AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 41 39.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 18.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.96%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-01, 20:46   Link #41
moyism
Wannabe Smut Writer

Seems like the episode is getting mixed reviews. Personally, I laughed my arse off for the majority of it. Loved the Shiraishi ED though I never want to see another like it again; it was good as a one time joke but yea...

BTW, though I think QBnoYouko may have mentioned it, did anyone else notice the guy-on-guy confession involved Shiraishi's character? That was just pure WIN in my books!
Old 2007-07-01, 21:16   Link #42
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Here's the very special ED:

Spoiler for ED #13:
Old 2007-07-01, 21:51   Link #43
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Epic ending or EPIC-EST ending?
Old 2007-07-01, 22:14   Link #44
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

This episode is so full of win that I gave it a 10 without waiting for the sub! Between Yugi-Oh refs and "Uguu" and Kagami-sama and the weird end and frogs doing the next episode preview... two thumbs up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
About the ED, not sure if everyone knows it is a parody of a parody. To be specific, the part in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 10, where Taniguchi finds Kyon and Yuki in the floor; Taniguchi enters the room "singing" Wa-wa-wasuremono (translated by a.f.k. as "I for-for-forgot my..."). This part later spawned lots of fanmade anime videos and songs including this "lyrics".

In other words, the staff of Kyoto Animation do really browse otaku sites .
How much do you wanna bet that the two extra people are Tomakazu Sugita and Minori Chihara?

Old 2007-07-01, 22:38   Link #45
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. niconico douga: I don't think there's any kind of ban/delay on non-Japanese viewers. I only had problems when my registration was at too high a number. They eventually broadened the range to include me. I think it's best to just sign up and wait for your number to come within the range for viewing. ttp://www.nicovideo.jp/ There are lots of interesting videos on that site. Check the little box under the picture to turn off the scrolling comments.

2. broadcast time: The way Japanese sites express broadcast times is deeply confusing. Newspaper and online TV listings are normally put in what might be called "28-hour time." If a show is on at 1 am late Sunday night, it is said to be on at 25:00 Sunday rather than 1:00 Monday.

Lucky Star is first broadcast at midnight Sunday night on Chiba TV. This is normally put as 24:00 Sunday. However, on the Lucky Star site, it is listed as "Sunday late night 0:00-0:30." Some other sites use this notation, others use the 24+ hour notation (which I prefer).

In any case, the official site lists 16 different channels around the country, each with a different broadcast day/time. TV Saitama shows it at 24:30 Sunday, RKK Kumamoto at 26:20 Sunday, KBS Kyoto at 25:30 Monday, etc.
Spoiler for who wrote the ep13 ED:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-01, 23:29   Link #46
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I sometimes wondered how many people here actually laugh at the jokes in Lucky Star. I know that I miss most of the punchline and I don't even get the Yugi Oh reference. As for the ending, it shows just how Japanese this anime is. Most of non Japanese viewers will never understand the ending at all. Ever. All I knew is, this song was also sang by one of Kyon's friend in Haruhi when he stumbled Kyon in compromising situation with Yuki.

As someone point out, this is really anime of 2 ch. From Tommy Lee Jones to jokes of karate master, this anime really covered everything under the rising sun meme. The modern version. Well, it is fascinating sociological study on pop culture, one thing for sure.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2007-07-01 at 23:44.
Old 2007-07-01, 23:56   Link #47
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I sometimes wondered how many people here actually laugh at the jokes in Lucky Star.
I do, especially at non-otaku references. Yeah but I know more about J-culture than most otakus, that's why it's LOL for me. Old JPOP and sentai TV show reference like KyonKyon-isms really killed me. It works for me but I really don't know how many people like myself live in the West.

This show really is aiming at a very limited audience, and from the ED of this episode, I think that audience is KyoAni themselves. This show is just the guys and gals having fun at expense of the otakus, since they'll eat it up anyway. The show made fun of everything KyoAni made and the culture of otakus, and within they splice it with obsure or anti-otaku J-culture references an ordinary otaku will miss. For example, even kj1980 missed the Batsu Gamu reference in EP 12. I think it's just a HUGE inside joke broadcasted on TV, and it's going to make bank for them. Man, it must be a blast working for KyoAni.
Old 2007-07-02, 00:05   Link #48
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I do, especially at non-otaku references. Yeah but I know more about J-culture than most otakus, that's why it's LOL for me. Old JPOP and sentai TV show reference like KyonKyon-isms really killed me. It works for me but I really don't know how many people like myself live in the West.

This show really is aiming at a very limited audience, and from the ED of this episode, I think that audience is KyoAni themselves. This show is just the guys and gals having fun at expense of the otakus, since they'll eat it up anyway. The show made fun of everything KyoAni made and the culture of otakus, and within they splice it with obsure or anti-otaku J-culture references an ordinary otaku will miss. For example, even kj1980 missed the Batsu Gamu reference in EP 12. I think it's just a HUGE inside joke broadcasted on TV, and it's going to make bank for them. Man, it must be a blast working for KyoAni.
Hence my underlying complaint about Lucky Star. It feels like Kyoto Animation making this anime for their own amusement and laugh at the uncomprehending audience especially non Japanese ones. Talk about self smugness.

Another poster in the forum also said the same thing, the jokes in Lucky Star is really niche jokes, and even he, a long time anime fan and Japanese fluent did not get some of the jokes in Lucky Star.
Old 2007-07-02, 00:26   Link #49
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Honestly now, did ANYONE here really expect Lucky☆Star to not have niche humor? I mean, the promo art features GIRLS PLAYING WII. The #1 character we knew about before it aired was Konata, and that was only for her reputation as a super otaku. And since this is Kyoto Animation we're talking about, since when did they NOT make niche anime? I'm not even sure if Full Metal Panic counts...

I came into this knowing full well that this show was going to be full of references that I may not get, sort of like Azumanga Daioh and Pani Poni Dash mixed together. That's why it's a hit-and-miss show, because not everyone will get it, that's for certain. But since I expected it to begin with, it doesn't really bother me that much. The stuff I do get does indeed amuse me, and these forums are quite helpful for filling me in on what I missed.

Anyway, far be it from me to deny the Kyoto Animation staff their right to have fun with a show. I mean, it's not like it's at our expense, unless you're paying for every episode of Lucky☆Star you've seen, or are watching it at gunpoint...

And besides, it certainly sounds incredibly self-smug to think that Kyoto Animation produced Lucky☆Star for the purpose of laughing at non-Japanese viewers. Are they making anime now solely for people who watch fansubs? Maybe they do have a right to laugh at the uncomprehension of non-Japanese people using legally questionable RAWs and fansubs to view their shows without paying.
Old 2007-07-02, 00:31   Link #50
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
As for the comments of Kyoani's giant "inside joke"...

References abound in all media. This is just a unique situation where references are blatant and part of the appeal.

They seem to be having a great time including references to everything under the sun. ...but why does it mean they're doing it at any one else's expense?
Old 2007-07-02, 00:38   Link #51
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
And besides, it certainly sounds incredibly self-smug to think that Kyoto Animation produced Lucky☆Star for the purpose of laughing at non-Japanese viewers...
I don't think anyone believe that. I think they are making fun of otaku in JAPAN. I think Western fans are the last thing on their minds when making jokes for Lucky Star. A lot of J-culture references are to stump otakus in Japan; I don't think fansubber watchers are even a player at this game.

A lot of humor is lost because most fansub watchers are a consumer of a niche Japanese culture, but are mostly clueless about all other parts. L*S is much funnier to people who knows the over all culture and then has an understanding of the otaku world. These kind of people, like myself, are very rare outside of Japan. It's a joke between KyoAni and their Japanese fans. I mean, I can just imagine a 20 something Japanese otaku asking his older sister about Sakai Noriko. We're not supposed to get the joke.

