AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-17, 19:39   Link #221
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
It was already decided a while ago that the singing will be in its original Japanese.
Seriously? I was worried that they might 'pull a Lacus' (from Gundam SEED--no idea about Destiny). >_>; No offense to those who DO like it... but seriously. Wow. Just wow.
Old 2007-04-17, 20:52   Link #222
Tsukuyomi
Crazed Obsessive Otaku

those are rare occasions, but they can't just replace ENOZ! lol
you can always just switch audio right?
Old 2007-04-21, 17:01   Link #223
X207
Gamyūsa

i finally bothered to check out asos brigade for the dubbed trailer. the only voice so far there that spund right is mikuru, the rest sound weird
Old 2007-04-21, 17:15   Link #224
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I can't believe they are so close to releasing this. I cant wait.

the limited edition box looks so cool. and it comes with the CD just like I have been anticipating from bandai.
Old 2007-05-01, 15:22   Link #225
DumbBrunette
She With Big Mouth

Hi, all! A newbie here with her humble opinion.

I went to the first volume premiere at Anime Boston, and honestly, I greatly enjoyed the dub. Crispin Freeman is absolutely perfect as Kyon, and everyone else seemed very well chosen. Even Wendee Lee, whom I had originally wanted but began to doubt after the trailer, performed well on the whole. There were a few iffy line readings, and I doubt many can say she is even on par with Hirano, but she's decent at the least.

A couple of things to note: the voice for the cat, as originally shown in the clips on Anime TV, has changed. The current choice is much closer to the original.

Also, there is no mention of sliders, to the point where I wonder if they're trying to avoid issues with the old Fox series of the same name.
Old 2007-05-02, 00:22   Link #226
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbBrunette View Post
Also, there is no mention of sliders, to the point where I wonder if they're trying to avoid issues with the old Fox series of the same name.
They do realise that could cause problems if a potential sequel(s) were to mention sliders, right?
Spoiler for Novels:
Old 2007-05-02, 01:30   Link #227
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbBrunette View Post
I wouldn't think it would be an issue... The Slider TV show is a dead franchise, last I heard it was ran to the ground anyway. Worse comes to worse, they can use dimensional travellers. But still, I doubt it would get that bad.
Old 2007-05-02, 03:35   Link #228
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Did that franchise even coin the term 'Sliders' to describe those who engage in dimensional/parallel-world travel?
I remember (vaguely, I was young) when the pilot aired, and I remember that I even guessed what it was about from the title, so I tend to conclude that I'd heard that somewhere else before.
Old 2007-05-08, 15:18   Link #229
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The concept is much older than the series...... but I've not seen the *term* used prior to the series. However.. its entered the vernacular as a common term (see Wiki) so I doubt there's a real problem outside of lots of people just having no idea what it means anymore.

(pulls his MythAdventure D-hopper and scoots back to the Bazaar)
Old 2007-05-09, 22:44   Link #230
Tsukuyomi
Crazed Obsessive Otaku

I take back what I said about Itsuki's english dub, after playing a few hours into .hack//gu vol 2... which is to me-a slightly significant difference from his tone in volume 1... i can see that he can totally dub Koizumi, thus I agree that the english dub is made of the best it can get maan! only 3 or so weeks away! I'm getting excited!
Old 2007-05-12, 11:52   Link #231
Asrialys

So close! Yet so far away!

One of the voices I can't wait to hear is Bridget Hoffman's portayal of Asakura. From the roles I do remember her playing, she did really well. She has the sweet voice that fits Asakura. Can't think of anyone else who would fit.
Old 2007-05-13, 07:42   Link #232
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

The dub was pretty bad. And especially Haruhi's voice was awful.
Old 2007-05-13, 08:00   Link #233
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
That doesn't give anything to work with.
Old 2007-05-13, 10:27   Link #234
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
That doesn't give anything to work with.
Exactly. It's a brilliant strategy, really: state an opinion, then omit any explanation, thereby foiling any attempt at refuting your reasoning
Old 2007-05-13, 14:15   Link #235
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

If I'm not mistaken, the voices were decided based (mainly) on the voting that took place in the ASOS Brigade site. I'm pretty sure that Haruhi's voice is the one that won the voting there. And it was pretty bad. Generic, crappy, unfitting, unenthusiastic. I remember liking one of the other voices. But the otaku community (or else The Bad Taste Community ©) voted for this one. It's not my problem.

Quote:
Exactly. It's a brilliant strategy, really: state an opinion, then omit any explanation, thereby foiling any attempt at refuting your reasoning
You should be really proud of yourself, revealing my complex strategy.

I didn't know I had to make a report explaining what I said. Oh, sorry, I forgot that internet is such a serious business.

PS. Let the bad rep come.
Old 2007-05-13, 14:42   Link #236
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the voices were decided based (mainly) on the voting that took place in the ASOS Brigade site. I'm pretty sure that Haruhi's voice is the one that won the voting there. And it was pretty bad. Generic, crappy, unfitting, unenthusiastic. I remember liking one of the other voices. But the otaku community (or else The Bad Taste Community ©) voted for this one. It's not my problem.

Actually the one that was leading was Kari Wahlgren. Wendee Lee was second.
Old 2007-05-13, 20:49   Link #237
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
You should be really proud of yourself, revealing my complex strategy.

I didn't know I had to make a report explaining what I said. Oh, sorry, I forgot that internet is such a serious business.

PS. Let the bad rep come.
Oh, no, you don't HAVE to, you know. Doing that is merely the difference between your being viewed as a serious commentator, or being viewed as an incorrigible troll who thinks with the organ below rather than the organ above.
Old 2007-05-16, 05:37   Link #238
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
If my interpretation of the forum rules are correct, technically you do.

It's under 2.1, I believe. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 2007-05-17, 10:11   Link #239
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

I've seen maybe a couple of episodes of "Lucky Star."

Wait? What does that have to do with dubbing and SnHY?

Well, one of the characters (blue-haired gamer girl and otaku), made the observation that the radio dramas will be adapted into anime but will have different VA's. She complains that the new voice actors, of course, totally ruin the feel you get from the original radio drama. Of course, being the nerd collector that she is, she has to collect the new interpretation of the same series.

Dunno, I felt this was pretty applicable to Haruhi's dubbing and it's pretty funny in retrospect.

Who knows? Maybe the English cast will find nuances of their own, though I'm still not hoping for much.
Old 2007-05-17, 11:42   Link #240
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

It's just that if I made that comment in a real-life conversation, it would sound natural, but in all the pretentiousness that conquers the net. I was commenting on some voices, not expressing my opinion about a "serious and difficult" matter or whatever. And I'm pretty sure that if I said "OMGWTF THE VOICES ROCK" without explaining why I like the dub, nobody would criticize me. And don't tell me that it's different, because it just isn't.
Closed Thread