AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-14, 14:34   Link #101
E_I
Yuri fan

According to FansubWiki, Gonzo will be releasing this show online with subs, like Strike Witches and Druaga, right?
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 08:49   Link #102
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
According to FansubWiki, Gonzo will be releasing this show online with subs, like Strike Witches and Druaga, right?
Which means it'll appear on Crunchyroll then. Has a official statement been released about this?
Old 2009-03-17, 04:39   Link #103
M.Marangio

There are some new character and item sketches as well as screenshots at dengeki online.

The airing starts on April 5, 24:00.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 12:09   Link #104
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
There are some new character and item sketches as well as screenshots at dengeki online.

The airing starts on April 5, 24:00.
Awesome! The screens are looking great.

Not only the great character art but those are some sweet backgrounds which is sometimes a good sign of extra dedication, like the building behind the action scene which I liked earlier and some of the shots like the one with the nicely done CG tank and the helicopter have some great trees and some nice extra detail drawn of the ground the tank is driving over and the imagery of the second to last shot with the nicely detailed forest covered buildings and that structure that looks absolutely freakin massive. The sky looks surprisingly good too, that's a really nice blue and non-simplistic clouds, it actually reminds me of some of Gainax's skies when they do them well.

Neat, her metal boomerang does fold-up and she looks cool in those action shots, also good facial expressions there as I remember was expected earlier in the thread.

Ah, we couldn't see before but the Dio-ish girl has the multi-colored eyes thing going. It looks like her friend wears a ton of makeup lol, and the scientist who already looked interesting in the sketch looks quite interesting in color.

The military guy does look like Mullin in that third to last shot, awesome hehe.

Please come through with the most important part, the story, Gonzo, from the art perspective this show looks like it may deliver.

Thanks for the link
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 12:30   Link #105
sa547
*Author

That massive structure in question looks like a climate-control terraforming facility, designed to process the atmosphere and control the weather (examples are found in Aliens and Serenity)
Old 2009-03-17, 12:37   Link #106
DangerMouse

Ah, that would also fit with what we know of the setting.

The Dengeki article also seems to give us our first soundtrack name in addition to the May'n (of Macross Frontier fame) OP and the main music credit will make Last Exile soundtrack fans very pleased.

It lists Hitomi Kuroishi, who did both the main music and ED theme of Last Exile (with her group Dolce Triade). According to ANN some of her other work includes working with Kotaro Nakagawa on the two seasons of Code Geass and Gun x Sword.

Must try to keep my expectations of the show reasonable but more good news.

Going back to the beginning of the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
Now, if Shuntaro Okino ends up doing a theme song for this, I can die happily.
While it may not happen atleast the possibility is still high, these three people seem to work together somewhat often, in addition to Last Exile he also did an ED theme for Gun x Sword which Hitomi Kuroishi is also credited with him for. We still don't know who's doing the ED (or any inserts if there are any) for the show as well.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-17 at 14:02.
Old 2009-03-17, 14:30   Link #107
Same_Shark

Seiyuu are

北条國子-CV:高橋美佳子
美邦(みくに)-CV:有賀由衣
石田香凛(いしだかりん) -CV:井口裕香
草薙国仁(くさなぎくにひと)-CV:石井真
モモコ-CV: ?
鳴瀬涼子(なるせりょうこ)-CV:五十嵐麗
小夜子(さよこ)-石塚理恵
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 18:58   Link #108
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm looking forward to this in hopes of good science fiction, and also in hopes that Takahashi Mikako will get another great role. I have loved her work since Honey & Clover and think she gets less than her due. Iguchi Yuka (Index) is another attraction.

Director Bessho Makoto has an interesting background, having done the AMG movie, and having done storyboards for a wide range of shows, including Petite Princess Yucie, Death Note, and Seirei no Moribito. But writer Ohnogi Hiroshi (Noein) may be the most intriguing part of this project.

I myself will not be shortening the title from Shangri-la, a name that is pretty easy to pronounce and is part of the English language now. It has specific associations from the original 1930s-40s novel and movie Lost Horizon, where it was the name of a hidden paradise in the Himalayas. Calling it "Shang" would be like calling the Philippines "Phil."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-03-17 at 19:15.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 23:52   Link #109
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm looking forward to this in hopes of good science fiction, and also in hopes that Takahashi Mikako will get another great role. I have loved her work since Honey & Clover and think she gets less than her due. Iguchi Yuka (Index) is another attraction.

Director Bessho Makoto has an interesting background, having done the AMG movie, and having done storyboards for a wide range of shows, including Petite Princess Yucie, Death Note, and Seirei no Moribito. But writer Ohnogi Hiroshi (Noein) may be the most intriguing part of this project.
It's a very exciting staff they've brought together. I agree with your thoughts on both of them and Ohnogi's involvement could be huge for the story, since you noted Noein I thought it had a fantastic very scifi concept story. Also, in addition to Murata's involvement, the art director (listed on ANN) Hajime Satou must have something to do with the great backgrounds I'm loving in the screens we've seen because his art design and set design credits include some of my favorites in that area like Big O, Witch Hunter Robin and Karas which all had great detail in their background art (and was one of several artists on Origin which was a letdown as a movie but had gorgeous background art). And now I think the soundtrack is in good hands too.

I just noticed, even the supervisors in the background have nice connections like the creative supervisor who did the design work for Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven, and RahXephon for Bones and the creative producer also apparently works a lot with Bones and was also the main man and director behind Vandread one of my other Gonzo favorites.

I enjoyed hearing Mikako as Rushuna in Grenadier and Amy in Burst Angel, two totally different roles so I look forwards to hearing her in another totally different sounding role here. I've only seen the very beginning of Index and haven't seen much else that Yuka has done despite a large number of shows but Karen looks like an interesting character so I look forwards to it.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-18 at 01:35. Reason: Added some new thoughts
Old 2009-03-18, 01:37   Link #110
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
But writer Ohnogi Hiroshi (Noein) may be the most intriguing part of this project.
He's put out some great work recently with 18-24 of Macross Frontier as well as the second season of Birdy Decode (which is a massive improvement over the first if anyone gave up on it), looking forward to seeing what he does with the rebooted Full Metal Alchemist series as well as Shangri-la.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 01:55   Link #111
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I myself will not be shortening the title from Shangri-la, a name that is pretty easy to pronounce and is part of the English language now. It has specific associations from the original 1930s-40s novel and movie Lost Horizon, where it was the name of a hidden paradise in the Himalayas. Calling it "Shang" would be like calling the Philippines "Phil."
Okay, that'll be final from this point onward.

What good timing this show will have, considering that it's gonna be summertime here. Will enjoy watching with a glass of iced tea.
Old 2009-03-18, 11:16   Link #112
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
He's put out some great work recently with 18-24 of Macross Frontier as well as the second season of Birdy Decode (which is a massive improvement over the first if anyone gave up on it), looking forward to seeing what he does with the rebooted Full Metal Alchemist series as well as Shangri-la.
Nice, I didn't know he contributed to Frontier and I've been enjoying Birdy. Yeah, I hope he does a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Okay, that'll be final from this point onward.

What good timing this show will have, considering that it's gonna be summertime here. Will enjoy watching with a glass of iced tea.
LOL.

So true, it's should be nice Additionaly a bunch of the shows I've been following are about to end.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-18 at 12:13.
Old 2009-03-18, 14:23   Link #113
SneakerPimp

The website is now mirrored in English:
http://www.anime-shangri-la.jp/english/index.html
SneakerPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 17:23   Link #114
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp View Post
The website is now mirrored in English:
http://www.anime-shangri-la.jp/english/index.html
Cool, I should check that out later tonight. I guess it is indeed going to be streamed with english subs like their other recent shows if they're already putting together the english page.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-18 at 17:41.
Old 2009-03-18, 18:13   Link #115
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Wow, the English website is nicely done, and I'm seriously hyped about this now. According to the character descriptions and the story summary, it'll be a classic 'underprivileged rebel group versus bourgeois authority' scenario.
Renge Murata's character designs seem to fit a lot better now than when I first saw them.

Also:
Quote:
Tokyo has turned into the world's largest jungle-polis that absorbs carbon dioxide.

Best of all:
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 18:15   Link #116
E_I
Yuri fan

This show has some...interesting characters.
Spoiler for Mild spoilers from character summaries:
Old 2009-03-18, 20:49   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Renge Murata's character designs seem to fit a lot better now than when I first saw them.
They did the job for me straight away, though i do love seeing the pencil sketches on the English site.
Old 2009-03-18, 23:47   Link #118
sa547
*Author

Let's see, now that I'm pleased that they're going bilingual.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-19, 09:58   Link #119
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Let's see, now that I'm pleased that they're going bilingual.

Spoiler:

Maybe something that happens to her later on in the series compels them to be upfront with her age now.
Old 2009-03-19, 11:46   Link #120
E_I
Yuri fan

It'll be on Crunchyroll

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...rda-doro-anime

Tags
gonzo, science fiction