Quote:
...but why does it mean they're doing it at any one else's expense?
I guess I don't mean it like that. I mean they're making fun of themselves since they ARE mostly otakus. Otakus are very self-depreciative and humble; this is all just good-natured fun KyoAni is poking at otaku world. I can't think of anyone who would be offended. The sharpest jab I think it's KyoAni saying "otakus are clueless about everyday Japanese life. Let's see if they get something everyday ordinary Japanese knows".

For example, one of the episode made reference to Japanese sporting news. You're supposed to laugh if you know that the 2006 Japan Series is between the Nippon Ham Fighters and the Chunichi Dragons (these companies don't own department store or railroads), that the "Hankerchief Prince" is the hero of the 88th Summer Koshien HS baseball turnament, Saito Yuki, and that the best pitcher in Japan, Matsuzaka Daisuke, is now a Boston Red Sox. KyoAni is laughing at the otaku who didn't get the jokes because they could not care less about sports. If ANY otaku is forced check sanspo.com to find out about these basic, everyday trivial for the normal Japanese, then KyoAni won. Their jokes has done the job, and the hikkomori otaku oblivious to everyday life better laugh with KyoAni at themselves.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-02 at 00:56. Reason: replies
Old 2007-07-02, 00:53   Link #52
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Hence my underlying complaint about Lucky Star. It feels like Kyoto Animation making this anime for their own amusement and laugh at the uncomprehending audience especially non Japanese ones. Talk about self smugness.

Another poster in the forum also said the same thing, the jokes in Lucky Star is really niche jokes, and even he, a long time anime fan and Japanese fluent did not get some of the jokes in Lucky Star.
While I agree the show has started to stray into 2channel meme territory for it's style of humour and has slowly moved away from it's roots as an all around Otaku/School Comedy (We're seeing less and less games, broadcast anime, school stuff, and manga, and more and more Haruhi, Kanon, FMP, Lolicon references that seem to be there for little reason other than to please the stalwart core fanbase and leave this leaves me baffled a bit. What about roping in new viewers or securing wafflers? ), I don't think anybody is deliberately trying to make the show an in-group/out-group thing to screw with non-Japanese people, but I agree it is quite self-referential at the moment. I just think it probably comes down to them maybe not having considered some things such as a foreign fans, or even new fans who are first time viewers of their shows.

Maybe then, this isn't the right show for you. Essentially you have to at the bare minimum be aware of the three shows I have mentioned in this current stage of the anime in order to get most of the jokes that are being thrown at you. Maybe see if they start doing references in a greater variety later on or if the shows works itself back into School Life/Popular Otaku Culture territory and then come back (As an aside those have been the jokes I laugh at). There's probably not to much you'll miss if you choose to do so, as the series has an extremely loose continuity. If you're looking for more variety in your references I'd suggest Hayate The Combat Butler, which is currently airing this season and uses many common as well as obscure references in it's punchlines.

Oh one last thing, the Yu-Gi-Oh joke is a breath of fresh air for me. I was feeling suffocated by the Haruhi/Kanon/FMP stuff for a while so it's great to see something from Toei to break up the monotony. Hopefully this is a sign that the Haruhi refs have run their course at least for the time being and that we'll scale back a bit to a less self-referential style of humour for this second half of the series. My hope is for more focus on the characters themselves to fill the gap where the Haruhi refs lay, we still haven't seen much of the new cast, and I'm wondering what they're waiting for. It's definitely time to break them in. I want to see Konata's cousin already!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-07-02 at 01:07.
Old 2007-07-02, 01:42   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd like to point out that Looney Toons and Animaniacs is bursting with inside jokes and cultural references ... there's one episode of Animaniacs actually dedicated to *real* fans called "Please Please Pleese Get A Life" (spelling intended). Its so self-referential its a singularity event.

Lucky*Star is in the same vein... but just like Animaniacs - a viewer can miss ALL those references and still find the show funny, amusing, or relaxing.
Old 2007-07-02, 02:04   Link #54
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Lucky*Star is in the same vein... but just like Animaniacs - a viewer can miss ALL those references and still find the show funny, amusing, or relaxing.
I agree on this. In Mexico we tend to say that it's the comedians the ones that mostly makes us laugh and not so the jokes they use.

In Lucky Star's case, I think it's the character themselves the ones that often made the references funny in the first place.
Old 2007-07-02, 02:29   Link #55
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I'd like to point out that Looney Toons and Animaniacs is bursting with inside jokes and cultural references ... there's one episode of Animaniacs actually dedicated to *real* fans called "Please Please Pleese Get A Life" (spelling intended). Its so self-referential its a singularity event.

I'm just hoping for more variety in the coming episodes. We seem to have hit a bit of a rut where some jokes are being reused more than I would like them to be. Of course Animaniacs was a 99 episode series, and Looney Toons have been around since the dawn of time practically, but we've still got half the series to go, and they can make this happen. I'm sure some people are satifisied right now, but greedy as I am I want to see the show branch out in it's references more in coming episodes.

Next episode will be it, they'll give us the rest of the cast in the second half and that'll be a second wind. I hope....
Old 2007-07-02, 03:20   Link #56
Dularc.D
ba....ba....ba....bah

Great episode!

Spoiler for Highlights:

Spoiler for Shiraishis Confession.:

9/10
Old 2007-07-02, 03:55   Link #57
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show is so obscure and difficult to follow that we are all still here after 13 episodes continuing to enjoy it. I agree with those who say that we don't need to get all the jokes and references to find the show funny/amusing/enjoyable. And that this kind of self-referentiality and abundance of cultural in-jokes is not unusual in Western shows, either.

I'm very happy with the show so far, but I too am eager to see the rest of the characters arrive. Especially "Patty Martin" (Sasaki Nozomi) and Konata's cousin.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-02, 04:23   Link #58
vaizard_ruler
Lucky☆Star Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vaizard_ruler Send a message via MSN to vaizard_ruler Send a message via Yahoo to vaizard_ruler
well at least i know my score was good though at first now when i was readign some of the posts in here i was expecting better or something like ep 12 >.> maybe i shouldve at least given it an 8 since i didnt know Old Skol was in it
Old 2007-07-02, 04:41   Link #59
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:

Couldn't have put it any better, Vexx. Whether you like them or not, these inside jokes are here to stay. Your best bet? Either stop watching or stop complaining (no disrespect intended) and accept that they're part of the show, since it's unlikely Kyo-Ani would ever "learn" and make them go away.

And Kyo-Ani isn't the only studio guilty of putting self-referential humour, just look at Ouran Host Club and Hayate no Gotoku. The list goes on. Of course compared to Lucky Star, their self-reference pales in comparison.

Before Lucky Star, Kyo-Ani has rather showed some restraint in self-referential humour in their previous works, it's just that the premise for Lucky Star, basically a koma strip about an otaku girl and her friends - without the burden of a heavy plot. This of course makes it ideal for the insertion of self-referential jokes anywhere, hence the "orgy" of otaku-related jokes and inside-jokes.

I'll wait till I've seen the episode to make my grading. But this got my heart stopped for a moment.

Tsundere Kagami-sama! (Edit: replaced with longer version)

PS I personally find Shiraishi's Live-Action ED funny.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-07-03 at 10:29.
Old 2007-07-02, 05:14   Link #60
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Questions...
  • Who the heck was the white dog? It even had a cameo in the actual episode.
  • Who voiced the guy that Kagami gave the valentine chocolates to?
  • Who were the other two people in the ED?
  • Am I the only one who immediately noticed the "Fumoffu!" BGM insertion in the scene where Konata sees Kagami running down the corridor (14:10-14:13)? Fumoffu! fans should know which BGM I am referring to (the one used when Chidori goes all tender with Sousuke, prime example being the bench scene during the amusement park episode).
Cheers.