AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-09, 15:42   Link #21
Miraluka
Banned

Well, it was a good start I think, I'm like others wondering about the game rules.

In the other hand I was like the bartender at the couple discussing. No fuck were given, I didn't care that much.

PS:
Am I the only one who got Hell Girl vibes given the formula this episode/series is taking?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 16:08   Link #22
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
PS:
Am I the only one who got Hell Girl vibes given the formula this episode/series is taking?
Until I watched the next episode preview, I was indeed watching it wondering if it would address the many questions and problems that I had during Hell Girl. But then the preview seems to suggest the show won't just be VICTIMS OF THE WEEK.

As for the show... the more I think about it, the more plot holes/inconsistency/stupidity I seem to find so I don't know what to think about it yet - I'll check the second episode to see how it goes (since it doesn't seem to have just more new dead people). Also I really need to know if it's in the same continuity as Billiards or a completely new thing with different rules. In Billiards the bartender went HOHOHO ITS A SECRET WHERE THEY WENT, but in Parade they state it just like that at the end...

Spoiler for idiocy:

The OP was cool for the first half but then during the refrain I just kept thinking MAROON5. lol. Decent OST but way too much 3dCG in the animation.

Last edited by Horse; 2015-01-09 at 16:20.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 16:42   Link #23
Miraluka
Banned

Of course, we also had aides(the spirits who helped Ai) of the month
Old 2015-01-09, 17:14   Link #24
hamazura
whatever

danganronpa without plot, just despair
Old 2015-01-09, 17:15   Link #25
HandofFate

I don't know.
Sounds like I'm just gonna be depressed and angry after watching each episode.

It also reeks of much pretentiousness.

And even though the woman won, she's the one that got went to hell..why.
Was it even if by chance, the one that hurts the other less is the 'better' one?

Oh well, looks like that's all we're gonna get with their story.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2015-01-09 at 17:29.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 17:23   Link #26
azarhal

I personally liked it. Still wondering why exactly the girl got to the void, I guess she was a selfish prick for real, while the dude wasn't (while the episode was kind of showing the opposite).
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 17:28   Link #27
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I personally liked it. Still wondering why exactly the girl got to the void, I guess she was a selfish prick for real, while the dude wasn't (while the episode was kind of showing the opposite).
void could be heaven. you are free from all of your burden in living world. we dont know what is 'heaven' after all, no one went there and comeback to tell us with prove...
Old 2015-01-09, 17:35   Link #28
Wandering Soul

That was a good first episode. I am curious about the rules though and why people got sent to where they were sent.
Old 2015-01-09, 17:40   Link #29
Seihai
スマイリウム

I associate reincarnation with something positive and void with something negative so I think the former is heaven (more like nirvana if you go by buddhism but whatever) and the latter hell because, y'know, emptiness. Would be surprised if it's the other way around but we'll see.

There's also this way to interpret the ending scene. Machiko may have truly loved him and did not actually cheat on him, however the Takashi she loved and knew is no more. Not only literally because they're both dead, but she has never seen this side of him before. So to go along for one reason or another, she turns the situation he feared into a reality by falsely admitting she did cheat on him. And at the time she admitted, the bartender may have done the final judgement to decide who goes where. At face value, Machiko is the one to blame for cheating on him, so she will go to the void for that. If this is the case, then things have more or less played into her hands because she "saved" Takashi by doing what she did.
Old 2015-01-09, 17:52   Link #30
azarhal

I personally just used the mask at the top of the elevator for the positive and negative association.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 17:53   Link #31
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
I associate reincarnation with something positive and void with something negative so I think the former is heaven (more like nirvana if you go by buddhism but whatever) and the latter hell because, y'know, emptiness. Would be surprised if it's the other way around but we'll see.

There's also this way to interpret the ending scene. Machiko may have truly loved him and did not actually cheat on him, however the Takashi she loved and knew is no more. Not only literally because they're both dead, but she has never seen this side of him before. So to go along for one reason or another, she turns the situation he feared into a reality by falsely admitting she did cheat on him. And at the time she admitted, the bartender may have done the final judgement to decide who goes where. At face value, Machiko is the one to blame for cheating on him, so she will go to the void for that. If this is the case, then things have more or less played into her hands because she "saved" Takashi by doing what she did.
The thing with that is that given the premise, I think the bartender can tell when someone's lying.

Either way, I agree that for this show, "Void" is the bad one with the elevator for that side being an oni.
Old 2015-01-09, 17:55   Link #32
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
The thing with that is that given the premise, I think the bartender can tell when someone's lying.

Either way, I agree that for this show, "Void" is the bad one with the elevator for that side being an oni.
then the reincarnation means "another chance" or "try again"
Old 2015-01-09, 18:00   Link #33
com_gwp

It's quite telling of the quality we've got for this season so far when this OVA rehash is the best premiere we've had, and from the look of things it's likely to hold that spot. But I'm not discounting Death Parade in any manner; however you slice it, this was an excellent opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
PS:
I did too, but that was already the case with the Young Animators OVA, which this episode was mostly a rehash of. The preview does seem to point to an overarching story in comparision to Hell Girl's episodic take on the formula.

Lest I forget, early choice for best OP of the season. BOOM BOOM BOOM!
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 18:07   Link #34
bakaouji

I'd say the woman lied to set him free and I think the memory of her having an affair with another man could've been something that the husband just imagined.

Anyway, the plot or the setting is devised in a way that the story practically writes itself. Shove two related people into a high stakes situation by making them play against each other then stand back and watch it all unfurl. I'm not sure if all episodes are gonna be as angsty and dramatic as the the premiere, but boy, did I not care for the couple at all. I get what's their stake in this but what about mine?

If the payoff of the show lies in finding out what happens to the fate of the two people who're fighting for a chance at reincarnation then the show better make me care about the people who're going at it. Turning the drama and waterworks up to eleven doesn't equate with that. The only other 'fun' factor in this show that I can suss out is if I can figure out the players' backstory before they do. But again, I'd need to care about them in the first place to indulge myself in that.

I actually found Death Billiards to be fun and interesting and it also had a fantastical feel to it thanks to the amazing animation. The premiere didn't have an iota of that going for it. Gonna watch an episode or two and see if the subsequent episodes explore the human condition with a little more finesse.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 18:35   Link #35
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
It's quite telling of the quality we've got for this season so far when this OVA rehash is the best premiere we've had, and from the look of things it's likely to hold that spot. But I'm not discounting Death Parade in any manner; however you slice it, this was an excellent opener.

I did too, but that was already the case with the Young Animators OVA, which this episode was mostly a rehash of. The preview does seem to point to an overarching story in comparision to Hell Girl's episodic take on the formula.

Lest I forget, early choice for best OP of the season. BOOM BOOM BOOM!
Obvious, they have less episodes to show .
Old 2015-01-09, 18:59   Link #36
Revan21

In my interpretation,

When they arrived, Takashi stepped out from the elevator marked with the devil face, meaning he was on his way to hell/void, while Machiko to heaven/reincarnation with the white mask elevator.

Then we get to hear about this Matchy, who cheats on her husband. She's an actual person because her name was on the table card during the ending. So Machiko did not lie, the gossip was not about her.

But because of this, Takashi grew cold toward Machiko after the wedding, which led to her having a one night stand with an unknown man (there's a flashback on this when she admits it). It did not mean anything, and she still only loved her husband. But seeing how devastated Takashi has become because of the whole thing, Machiko decide to make a bigger lie out of it (that's why Decim looked at her with wide open eyes), saying see never cared about him and the child is not his, thus lifting the weight of their deaths off his shoulder.

At the end, Machiko won the darts game and as a reward decided to take Takashi's place in the elevator to Hell, out of selfless love and regret because of that meaningless affair.
Old 2015-01-09, 19:08   Link #37
Joseito1875

I don't really think she cheated on him....
It looked as if she was faking the whole confession.

Another thing I noticed is that at the beginning of the episode the oni mask was on the left, but when then the position switched to the right side when the woman got on it.

It would be really depressing if she was lying when she admitted to the cheating and still got punished.
Joseito1875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 19:10   Link #38
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseito1875 View Post
I don't really think she cheated on him....
It looked as if she was faking the whole confession.

It would be really depressing if she was lying when she admitted to the cheating and still got punished.
If so, that was the only flashback that was fictional, while everything else did happen. That's unlikely.

Not if it was her own decision to go to Hell.
Old 2015-01-09, 19:14   Link #39
AntonKutovoi

Actually, I think they changed the setting from Christianity (heavens and hell) to Buddhism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śūnyatā
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 19:27   Link #40
Revan21

Both are mentioned.
When the wife realises the situation, Decim says they are going to tengoku(=heaven) or jigoku(=hell), then at the end it's reincarnation and the void.

Tags
depressing anime, psychological