Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-26, 03:41   Link #1561
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Damn, now if ONLY there was an official English release
I dunno, I'd probably prefer more translators joining BakaTsuki than a official translation. Imagine SAO on BT being taken down and the official English versions never get up to date with the Japanese version until the series ends >.> Didn't that happen with Shakugan no Shana or Haruhi LNs?
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 04:11   Link #1562
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I dunno, I'd probably prefer more translators joining BakaTsuki than a official translation. Imagine SAO on BT being taken down and the official English versions never get up to date with the Japanese version until the series ends >.> Didn't that happen with Shakugan no Shana or Haruhi LNs?
Well, we can go that route too heh. Although printing costs would be through the roof.

Still thank goodness for Tablets. :x

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 06:09   Link #1563
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Kirito was trapped in Fluctlight for 8 years. He understands that time in real life has only passed 18 hours but honestly... it didn't feel like he miss Asuna and the others much. It wasn't quite mentioned in Volume 10. What WAS mentioned however, was that he was starting to get very used to the new world with his new friends and is no longer sure whether he wants to go back... while actually promising halfheartedly that he would not leave even after they've accomplished their objective...
Well, hope that it will not turn out like Tron Legacy where Clu went berserk because his creator abandoned him.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 06:53   Link #1564
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Agreed and from what I heard from someone on another tread said some Official English version LN's dont turn out so well. According to him Spice and Wolf was one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Well, hope that it will not turn out like Tron Legacy where Clu went berserk because his creator abandoned him.
I dont think it will go down that route. At least I hope not.
Old 2012-07-26, 07:20   Link #1565
TJP1600
小桃姑娘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Damn, now if ONLY there was an official English release
Also, BT=No cost! Although I really like the LN books, they just have that collectible feel to them.
Old 2012-07-26, 16:44   Link #1566
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP1600 View Post
Also, BT=No cost! Although I really like the LN books, they just have that collectible feel to them.
Part of me (as a business-y guy and finance major) feels like if we could get a cheap creative-commons style license you could publish the BT translations and put it into a pool to purchase materials and stuff (like RAWs and pay for servers).

I know it's a pipe dream though! That being said, getting back onto topic of the story itself -- I am so excited to learn about Kirito's YEARS in UW .. seriously, he has to have mentally changed so much and become so much more mature (he was mature already) .. wonder if it'll affect his personal relationships much?
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 22:44   Link #1567
Atrum023
Eternal Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Part of me (as a business-y guy and finance major) feels like if we could get a cheap creative-commons style license you could publish the BT translations and put it into a pool to purchase materials and stuff (like RAWs and pay for servers).

I know it's a pipe dream though! That being said, getting back onto topic of the story itself -- I am so excited to learn about Kirito's YEARS in UW .. seriously, he has to have mentally changed so much and become so much more mature (he was mature already) .. wonder if it'll affect his personal relationships much?
As far as I've read in Volume 9, wouldn't most, if not all of the mental development during his time in UW be null and void the moment he goes back to reality? Unless, of course, I'm missing something...
Old 2012-07-26, 23:28   Link #1568
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrum023 View Post
As far as I've read in Volume 9, wouldn't most, if not all of the mental development during his time in UW be null and void the moment he goes back to reality? Unless, of course, I'm missing something...
Only if they erase his memory upon exiting.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 00:13   Link #1569
tyme

Ok I just read volumes 1-4 after seeing the anime three days ago and although it became addicting at first, I felt disappointed by the end of volume 4.

Spoiler for :

I think I'll take a break before I decide to continue reading the next volumes. It's feeling too Dragonball,Z,GT-like for me.

Last edited by tyme; 2012-07-27 at 00:29.
tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 00:28   Link #1570
kyp275
Meh

SAO was originally written as a short, self-contained story intended for a light novel competition with a page limit of 120 , it was not written as an epic scale adventure story like you're suggesting. This is why the author has constantly added side stories to the Aincrad arc to fill out the story (with mixed-result IMO. But then that's why he's starting the SAO: Progressive novel series, which would be a rewrite of the entire Aincrad arc).

