AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-16, 23:51   Link #621
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
Mushishi must not be watched in a rush.
I agree with you, though at the same time i watched from episode 14 to the end just now.. i couldn't help myself. :3

& damn you Snoop, i wanna kill you, and take the story board for the first chapter!
Old 2007-02-17, 00:57   Link #622
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Wow, I should come here more often... Still Mushishi discussions going on...

Anyway, I received a week ago the storyboard of Mushishi ep.1. This is a present from ArtLand for the hardcore fans who have purchased the 5 limited edition boxsets of Mushishi, and I've been craving for my grandmother to send it (they don't send it abroad so I had to make it ship to her address, it arrived in December but she had slight health problems at that time).
This is priceless for people who are interested in animation and like to draw. Dude, professionals are impressing. I have still a lot to study and practice to even remotely approach this level...
The storyboard is surprisingly carefully made ; the Gankustuou one I saw on the first bonus R2 DVD was very rough.

Renzu is so f*cking CUTE !!!
It's not that I don't fully support Ginko x Tanyuu like Cal-Reflector, but nothing can beat grandma Renzu. (then come of course Tanyuu, Suzu (ep.15 : Ginko in love), Setsu (ep.14 : the bamboo girl) and Sayo (ep.16 : the forgetful mother))

On a side note, I found the official book of Mushishi at the Parisian Book Off (a big Japanese chain library for second hand books) ; lots of reference to the manga and a few original stories by the script writers of the anime. Good stuff. They also had the manga ; I hesitated but finally didn't purchase any of them. I saw that there was another Minai & Karibusa story, but I thought to myself : "let's patiently wait for Mushishi second season"...
Now I just have to finish my DVDs, because I'm still at ep.15... Mushishi must not be watched in a rush.
How is that I've built myself a reputation for being such a GinkoxTanyuu shipper... oh, right, the colorbar. But its a nice reputation to have, and I'm proud of it and glad to spread the love. You also forget the Sanmisen (guitar-looking instrument) playing blind girl, whose name I can't remember; she went and brazenly "got a room" with Ginko. Oh wait, you're only at episode 15, forget what I just said then...

Renzu, the most Moe grandmother in anime history. I'd hit it if I were Shinra, inappropriateness be damned.

Heaven's, every Mushishi fan whose seen your post is drooling after that piece of work, myself included.

Bookoff in Paris? Niiiice... ah Bookoff, dozens of hours (maybe even a hundred) well spent while I was in Osaka and Kyoto for Summer last year. I too hesitated on buying the Mushishi manga series (when they were available, which wasn't often, which I supposed meant people didn't want to part with their copies), but ended up buying them when I went to Taiwan for Winter; new copies at less than Bookoff prices. How does Bookoff operate in France anyways? Do they deal primarily in French versions of manga? Is there enough circulation and variety to sustain that same business model which does so well (logically so) in Japan?

You are a true Mushishi fan.
Old 2007-02-17, 07:42   Link #623
Lost

*droool....*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
I have heard of rumors of Orgasmic reviews of the Mushishi english edition being sold in the United States, has anyone here gotten their grubby paws on a copy yet? I have the series in mandarin chinese, but if the English edition is as good as rumors say (extensive background notes, translation of author's book-end notes, etc), I may end up buying Mushishi in three languages, plus Japanese.
My copy of Del Rey's is in my friend's hands now (she bought it for me gar <3, and it was the last copy in the shop too!). I'll put something up as soon as I get it in my grubby paws.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 08:55   Link #624
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I picked up a copy of Del Ray's volume 01 a few weeks back - and everything thats been said, is the truth.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-02-17 at 09:34.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 11:38   Link #625
Lost

Hmm, could you post links here to what has been said about it? (reviews, what not). Thank you.
Old 2007-02-17, 13:40   Link #626
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Hmm, could you post links here to what has been said about it? (reviews, what not). Thank you.
AnimeonDVD gave a good review for the first volume.

Linky~
Old 2007-02-17, 17:15   Link #627
Snoop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Looks good, but they could have chosen a more elaborate font for the title...

@Cal_Reflector : don't worry, I watched Mushishi ep.1~20 with C1 fansub and 21~26 in raws, so I perfectly know who Amane is. It's just that I haven't watched the episode since June or something... BTW, I realize that I totally forgot about Yahagi, the female mushishi of ep.24 !

The Book Off in Paris opened about 2 years ago ; they sell (and buy) Japanese mangas (2~6€), books (1~10€), magazines, DVDs in Japanese language. Last year, they opened a French manga corner for the local otakus. It's in the Japanese area/district of Paris (near the Op้ra Garnier), and whenever I am passing buy, I enter and I usually buy something. Mostly novels of a writer named Shimizu Yoshinori (清水義範).
I suppose that they periodically receive massive shipments of mangas from the Japanese stores, as I've seen employers unloading big boxes packed with mangas and books. I have sold a few mangas once (about 5 Pokemon mangas), but I only got 2~3€...
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 23:55   Link #628
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Looks good, but they could have chosen a more elaborate font for the title...

@Cal_Reflector : don't worry, I watched Mushishi ep.1~20 with C1 fansub and 21~26 in raws, so I perfectly know who Amane is. It's just that I haven't watched the episode since June or something... BTW, I realize that I totally forgot about Yahagi, the female mushishi of ep.24 !

The Book Off in Paris opened about 2 years ago ; they sell (and buy) Japanese mangas (2~6€), books (1~10€), magazines, DVDs in Japanese language. Last year, they opened a French manga corner for the local otakus. It's in the Japanese area/district of Paris (near the Op้ra Garnier), and whenever I am passing buy, I enter and I usually buy something. Mostly novels of a writer named Shimizu Yoshinori (清水義範).
I suppose that they periodically receive massive shipments of mangas from the Japanese stores, as I've seen employers unloading big boxes packed with mangas and books. I have sold a few mangas once (about 5 Pokemon mangas), but I only got 2~3€...
Lord, if they had a Bookoff in San Francisco I would... lets just say I think it'd increase the enrollment at UC Berkeley's Japanese department significantly.

Yahagi? Meh... did you read my genre parody of Mushishi from a few pages ago, in which I turned Mushishi into a harem show? She would be the hard-ass model-student look-down-on-Ginko's-slovenly-ways matron.

Amane is ok, however, more than okay.
Old 2007-02-18, 11:03   Link #629
Snoop'

Yes, I read it, and Mushishi is indeed a harem anime...
BTW is anyone aware of some Mushishi doujinshi (not necessarily hentai... in fact I prefer brainles comical doujinshi) ?
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 15:42   Link #630
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Do you have anymore planned Cal? :3

As for the Ginko girls, my order has to be:

Tanyuu > Nui > Amane
Old 2007-02-18, 20:43   Link #631
Lost

Tanyuu for me, always.
Old 2007-02-19, 02:30   Link #632
Slighted

Sorry if this has been asked before:

Is there any explanation as to why Ginko is the only one that wears modern clothes?
Slighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 04:34   Link #633
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes, quite a bit, but I'm not sure on what page of this thread. I think it was one of the early pages. I'll summarize it though.

When the mangaka started to create the story no particular time period was envisioned. Then after just a few chapters emerged the vision of this world as taking place in a particular time. At this point the writer started to pay more attention to historical detail, but kept Ginko's style as a metaphor for how he does not fit into the world he travels through.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 11:49   Link #634
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Do you have anymore planned Cal? :3

As for the Ginko girls, my order has to be:

Tanyuu > Nui > Amane
Not at the moment, can't think of enough viable harem anime cliches to throw Ginko and his girls into. Locked into an equipment room, stuck in a snowed in cabin with only one set of bedding, hot springs, Valentines Day... if you have any quacky scenarios, let me know, and maybe I'll post some more products of my madness here when I'm done.

While keeping it strictly relevant to the original series, of course.
Old 2007-02-19, 13:14   Link #635
Slighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Yes, quite a bit, but I'm not sure on what page of this thread. I think it was one of the early pages. I'll summarize it though.

When the mangaka started to create the story no particular time period was envisioned. Then after just a few chapters emerged the vision of this world as taking place in a particular time. At this point the writer started to pay more attention to historical detail, but kept Ginko's style as a metaphor for how he does not fit into the world he travels through.
Ah, I see. Thanks. I knew it would sound something like that
Slighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 23:43   Link #636
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, for the sake of "making it more realistic to me" I imagine that Mushishi takes place sometime during the modernization of Japan... in some faraway rural area... or something like that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter really, but the question did pop into my head at some point and I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to that. However I also think it's more important to take note of the author's intention(s) overall.

By the way... I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but is the manga still ongoing in Japan up to this day? Any recurring characters besides Ginko's collector buddy? Like Tanyuu? (Okay, that's just me wishfully thinking...)
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 00:19   Link #637
wao
OK.

Ahahahahaha! *laughs evilly*

Yes, the manga is still ongoing. The 8th (is it hte 8th?) tankoubon is due soon, meanwhile I still curse in the doldrums for not being able to keep up with the latest in Afternoon.

And bingo, Tanyuu does actually recur! I should expect another character to do so too, later... We've already had one recurring character, Adashino-sensei.
Old 2007-02-20, 02:34   Link #638
lommm
l'homme de lommm

*crosses finger, makes wish on the first star of the night*

i still pray for mushishi season 2. the omake school version. Ginko-sensei. or perhaps Mushishi bishi.

anyhoo. i really do want them to continue straight from the manga. i'm sure they could do at least 12 more eps.
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 18:53   Link #639
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Hmm, do you guys thing Funi shall go with using the volume cover art used for the R2 release? They are known for this with some of there past releases - and judging from just how sexy they look, it would be a waste not to use them.
Old 2007-03-07, 11:22   Link #640
Cal-Reflector

Praise be to the Lord... my dream fic has come true!!

It's the next cover of the Afternoon Magazine, April issue, with Ginko leading a horse with Tanyuu riding on it. Now I know covers usually have little relation to the content, but somehow, my brainwaves must have reached from the West Coast of California across to Ocean to Urushibara...

Praise be to the Lord. *Does little happy jig*

If anyone finds a bigger image, please post it!

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural