AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-07-02, 20:32   Link #1261
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
You may be too young to understand episode 1 lol, you need to have good knowledge of sentai shows, love dramas, movie making and be at least near otaku level.

Episode 1 is to date the most hiliarious Haruhi episode.
How do you define what's hilarious?

Something that makes you laugh? Damn right.

And there are things in the world that make you laugh, that don't make others do so.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 23:58   Link #1262
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
How do you define what's hilarious?

Something that makes you laugh? Damn right.

And there are things in the world that make you laugh, that don't make others do so.
First, you've already helped me point out the definition of hilarious.

Next, here's a full list of why Episode 00 is hilarious:
Spoiler:
Yep its long, took me over 1 hour 30 minutes to type that while going through episode 1 for the 20th time or so, I still laughed at some parts.

And I didn't say everyone is going to laugh this much or more, I did specifically state: you need to have good knowledge of sentai shows, love dramas, movie making and be at least near otaku level to understand the jokes.

And with such a long list of stuff to laugh at, Its very safe to say that this episode is intended to be the most hilarious.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-07-03 at 01:11.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 00:28   Link #1263
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Besides... believe it or not most people judge other people on the basis of what they laugh at (among other things). People have opinions about me and I have opinions of them. Episode One I found esoterically funny. Kyo-ani worked very hard to portray a terribly made student film (some incredible animation there) that is stuffed with foreshadowing about the series and is filled with a very dry-witted subtle humor.

@C.A. -- heh, I'd probably contest the "must be otaku" point. Reasonable familiarity with anime cliches seems enough to get started but just some appreciation of irony, satire, and other forms of "intellectual humor".
Old 2006-07-03, 00:48   Link #1264
Dyaji

My goodness...After Episode 00 I could barely breathe because I was laughing so much. I would pick a single favorite moment, but there are so many....The lightning bolt sticking in one place and Kyon filming Itsuki walking are among them.

Only three shows have made me laugh this hard....Samurai Pizza Cats, Negima, and Suzumiya Haruhi.

Up until now, I never thought that I was an otaku....
Dyaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 00:52   Link #1265
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hey I didn't say you must be an otaku, I said *near* otaku lol

Old 2006-07-03, 03:24   Link #1266
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Hey I didn't say you must be an otaku, I said *near* otaku lol
Haha... yeah, I don't know if it's being an "otaku" or what, but it could definitely be seen as geek humour. The more you know (about games, anime, dramas, low-budget TV, making home movies, etc.) the funnier it gets. Plus, the sardonic narration really drives the point home. Throughout the whole thing, it felt like Kyon was apologizing to the audience, but still trying to make the best of the situation - I felt like I was sharing his embarassment at how awful the movie was (and like I said, it helps if you made some really crappy home movies as a kid). Everything about the episode worked for me, from the really crappy singing and voice acting, to the "it's so bad it's good" synth music (love the soundtrack that came with DVD 0); from the laughable, cliched plot, to the awful non-existant story transitions (and the fact that they got mentioned in Kyon's narrative )... not to mention all the gaffs that still made it "on film". One of my favourites was how the same "extra" appeared twice as two different people, and they only indicated the difference by a nameplate overlay. That's so exactly what I remember "school project" movies being like - and that's what made it work for me. And the funniest part, at least to me, is how Haruhi was so proud of her masterpiece at the end - I've so met people like that too.

Anyway, all that to say, another episode 00 fan here. Probably one of the best, most well-executed parody sequences I've seen, certainly in anime. If you liked the episode also, then I'd probably recommend the now-licensed Pani Poni Dash as a must-see once the DVDs come out, although it's much higher on the "random" scale.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 08:25   Link #1267
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
well... if you liked Kanon, the MoSH animators ( KyoAni ) are going to be redoing that series this fall, twice the series, four times the animation, ante the art (see Kanon 2006). Dunno if thats your cup of hoji-cha but its well ranked for that type of story.
(they also did AIR).

yea i heard there was going to be e re-make of kanon too. When did it come out, it just seems a little soon for a re-make already. O well, i just hope they aren't too stretched and pass any other gems ie...another season of suzumiya. well i wouldnt mind another season, i mean who wouldnt, i dont...
Killer Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 08:43   Link #1268
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
14. At this point most people are laughing at Kyon's narrations. Others will continue laughing when Yuki appears with one leg over the window, the following dialogue between her and Itsuki would sound so abstract and nonsensical people can't stop laughing. Yuki delievers a heavy blow when she kneels down behind the window with her hat still visible.
And how many people will realize that, after watching the whole series, Yuki and Itsuki's "abstract and nonsensical" dialogue actually isn't?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 10:47   Link #1269
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Requoting meself to updating the Code, episodes 11 and 12 added......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
The Haruhi Code

An amazing discovery by another forum. A message so influential that Kyo-Ani would resort to hiding it away from the prying eyes of the fanatical Haruhi-ists.

http://animebase.servebbs.net/thread-52700-1-1.html

It's in Chinese, but I'll try to explain.

Spoiler for long explanation:

Credit to the guys who actually discovered the message, and Kyo-Ani for putting so much effort into making it.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 15:42   Link #1270
ApathyEcstasy

"I was so exhausted already, the thoughts of becoming a voyeur cameraman had long evaporated from my head. Of course it would be a different story if it involved Asahina-san, but I'm not that sick as to want to preserve video images of my own sister! I mean, where's the fun in that?"

i found this..translated from volume 2 chapter 3.....possibly hinting that mikuru is infact, his sister?
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 16:31   Link #1271
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Could be a mistake in translation. Peculiar...
Major Kerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 16:33   Link #1272
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kerina
Could be a mistake in translation. Peculiar...
it's from http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...itle=Main_Page

please check it out and inspect it for yourself

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume2_Chapter3

edit: Self-introduction

I (thelastguardian) can be found at Anime-Suki forum.

lol conspiracy?
Old 2006-07-03, 16:36   Link #1273
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Yeah, I was just looking there. Maybe someone can post on the talkback about it for clarification?

edit - here btw http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume2_Chapter3

Last edited by Major Kerina; 2006-07-03 at 17:04.
Major Kerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 20:14   Link #1274
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
And how many people will realize that, after watching the whole series, Yuki and Itsuki's "abstract and nonsensical" dialogue actually isn't?
Well those who rewatched the episode over and over again would realise that

And yes Kyon's amateur camera techiques are worth lots of laughs. It reminds ourselves of how bad our school videos were lol

Old 2006-07-04, 10:27   Link #1275
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
it's from http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...itle=Main_Page

please check it out and inspect it for yourself

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume2_Chapter3

edit: Self-introduction

I (thelastguardian) can be found at Anime-Suki forum.

lol conspiracy?
What are you talking about? What conspiracy?

What Kyon meant was he's not a sister-con like other perverted otakus and insane big brothers out there (think Shinn Asuka). While he wouldn't mind making voyeuristic videos of Mikuru, he's absolutely not interested in making videos of his sister. I have absolutely no idea how you managed to conclude that Mikuru is his sister. Maybe I should translate it clearer.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 11:24   Link #1276
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
I don't remember seeing an explanation about the spot on Kyon's neck at the end of the remote island episodes...
Any clues?
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 12:51   Link #1277
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Pervert ESP boy???? Maybe he is interestered in men's spots :P
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 13:53   Link #1278
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
What are you talking about? What conspiracy?

What Kyon meant was he's not a sister-con like other perverted otakus and insane big brothers out there (think Shinn Asuka). While he wouldn't mind making voyeuristic videos of Mikuru, he's absolutely not interested in making videos of his sister. I have absolutely no idea how you managed to conclude that Mikuru is his sister. Maybe I should translate it clearer.
it's called irony, you obviously haven't had much contact with literature

this anime is based on a novel so you should learn some of those commonly used literary devices and then watch the series again
Old 2006-07-04, 13:59   Link #1279
The Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
it's called irony, you obviously haven't had much contact with literature

this anime is based on a novel so you should learn some of those commonly used literary devices and then watch the series again
For your information, the person you just attempted to flame is on the novel translation team. Or was this an attempt at irony?
The Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 14:01   Link #1280
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sphinx
For your information, the person you just attempted to flame is on the novel translation team. Or was this an attempt at irony?
wait a second? since when did being a linguistic translator have anything to do with literature? just because he can translate doesn't mean he knows the ins and outs of storywriting

i'll even provide a perfect example for you...diplomatic translators that are assigned to presidential meetings...unlike most fansubbers or scanlators...these people are COMPLETELY fluent in the language they're translating from, and the language they're translating to....but that doesn't mean that they know jack shit about good plot design, pacing, good use of literary devices, or anything else a skilled novelwriter would have to know the ins and outs of

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen