AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 39.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-29, 00:47   Link #21
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Wow, nice observation, had to rewatch the episode to see that. It seems, to me, that Mana does not know a lot about the relationship between Yorito and Aono. She sees as if Aono doesn't like those stuffed dolls. Yorito thinks otherwise.

See, if Yorito saw that Aono didn't like those stuffed dolls, why would he continue buying them in the first place? I think Mana is a bit oblivious to that brother-sister dynamic that Aono and Yorito have. Their relationship is subtle and deep, but not quite obvious.
What bothers me is that many of those dolls reminds me of monsters I saw in AD&D Monster Manual.
Old 2007-04-29, 02:22   Link #22
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
The monsters are kind of cool, at least we are not seeing a grapoopotamus/whatever sort of beings >.> .

As for the episode itself, it brought out a seemingly different side in Aono...I could not help but start liking that bit.
Old 2007-04-29, 13:20   Link #23
Icerack

I don't see why Yorito would just let Mana pick a doll for him if he really has such bad taste. I would expect that he's picking those types of dolls for a certain reason. Maybe we'll find our later.
Old 2007-04-30, 01:47   Link #24
EvolutionXI

Just finished watching this ep. I'm curious as to why Aono crumples and drops that origami. Is it b/c Koyori hadn't visited in a few days? Don't really get why seeing it would make Koyori scared and run off either. Seemed like a nice ep to me though, went by surprisingly fast and didn't feel dragged out.
Old 2007-04-30, 03:33   Link #25
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

My guess is that Aono has been in the hospital for a long time, months at least. Some real life patients often get feelings of abandonment if they don't have regular visits.

Yorito got Aono a doll for his first visit, so it's become a tradition. She probably doesn't like the dolls, but rather each one is a memory.

Aono probably thought that Koyori had abandoned her. The origami was a symbol of thier friendship. I think this is why she tells Yorito "I crossed the line". Koyori sees the crumpled origami and assumes Aono was mad at her for not visiting.

I think the theme of the episode was that memories come from moments, and there are some things that symbolise those pieces of time. The coffee, origami, and dolls all have relevance to the characters, but not to us. We're kinda like Mana, wondering why everyone is making such a fuss if none of them seem to care. As we see though, it's the unspoken bonds between people that show why these things are important.

I'm probably reading into it more than one should though.

Anyway, so we know Aono will be out soon...and? With all this focus on Aono it's obvious she's important somehow. I really liked that she smiled and talked but I'm just wondering how all this focus is going to "pay off" plot wise.

Takeshi comments that they need to find Matsuri soon. Why?

Good episode overall, and next week can't come soon enough.
Old 2007-04-30, 04:20   Link #26
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Mana doing the impression of what Koyori should act as was hilarious. 10/10.

Great character development episode along with beautiful music in the end.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2007-04-30, 04:29   Link #27
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Lol. Well, it might just be me
It's not just you. I mean, I'm all for slow pacing and character exposition, and while I get the meaning behind Koyori and Aono's relationship and all the other stuff surrounding Aono's character, none of it felt very profound or had a huge impact on me. I'm still sort of waiting for this show to do something special. Sometimes it just feels like it's going through the motions and I can't really say that any of the characters or the story to date has really captured me.

I blame atmosphere, actually. It's not absorbing enough. Neither the visuals or the music is very special and it feels like that either the director isn't inspired, or is having trouble passing on that inspiration to the audience. There's not a great deal of flair to any of the cinematography or visuals. And these aren't the types of things that can be discounted in any anime. Story is important, but anime producers need to use all the tools at their disposal to enthrall the audience and connect them with the story, and it just doesn't feel like it's happening with this series.

Yorito continues to be bland. What I'd like to see from him in the future is some talkback when Matsuri gives him some lip. I just can't see any reason to respect him while he continues to let all the girls around him walk all over him.

It's pretty much the mystery that's keeping me interesting. There are still a huge number of questions surrounding why Takeshi and Shinkuseki are so desperate to find Matsuri, and exactly what Aono's sickness is and how it relates to the rest of the story. Obviously, they're trying to keep all their cards close to their chest and aren't revealing anything, but I'm fearful that it's detrimental to the characters, since we still know virtually nothing about them, even now.

Not that this show is all bad... it's still got me fairly intrigued. But, I almost feel as though this could be a much better series in the hands of a different director.
Old 2007-04-30, 06:26   Link #28
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Remember, back before this show first aired, when it was mentioned that "sola" means "alone" in spanish and italian? But it was said that it's just a variation of "sora" and there isn't any reason to think it's meant to be anything else.

Looks a little more likely now that the double meaning was intentional, ne?

Ah, I can't say enough how much I'm loving this story. Even if the animation itself is only average (but think how much better "average" is compared to a few years ago). The acting is what makes it so wonderful. Everyone in the cast is doing a great job. Last week I complained a bit about Koshimizu Ami, but not now. And I don't get the criticism of the bg music. It seems fine to me, and a few times during this episode I thought, "what lovely music."

I'm glad I waited for the sub as well. There's so much I would have missed by not understanding the dialog; and the subtext as well. Where episode 3 was a very plain script (not in a bad way!), with nothing hidden; this episode requires a lot of reading into.

There was one moment when I literally said, "Oh my god." It's when Koyori offers the coffee to Aona.
Spoiler:

The writers know very well what they're doing. I gave this episode a 9, but only because I want to save the 10 for an even better episode I expect will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
I think the theme of the episode was that memories come from moments, and there are some things that symbolise those pieces of time. The coffee, origami, and dolls all have relevance to the characters, but not to us. We're kinda like Mana, wondering why everyone is making such a fuss if none of them seem to care. As we see though, it's the unspoken bonds between people that show why these things are important.

I'm probably reading into it more than one should though.
No, I think that's perfectly true.

A literary critic once said, "Don't tell me your story. Show it to me." And that's what's happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
There are so many reasons to love Honda Youko. She put so much compassion in her character. Nevermind about Matsuri, if anything tragic happens to Mana I'll be upset.
Old 2007-04-30, 07:23   Link #29
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, ep4 provided us with some much-needed screentime for Aono. But still - she needs to talk more! Or rather...interact with some one, either talking or otherwise. Apparently she will be going home soon, and i am actually looking towards that. So, she actually does like those dolls. Or rather - the fact that Yorito is bringing them daily. Speaking of which - Yorito must be filthy rich if he can afford to buy one each day.

So... it looks like Matsuri sleeps during the day And looks like she and Mana are getting along pretty good. I wonder how she will be getting along with Aono (and what Aono is going to say about Matsuri being there in the 1st place). They can get along pretty well imo - being familiar with the feeling of loneliness is what brought Aono and Koyori to friendly terms, and Matsuri should be the one who knows this feeling the best.

... Or she will be less than pleased at her presence... i can imagine the sight of Matsuri and Yorito arguing/teasing each other again, with Aono shooting death glares from a corner

The more i watch it, the more it seems to me that Mana and Koyori are not actual sisters. I wonder if this bears any significance, or is the whole ordeal simply there to provide Mana with a reason to karate-chop Koyori for comic relief

But overall - i wasn't exactly impressed with the ep. It felt too draggy for its own good. Or perhaps i am simply suffering a Matsuri withdrawal. Either way - looks like some sort of sh*t will be hitting the fan next week.
Old 2007-04-30, 08:25   Link #30
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, I liked this ep. It had a calming effect as it gently gave us more info about Aono and Koyuri.

I agree with the dolls = memories theory especially with the way she smiled at the first one.

I don't think that Yorito is a doormat. He isn't going to be giving Aono too much grief either since she's the eldest and also sick. Mana is a substitute Aono, so if he wants to eat well he can't give her too much grief either.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-30, 09:35   Link #31
dojikyo

8. It was a really slow episode. But it developed the characters a bit and the ending hints at things heating up.
Old 2007-04-30, 10:52   Link #32
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-30, 11:55   Link #33
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Or probably something that will...

Spoiler for Matsuri:
Old 2007-04-30, 16:05   Link #34
Telliamed
sensei no pet

I also want to point out that there was quite a lot of cloudservice in this ep.

And did anyone else notice that all the dolls in the shop were in the dark. Okay, I guess there were a few by the window. But for the most part, there was no sunlight in side.
Old 2007-04-30, 16:13   Link #35
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
And did anyone else notice that all the dolls in the shop were in the dark. Okay, I guess there were a few by the window. But for the most part, there was no sunlight in side.
Hm...i think it was mostly to emphasize the creepiness/weirdness of the dolls, not as a foreshadowing/hinting of anything else.

I could be wrong though, and the shop can turn out to be run by another Rozen-Loli
Old 2007-04-30, 18:00   Link #36
Nemesis2124

Anyone notice how in both eps 3 and 4 they keep using the imagery of the night clouds covering the moon to represent the feelings of sadness/lonliness? A very nice, subtle touch. Makes me wonder if perhaps something a bit darker was going on behind the scenes in ep 3 come to think of it...
Old 2007-04-30, 18:42   Link #37
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Or probably something that will...

Spoiler for Matsuri:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis2124 View Post
Anyone notice how in both eps 3 and 4 they keep using the imagery of the night clouds covering the moon to represent the feelings of sadness/lonliness? A very nice, subtle touch. Makes me wonder if perhaps something a bit darker was going on behind the scenes in ep 3 come to think of it...
i never noticed that...or are you just thinking too much? but nice observation :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-30, 19:41   Link #38
Nemesis2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i never noticed that...or are you just thinking too much? but nice observation :3
Maybe, but it really stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It's also fairly common to use symbolism to accentuate a common thread between what was pretty much a standalone episode and what appears to be the main plot.

Also about Matsuri's whole being hated deal...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-30, 19:57   Link #39
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I also want to point out that there was quite a lot of cloudservice in this ep.
Heh. You may have just defined a new trend. Let's hope other anime don't pick it up too readily though
Old 2007-04-30, 20:07   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
That must have been some scene if it was enough to make the episode that good.

By the folks, I haven't seen any episodes since number 1, based on my wait and see approach, but have they done anything interesting with Aono yet. Like had her speak or given her backstory as to why she's so...dry and boring.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-30 at 20:18.
Closed Thread