Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-13, 07:41   Link #41
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
There is no 100% smoking gun proof that the virus was a lab leak....seriously. It could be, but to say it is when no real signs point to it is pure cynicism

And no, that couple of page long, middle-school standard "research paper" from that Chinese scientist's Researchgate profile does not count. It's more likely his profile was hacked by trolls or something

Taiwan is exemplary in their response but unfortunately they are pumping out sensationalist fake news about the virus by the truck load in their propaganda war with the CCP. It does nothing other than stoke mass panic
If you haven't already forgotten, it was China that shut down city of Wuhan and jumped the gun to build a few make shifts hospital when no one was aware of anything. I would say they knew quite well about the virus they were dealing with. And this panicked reaction together with their total secrecy set off the domino effect until now. People fear of what they don't know.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 08:56   Link #42
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

OK, let's say that the fatality rate is 3%, and 60% x 3% = 1.8%
So this is UK's plan? Killing off 1.8% of their population?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-03-13, 09:57   Link #43
The Green One

Man the hysterics about this are just crazy. Not saying it's not important to be careful and practice safe hygiene and all that good stuff for avoiding illness in the first place, but this "ZOMG I gotta buy up six months worth of spam and water and hide in my bunker!" is just crazy. What're you going to do? Hide at home? Cut off all human contact? Not breathe outside air? Even hear fear mongering on the radio driving to work. Yes you should be cautious about the virus but christ people grow up and act like responsible adults. Not hysterical children.

Edit: It shouldn't need to be said, but hedging my bets. This isn't directed to anyone in this thread. This is commentary about people in general I've observed these past weeks.
Old 2020-03-13, 10:02   Link #44
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

So...my grandmother had a heart stroke in the Philippines (outlook is extremely pessimistic on that side), and my Mom now cannot reach her (Cebu Pacific has cancelled all domestic flights to and from Manila)...if only to say goodbye, because of that living piece of horse manure Duterte's latest stroke of genius. Had to cancel four flights, with a detestable waiting time on the phone, because of all the people bombarding the airline's call center.

Godd***** all.
Old 2020-03-13, 10:46   Link #45
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

If you are 60+ and/or have some sort of immunocompromised system or have multiple comorbidities (multiple disease processes at once), the corona can hit you hard. Other than that, most of us healthy peeps shouldn't be too worried if you catch it in regards to life or death. Most are mild cases for us youngins. That doesn't mean you can blow over the symptoms if you catch it, but just be aware of hygiene and stay at home unless you're having respiratory symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
So...my grandmother had a heart stroke in the Philippines (outlook is extremely pessimistic on that side), and my Mom now cannot reach her (Cebu Pacific has cancelled all domestic flights to and from Manila)...if only to say goodbye, because of that living piece of horse manure Duterte's latest stroke of genius. Had to cancel four flights, with a detestable waiting time on the phone, because of all the people bombarding the airline's call center.

Godd***** all.
Sorry my dude. My mom just told me yesterday that the PI is on lockdown. My gma and two aunts are there right now. One of my aunts is there visiting/vacationing and was supposed to fly back on the Sunday, but that's not gonna happen. Duno what she's going to do about work...

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 10:48   Link #46
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...e-u-s-does-not

Head of Harvard Global Health Institute:
Quote:
"'Our (U.S.) response is much, much worse than almost any other country that's been affected' ... He uses the words 'stunning,' 'fiasco' and 'mind-blowing' to describe how bad it is. 'And I don't understand it.'"
The Trump Administration has failed to explain adequately why the CDC refused to use the WHO-approved testing kit that the Germans developed with help from the Chinese. The notion that we needed a home-grown test was absurd. I see it as another example of the xenophobic nature of this Administration that distrusts anything from outside the US. I'd be happy to have my opinion changed if the Administration would only report clearly and accurately on why this decision was made. I'm not holding my breath.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 10:57   Link #47
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Sorry my dude. My mom just told me yesterday that the PI is on lockdown. My gma and two aunts are there right now. One of my aunts is there visiting/vacationing and was supposed to fly back on the Sunday, but that's not gonna happen. Duno what she's going to do about work...
She was supposed to fly on Sunday, but that's not going to happen anymore. Not to mention, there's always the risk of forced quarantine, either on arrival or upon return, so she had to scuttle her own plans.

Dunno about Mactan-Cebu Intl Airport. I know it was on lockdown last month because of the Chinese, but I know I can't redirect my Mom's own flights there and then have her fly to Bacolod Silay.

It's an absolute mess and both the airlines and the embassies were caught off-guard by what really sounds like another of Duterte's cases of brain damage. My mother was cursing at him as she watched him on the television make that rambling announcement, wherein he basically announced that if you have coronavirus, you're basically on your own...unless you're a government official. Forget about testing, it's too expensive...unless, of course, you're a "chosen one" from the gov.
Old 2020-03-13, 10:58   Link #48
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Testing is not available. I don't have any clue or guidance as to when testing will be available. This is extremely critical for us to contain this epidemic. Not everyone needs to be tested. Priority is important for those in close contact with seniors and the immunocompromised. The administration has made our lives difficult by painting a false narrative, we don't have kits, we have nowhere to send patients to find out if they have the virus. We don't know if this is in our community and how to protect the vulnerable. We have known for 2 months that this was coming and are still unprepared. Please don't listen to the politicians, I don't have a dog in this fight. Please rely on Dr. Fauci and the leading health professionals.
Please, please, please practice SOCIAL ISOLATION, this is the only way to mitigate this outbreak. Please don't downplay this component. Washing of hands is of the utmost importance. Don't run to the ER or urgent cares or even our office unless you are short of breath. The time to worry for most is in the second week of infection if things don't turn for the better.
Please take time to spend with your families and focus on the positive. Turn off the television as it only adds to everyone's collective anxiety. It is a time to come together.
Words from the medical director (and still practicing) of my family practice clinic I'm precepting at (not currently, students have been suspended from rotations).

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 11:01   Link #49
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

People whine too much about the government. Be glad that they're not blocking your door and leave you to die. Went to some stores yesterday and there was sign of panick shopping. There's free testing of people with symptoms today.
Old 2020-03-13, 11:24   Link #50
Psyco Diver

I'm seeing the secondary effects, I live in central North Carolina and shelves are empty. Today is our normal grocery shopping day, I told my wife get what she can and we'll make several trips to the store instead of one large trip like we normally do.

The virus is a concern for us due to my son having asthma and my 1yo daughter being born with a hole in her heart (even though it's healed enough that they barely could find it, she still at risk for complications from the flu)

I'm seeking reports Latinos seem to not be getting it as much but it's also a concern their not actually testing then in central and south America
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 12:23   Link #51
Kakurin
大佐

European countries are starting to move to a total lockdown to prevent an "italization" of their health care system. Austria actually is already there. For at least one week they will close down all stores other than supermarkets and pharmacies. Restaurants and bars can only open until 15:00.
Old 2020-03-13, 13:34   Link #52
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
OK, let's say that the fatality rate is 3%, and 60% x 3% = 1.8%
So this is UK's plan? Killing off 1.8% of their population?
Insert here "bring your dead" scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Trump Administration has failed to explain adequately why the CDC refused to use the WHO-approved testing kit that the Germans developed with help from the Chinese. The notion that we needed a home-grown test was absurd.
I can bet you a beer that whoever got the contract for said test kits gave Trump co. a bribe (in cash) for it.
--------------------------------------
It is mind boggling that at the time of this writing Italy already has 1/3 of the deaths in Hubei, China. Even if China death toll is higher, it has taken them about a month on a population that is a lot smaller.

As for latinos not getting infected, at least in my country there has been little testing. If anything we are getting plenty of vitamin D via sunlight.

Lets be grateful that here and now we have the internet to get some up to date facts, a century ago my grandmother in a small town saw the spanish flu ravage the young and healthy, fear must have been overwhelming since back then the only thing you could do was to pray.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 14:47   Link #53
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
People whine too much about the government. Be glad that they're not blocking your door and leave you to die. Went to some stores yesterday and there was sign of panick shopping. There's free testing of people with symptoms today.
When their incompetence leads to the current situation, the vitriol is more than warranted. Duterte being a Chinese shill hardly helped things at all. As for your "be glad" part? That is exactly what he's doing, without a hint of public remorse - he outright said testing is too expensive unless you're a bigwig, so you're on your own and too bad if you're infected ("there's nothing we can do for you").

Oh, and by the way, watch the news: Duterte's announcement about the lockdown starting on Sunday 15 has just triggered a significant exodus of people from Metro Manila towards the surrounding provinces. NAIA Terminal 3 (the domestic flights terminal of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport) looked rightly packed, and there are crowds of people at bus stations waiting to get out. So much for virus containment.
Old 2020-03-13, 16:25   Link #54
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
When their incompetence leads to the current situation, the vitriol is more than warranted. Duterte being a Chinese shill hardly helped things at all. As for your "be glad" part? That is exactly what he's doing, without a hint of public remorse - he outright said testing is too expensive unless you're a bigwig, so you're on your own and too bad if you're infected ("there's nothing we can do for you").

Oh, and by the way, watch the news: Duterte's announcement about the lockdown starting on Sunday 15 has just triggered a significant exodus of people from Metro Manila towards the surrounding provinces. NAIA Terminal 3 (the domestic flights terminal of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport) looked rightly packed, and there are crowds of people at bus stations waiting to get out. So much for virus containment.
This is a major problem for a lot of medical professionals. Many of us like me live in MM and also work in the outlying provinces. If the lockdown have limited exceptions a lot of medical facilities outside MM will end up understaffed.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 17:31   Link #55
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can I get some fact checking on this?
This was sent to me by a conservative family member.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...cient-trump-3/

Oh this should also give a hint about how the American Conservatives see the current administration, the world, and globalism in general (short take: they hate it, and would rather the county be self-sufficient with little to no foreign logistical needs).
Old 2020-03-13, 18:43   Link #56
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Oh this should also give a hint about how the American Conservatives see the current administration, the world, and globalism in general (short take: they hate it, and would rather the county be self-sufficient with little to no foreign logistical needs).
I don't think than I would pass as a conservative but, right now, many countries might regret a bit than than they can't get some criticals stuff because the production had been outsourced oversea. In this day and ages, a country being 100% self-sufficient is utopic but the current situation is way too likely to break somewhere.
Old 2020-03-13, 18:57   Link #57
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Switzerland has closed their border to Italy a couple days ago - the effect of this is debatable since the virus had already arrived in the country by then. The effect it has on people is remarkable. Public transport use is down to about half, everyone is doing their meetings over skype, sport clubs are barely visited anymore, and so on. We have ordered masks and related medical goods but Germany has stopped the transport over contamination risks. The government is really pissed about that as our ability to produce medical supplies is rather low.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 19:21   Link #58
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:

Ah. Duterte. At one time, he was all up in arms against China if I recall correctly. And then I guess China threw some money down his throat so he became their puppy. His attitude changed drastically.

Someone praised China's handling (which includes locking people in their homes to die if not of the virus then of hunger.) Anyways.
Old 2020-03-13, 20:46   Link #59
Psyco Diver

Well a recession is around the corner, I was talking to my wife and we planned to do allot with our tax money but now we're going to hold onto it case her or my work closes during this. I get the feeling many people will do the same, it's a sure fire way to cause a recession.

Local entertainment is pushing hard how clean their facilities are, this is going to hurt allot of local businesses for sure

I'm concerned about the virus but I'm more concerned about the ripple effect this will cause.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 21:23   Link #60
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
If you haven't already forgotten, it was China that shut down city of Wuhan and jumped the gun to build a few make shifts hospital when no one was aware of anything. I would say they knew quite well about the virus they were dealing with. And this panicked reaction together with their total secrecy set off the domino effect until now. People fear of what they don't know.
The Chinese response to CoVid-19 has nothing to do with conspiracy theories about specific knowledge of the virus in question, especially since research papers about potential Coronavirus infections by bat reservoirs were already being discussed in various virology journals, of which also explained why bats would be a cause for concern for infectious diseases.

Here is an article from Nature (2017) discussing such issues:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01513-w
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote