AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-08, 16:35   Link #21
Dop
Mmmm....

I was actually surprised this was a full length show as I'd been expecting a short.
I think my main problem with the show is that I find the titular character to be quite annoying.

Will probably give it another episode or two to see if she grows on me.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 23:09   Link #22
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

The first time I read the manga I also found the lead chara to be kind of annoying, and put it down after a few chapters. When the announcement for the series first came up I was uncertain. So after a while I picked up the series again and read on through about 10-12 chapters ... and suddenly found both the lead and a number of the other characters to have a little more to them than I had initially thought.

For me the manga adaptation is faithful content wise, and I think the VA work is fine (I actually kinda like the ED more than the zany OP), the animation works, etc., etc.

But somehow the overall impression of the manga as a whole was a little more like the OP - or so it seems to my memory. This adaptation was a little more subdued somehow, which kinda surprised me but also made me curious - if they cast future episodes in the same overall shades I wonder how the series might come across when all is said and done?

I don't feel it is a cacaphony, or "out of joint". It just feels a little more ... erm. Yes, it feels like the story being narrated a little more by Umaru when she is very happy inside in spending "normal" time (if playing zombie apocalypse video games can qualify as that) with her older brother - as contrasted with the story being told when she is moreso in playful, bratty mode ... if that makes sense?

Anyhoo, will definitely give the next few eps a try. Am curious to see where (if anywhere) the adaptation may take us....
Old 2015-07-09, 00:45   Link #23
HandofFate

Not bad, I remember attempting to read the manga a few times but found it boring...but animated, I'm enjoying it a lot more, maybe the flow just feels better even if the content is the same,
Old 2015-07-09, 02:33   Link #24
Side-streetdog

Since manga was around 8 pages comedy.
I was afraid that it will be 5 - 10 minutes anime.

But they got this good.
Old 2015-07-09, 16:49   Link #25
Draco Spirit

So... mixed feelings on this.

You can tell it routes as a manga short, because this episode felt like several disconnect episodes put next to each other, rather than 1 episode. Now I did laugh more than a bit, but I also feel this show would operate a lot better in a shorter and more sappy form... or with a episode metaplot/theme that would likely upset the purists.

On a narrative note. Himouto seems to be suffering from keeping a perfect image up in public, so in private she has some serous self focused burnout. If she let herself be a little bit more honest in public, she would likely be less of a nightmare in her private life IMHO. Interestingly enough the big constant of her character is a desire to be the best, be it in tests or youtube hits.

I think I'll give it a few more episodes before making my mind up, but I'm undecided on this show for the time being.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 17:06   Link #26
Chosen_Hero

Can't help but laugh at the people taking this anime too seriously, you would think having Umaru turn into a chibi would clue them in.

Amyways the episode was better than I thought, having read a few manga chapters I thought this would be 5 to 15 minutes per episode glad I was wrong.
Old 2015-07-09, 17:20   Link #27
Friday
Im shy too...

they have taken my life.....

and change it to a girl!!!!!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 17:24   Link #28
HandofFate

i enjoyed seeing all the real world products being used (with a 1 letter change)
Old 2015-07-09, 19:14   Link #29
novalysis

Oh wow.... Umaru really is very bitchy. I pity her brother.

The funniest scene was when Umaru brought back her test papers all with a score of 100. I wonder does Umaru actually manage to get these scores with that kind of lifestyle - my suspicion is that she has both Edietec memory, and high intelligence (hence, if anyone ever asks her about her strategy, she'd tell you she just understands the material, and all else follows from that understanding.) If that is the case, I agree with the burnout thesis - Umaru may just well be a prodigy who uses her home to cast aside all of those expectations, and allow her inner child out.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 21:07   Link #30
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well she something else dont know how her brother take all of that
Old 2015-07-10, 03:28   Link #31
FateAnomaly

Because her brother really dotes on her. He doesn't think of her as a nuisance. He is just worried that her bad habits will be a problem for her in the future.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 05:01   Link #32
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

What can I say; I found this amusing in animated form. As always I didn't try to take series like these seriously and it did pay off.

Umaru seems quite attached to her brother, even if she can be a total jerk to him at times, so one wonders if he were to not be around for her as much anymore (not like business trips or anything), how would she react to it?
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 00:39   Link #33
chaos_animagic

The manga actually started out with me wanting to burn the little sister alive for being a super bitch and blaming everything on her brother and making everyone else think she's perfect and her brother is the satan...

But as the manga progresses, she starts to get a better view of her brother and realize how much she rely on him for things and the story starts to get better (especially when certain other characters starts to show up)

PS: the way she eats snacks, it's like she's doing drugs...

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2015-07-11 at 09:48.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 02:58   Link #34
rladls2121

But then by the looking the way this is going, Nana's interaction with Taihei will be so gold.
And my shocking twist is that Nana lives that close to Umaru.
First floor and second floor, really?
Then all that ruckus coming from above neighbor is actually...
Umaru's friend just got home from school and what she hears from above is that Umaru's rolling on the floor noise then her excitement noise is about a race to her computer.
I wonder if Nana heard that noise?

Taihei, his image by Umaru's fellow school students are not well.
Even though Umaru's life style is discovered, it is obvious that Taihei will be framed for it, believing into it is Umaru's older brother's fault.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2015-07-11 at 03:09.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 09:46   Link #35
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The funniest scene was when Umaru brought back her test papers all with a score of 100.
There are three reasons why she shouldn't deserve the 100.

"What is Fred bought yesterday?"
"Why he went to bed early?"
"When they went to Kyoto?"
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 09:58   Link #36
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

That's why she said that she's just lucky

Last edited by ices; 2015-07-11 at 10:02. Reason: added image
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 11:35   Link #37
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Yep as expected from a studio whose specialty is comedy genre "Dogakobo" , the anime already surpasses its original counterpart... Really liked watching this show together with my younger siblings
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2015-07-11, 13:39   Link #38
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

Given we aren't shown the questions it could have been a question about finding the incorrectly used sentences in a passage.
all the questions in that answer but the first have bad grammar and ginven context it could as well. The first one could have been incorrectly used as a question rather then a statement as a trick question.
You missed
Whose is that umbrella? and When they went to Kyoto?
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

Last edited by kagato3; 2015-07-11 at 14:00.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 00:43   Link #39
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

"Whose is that umbrella?" isn't that incorrect grammar-wise. It's just that the idea is often written as "Whose umbrella is that?", which might not be covered by their lessons. That's just an assumption, though. No idea how they handle basic sentence structure lessons in Japan.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 09:25   Link #40
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
anyone else find the ~Umarun~!! onomatopoeia almost similar to ~Akarin~!! of Akari Akaza from the Yuru Yuri fame?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy anime, ps vita