AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-09-02, 01:35   Link #21
Empire
Independent MS pilot

4/10, no more. For Deathscythe and his pilot.

Poor if any character development, very poor MS fights, not very good drawing, rather good music... my, I still wonder why I watched it until the end O_o
I don't want to even try about number of plot holes and illogical story events in this series. Gives me a headache.
No, it wasn't the best of all gundam series, that's for sure.

But I have to give it a credit as it did one good thing - it popularised Gundams in the western countries. Without it I probably wouldn't ever heard about Gundam.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 01:53   Link #22
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Loved Wing because of the Boy Band Syndrome, LOL. And because the GBoys were VERY efficient attackers on an SRW battlefield.

But yeah, Wing was very special because it gave me a headache trying to figure out what the heck pacifism is. And because it was my first Gundam show. Plot wise, well, you couldn't really say it was REALLY riddled with plotholes...at least they tried to make something of it to make it a little more "believable".

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 03:48   Link #23
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Wing was also the Gundam series I started with. But then I saw stuff like GX and original MSG, and Wing started to look crappy. Such convenient character survivals, and the Invincability Factor/character armor. At least in GSD when things get hit, not matter what they are, they actually take damage like they should. (with the semi-exception of Akatsuki, that invinceable beam-reflective armor was stupid)

To name one example: when Hilde was piloting a Taurus in episode 45 iirc, she took hit after hit in the back from the Vayeate's beam cannon, which was shown to take out several Taurus MS in a single shot. Not to mention the Mercurius' beam gun.
Old 2006-09-02, 04:24   Link #24
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

2/10.

[exaggeration]Wing was a craptistic attempt at trying smarten the story with needless inclusion of politically irrelevant bullshit, a craptistic attempt at creating character development that leads back to no character development, needless justification on character motives that had no shades and layers but simply bogged down by a drag down of I walk my own story, unneccesary sections of the story that was created to make sense, but leading to worse mindboggling holes, and like said, was technically nothing more than a dick measuring contest with egoistic pilots and giant robots, facaded by something called war is bad, and we need war to prove it.[/exaggeration]

In short, Wing bored me with mediocrism at every part of the series.

It wouldn't be that bad if it was mildly entertaining and get my legs shaking, be it for the right reasons or wrong, but as it stands, Wing pretty much stiffened my bones.

Worst Gundam TV series in my opinion. Both on presentation and entertainment.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 05:32   Link #25
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Comparing Wing to other Gundam series will bring it down to probably a 4-5/10. Coz I like SEED so much better than Wing. As a series alone, I liked Wing coz of the characters (although the story was kinda boring, IMO) and of course, most importantly (what I like most about Gundam in the first place), the OMGWTFness overpowered main character armored Gundams. Some of you guys think it's boring, but I always frof watching the lone Gundam just lay waste to countless grunts with 0.00001% effort. I CAME when I saw Wing Gundam 0 for the first time, transform, and bury space stations, colonies, etc. in just a single shot. And Epyon just flying through a pack of MS and suddenly, they're all in pieces.
Final battle was damn disappointing though. As a series on its own, (without taking other Gundam series into account), it'll probably go for a 6/10.

I've seen MSG, 0083, a bit of V, a bit of X, Wing (of course), and all of SEED and SEED Destiny, and what I enjoyed most was probably Destiny, since I'm one of those fanboy audiences that likes episode-length overpowered model kit commercials.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 08:55   Link #26
Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
I rate Gundam Wing: 5.5 out of 10
I changed my mind! Gundam Wing ain't that good! The plot of the AC(After Colony) saga is too short!
Gundam Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 09:01   Link #27
Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
I just don't like how they made the Oz(the enemy) mobile suits! Didn't like how they did the plot! At least they have good animation!
That's the other reason I don't like Gundam Wing!
Gundam Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 10:41   Link #28
4Tran

By most measures, Gundam Wing is a pretty weak show. It's got poor characters, an incoherent plot, muddled writing, and often dreadful dialogue. On closer examination, the conflicts in Wing don't even make sense. According to this basis, I'd rate it at 3/10.

Still, I actually enjoyed the show itself. If you don't take it too seriously, it can be fairly enjoyable. I especially liked the fact that pretty much all of the characters were insane – it was quite amusing to try to figure out what kind of crazy thing they'd do next. In this regard, Lady Une and Dorothy (and her eyebrows!) were the most entertainingly crazy; hence they were my favorite characters as well. I would rate Wing 6/10 for its enjoyment factor.

Since I'm not sure what basis the OP wanted Wing to be judged on, both are equally valid. It's a bad show, but an enjoyable one nonetheless. Incidentally, the only other Gundam show to engender such a disparity between how good it is and how much I liked it is G Gundam.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2006-09-02 at 11:00.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 12:51   Link #29
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

3/10.

I didn´t like this one bit. I strongly disliked the Gundam pilots. And the heroine. Relena. I never thought it was possible to actually dislike a character so much that I became irritated whenever she spoke.

The battles were intense but not especially exciting. The power difference between the losers and the ones destined to win was, throughout the show, far too convenient.

(Destiny has the same problem, but not to that degree.)

And the story was confusing at times. I think the idéa was good but not especially well presented. The warring factors in the show changed their status a little too often. Like in Zeta whereas people changed their allegiances based on so shallow things I couldn´t do anything but laugh at it.

But I did finish Wing. And I never finish a show if I dislike everything about it. And there was two things I did like about Wing. Treize and his woman companion (four?). She was the best character in the show. The most kickass woman ever in Gundam. Now that is a character I wouldn´t mind as the main character. Much better than characters like Kamille and Shinn.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 18:47   Link #30
4Tran

Last Hope, I think that you're talking about Lady Une (glasses and no glasses). If Dorothy could be a prominent secondary character in the show you're proposing, then you can count me in as well.
Old 2006-09-02, 19:02   Link #31
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

I don't get why you guys that like the show rate it so bad. If you enjoyed it whats the problem? I mean if the show brought you enjoyment then didn't it do it's job?
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 20:04   Link #32
4Tran

That's because it's entirely possible to like a very bad show. For example, Ikkitousen is a horrid show with almost no redeeming feature, but I still liked it. However, my liking doesn't give it any more high points nor does it make the show any better. The converse is also true: it's quite possible to hate a very good show. Berserk is a good (perhaps even great) show, but I never really liked it. I can acknowledge that it's a very good show, and I wouldn't have any problem recommending it to people who are interested in shows in its genre. Some people don't distinguish between the two, but I do; that's why I gave two different ratings.
Old 2006-09-02, 22:40   Link #33
vblaze101

Hmm....I've recently been rewatching Gundam Wing (for like the 6th time) recently, and I must say I like it even more.......for the right reasons this time. Before, it was for the flash and destruction. This time, I'm genuinely interested in the political and social atmospheres of the series. Characters like Wufei and Zechs, both whom I couldn't care less for in the past have grown on me.

In all honesty, rewatching Gundam Wing makes me wonder how come it has recieved so much hate. I've heard people refer to the political/social dialogue in Wing as "nonsense" and "poorly thought ranting," but I'm beginning to wonder if those people made those comments because 1) they simply just don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what all the dialogue within the series was getting at; 2) they were so turned off by the numerous viewpoints and ideals presented in the series, they considered it all blasphemous. I mean yeah, Gundam Wing argueably has the most used "plot MS armor" than any other Gundam anime and the story gets a bit drawn out in those last 10 or 12 episodes......and I admit Relena isn't the most rational heroine, but other than those things (which aren't really all too serious), I think Gundam Wing is a great anime. I wish they'd make a Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game for the Wing universe.
vblaze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 23:31   Link #34
Darth_Nihilus

9/10

Its my favorite gundam series, and probably my favorite anime series. Interesting story, cool suits, cool pilots, thats all I need. Much better than what we got in the CE universe. I let a friend of mine borrow my dvd's and he liked it as well(although I had to explain some things for him), and he's not an anime guy.
Darth_Nihilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 03:31   Link #35
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
Last Hope, I think that you're talking about Lady Une (glasses and no glasses). If Dorothy could be a prominent secondary character in the show you're proposing, then you can count me in as well.
I actually meant to write Sechs and Four. I´m so bad with names in anime that it´s silly. But you can most definitely count Dorothy in and in all honesty. Treize and Lady Une isn´t boring characters either. The "bad guys" really should have won in Wing.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 04:45   Link #36
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Treize most probably was the closest thing you can get to the 'good guy' in the series No way in hell can i clasify the 5 pilots as 'good guys' in wing. They are basicly hitmans with giant MS.
Old 2006-09-03, 22:56   Link #37
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Hope
I actually meant to write Sechs and Four. Iīm so bad with names in anime that itīs silly. But you can most definitely count Dorothy in and in all honesty. Treize and Lady Une isnīt boring characters either.
Oh, I think that you're talking about Zechs and Noin. They would never use the name "Four" in another Gundam show; Quatre is probably as close as they're ever going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblaze101
In all honesty, rewatching Gundam Wing makes me wonder how come it has recieved so much hate. I've heard people refer to the political/social dialogue in Wing as "nonsense" and "poorly thought ranting," but I'm beginning to wonder if those people made those comments because 1) they simply just don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what all the dialogue within the series was getting at; 2) they were so turned off by the numerous viewpoints and ideals presented in the series, they considered it all blasphemous. I mean yeah, Gundam Wing argueably has the most used "plot MS armor" than any other Gundam anime and the story gets a bit drawn out in those last 10 or 12 episodes......and I admit Relena isn't the most rational heroine, but other than those things (which aren't really all too serious), I think Gundam Wing is a great anime. I wish they'd make a Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game for the Wing universe.
I know that a while back, it was pretty fashionable to hate Gundam Wing. Back then, it was mostly a reaction to how popular the show was in North America. But I don't think that that's as much of an issue now. The thing is, Wing really does feature some horrible writing and dialogue, so it's quite legitimate to dislike it for that reason. Part of the problems was that it tried to do far more than the creators were capable of pulling off. They tried to present it as some sort of study into the philosophical pinnings of war, but they couldn't do so in anything more than a superficial manner, with facile solutions, et al.

While I don't think that Relena made the most sane choices in Wing, I don't really think that she was the cause of the problems. I think that people tend to complain about her because she makes for an easy target more than anything else. I'd say that Treize and Zechs make for much worse characters.
Old 2006-09-03, 23:32   Link #38
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
I'd say that Treize and Zechs make for much worse characters.
How the heck do you consider Zechs a bad character? Your standards must be sky high!
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 23:36   Link #39
tritoch

Honestly, the series was so-so but I thoroughly enjoyed Endless Waltz.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 23:53   Link #40
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster192
How the heck do you consider Zechs a bad character? Your standards must be sky high!
Not really. Zechs is a bad character for the exact reasons that make Char from CCA a bad character. They're erratically written, and have stupid plans. I don't really mind insane characters, but they have to be insane in an entertaining manner. Zechs doesn't manage to achieve the former, but not the latter.