common with Alto both in approach to her career and her mentality, which is why she usually has a good grasp of what he needs.
I don't think I'm going to go ahead and say Sheryl has a "good grasp" of what Alto needs. She plays Alto well, but that's in terms of play and nothing more. Though she can relate with Alto about show business, I don't think she shares the same mentality as Alto. Ranka fits that part of him more.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-06-07 at 13:39.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:41   Link #223
acidflower

Personally, I don't think Brera is Ranka's brother at all. I thought it was pretty obvious that when she saw his cybernetic arm, it reminded her of her brother, which is why she says "Onii-chan...." etc. I don't think Brera = Ranka's long lost brother. Besides, that'd burn my dream of ranka x brera.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:41   Link #224
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah, so I just wanted to say that unfortunately I am dropping Macross Frontier from my active blogging schedule due to changing interests and what I feel is a shift in the target demographic of the series that makes it tougher for me to want to continue writing. That and just a general lack of interest in blogging it anymore, and an increasing interest in some other things as well as work. Really I'd much rather just hang around here and discuss it with the AnimeSuki-Jin who still have their wits about them and haven't given in to the scary character fanboyness I am seeing crop up in my other haunt (the blogosphere).

It looks like Brera Stern is that catalyst for a jump kick to the storyline I was looking for. Can't wait to get around to watching this episode and not having to worry about blogging it.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:58   Link #225
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The fanboyness is an overreaction to how bad Macross 7 was.

That said, at least NUNS doesn't seem to be as stupid as the TSAB. Though... if the producer can get a real-life SH-60 Seahawk, plus LCACs, why the heck can't he get a real VF-0? Unless they were all scrapped :P

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-07, 14:06   Link #226
Westlo
Lets be reality

On second watch I have to say I really liked that music piece used when Ranka was given a standing ovation by the crowd. Was the same one used in episode 6 when Alto hanged Sheryl's earring in his cockpit and Sheryl ascended to the stage. Hopefully it's on the second OST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
As for Sheryl retiring to settle down with Alto, that's only if Alto feels the same way by the end of the series. Ranka still has to pull out her trump card and it seems like her underlying problems aren't going to be solved by the first half of the series. Honestly, if you say that Ranka's going to dominate the episodes till episode 17-18 leaving like 7-8 episodes for a Sheryl finish, then that would be like Kawamori shooting the foundations of his story to a heap. It would not make sense to forsake Ranka at that point for the sake of his true "favored" heroine. If there's any forsaking here that's going to be consistent with the story, that will be Ranka's death.
What's Ranka's trump card?.... I expect episodes 13-17 to be the point where Ranka finally makes a move. Unlike Sheryl she knows her feelings for Alto right now (sorry swamp I have to disagree on with you on this point, lets see who's right later on!) and you know why I mention 13.... I expect Sheryl to take a few episodes to think what Alto means to her and by the stage she realizes what he is to her the Ranka and Alto pairing is more entrenched which would than cast her in the underdog role... Episodes 5-10 and the coming episodes still provides a solid basis to a Sheryl and Alto ending if my scenario plays out. And like I said before I have a gut feeling that the song she wrote on the Zentradi panties will be a factor later on. Alto should know what the song is talking about when he hears the lyrics...

I really doubt we're going to get stuff like Ranka seeing Sheryl and Alto kiss again, and hang out somewhere together and overhear Sheryl on Alto's phone etc for the next 10 episodes... Also I really can't see what else they can do with Sheryl to make her develop her character when it comes to the main trio anyway. Ranka's rise to stardom doesn't mean Sheryl's career will go crashing down like a lot of Ranka fanboys hoped for a few months ago. That sort of thing just isn't logical and makes no sense, and they do different style of songs anyway... Sheryl and Ranka being related would just be too cheesy as well.. and yes Macross is cheesy but that's Aquarion level cheese...

As for your story issues if Ranka doesn't "win" you swore for your preferred True Tears pairing it was based on the story and now you admit you were deluded lol Needless to say I hope to see you write you were deluded about this pairing in 4.5 months time

Also how would making Ranka the plot winner (so to say) and Sheryl the romance winner mean he has shot the foundation of the story to pieces? If anything he has given both pretty equal focus... which is why I think the more involved in the actual plot of the show isn't going to win in the romance stakes. Or do you disagree that he has given both pretty much equal billing so far?

On an off topic note I wonder if we will ever agree on any pairing... VK aside lol, still I enjoy going back and forth with you!

Quote:
And frankly, I'm not even worried about that after I saw how Alto cared for her in this episode. He won't let her die. I have faith in hime.
It doesn't matter how much Alto cares for Ranka she can still easily die.. there's a few Kawamori series where the lovers don't end up together.. and bittersweet endings seem to be gaining popularity these days...
Old 2008-06-07, 14:46   Link #227
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Notice how the story focused on this fact rather than Sheryl's own perspective of Alto's past. You bring good analysis of Sheryl's actions, but the meat of the problem is shown from Ranka's point of view--just like how we audience are curious about Alto's, Ranka is shown to feel the same way.
You're absolutely correct about this fact. In many ways, this is Ranka's story, and most of the "narrative" is dominated by her point of view. Both Sheryl and Alto have a certain air of mystery about them, since we aren't explicitly told what they are thinking and feeling. In that sense, our perspective on those two characters exist through Ranka. That doesn't mean that they don't have their own stories to tell, though.

Although we see much of the story through Ranka's eyes, we also get to see things that she cannot. So where she looked up to Sheryl as everything that she wanted to be, she is also unaware of how much she has that Sheryl does not. Ranka has long had the support of close friends, and even an adoptive family. She has no awareness of Sheryl's lonely childhood, or about how hard Sheryl had to struggle to reach where she is. So it's understandable that like Nanase did earlier, she'd feel a certain amount of resentment about seeing Sheryl seemingly waltz in to sweep Alto away, without realizing that Alto is the only close relationship that Sheryl has.

That's why even though the focus of the story is on Ranka, it's worth taking the time to study the reactions of the other characters as well, even if they aren't made quite as explicit. Because sooner or later these characters and their personal stories are bound to link back to Ranka's own inner conflicts.

Quote:
I believe Ranka had a clearer grip of her feelings right after she witnessed their kiss. It didn't reveal less of her feelings, it's clearly the opposite. As for why, it's all over the previous episodes and the scenes preceeding the kiss.
Regarding Ranka's response, we've been seeing this brewing for the past five episodes, and its high time that it spilled over. But that wasn't really my point.

We know that Ranka is much clearer about her feelings. But to whom where those feelings directed? Was it to Alto, or to Sheryl? As Ranka points out, the crux of Mao's conflict lies with the fact that she loved the same guy as Sara, not with the fact that Mao loved Shin on its own. It seems to me that Ranka's resolution has less to do with making a commitment with Alto, and more to do with taking a stand with Sheryl.

Not that it's a bad thing for Ranka's situation for Alto, either. It's just that Ranka's realization seems more to develop her issues with Sheryl than it does with developing a connection with Alto.

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to go ahead and say Sheryl has a "good grasp" of what Alto needs. She plays Alto well, but that's in terms of play and nothing more. Though she can relate with Alto about show business, I don't think she shares the same mentality as Alto. Ranka fits that part of him more.
Hmm... I wonder. Why do people sing or fly?

I wouldn't worry so much about the common ground between Sheryl and Alto, though. I see some much bigger obstacles for them ahead, especially in the form of one recurring earring...
Old 2008-06-07, 15:02   Link #228
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Finally got to see the ep, was good over all pushing the triangle and some small background plot advancement. Hmm I wonder why the "agent" mentioned the Hydra in relation to the Vajra.

Finally, F Alto! He spurns Queen Sheryl's advances! Well not spurns but he's not acting like it's a good thing >
Old 2008-06-07, 16:17   Link #229
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Finally, F Alto! He spurns Queen Sheryl's advances! Well not spurns but he's not acting like it's a good thing >
I think you're being a bit harsh on Alto, he was deadly serious after the kiss and it was Sheryl who changed the mood of the scene.
Old 2008-06-07, 16:43   Link #230
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

I don't know if I can exactly recommend Macross Zero on the quality of the story, but the artwork is still some of the very best out there. It came out in 2005, so it isn't even close to being outdated.
I know one thing, after finishing episode 10, I went back and watched Zero again. It manage to bring a tear to me eye, especially if you substitute that French gibberish with Ranka's "Aimo".

*Sniff*

- Tak (God speed Shin, God speed)
Old 2008-06-07, 20:37   Link #231
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Great episode and connection between Zero and Frontier is going to be interesting. Now one complaint is that I don't like the girl who was acting for Sara, to me it was a kinda disrespect for Sara but really minor complaint. So now that little Mao became Dr.Mao, it really is interesting to see the further connection. The connection makes me think the possibility of Ranka and Sheryl being blood related. And really good to Ranka starting to rise in fame and I like how this love triangle is going right now, quiet amusing to watch (in a good way).
Spoiler for Macross Zero:
Old 2008-06-07, 21:08   Link #232
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Great episode and connection between Zero and Frontier is going to be interesting. Now one complaint is that I don't like the girl who was acting for Sara, to me it was a kinda disrespect for Sara but really minor complaint. So now that little Mao became Dr.Mao, it really is interesting to see the further connection. The connection makes me think the possibility of Ranka and Sheryl being blood related. And really good to Ranka starting to rise in fame and I like how this love triangle is going right now, quiet amusing to watch (in a good way).
Same status as Megaroad 1.

Nobody knows.

But if Sheryl and Ranka are cousins then it solidfies their relationship as sisters.

It's not the same rivalry of say Minmei and Hayase.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:32   Link #233
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

I'm still of the opinion that Sheryl and Ranka are closely related... which may be why the Macross Zero parallels were drawn here by injecting Ranka into Mao's role. You know, if they pull more inspiration from Zero... I can't wait to hear the groans and heated threats of the SherylxAlto 'shippers here... Or maybe having Alto die wouldn't be such a bad thing...

And Westlo? They may not necessarily be related, but given that the 117 Exploration Fleet and Dr. Mao Nome were tied together... it'd be one more way to tie the OVA into the series, and one which I think Kawamori may continue to exploit, given that it gives him a way to explore something new without totally abandoning the past (re: the Protoculture).
Old 2008-06-07, 21:43   Link #234
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
The "hostilities" are open in romance. I also can't wait how things will evolve between all of them, but I also starting to believe Ranka and Sheryl share a very very close bond as well. On the last scene, it was very delightful to wath and I wonder if we'll have a music video with Megumi Nakajima for that particular song (Aimo - Tori no Hito). There is good material for music video, that's for sure.

I wish we'll know a number of answers about the Bird-Human and the Megaroad-1 since I have the strong feeling this series can be heading towards that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Same status as Megaroad 1.

Nobody knows.

But if Sheryl and Ranka are cousins then it solidfies their relationship as sisters.

It's not the same rivalry of say Minmei and Hayase.
From all the Macross series I've watched (except Macross 7), it seems to be trademark of leaving protagonists' whereabouts unknown at the end of their own story. Only Macross Plus had a clear ending for them: I really loved the ending scene with the Voices song combined to a quote to remember.

In any case, we can feel already this isn't the same kind of rivalry between Minmei and Misa at all: Sheryl and Ranka really need each other in some way (yet to be known) despite loving the same man.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:44   Link #235
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Yeah, I basically agree. I posted earlier stating the same point you did, about the girl who acted Sara. She ruined her image, COMPLETELY for me. Its fortunate I still have access to Zero, where I can immediately cleanse myself of the plague that is Miss Macross. Otherwise, I have no idea where I'd end up.

But that episode was so beautiful (if watched in conjunction with Zero), brought a tear into me eye.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 21:55   Link #236
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, I basically agree. I posted earlier stating the same point you did, about the girl who acted Sara. She ruined her image, COMPLETELY for me. Its fortunate I still have access to Zero, where I can immediately cleanse myself of the plague that is Miss Macross. Otherwise, I have no idea where I'd end up.

But that episode was so beautiful (if watched in conjunction with Zero), brought a tear into me eye.

- Tak
Well, that's probably why we got to see Miranda Melin in a total of like six scenes... and Ranka got to upstage her during the premiere. Miss Big Juggs Melin didn't stand a chance, especially not after Sheryl immediately did the 'oh, hey' casual brush-off to greet Ranka enthusiastically.

When you're snubbed by big-name stars AND the director....
Old 2008-06-07, 22:05   Link #237
coroloro

Well, obviously Ranka will end up with Alta, and anyone ELSE who thinks otherwise is a blasted idiot and should be locked up with Barney in a cellar with a cucumber and a canary. I'm right, I'm right I say and nobody else is- and if you say different, well, you're just ... just... a dummy-head!

Obviously I was being facetious just now- in response to someone's strong feelings about shippers. On a serious note, this is my first time posting about my feelings on how a series will go- or even my feelings about who will be with who in any series. Ever. In my life. So I'm not sure about how these forums work, or how 'shippers' or such work- nor do I really take it all that seriously. I think it's pretty obvious to me the direction it will go right now, and I have pretty good intuition on these things, but I've been wrong before. It's just a cartoon- life moves on, I certainly do not plan to put anyone down over it. I cannot speak for other "Ranka fans", but at least I speak for myself. I'm allowed my own opinion, of whatever strength- you are allowed yours.

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention jsut how much I remember loving the musical themes in Macross Zero- particularly the song that is now Ranka's theme song. I think it is quite lovely how they have woven it in, and I am more than curious to see how it attaches to this plot... or if perhaps they, in some way, weave "the bird people" in with this storyline. (they haven't brought the 'bird people' plot into other Macross series storylines previously have they? I haven't followed the Macross series heavily through thick and thin myself, just here and there). I would be very delighted to see the plot seeds planted in Macross Zero come to fruition here in Frontier. And realising the connections, and the song (which, as we know from seeing Macross Zero, is the same song (do correct me if I am wrong)) makes me really excited to see what happened next.

And while some of the animation points weren't the best in the world- considering that others were "movie quality" on par with Macross Zero... well, I think they more than make up for it. You have to think, considering they DO have something called a budget, they likely tried to focus their effort on the most effects-intensive scenes and probably used some less time on the ones that seemed less crucial. I think the director/producer(s) seemed to feel that it was important enough to meet certain quality bars on the big scenes here that they would divert time from the other scenes... so far, they're definitely doing something right in this series. And I personally didn't really mind the lesser animation there, at all. It looked like 'average' animation from some of the series I've seen in recent times, and so if that is their 'lowest level' then that's not too bad. It's great that such is the exception rather than the rule.

And the rule in Macross Frontier seems to be exotic, beautiful hair animation, impressive cinematics, rich and deep colouring with little of the obvious frame-skipping even some of the best TV series animes usually have.

And to all, thanks for making my first real involvement in an anime series thread a good one
Old 2008-06-07, 22:07   Link #238
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

From another standpoint, we had a fairly good idea of Sara's perspective in Zero. By focusing on Mao, we get to revisit the same story from a completely different angle. As much as I loved Sara and Shin's interactions (there's a quote on the second page of this thread by CaptGloval detailing the most powerful scene in the original story), it's nice to see a fresh presentation of things.

Besides, my mind just can't make the connection between Miranda and Sara. Just pretend that she was actually playing a different character who happened to have similar lines.

The song in Macross Zero was sung in French, interestingly enough. I always wondered about the choice of language.
Old 2008-06-07, 22:11   Link #239
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Lucky you, today I had to format my computer and I lost my Macross Zero .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
The "hostilities" are open in romance. I also can't wait how things will evolve between all of them, but I also starting to believe Ranka and Sheryl share a very very close bond as well. On the last scene, it was very delightful to wath and I wonder if we'll have a music video with Megumi Nakajima for that particular song (Aimo - Tori no Hito). There is good material for music video, that's for sure.

I wish we'll know a number of answers about the Bird-Human and the Megaroad-1 since I have the strong feeling this series can be heading towards that.
Let's open so, I do want more of the answer to Bird Human and Megaroad-1. While I don't think Megaroad-1 will be answered ;however, I think that Bird Human will be answered. Also I do hope to see the Aimo song into music video, personally my favorite song in Frontier yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Well, that's probably why we got to see Miranda Melin in a total of like six scenes... and Ranka got to upstage her during the premiere. Miss Big Juggs Melin didn't stand a chance, especially not after Sheryl immediately did the 'oh, hey' casual brush-off to greet Ranka enthusiastically.

When you're snubbed by big-name stars AND the director....
She actually had name? What was the point of giving a useless character a name .
Old 2008-06-08, 01:27   Link #240
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Just recenty downloaded Macross Zero and rewatched all over again..

They seemed to recycle the ending animation xD