Fairy Dance is really the conclusion to the Kirito and Asuna's story that began in Aincrad. Also, the SAO series's story has never really been about any specific virtual world, but rather about exploring the characters and their interaction with various different virtual worlds. That being said, the world of SAO is one of the strongest/most interesting one, rivaled IMO only by Underworld.

Also, obligatory FACE-SMASH for comparing SAO to DBZ
Old 2012-07-27, 00:50   Link #1571
Clarste
Human

I agree that Aincrad is the best setting, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let it end quickly rather than dragging it on forever. With a hundred floors and probably another year after the 74th floor it does seem like it'd go on forever with no conclusion in sight. Probably not the best pacing.

For what it's worth, I think Phantom Bullet is a better stand-alone story than Fairy Dance. And it's not completely disconnected from Aincrad either.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 07:26   Link #1572
novalysis

Phantom Bullet is a very different story from SAO. If Fairy Dance is the Aincrad's Arc Epilogue and Denouement, then Phantom Bullet is a sequel with a different genre focus.

IMO though, Mother's Rosario, Volume 7 is the best SAO story.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 07:42   Link #1573
Clarste
Human

Mother's Rosario is really stand-alone though. If Phantom Bullet is the sequel, then Mother's Rosario is the completely unrelated story with a similar theme that got turned into a sequel by the marketing department for name recognition. Actually, given Alicization (or at least volume 9), I have to wonder if the author was getting a bit bored of his old characters and settings and wanted to start something fresh.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 08:10   Link #1574
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Mother's Rosario is really stand-alone though. If Phantom Bullet is the sequel, then Mother's Rosario is the completely unrelated story with a similar theme that got turned into a sequel by the marketing department for name recognition. Actually, given Alicization (or at least volume 9), I have to wonder if the author was getting a bit bored of his old characters and settings and wanted to start something fresh.
Eh? MR may have been shorter than the other arcs, but it's still very much an integral part of SAO. The SAO series has always been episodic in nature with a story that is tied together by a common theme - exploring the dynamics between its characters and virtual realities.

MR explored VR technology and its potential medical applications (which leads into Alicization very well I might add), not to mention it contained by far the largest chunk of character development for Asuna, as she is the main character this time around. I just can't see MR as something cooked up by the marketing department, especially when you consider the whole thing was already written before SAO was ever picked up to be published
Old 2012-07-27, 10:34   Link #1575
Shadow1999

Send a message via MSN to Shadow1999
Hey, guys
im right in the middle of reading the 9th Volume and i'm a little bit confused about some elements. Dont mind spoiling some of the story which i am about to read since im too curious ^^

Spoiler for questions:

Thanks and greetings

Last edited by Shadow1999; 2012-07-27 at 10:50.
Shadow1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:21   Link #1576
novalysis

Quote:
Mother's Rosario is still part of SAO. Same characters, evolving circumstances, different developments and premise. But still SAO, even if it's the shortest SAO Arc. It's still connected to Aincrad, in many ways, it's the closest to capturing the spirit of Aincrad, since mortality is still a theme in there, a very strong theme.

Now, Alicization reads as a different story. But still, without Kirito's previous development, it'd be hard to swallow Alicization. Nevertheless, it is an interesting story, in my view.

Quote:
I agree that Aincrad is the best setting, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let it end quickly rather than dragging it on forever. With a hundred floors and probably another year after the 74th floor it does seem like it'd go on forever with no conclusion in sight. Probably not the best pacing.

For what it's worth, I think Phantom Bullet is a better stand-alone story than Fairy Dance. And it's not completely disconnected from Aincrad either.
Eagerly awaiting for Progressive, mind you.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:49   Link #1577
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

For the record, Alicization is the final SAO story, correct? General conclusion to everything? Or are there still things left over to tackle?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:57   Link #1578
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
For the record, Alicization is the final SAO story, correct? General conclusion to everything? Or are there still things left over to tackle?
Yep. As far as we know, anyway.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 14:03   Link #1579
ZIK5ZIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
YES, web-novel
Old 2012-07-27, 14:22   Link #1580
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yep. As far as we know, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIK5ZIK View Post
YES, web-novel
Thank you. Curious as to what else he might expand, though I haven't gotten to Alicization yet myself. If it's set to go for around volume 15 or so I've heard, wouldn't that make this the longest arc in the series?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality